Start by marking “Me of Little Faith” as Want to Read:
Me of Little Faith

Me of Little Faith

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  2,214 ratings  ·  341 reviews
What do we believe? And for God'ssake why?

These are the thorny questions that Lewis Black, the bitingly funny comedian, social critic, and bestselling author, tackles in his new book, Me of Little Faith. And he's come up with some answers. Or at least his answers. In more than two dozen essays that investigate everything from the differences between how Christians and Jew
Published June 2nd 2009 by Riverhead Trade (first published June 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Me of Little Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me of Little Faith

Michael
I'm a huge fan of Lewis Black: I think he's very funny but also very smart, even (especially) when taking on some of stickiest issues. That is why I was so disappointed with this book.

I think it may simply be that Black's humor doesn't translate well into the written form. It felt like he was stuck in between two goals: an honest but amusing discussion of religion and an effort to translate his loud-yelling style of humor onto paper. But his voice never came through, and the book ended up with b
Jake
Lewis Black is one of my favorite comedians. He would have to completely suck before I’d pan his material. That being said, I’m not inclined to call this a masterwork of comedy. I was much more taken in by Bill Maher’s recent film Religulous, for instance. And digging back further, everyone should hear Bill Cosby’s classic treatment of Noah and the Ark.

At times, I feel Mr. Black wanders, and not in a humorous way. Too often his thesis boils down to an anticlimactic confession of bafflement rega
No Remorse
First time i laughed was when he said "Im a Jew. Im not stupid." and inside my head i just laughed, haha stupid jew...

I don't know why exactly but i love reading about all of the insane and retarded stories and laws in religion that make absolutley no sense whatsoever. This is mostly what he does in this book, pure entertainment.

The chapter, In the land of seagulls was great, Lewis Black sums up how the mormon religion was founded, which is very true because I actually read it in the book of mor
dara
Feb 02, 2010 dara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Lewis Black, so you can hear his voice/delivery in your head as you read
It took awhile to pick up pace/catch my attention. There isn't much groundbreaking material--a bit of it I've heard in his standup routines already. Part of that is probably my own fault for waiting until the book was on sale for $5 to read it. The essays just seem like common sense to me, but it's worth reading for the occasional line that is distinctly Lewis Black enough that you can imagine him shouting it at you.

As an Atheist, I don't think the book was offensive enough.

It ended with a play
Kris
Lewis Black is one of my favorite stand-up comedians. His commentary on everything from politics to religion to our fascination with pseudo-celebrities always makes me laugh out loud, so I thought I would really enjoy this book. I was expecting a well-reasoned, but humorous, book-length essay on what is wrong with (organized) religion today, and how we could go about fixing it; what I got, instead, was a series of short, chapter-length rants about the usual topics associated with religion: telev ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Not the greatest, and not all that funny, but he is terribly candid, and he makes some observations about religion that ought to make believers think hard about why they believe. Of course, most seriously religious people won't bother to read a book like this, more's the pity.

Here are some great truths from the book:

"Religion is based on dissatisfaction with the real world."

"It always seemed strange to me that people gave up drugs for religion just to get high on their new-found beliefs."

"They
Christina
Up until the very end of the book, I was ready to give it three-four stars ... And then I got to the truly, truly awful script from the show he put on with Mark Linn-Baker, of "Perfect Strangers" fame. Oh, good God. Any salient points Black had made previously as to the odd relationship between religion, faith, and comedy we out the window. Seriously, if you read this book, STOP at the "Laundry Hour" chapter.

Before that disaster of a script, things were a bit uneven in Black's written tirade, bu
Mina
Overall, the book is a quick read. He sort of lost me at the end with the transcription of the show he did decades ago, and that seemed to crush the momentum of the previous 200 pages. The last chapter was a clever idea stated with much too little enthusiasm.

I liked it, though. The man really can yell in print; and while reading this, I went to see "Religulous," which made me think the two personalities should get together and answer a few of each other's questions and have a laugh. Neither wou
Shaun Thomas
While Lewis's voice is clearly present in this loosely related collection of religious-themed anecdotes, it felt like he was calling it in, especially toward the end.

And very unlike Lewis, on one of his rants about Jimmy Swaggart, he misinterpreted Mr. Swaggart's apology to The Lord following his infidelities. Jimmy figured God would forget all about his transgressions, and Lewis took that literally--that He was some kind of Alzheimer patient. He went on for pages about this. The problem is that
Alan
Jul 01, 2010 Alan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Unitarians
Recommended to Alan by: As Seen on TV
This book by the acerbic and hilarious Lewis Black, standup comedian and regular on The Daily Show, turns out to be oddly serious in tone. It's more autobiography than comedy, though there are some wickedly funny bits, and is self-described as a spiritual work, outlining what Black believes (including some real surprises) as well as what he doesn't believe (which is a vastly larger territory), in terms that are both sophisticated and accessible.

As long as you're willing to give him a break, that
Michelle
While the title suggests Black has little faith and though he lays out his gripes against various organized religions he does reveal his own brand of faith, which merely has little to do with dogma. I know plenty of very theologically conservative people who would react as he describes a former classmate's reaction (a letter seeking to lay out the evangelical Christian road to heaven). I'd like instead to see them actually read this book and consider some of what Black says because whether one a ...more
Mark
Lewis Black is one of those comics that use humor to entertain, but also educate. His stand-up is renown for its harsh, direct, but on-point delivery, his twitching and explosive outbursts are part and parcel of his act. Being Jewish, he often points out his atheism and the ridiculousness of religious belief, at least on stage. The book is, at least it seems, a bit different.

The book's theme is obvious but often the theme seems lost in the content. The stories include his experiences with severa
Rod
I'm a seriously religious Christian who read this Book. I always enjoy a humorous approach to religion.

And I get a kick out of Lewis Black generally. In the end I have to say Lewis did a somewhat fair job. He's no religious scholar or Biblical theologian (and He clearly shares that with us) but what he IS is a guy who has a few questions/concerns/mockings of things that don't seem to agree with him. Fair enough. So do I.

His chapter on Michael "The Psychic" was amusing. Although Lewis Black is a
Becky
I am wondering if one hasn't seen Lewis Black on HBO or Comedy Central, would this book hold its own? On the other hand, if one has seen Lewis Black, does this measure up to his stand up routines?

I happen to be working on a book club review where the author (Landay) has made me realize how much the prior "author experience" can affect one's evaluation. Landay refuses to pander to his publicists who want all sorts of personal tidbits about his personal life as he strongly affirms the position th
Dj
A little more than half way through and I'm giving up. I love his comedy, but this is non-fiction and he believes in psychics, out of body experiences, ghosts, angels, astrology, and auras. As a set of anecdotes and commentary it's entertaining and even funny at times, but his views are that of someone who is not a critical thinker. It falls over that line to where it's blather. Too bad. I adore his standup.
Daniel
I like Lewis Black. I love his style of humor and his delivery. I've read Nothing's Sacred which was OK. I've also seen him perform in New York on the Let Them Eat Cake tour a few years ago and had a blast. He is a sharp and intelligent comedian.
But THIS book, boy. What a flop. I can't believe that Black, with his talent, mileage and wit, came up with this bore. Too few funny ideas and moments and too many fillers just can't make up a book. Maybe he was obligated by the publishers to write this
Shawn
Me of Little Reviews.
This book's entertainment value is limited to how well you can pull off a Lewis Black voice in your head. He's no theologian - and he says as much, if you were somehow under the impression that he was - but he plainly contradicts the title of the book: chapter after chapter we see him having experiences that bring him to believe in many things that he admits are a stretch.
Ignoring the diaphonous attempt at having real substance or arguments, it's still well-written and chuck
Kaliki
One of the funniest books I've read in a long time. I loved it from start to finish. But beware... many, many people will not like this book in the least. If you are conservative about religion at all, don't even peak at the cover. (Or if the f-word bothers you, don't touch this book.)

Did Lewis Black write this book to be funny? Yes. Was he also honest about his views of the hypocrisy's within religions? Indeed. Which was his primary motivation? Who cares? The book is entertaining. His views are
Wayne Fitzpatrick
I would have given it 2.5 stars if that is possible (still kind of new at this)...

Something of a disappointment, Mr. Black. In this lighthearted memoir/comedic effort, Lewis seems to be explaining, or better yet justifying, his doubts on religion, even going so far as to retell an experience where he felt the presence of a loved one who had passed (naturally after they had passed away). While that is all well and good, the title would indicate an absence of such "spiritualism" as he defines it.
Alison
I have a mixed opinion of this one. As may be apparent from the title, Louis Black's premise in this book is to leave no religion untouched by his scathing sarcasm. As he explains in the beginning...the one thing the religions of the world really need is a sense of humor. Ok. I totally agree with that. As far as his execution of said premise goes, it's kind of hit and miss. He starts out with an obvious formula. First he tackles the religion he grew up with, Judaism, before moving on to Catholic ...more
Wolfman
Moments of insight and moments of humor, but not enough of either, and the insightful stuff is never humorous, nor is the humorous stuff ever insightful. Lewis Black is a comedian, and he is pretty funny from what I have seen. He is definitely irreverant, which I like, but I don't see why he wanted to write a book about religion and faith. It felt kind of like he wanted to say something important, and he verges on doing that sometimes...but then he ruins it with a cheap joke. Also, he begins by ...more
Faith Justice
This was my subway commuting book for a couple of weeks - short chapters or collections of short stories work well for that. Black is at his best when skewering the idiocies of organized religion and televangelists. His rage at hypocrisy is palpable. He warns people in his preface that if they are religious and can't laugh about their religion they SHOULD NOT READ THE GD (expletive deleted) BOOK. EVER. And he's right. Profoundly religious people will find this book offensive.

However, the title i
Charles
Comedian, satirist, and playwright, Lewis Black offers a collection of essays concerning his personal experience with faith, organized religion and even psychic phenomenon.

Black's combination of biting satire and person insight results in one of the most nuanced and powerful books on faith in America to come along in a while. After the recent spate of books from bitter, absolutist atheists (e.g. "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris), Black's book is a welcome injection of common sense.

Although Lewis
Mark
I knew going into this that Lewis Black was going to offend me... but my experience with his comedy (someone else here on Goodreads called it "intellectual comedy") suggested that he might have some interesting/funny things to say about a subject that, let's face it, can use an occasional pie in the face.

But I kept getting hung up on inconsistencies - Lewis styles himself as atheist/agnostic (yes, I realize they aren't the same thing), but is amazed at the accuracy of astrology & has a long-

Schnaucl
Jul 08, 2009 Schnaucl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Lewis Black
I find that reading a book written by a comedian is a hit and miss proposition. Sometimes the humor comes as much from the delivery as the material so it loses something in book form (see, for example Jon Stewart's Naked Pictures of Famous People). I didn't have that problem at all with this book. Part of that may have been that I didn't have any problem at all hearing how Black would deliver most of the lines. He has a pretty distinctive style, and that comes through on the written page almost ...more
Erin
I don't always enjoy books by comedians I like - there's often something lost without their delivery (I guess I should switch to the audio versions), but I quite enjoyed this, and even had some actual laugh-out-loud moments (especially in the chapter about his Hanukkah gifts). Black doesn't exclude any religion from his skewering (and yet he has had a number of spiritual experiences in his life that he relates in the book, related to a number of different instigating factors, including nature, m ...more
Brita
Book Lust

Anyone else love Lewis Black as much as I do? His shouty rants about politics and other idiotic things are usually spot on and are a form of catharsis to the rest of us who are frustrated, but can’t go around shouting profanities in public. I always knew he was Jewish by heritage, but in Me of Little Faith he elaborates on his upbringing and how he has approached faith in various ways.

It turns out that Black is not an atheist as I would have expected, but nor is he a follower of organiz
Daniel Currie
I listened to the unabridged 5CD version of this book.

I'm still trying to figure out why Lewis Black decided he should write a book about his views on religion or why I should care. I picked it up very cheap so thought I'd give it a listen.

There are a few decent laughs and I certainly wasn't offended by anything he had to say. It was worth a listen until the last CD, which is a re-creation of a stage play he did when was just starting out. That is not good, not good at all.
Dana
This was an articulate and funny look at faith. It wasn't what I expected, and a friend of mine pointed out that I may have enjoyed it more if I'd chosen the audio book route. I admit, I was surprised at the lack of all-capital sentences considering how much Black (one of my favorite comics) yells in his routines. But I still laughed out loud, more than once. This in general seemed like a gentler approach to the subject, but it's likely that this was due to the format of text.

That being said, I
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Writers and Artists Who Made the National Lampoon Insanely Great
  • 3 x Carlin: An Orgy of George
  • I Rant, Therefore I Am
  • 50 Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists
  • Prisoner of Trebekistan: A Decade in Jeopardy!
  • There's Probably No God: the Atheists' Guide to Christmas
  • The Dilbert Future : Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century
  • Penn & Teller's How to Play in Traffic
  • Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians
  • The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason
  • More Information Than You Require
  • Black Bird
  • Silent Bob Speaks: The Selected Writings
  • Breaking Their Will: Shedding Light on Religious Child Maltreatment
  • The Religion Virus: Why We Believe in God: An Evolutionist Explains Religion's Incredible Hold on Humanity
Lewis Niles Black is an American stand-up comedian, author, playwright and actor. He is known for his comedy style which often includes simulating a mental breakdown or an increasingly angry rant, ridiculing history, politics, religion, trends and cultural phenomena. He hosted Comedy Central's The Root of All Evil and makes regular appearances on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart delivering his "Bac ...more
More about Lewis Black...
Nothing's Sacred I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas One Slight Hitch One Hand Jerking: Reports From an Investigative Journalist A Survivor's Guide to Washington: How to Succeed Without Losing Your Soul

“Who knew that the devil had a factory where he made millions of fossils, which his minions distributed throughout the earth, in order to confuse my tiny brain?” 182 likes
“Each of us is full of shit in our own special way. We are all shitty little snowflakes dancing in the universe.” 181 likes