Forever and the Night (Vampire, #1)

Forever and the Night (Vampire #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  975 ratings  ·  74 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Miller combines her trademark ability to spin a spirited yarn with the deliciously spooky elements of the vampire world. Senator's aide Neely can't resist the erotic charm of reclusive Connecticut millionaire Aidan. But as they become closer, Neely discovers Aidan's dark secret.
Published November 1st 1993 by Berkley (first published 1993)

Alex is The Romance Fox
Forever and the Night is the 1st book in Linda Lael Miller’s vampire trilogy and what a great start to the world she has created. Good and bad vampires, who can travel through time and worlds, who love poetry and all the arts……..I just so loved this story.

I was at first a bit unsure about Neely….in fact I wanted to slap her couple of times…geez how could she ever think about giving up this amazing man/vampire – dumb I say. Thank you…she saw the light and made the pain that Aidan had to go throu...more
Traci Flowers
I will love you beyond forever, in heaven or in hell, in life or in death....

This is the line that captured my attention at eighteen years old, and I never forgot that line. That is actually the blurb from the second book in this four book series by Linda Lael Miller.

This book was my introduction to paranormal romance; I was hooked! I was feeling nostalgic and went searching for some of the romance novels that I still remember reading as a teenager. I never ever, forgot that blurb or these cha...more
Susan
It's a shame there weren't more than three books in this series. I stumbled on them by accident and took an immediate liking to them. The character of Valerian is especially a favorite. How can you not love a vain, melodramatic, pompus and extravagant centuries old vampire?

The story is well told, the characters well fleshed out, and fun to read and get to know. The plot is somewhat predictable, but that doesn't make it any less fun to read and this is a series I find myself pulling out once eve...more
Vallsykes
Already had a thing for vampires...Read Bram Stoker's Dracula in school, whipped through Anne Rice's Chronicles and I ALWAYS fall for "THAT" vampire (or variation of a vampire)...you know....the One with the crazy/dreamy name that bespeaks interesting power and mystery(Mikhail Dubrinsky, Louis de Pointe, Acheron, Aidan Tremayne ; the One that has a tortured or redeeming soul (definitely Aidan Tremayne, Edward Cullen's predecessor LOL); the One who falls for the ordinary or seemingly delicate wom...more
Cassie
Way back in 1996 I was a single woman living in no where Oklahoma working in the local university library. I was on the net and had even met my future husband (though I didn't know that yet) but I still liked to read... a LOT.

I found myself at a little used bookstore and felt like I had hit the jackpot. I couldn't believe the number of books there for soooooo cheap. One gold mine I found were the Valerian books by Linda Lael Miller.

Vampire Romance - just what I needed during those lonely Oklah...more
Jazmine Frazier
this book is about star crossed lover.its a human and vampire love story.Aiden the vampire is afraid of being with her because he might hurt her.HE wants to become a human again because he was urned into a vampire against. his will.this is a great book and yes i would recommend this book for someone else
Dana
I read this a long time ago, and having never read the genre, loved it! I mentally sort books into literature or fun, then let go of expectations and enjoy the ride! These characters have stuck with me all these years, and that fact alone gives it 5 stars.
Fangirl
This is one of the early vampire romances that really made me like the genre. I've always been a fan of vampires and to me this book was very enjoyable.
Melissa
Linda Lael Miller was one of the first romance writers I read, and one of very few that I have kept up with from time to time over the years when I feel the urge to pick up a romance. When I noticed she had independently re-released this vampire romance on ebook, I thought I would give it a try (it's only $4.99, after all, and I love a good vampire story) and see what her story from nearly 20 years ago was like. Well, as I recently discovered when trying to re-read a book of Miller's recently af...more
Vettech
This was a difficult book for me to read. Normally vampire books are my favorite, but I nearly stoppd reading this one. My best description is that it was a lot darker vampire book than I'm use to reading. The vamps all seemed to be very unhappy. I mean they all were perfectly satisfied being vampires save one....Aidan Tremayne. He longed to be human again. Especially after he meets human female Neely Wallace while trick or treating with her nephew one Halloween night. Aidan felt his humanity wa...more
Judy
Really enjoyed this. Total different story lines then alot of the newer vampire stories.

Read again 2/12/2011
Aiden is a vampire, 200 years old and hating every century of it.

His twin Maeve had Valerian change her over when Aiden refused. She would not let him go.

Neely was taking her nephew trick or treating and managed to get to Aiden's mansion. One meeting and they both felt as if they been waiting forever for the other. They both had enemies though.

Neely had turned in evidence against her boss...more
BJ Rose
This is the story of Aidan the Reluctant Vampyre, who was 'made' against his will 200 years ago. He hates being a vampire, especially now since he's met Neely the Human, and has been searching for a way to become human again. His twin sister, Maeve, does not understand; she willingly followed him into the vampire world and has embraced almost everything about it (she does miss the sun). And then there's Valerian, vain and arrogant and beautiful.

There are no real surprises as the story progresse...more
Shay
I LOVE these books so much. The first one I read was Valerians book and fell in love. I found these books in the library and had to read the rest. I am disappointed that LLM did not write more vampire books. These books got me interested in vampire romance. I read them years ago and recently found the whole series on ebay and am now re reading them.
Shawnee Bowlin
Aside from the ending being a bit cheesy, the book was interesting and fun to read. I thought it was interesting that the author wrote in the changes Aiden underwent to be with his true love. The hiding Neely did because of her situation could have been more believable. But I was able to stay with the story to the end.
Kesha
Apr 11, 2012 Kesha marked it as could-not-finish
I tried to finish this book but I couldn't. Hated the time travel, one minute you are reading about present day and then the next you are reading about the 19th century. The first time travel was serioualy confusing to me, until I figured out he time traveled and wasnt just thinking about something that happened in the past.
Jennifer Kronk
I read this a long time ago. Almost more romance than supernatural. Aidan hates being a vamp so he has never worked to become a strong one. It is interesting to see his weakness especially when compared to his sister in the next book.
Simple Lady
I was expecting a 'bomb' towards the end but it was not so. Should have added a lil' bit of excitement towards the end. Anyway, I found this book ok. If there is a 1/2 star, I would have given 2 1/2 instead of 3.
Stacey
to be honest i really did not think i would like this book, but it turned out that i actually did like this book!!! pretty awesome!
Norma
My first paranormal book! I loved it! Still do. And hooked on Linda lael miller books ever since.
Kerrelyn Sparks
This was one of the first vampire series I ever read, and I loved it!
Amanda
its ending was sooooooo sweet...i was so happy for Neely and Adian!!!
barbara a bilak
Vampires and humans.

Love and fear.I enjoy reading about vampires as a break from the mysteries I usually read.This book was very different.A vampire becoming a human as well as a good romance.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I gave the book 3 chapters then gave up. I found it too depressing. It may have a romance in it, but the book reads like a Dracula vampire book. It starts out all dark and depressing. It may improve, as friends have said it does, but since I still don't give a hoot about any of the main characters yet, I don't feel like reading anything more depressing to get me to that point.

Oh, one little surprise I hated... this author's vampires have the ability to travel through space and time just by willi...more
Sascha Illyvich
It's a little farther back than I'd normally go but the story is mostly solid. My bias is a writer one, so I won't spoil it for the readers here. I do intend to read more of her work and see how she's progressed!
Tonda
excellent vampire romance....loved it
Ceej
I love Linda Miller. But I am disappointed to admit I liked very little about this book. Maybe I am biased because in the McKettricks and other books, she presented with strong heros and heroines who have great character and quirky humor. I found it hard to like Aidan or Neely. Valerian was refreshing. His obvious love for Aidan was the standout of this book. Even hating what he had become, it seems Aidan should have been a lot more alpha. Oh well you can't win them all and this does not lessen...more
K.
1st vampire book. i fell in love with Aiden immediately.
lk
Sep 02, 2013 lk added it
*ugh* vampire books just aren't for me ... got to p 49, before falling asleep.

ok - revising this review ... finally did finish the book (on 09/13/13) and, it wasn't that bad ... what was really sweet about the book was it's point about love and how boundless (and endless) it can be between friends, siblings and lovers. Thankfully, after a rough start, it got better (and quicker) at the end. Will give it's companion book (about his sister) a whirl next.
Maria
I don't know what it was about this book but I just can't bring myself to read it. I just can't seem to get interested in it. I have read the first chapter and stopped. I've started the second chapter but don't want to go on anymore.
I won't rate it yet as I will give it another chance some day......maybe its me and not the book that's wrong.
Erin (Paperback Stash)
Just so so, easy to forget, much different for the author, who is successful with traditional romance stories and knows how to weave words together well. There is a distance from the characters which is off putting. The story itself is good enough, but that distance doesn't make the reader care enough to love this book or series.
  • Prince of Dreams (Val Cache, #2)
  • Deeper Than the Night
  • Be Mine Forever (Forever Vampires #3)
  • Blood Moon (Blood Moon, #1)
  • Kiss Of Darkness (Alliance Vampires, #7)
  • With Every Breath (MacLeod, #11)
  • Everlasting Love
  • When Darkness Falls (Vampire #2)
  • Immortal Bad Boys
  • Twilight Fulfilled (Children of Twilight, #2)
  • The Vampire's Quest (Valorian Chronicles #4)
  • Aftershocks
  • The Burning (Companion, #3)
  • Master of Ecstasy (Mackenzie Vampires, #1)
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...
Logan (Montana Creeds, #1) Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2) Tyler (Montana Creeds, #3) McKettrick's Luck (McKettrick Men, #1) (McKettricks, #6) High Country Bride (McKettrick, #1)