Start by marking “City at World's End ” as Want to Read:
City at World's End
Read Book

City at World's End

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  444 ratings  ·  54 reviews
A surprise nuclear war may cause the End of the World, but not the way anyone could have imagined.

"Terrific... Mark Nelson’s narration is super-listenable... very keen Science Fiction." - SFFaudio

Approx. 7 hours
Audiobook
Published March 20th 2012 by Librivox (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about City at World's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City at World's End

The_Mad_Swede
Up until recently, I have to confess that I had not heard of Edmond Hamilton (even though I most likely read some of his work on The Legion of Super-Heroes in my childhood). Having come across some people raving about this book at a Forum, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy and I am certainly glad that I did.

It is a very enjoyable book, which while clearly marked by its time (the 50s) still holds up and keeps surprising the reader. I do not want to reveal too much, since half the fun i
Isobel
Jan 03, 2008 Isobel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like cheese
I gave this book 3 stars because, although it is a terrible mess, I genuinely enjoyed reading it. It is by far the most badly-written, misogynistic, and far-fetched sci-fi novel I have ever read, and it had me laughing constantly.
Julie Davis
Audiobook.

Be careful reading other Goodreads reviews for this novel as some toss spoilers out in their questions or dissatisfaction with the plot.

That said, I am 6 chapters in (listening via narrator Mark Douglas Nelson's SciPodBooks podcast which releases a chapter a week) and am fascinated by this story. Yes, as others have noticed, it does reflect the societal attitudes of the 1950s in which it was written. Ok. What do they expect?

Looking past that, though, is the "end of the world" concept w
Andrew
Fascinating read - both the concept (which I'll leave to the reader to discover) and the amusing thoughts on what the future will be like as perceived by someone in the 1950's. Some interesting messages in the book about sentimentality, fear and happiness. I certainly enjoyed it.
Randy
Aug 01, 2008 Randy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SF fans
I loved this novel the first time I read it as a young man. I own two copies and have read it about half a dozen times. Recommended.
Carlo
Steven
Jim
City at World's End by Edmond Hamilton from 1951 is an old fashioned science fiction novel that is still entertaining, but not quite good. If you love old 1950s SF, this book is fun enough, but like many SF books back then, is short, just a barely fleshed out idea. A small American town is sent into the far distant future by an atomic blast. Earth is growing cold, and all the humans have left for the stars. The inhabitants of Middletown, population 50,000, must find a way to survive the cold. Lu ...more
Karen Hartshorn
It is with mixed feelings I leave this story. I like the story but I didn't like a lot of the persons in the story. For instance the girlfriend, Carol, was a child, a whiney one at that. The mayor is everthing I hate about politicians as a whole. And what ever happened to the spirit of exploration that seems to be what America is about? These people were so homebound that watching the moon launches would have caused them heart attacks and nightmares!

The story uses the idea that adding heat to ea
Becky
-Spoilers-

Ok. Let me make a disclaimer before starting this review: This was standard 1950’s scifi pulp. If you expect more from it than that, you fail for being ridiculous, not the book. :D

Things I loved: Absolutely ridiculous premise that a super atomic bomb can launch a small town millions/billions of years into the future with no other consequences than its just chilling out on a dying earth (ignore the development of disease, bacteria, and you know, possible damage to humans when travelling
C-shaw
I bought the Kindle edition (99 cents) of this 1951 sci-fi novel after reading reviews of it from my Goodreads friends and people I'm following.
* * * * *
It was good, and didn't seem too dated.
Jesse
Though it falls into many familiar sci-fi tropes, Hamilton paints a creative and imaginative story with some interesting characters and plots rife with tension. After finishing this book I felt I enjoyed it but probably wouldn’t be singing it’s praises to anyone anytime soon.

This book was written in 50’s and – like so many good sci-fi books – is very much a commentary on society and the times. A super-massive nuclear bomb goes off and causes a tear in the space time continuum; hurling a small t
Marts  (Thinker)
Imagine just going about the day with your usual procedures, then suddenly you've been catapulted some centuries into the future... Well these are the adventures of the people from a small community called Middletown. After a nuclear explosion, from which the town is strangely spared, everyone ends up about a million years ahead of the time they know and they re seeing the rest of earth dying around them... But soon they meet some advanced races and their only thoughts are those of survival...
Steven
Great perspective on the cultural environment in the early 1950's. It is also interesting in its perspective on technology and what will happen in the future. It makes clear the difficulties on predicting technological advancements.
Leslie Beery
Can a "super atomic bomb" move an entire city millions of years into the future? A clever writer can make a good story out of a preposterous idea. The story pulled me in and kept me in.
Veliander
It is hard to be fair when writing about a book from 1951. At a first glance, the plot is flat, the characters stereotypical, and their behavior often unreasonable and illogical. The book lacks detail, or in fact any explanation about how anything works or happens. "Atomics" is the answer to most technological questions, and the author leaves it at that.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe "unreasonable and illogical" is exactly how a bunch of rednecks would behave if they find themselves torn away
Julianne G Cockey
Past to Future

A wonderful trip to the past and future written with a precision of structure not burdened with scientific terms or elaborate details. It tells a survival story that is enthralling. Forget the negative reviews, let your mind relax and enjoy. Written in 1951, it was carefully done to avoid obvious technical advances. It is true sci fyi, not horror, fantasy or occult. A really good read.
Josh
I read a few of Hamilton's short stories, which compelled me to find more of his work. This book was a pleasant surprise on many levels. Considering the timeframe, this was even more surprising. It's based around the events after the detonation of a super atomic bomb. What happens is not what I originally expected.
If you're looking to read some of Hamilton's work, this isn't a bad place to start. It's a rather original story with good characterization. I will be looking for more of Hamilton's
Ippino
Il titolo originale rende molto meglio lo spirito dell'opera, travisato nella pessima traduzione italiana.
Romanzo tipico degli anni '50, con tutte le ingenuità (alieni antropomorfi che parlano perfettamente inglese) e i cliché (protagonista maschile positivo, protagonista femminile molto carina che si innamora di lui) di tale periodo.
L'inizio è promettente e piuttosto originale, ma lo sviluppo è banale e privo di veri colpi di scena.
Una lettura che si dimentica in fretta.
Amir Adel Anis
What I hate most in reviews is spoilers, so, in order not to disclose any events, minor or major, I'll only say this novel is very entertaining. You can't let it down once you've picked it up. It has adventure, humour, and some good, memorable moments too...

It's never too deep or too shallow, just fun.
Opal
Misogyny abounds in this one. I mean, it's the fifties, but the few women mentioned either cry constantly or do nothing but stereotypical housewife-things. They're called "hysterical" pretty frequently. It was pretty easy to laugh off all the blatant sexism, though.

The characters seemed pretty stilted, and the writing started looking rushed around when Varn Allan and co. showed up. It's not very good, in my opinion, but it's a short read, and I got some entertainment out of it!
Julie Ramsey
Title the city at world's end.

Author: Edmond Hamilton

Time travel in a most unique way the author

told the story. When you think about time,

you don't know who or what changes in the

time line can effect. Who would think of

political problems with Time...

There are things that are some what explained

but not for sure. The story is told from several

points of view, so you get different ways to

look at problems. Politics comes into play anytime

people get to set. The book was a smooth read but

I thi
Tom
Brilliant - Like Lost crossed with Pushing Ice (alistar reynolds). It's offered for free on some ebook sites and its well worth it. A great character piece of people having to make a new society when marooned alone on a stange world.
Chad Cunningham
It was a lot of fun to read this story. It is very much a product of its time, but it was interesting to note the differences between this and modern post-apocalyptic fiction.
Peter
An enjoyable story. Not a classic of the genre, but that's OK. It's good to sometimes find a book that is less well known than some of the top choices from the era.

It has some of the usual problems of pulpy Sci-Fi from that time; wooden characterization, unbelievable female characters, somewhat dubious Science. But just go ahead and completely suspend that disbelief and read a fairly good story. I did find it quite a bit more optimistic than a lot of other Sci-Fi, not just from the 50's but Sci
S.A. Gibson
Great old school science fiction from the 1950s. What will the distant future be like?
Alias Pending
A least its an ambitious scifi artifact, if thematically repugnant.
Jason Brinkerhoff
Obviously dated a bit both scientifically and socially, as it was written in the late 40s.

There is a lot of talk about women's hysterics, but later there is a strong female leader. I'm not sure if that balances things, or if it was intended as a social commentary of any kind.

Overall it was entertaining enough for scifi pulp. The librivox audio book is exceptionally narrated. I would recommend this to fans of the genre looking for a light read/listen who might find the social and science aspects
Jessica
Terrible 50s pulp sci-fi, but I listened to it anyway.
Culture 1 3 Dec 18, 2014 03:59AM
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Fury
  • Brain Twister
  • Close to Critical (Mesklin, #2)
  • The Black Star Passes
  • Mining the Oort
  • Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)
  • The Long Tomorrow
  • Galaxies Like Grains of Sand
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • Four Day Planet
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • The Door Through Space
  • After Doomsday
  • The Imperial Stars (Family d'Alembert, #1)
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • The Complete Tales of Nikolai Gogol, Volume 1
61942
Edmond Moore Hamilton was a popular author of science fiction stories and novels throughout the mid-twentieth century. Born in Youngstown, Ohio, he was raised there and in nearby New Castle, Pennsylvania. Something of a child prodigy, he graduated high school and started college (Westminster College, New Wilmington, Pennsylvania) at the age of 14--but washed out at 17. He was the Golden Age writer ...more
More about Edmond Hamilton...
The Star Kings Starwolf Return To The Stars (John Gordon, #2) The Best of Edmond Hamilton World Of The Starwolves (Starwolf, 3)