Start by marking “Ogilvy on Advertising” as Want to Read:
Ogilvy on Advertising

Ogilvy on Advertising

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,691 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
A candid and indispensable primer on all aspects of advertising from the man Time has called "the most sought after wizard in the business". 223 photos.
Published March 12th 1985 by Vintage (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Ogilvy on Advertising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ogilvy on Advertising

Ogilvy on Advertising by David OgilvyCopygirl by Anna MitchaelThe Advertising Concept Book by Pete BarryNaked News for Indie Authors by Gisela HausmannMade to Stick by Chip Heath
Advertising Suggested Reading List
1st out of 42 books — 32 voters
Ogilvy on Advertising by David OgilvyD&AD by D&ADHey, Whipple, Squeeze This by Luke SullivanSorry for the lobsters by Neil FrenchConfessions of an Advertising Man by David Ogilvy
Advertising
1st out of 24 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Trang Ngo
Dec 07, 2014 Trang Ngo rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, creativity
What I have learnt from Ogilvy on Advertising

- black letter on white background!!! the reverse does not work

- do research on what the audience wants to see, do not just base on your preference

- if it does not sell, it isn’t creative

- order of print ad: picture, headlines, subheadlines, words (that’s what the audience's mind wants)

- there are many advertising agencies because one can not work for its clients’ competitors

- long-term contract with clients is crucial to the business

- keep track of t
Jen
Sep 12, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
I've had this book in my shelves for a couple years and finally sat down to begin reading it recently. And I'm so, so, soooo mad at myself because I wish I had read this immediately when I first picked it up!

Although it was written decades ago and contains information that will be construed as outdated (especially since the look of advertising has definitely changed substantially), a lot of it is still sound and relevant. I don't work in advertising, but I was thinking of a ton of areas where th
Stephanie W
Nov 25, 2010 Stephanie W rated it really liked it
If you've ever been interested in working at an ad agency, if you've ever worked at an ad agency, or if you ever had a strong affinity for the Mastercard Priceless (McCann Erickson) or the Got Milk campaign (Goodby Silverstein), you must read this book. Not only does David Ogilvy give great advice from inside the business, but he presents his wonderfully written copy with the best parts of a vintage Life magazine (the pictures). Ogilvy clearly states the best steps for breaking into the business ...more
мини тяло
Jun 20, 2016 мини тяло rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-edited
Тази книга ми е повод за гордост откъм редакция, не само защото е ценна и интересна, а и защото ни я връщаха толкова пъти. Което оценявам, понеже вече е близо до съвършенство. Много хора стоят зад тази любопитна и занимателна рекламна библия, радвам се, че и аз съм сред тях.
Дейвид Огилви е бащата на едни от най-популярните реклами, които познаваме. Беше адски интересно да надникна в неговия свят и то от неговата перспектива. И така обичам, когато авторът е откровен и автентичен. Тук Огилви наист
Ben
Nov 02, 2007 Ben rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Advertisers and Designers
If you want to have ANYTHING to do with advertising, you must read this book. If you want to have ANYTHING to do with graphic design, you must have something to do with advertising...
Erika
Apr 13, 2013 Erika rated it really liked it
Recommended to Erika by: Rory Hodgson
Ogilvy is brilliant. Even with the advent of the internet, the core of advertising remains the same because basic human motives remain the same, and what he has to say is still very relevant.

While the rest of the book is packed with time-honored strategies and tips, his talent is especially evident in the chapter dedicated to past advertising giants.

This might seem like a fluff chapter to those people just looking to absorb facts, but it is far more valuable – he is showing you how to communica
Cristián Morales Marroquín
Im much more keen on propaganda than advertising nowadays. However, I enjoyed re-reading this book a lot. I had read this years ago for an introductory class on advertising. Its required reading for any publicist since it develops fundamental concepts about the trade that David learned through experience and research.

The chapter on Competing with Procter & Gamble and the description of their methods was my favorite.

*********************************************

The 道 of ethics in advertising.
Partha
Sep 14, 2007 Partha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: insights on advertising from the legend
Shelves: advertising
David Ogilvy is a class apart in advertising..

“At 60 miles an hour the loudest noise in this new Rolls-Royce comes from the electric clock.” who can ever forget this ad that made David Ogilvy famous..

the story goes that rolls royce gave the campaign brief as 'create an ad that people would read and never forget..' and with a very tight budget..

Ogilvy's stress on research was at the forefront of the campaign..
Very few professionals in the advertising laid so much stress on research and data to be
Stefan Vali
Feb 02, 2015 Stefan Vali rated it really liked it
Refreshing. Good to see a realistic perspective on what creativity is and isn't in the advertising context.
Justin Beirold
Apr 05, 2016 Justin Beirold rated it it was amazing
If you know a lot about advertising, Ogilvy's talent will practically jump off the page. For you, this book may serve as a reminder of the fundamentals- proof that there is a difference between good and bad advertising, and that it's not magic but insight that determines success and failure. The payoff for producing a successful ad is disproportionately huge, and a terrible or offensive ad can easily destroy a whole brand.

If you don't know anything about advertising and want to learn more, this
Григорий Успенский
Nice! Quotes:

Now consider how you want to ‘position’ your product. My own definition is ‘what the product does, and who it is for.’

One of his observations was that photographs with an element of ‘story appeal’ were far above average in attracting attention.

Not long ago, all Paris was agog over a series of posters which appeared on the hoardings. Th
Roilunggu
Jul 15, 2015 Roilunggu rated it it was amazing
Here is how I learn from this great classic book:

1. Advertising is production cost, not selling cost
9. Subject under the picture have 10% more
Leonidas Kaplan
Apr 08, 2015 Leonidas Kaplan rated it really liked it
David Ogilvy on Advertising

This dude is one of the inspirations for the show 'Mad Men'. 'Mad Men' was a show about the advertising geniuses who had offices on Madison Avenue in New York city.

Nonetheless, this book isn't a fictional tale, but rather, some of the most indepth knowledge learned from over 40 years of being in the 'Advertising business' circa 1940-1983 (I believe).

The main focus of this book? How to reach your audience and SELL!
Here are some tips from Ogilvy on big ideas:
"
1. Did it
Sonam  Puri
Aug 05, 2015 Sonam Puri rated it it was amazing
You can read it hundred times.
Andrew
Feb 15, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Highly informative and wonderfully written. Its full of personal anecdotes and glossy photos.
Anurag
Jun 12, 2016 Anurag rated it it was amazing
Advertising principles elucidated with brilliant examples.
Cippi
Aug 28, 2007 Cippi rated it really liked it
wanna know basic knowledge of 'evilish' advertising? this is your bible, written by lord of advertising, spiced-up with outstanding award-winning ads samples. it's a gift from a buddy Dedeng, he got it from Mac909
Kimee
Apr 09, 2014 Kimee rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A great introduction to good copywriting, advertising, and communication in general. Though, I must say, this is the thought that lingers longest:

Why do we still have billboards?
Ahu
May 06, 2013 Ahu rated it it was amazing
Considered as a holy book when we were freshmen at college!a lot has changed but still an inspiring one
Nigel Temple
Jan 25, 2008 Nigel Temple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing-books
David Ogilvy thought deeply about advertising and produced great results for his clients.
Leanne Wood
Dec 04, 2010 Leanne Wood rated it liked it
An older book that is still very relevant!
Dmitry Kuriakov
Dec 04, 2015 Dmitry Kuriakov rated it it was amazing
Книга номер один по рекламе от знаменитого рекламщика Дэвида Огилви «Огилви о рекламе» является небольшим сборником рекомендаций того, что в первую очередь нужно знать маркетологу или человеку, работающему в рекламном бизнесе. Можно сказать, это блиц ответы на вопросы о том, как создавать рекламу (или как она должна выглядеть) и на что непосредственно нужно обратить внимание, без ухода в дебри и тонкости создания рекламы. В целом в книге рассматривается в основном печатная реклама, т.е. как эффе ...more
David
May 28, 2016 David rated it it was amazing
There are 5-7 books on my desk at work at any given time. This book has NEVER left my desk.

It blows me away how NOT full of crap this book is. I've read dozens of books on marketing / advertising and would be lucky to grasp a couple of useful nuggets from each one. Not so with this book. David lays out a complete guide for how to plan an advertising campaign - start to finish.

Things that make this book so valuable:

- Tons of actual ads, with performance data to boot
- topics broken down logical
matt.geek.nz
May 05, 2009 matt.geek.nz rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I really enjoyed this. David Ogilvy lays out his wisdom on all aspects of the advertising industry: how to write an ad, how to run an agency, how the industry works, and how to get a job in it. His focus is on print, and to a lesser degree television, and there is a heavier emphasis on copy than on art direction, which suits me just fine. And he loves research: he's less interested in fads and fashions than he is in what is actually proven to work.

Is this stuff still relevant in the internet ag
Ben Z.
Jan 24, 2012 Ben Z. rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a worthy read for anyone in advertising, marketing, or any creative services field.

Ogilvy was an innovator of modern advertising and his pragmatic approach to creating great ads, running an agency, winning and keeping clients, going global, etc. etc. still hold true almost 30 years after this book was first published.

As I read the book I kept wondering what Ogilvy would have thought of the Internet (or desktop publishing for that matter). As an industry pioneer he probably would have s
Jeremy
Jan 27, 2014 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Business Owners, Marketers
Shelves: business, psychology
One of the best advertising books, and a natural follow-up to Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins. I recommend both of these books for anyone responsible for getting the word out for an organization.

Human psychology hasn't changed much, so the basics still work. Ogilvy is a master of them.

My Life in Advertising and Scientific Advertising
Ps Chua
Dec 16, 2014 Ps Chua rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young advertisers/marketers
A must-read book for young, fresh advertisers/marketers to learn everything about the world of advertising. It covers almost all aspects and fields of advertising except the millennial ones i.e. Digital and Social Advertising.

Nevertheless, it provides good context, insights and further reading list to learn more about the world of advertising. In general, the whole world of advertising works on several proven principles that are shared in this book, hence making it a must-read even if you are i
Michael Conway
Jan 24, 2015 Michael Conway rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Advertising Wanna Be's
It was very influential when I first read it at 24 years old. I've recently read it again and though I still find it exceptional, I must admit that I've become more of a Luke Sullivan fan over the years. Give "Hey Whipple, Squeeze This" a try. The opening chapter when Snuggles the Fabric Softener bear gets assasinated is completely worth the price of admission.
Jason Mashak
Jan 06, 2016 Jason Mashak rated it really liked it
Time-tested best practices for catching fleeting attention spans. Enjoyed Ogilvy's confident approach at pointing to even his mistakes and losses as valuable learnings. Only difficult aspect was mentally converting those learnings/best practices to the digital realm, where points like "minimum of 350 words" (e.g.) simply isn't going to work anymore.
Josh
Nov 06, 2015 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at advertising in the golden days. You even get the occasional practical wisdom nugget.

A lot of the content is outdated. For example, the author states that there's no way to determine the price for a product, and there never will be. We certainly can with today's research.

Overall an excellent read to give you a broad understanding of advertisings interesting history.
Effectivness of Ogilvy on Advertising 3 28 Jul 06, 2012 12:09PM
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • Scientific Advertising
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Hoopla
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • Creative Advertising: Ideas and Techniques from the World's Best Campaigns
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • How to Write a Good Advertisement
  • D&AD: The Copy Book
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • The Brand Gap
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Hegarty on Advertising
  • The Art of Writing Advertising: Conversations with Masters of the Craft: David Ogilvy, William Bernbach, Leo Burnett, Rosser Reeves,
  • The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era
David Mackenzie Ogilvy was born in West Horsley, England, on June 23, 1911. He was educated at Fettes College in Edinburgh and at Christ Church, Oxford (although he didn't graduate).
david ogilvy After Oxford, Ogilvy went to Paris, where he worked in the kitchen of the Hotel Majestic. He learned discipline, management - and when to move on: "If I stayed at the Majestic I would have faced years of s
More about David Ogilvy...

“If each of us hires people who are smaller than we are, we shall become a company of dwarfs. But if each of us hires people who are bigger than we are, we shall become a company of giants.” 12 likes
“I do not regard advertising as entertainment or an art form, but as a medium of information. When I write an advertisement, I don’t want you to tell me that you find it ‘creative.’ I want you to find it so interesting that you buy the product.” 9 likes