Start by marking “Marriage Fitness: 4 Steps to Building & Maintaining Phenomenal Love” as Want to Read:
Marriage Fitness: 4 Steps to Building & Maintaining Phenomenal Love

Marriage Fitness: 4 Steps to Building & Maintaining Phenomenal Love

Marriage Fitness is a revolutionary step-by-step system for creating a phenomenal marriage. Whether you?re happy, satisfied, frustrated, angry, or bored, Marriage Fitness can help you get your marriage in the best shape of its life. Like physical fitness, Marriage Fitness is for everyone. Marriage Fitness is based on the universal laws of love. Just as diet and exercise de ...more
Published September 25th 2004 by Marriage Max Inc (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Marriage Fitness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marriage Fitness

Amanda
Nov 24, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely the best marriage book I have ever read. The book focuses on serving your spouse instead of focusing on being understood and communicating. This seems strange because being understood and communication is important but I also know you love the people you serve and you if someone serves you, you end up loving them and trusting them. So if you want your spouse to love you, serve them. This book is very practical and real. This is not a quick solution but an incredible one! I rea ...more
Rachel
Mar 17, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
All married people should read this book. You know how everyone says marriage takes work, how vague is that. This guy breaks it down, marriage takes 5 non-essential phone call, 6 hugs, 3 yearly getaways, 1 date a week, etc. I complete agree with the idea that when your in love the problems become minor details. I never liked Mars and Venus, thought it's principles were way off, I heard the author is now divorced, I'm not surprised, maybe too much time in the cave telling his wife to understand c ...more
Jody Mahoney
Apr 17, 2011 Jody Mahoney rated it it was ok
Though this book may have some valid tips for rekindling a marriage, I found it incredibly repetative and a little rediculous. I didn't find it very well written and I definitely felt it was a brag book for the author.
Kirsti Call
Mar 04, 2011 Kirsti Call rated it really liked it
When I was working as a marriage therapist I read lots of books on this topic. This book, although somewhat simplistic and sappy at times, is an incredible resource for practical things you can do to improve your marraige. Every couple should read this and begin the 14 week marraige fitness program. It can only increase your happiness.
Carisa Crosbie
Sep 14, 2013 Carisa Crosbie rated it it was amazing
This is a GREAT book for anyone who wants to improve their marriage. Whether they already have a great marriage and want to make it even better, or are struggling in their marriage but want to make it work.
Feb 24, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Todd and I have decided to read this book together. It is about making your spouse your soul mate instead of just being compatable. Very intersting concept in this book.
A
May 15, 2008 A rated it really liked it
Among my top 4 favorite resources for marriage and marriage counseling!
Rachel Roberts
Oct 22, 2007 Rachel Roberts rated it it was amazing
This book helped me see my part in my relationship with my spouse in a whole new light. Very inspirational. I suggest reading it with your spouse.
Helen
Nov 05, 2009 Helen rated it it was amazing
This is the most incredible marriage book I've ever read. It really gets at the heart of creating a wonderful relationship. I'll be reading it over and over.
Aug 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Practical stuff that can really make a difference. But why did he choose to put himself on the cover?
Jessica
May 09, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing

This is an amazing book on marriage!
Christen
Jul 28, 2014 Christen rated it it was ok
I read this book for a discussion group. Ugh! I suppose that these techniques would be good for a couple with older children who have family near them. Plus who have a good bit of extra income. Otherwise, trying to hire a baby sitter and go out for a date EVERY WEEK, plus get away for 3 DAYS, 3 TIMES A YEAR(!) would be cost prohibitive. Also, I think his advice might work better for extroverts than introverts. I think my husband used to call me a few times a day when we were first married, and I ...more
Douglas Lord
Oct 03, 2014 Douglas Lord rated it it was amazing
Marriage coach Fertel skillfully inverts the usual solve-the-problem approach and instead asserts that deep, euphoric love will (like magic) make problems go away. Instead of finding the right person, Fertel writes that we should build a lasting love with the person we found. Marriage is being there for your spouse in thousands of small ways; some surprisingly sound methods, e.g., give your spouse a "positive verbal interaction" for a minute or more five times daily, help couples fall back in lo ...more
Weavre
Jun 17, 2008 Weavre rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in a relationship
Recommended to Weavre by: Various reviewers when I looked for something like this
This wonderful little book is worth its weight in gold ... platinum ... gasoline, even!

The advice in here is strong enough to help a marriage weather a rocky point, but don't wait for that to read it and put its suggestions to use! It's written as a way to build a strong, incredible partnership in the context of any relationship, and it works--really.

And, while it's written for traditional couples, it was pretty simple to adapt while reading and apply it to my own same-sex relationship. In fact,
Lulu
Jan 26, 2016 Lulu rated it really liked it
I learned more about myself, how to address the things I didn't like about me and how to be a better, more understanding partner for my next relationship.

I found some perspectives to be too strict and somewhat old fashioned but not in a bad way, every relationship is dynamic and building the right one with your partner comes from good communication- this book shows you the right way to develop good communication habits and how to continue to learn all of who your partner over the years.

Becky
Mar 13, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
"Love is a verb" - one of the many insightful statements in this book. It's so easy to just ride in a marriage, like it's a bus that I'm taking a journey on; but in reality, successful marriages must be tended daily, more like a garden. There are many stories, lists, exercises, and encouraging examples used by the author to guide towards successful marriage. I also like that this isn't a huge tome - it's only 182 pages.
Stacey
Jun 01, 2013 Stacey rated it really liked it
This book was a fascinating discussion about the things that can be done to build connection in a marriage. Some of the author's theories are a bit out there such as never touching members of the opposite sex. However, there are some great activities and ideas that can be used to rebuild intimacy and/or strengthen marital connection.
Megan Titensor
Aug 24, 2014 Megan Titensor rated it liked it
This was a fast, easy read with some very practical strategies for keeping "love" as the main focus of your marriage. Sounds obvious, but can be more challenging the longer you are with someone. This goes beyond communication techniques and fault to the positive side of choosing to fall in love again.
Rick
Jan 01, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing
Great book. The challenge is to implement his exercises.
Cathy Floreen
Mar 28, 2016 Cathy Floreen rated it liked it
Had a lot of practical information, but I didn't agree with how much it prioritized the relationship into the #1 status in your life.
Jill
Mar 03, 2009 Jill rated it liked it
It had good reminders in it and JC and I made it 3/4 the way through the book and then we fizzled and haven't finished it yet
Andrea
Mar 05, 2011 Andrea marked it as to-read
Kirsti says to read it, so I'm going to read it!
Larry Hansen
Sep 28, 2016 Larry Hansen rated it really liked it
This is a less conventional approach to marriage therapy. I think it could help most marriages if read together before the relationship metastasizes.
Sam
Mar 04, 2008 Sam rated it really liked it
A good way of learning how to keep your focus on what is most important. Great tips on how to keep a marriage healthy.
angelle
Great insights and exercises. Less complicated than a lot of marriage books. Yes, I think that most marriages could be helped by reading and applying the concepts in this book.
Frosted
Frosted rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2008
Candice
Candice rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Lynne Fleming
Lynne Fleming rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Mormon Heretic
Mormon Heretic rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work
  • Bridges Not Walls: A Book About Interpersonal Communication
  • I'm with Stupid: One Man, One Woman, 10,000 Years of Misunderstanding Between the Sexes Cleared Right Up
  • Intimacy & Desire: Awaken the Passion in Your Relationship
  • Love Life for Every Married Couple: How to Fall in Love and Stay in Love
  • Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • Stepmonster: A New Look at Why Real Stepmothers Think, Feel, and Act the Way We Do
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Dealing With Toxic & Difficult to Love Personalities
  • The Greatest Quest
  • Into the Light (sequel to Out of Darkness)
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Divorce Busting: A Step-By-Step Approach to Making Your Marriage Loving Again
  • A Fine Young Man: What Parents, Mentors, and Educators Can Do to Shape Adolescent Boys into Exceptional Men
  • American Sign Language Dictionary