Start by marking “Forever and the Night (Vampire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forever and the Night (Vampire, #1)

Forever and the Night (Vampire #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,229 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Miller combines her trademark ability to spin a spirited yarn with the deliciously spooky elements of the vampire world. Senator's aide Neely can't resist the erotic charm of reclusive Connecticut millionaire Aidan. But as they become closer, Neely discovers Aidan's dark secret.
Published November 1st 1993 by Berkley Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Forever and the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever and the Night

Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostLover Unbound by J.R. Ward
The Best Adult Vampire Romance Books
248th out of 1,001 books — 3,211 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardThe Duke and I by Julia QuinnSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasMine Till Midnight by Lisa KleypasOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
Best Romance Series
397th out of 895 books — 1,380 voters

More lists with this book...

Traci Flowers
Jan 20, 2013 Traci Flowers rated it really liked it
I will love you beyond forever, in heaven or in hell, in life or in death....

This is the line that captured my attention at eighteen years old, and I never forgot that line. That is actually the blurb from the second book in this four book series by Linda Lael Miller.

This book was my introduction to paranormal romance; I was hooked! I was feeling nostalgic and went searching for some of the romance novels that I still remember reading as a teenager. I never ever, forgot that blurb or these cha
Cassie
Jul 27, 2007 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, vampires
Way back in 1996 I was a single woman living in no where Oklahoma working in the local university library. I was on the net and had even met my future husband (though I didn't know that yet) but I still liked to read... a LOT.

I found myself at a little used bookstore and felt like I had hit the jackpot. I couldn't believe the number of books there for soooooo cheap. One gold mine I found were the Valerian books by Linda Lael Miller.

Vampire Romance - just what I needed during those lonely Oklah
Susan
May 08, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
It's a shame there weren't more than three books in this series. I stumbled on them by accident and took an immediate liking to them. The character of Valerian is especially a favorite. How can you not love a vain, melodramatic, pompus and extravagant centuries old vampire?

The story is well told, the characters well fleshed out, and fun to read and get to know. The plot is somewhat predictable, but that doesn't make it any less fun to read and this is a series I find myself pulling out once eve
Kerrelyn Sparks
Aug 06, 2012 Kerrelyn Sparks rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first vampire series I ever read, and I loved it!
Alex is The Romance Fox
Forever and the Night is the 1st book in Linda Lael Miller’s vampire trilogy and what a great start to the world she has created. Good and bad vampires, who can travel through time and worlds, who love poetry and all the arts……..I just so loved this story.

I was at first a bit unsure about Neely….in fact I wanted to slap her couple of times…geez how could she ever think about giving up this amazing man/vampire – dumb I say. Thank you…she saw the light and made the pain that Aidan had to go throu
Jazmine Frazier
Jan 07, 2011 Jazmine Frazier rated it it was amazing
this book is about star crossed lover.its a human and vampire love story.Aiden the vampire is afraid of being with her because he might hurt her.HE wants to become a human again because he was urned into a vampire against. his will.this is a great book and yes i would recommend this book for someone else
Dana
Mar 09, 2013 Dana rated it it was amazing
I read this a long time ago, and having never read the genre, loved it! I mentally sort books into literature or fun, then let go of expectations and enjoy the ride! These characters have stuck with me all these years, and that fact alone gives it 5 stars.
Fangirl
Nov 04, 2009 Fangirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire
This is one of the early vampire romances that really made me like the genre. I've always been a fan of vampires and to me this book was very enjoyable.
Melissa
Aug 05, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook-books
Linda Lael Miller was one of the first romance writers I read, and one of very few that I have kept up with from time to time over the years when I feel the urge to pick up a romance. When I noticed she had independently re-released this vampire romance on ebook, I thought I would give it a try (it's only $4.99, after all, and I love a good vampire story) and see what her story from nearly 20 years ago was like. Well, as I recently discovered when trying to re-read a book of Miller's recently af ...more
Vettech
Apr 12, 2013 Vettech rated it liked it
This was a difficult book for me to read. Normally vampire books are my favorite, but I nearly stoppd reading this one. My best description is that it was a lot darker vampire book than I'm use to reading. The vamps all seemed to be very unhappy. I mean they all were perfectly satisfied being vampires save one....Aidan Tremayne. He longed to be human again. Especially after he meets human female Neely Wallace while trick or treating with her nephew one Halloween night. Aidan felt his humanity wa ...more
Vallsykes
Already had a thing for vampires...Read Bram Stoker's Dracula in school, whipped through Anne Rice's Chronicles and I ALWAYS fall for "THAT" vampire (or variation of a vampire)...you know....the One with the crazy/dreamy name that bespeaks interesting power and mystery(Mikhail Dubrinsky, Louis de Pointe, Acheron, Aidan Tremayne ; the One that has a tortured or redeeming soul (definitely Aidan Tremayne, Edward Cullen's predecessor LOL); the One who falls for the ordinary or seemingly delicate wom ...more
Shelly Jacobs
Apr 16, 2016 Shelly Jacobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!!

I have my original book from when it was first published and was thrilled to find it here. Reading it again brought back so many memories. I love this series!!!!I rooted for Aidan and Neely and got heartsick over Lisette. Valerian is my vampire hero and the coolest vampire I have never meet but would love to. This series rocks and I totally recommend it. If I could give it a zillion stars I would. I totally love this series! I wish Miss Miller would continue the series but as o
Judy
Feb 14, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this. Total different story lines then alot of the newer vampire stories.

Read again 2/12/2011
Aiden is a vampire, 200 years old and hating every century of it.

His twin Maeve had Valerian change her over when Aiden refused. She would not let him go.

Neely was taking her nephew trick or treating and managed to get to Aiden's mansion. One meeting and they both felt as if they been waiting forever for the other. They both had enemies though.

Neely had turned in evidence against her boss
BJ Rose
Nov 20, 2009 BJ Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, vampires
This is the story of Aidan the Reluctant Vampyre, who was 'made' against his will 200 years ago. He hates being a vampire, especially now since he's met Neely the Human, and has been searching for a way to become human again. His twin sister, Maeve, does not understand; she willingly followed him into the vampire world and has embraced almost everything about it (she does miss the sun). And then there's Valerian, vain and arrogant and beautiful.

There are no real surprises as the story progresse
Shay
Feb 08, 2010 Shay rated it it was amazing
I LOVE these books so much. The first one I read was Valerians book and fell in love. I found these books in the library and had to read the rest. I am disappointed that LLM did not write more vampire books. These books got me interested in vampire romance. I read them years ago and recently found the whole series on ebay and am now re reading them.
Shawnee Bowlin
Mar 17, 2011 Shawnee Bowlin rated it really liked it
Aside from the ending being a bit cheesy, the book was interesting and fun to read. I thought it was interesting that the author wrote in the changes Aiden underwent to be with his true love. The hiding Neely did because of her situation could have been more believable. But I was able to stay with the story to the end.
Kesha
Apr 11, 2012 Kesha marked it as could-not-finish
I tried to finish this book but I couldn't. Hated the time travel, one minute you are reading about present day and then the next you are reading about the 19th century. The first time travel was serioualy confusing to me, until I figured out he time traveled and wasnt just thinking about something that happened in the past.
Amber Brownlow
Oct 01, 2015 Amber Brownlow rated it really liked it
I'm giving this book a 4 star rating based on both this time reading it and also the first time reading it. I absolutely loved this book the first time I read it-because of it I've read various other titles by Linda Lael Miller, causing her to become an author I know I can turn ton for a great story; I've also fallen in love with vampire stories. This time reading the story though, I didn't seem to enjoy it as much; and it seemed to move slower.

All in all, Linda Lael Miller does an amazing job
Jennifer Kronk
I read this a long time ago. Almost more romance than supernatural. Aidan hates being a vamp so he has never worked to become a strong one. It is interesting to see his weakness especially when compared to his sister in the next book.
Simple Lady
Jul 11, 2011 Simple Lady rated it liked it
I was expecting a 'bomb' towards the end but it was not so. Should have added a lil' bit of excitement towards the end. Anyway, I found this book ok. If there is a 1/2 star, I would have given 2 1/2 instead of 3.
Stacey
Aug 14, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it
to be honest i really did not think i would like this book, but it turned out that i actually did like this book!!! pretty awesome!
Norma
Aug 14, 2011 Norma rated it it was amazing
My first paranormal book! I loved it! Still do. And hooked on Linda lael miller books ever since.
Amanda
Feb 28, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
its ending was sooooooo sweet...i was so happy for Neely and Adian!!!
Dena
Different

This is the story of vampires being evil and demon like. Aidan is in agony of being a vampire. He hates it and wants to be a mortal more than anything. However he isn't motivated until Neely comes into the picture. Neely is hiding from her crooked boss and the mafia. With a whole bunch of enemies after them I'm surprised they made it thins long. Overall this is not your typical vampire story because of the black and white version of good and evil.
Julie
Jan 11, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
Took me a while to finish this one. I really enjoyed it but I was disappointed by the ending, kind of broke my heart. I don't want to give anything away I just felt like Aidan wasn't much of a vampire and was kind of weak. Neely was just kind of average so I wasn't carried away with the characters. I think they were kind of forgettable. I will be reading the next book because I am curious about Maeve. I like Miller and would read more of her books, this just wasn't a favorite for me.
Jennifer Gelert
Feb 08, 2015 Jennifer Gelert rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series that I just read. Adien, the twin of Maeve, wants so much to get the curse of being made a vampire against his will. In the process he falls in love with a human and wants to live a normal, mortal life with her. More time travel and exciting vampire fights and romance. While I know it is only fairy tale love, it is still beautiful to know someone is loved so much.
Tammy Sargeant
Apr 21, 2016 Tammy Sargeant rated it really liked it
The very first book I ever read as a teen that got me into vampires. I loved Aiden and his sister Mauve. I can't remember much from this because it has been 16 years since I read this book, but I know the story stuck with me and made me reread it a bunch of times.
barbara a bilak
May 24, 2014 barbara a bilak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vampires and humans.

Love and fear.I enjoy reading about vampires as a break from the mysteries I usually read.This book was very different.A vampire becoming a human as well as a good romance.
Patricia Gadsden
I love this book

This series made !me fall in love with vampires well before twilight. I have this entire series in paperback but wanted to read it again on my Kindle.
Laura Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 Laura Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Long I have looked for old copies of her vampire books. I am glad to find them in e-books. Very different from the westerns but equally enjoyable.
  • Blood Moon (Blood Moon, #1)
  • Shades of Gray (Vampire Trilogy, #1)
  • Daughter Of Camelot (Merlin's Legacy, #6)
  • Prince of Dreams (Val Cache, #2)
  • Be Mine Forever (Forever Vampires #3)
  • Kiss of Darkness (Alliance Vampires, #7)
  • Happy Hour at Casa Dracula (Casa Dracula, #1)
  • Flirting with Forever
  • I Only Have Fangs for You (Young Brothers, #3)
  • Bespelling Jane Austen
  • The Vampire's Quest (Valorian Chronicles #4)
  • When You Wish
  • Pride and Prejudice and Kitties: A Cat-Lover's Romp through Jane Austen's Classic
  • Blood Born (Vampire, #1)
  • Master of Ecstasy (Mackenzie Vampires #1)
  • Even Vampires Get the Blues (Deadly Angels, #6)
  • The Vampire's Seduction (Savannah Vampire, #1)
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e ...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Vampire (4 books)
  • For All Eternity (Vampire, #2)
  • Time Without End (Vampire, #3)
  • Tonight And Always (Vampire, #4)