Start by marking “Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues” as Want to Read:
Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues

Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues (Cape Island Mystery #2)

Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues

Sophie
Feb 18, 2012 Sophie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've waited a long time before writing this review and I have not  looked at other reviews of this title. Furthermore,  I wouldn't normally give quite so much time and attention to a mystery but I think you'll understand why I have been so torn about this.

First let me tell you that the story takes place on Cape Cod, and - in flashbacks - in Thailand (and to a lesser extent Vietnam).  There are two different narrative voices, one more lyrical than the other. The Thailand flashbacks are also in it
Judi
Dec 18, 2011 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I picked up this book on the Amazon Kindle sale... thought it might be interesting since it takes place in Provincetown on Cape Cod thus it would make a nice little vacation. As much time as I have spent on the Cape, I've never really spent more than a day here there in Provincetown and thus this was like an insider's visit.

Michael, a lawyer living on the Cape, but from a New Bedford fishing family, is engaged to be married in a months time. As a public defender he is assigned a transvestite cli
Francis
Oct 22, 2011 Francis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provincetown Follies

Tuki Apareci is a transvestite. Her father was a soldier in Viet Nam. Her mother was left behind to survive in the red light district of Saigon. When Saigon surrenders, Tuki's mother disappears. Two of her mothers friends, both transvestite's, escape with Tuki, they become her surrogate mothers.

Tuki grows up in the sex markets of Thailand. But, her mothers raise her well, they are both Buddhist. As a result, she has her own unique principles and she is always faithful to prin
Stephen Dorneman
Sigh. Transvestites, hermaphrodites, straights, gays, criminals, DAs, and a Provincetown / Cape Cod setting, I really wanted to love, or at least thoroughly enjoy, this book. But the present-day action doesn't start until page 148, with the whole first half being back story, a character study told in flashbacks. A for effort, B for the second half, and a D minus for the first half results in a C+, at best.
Beth
Nov 10, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
Enjoyable read. Just as I'd start to get lost and wonder what the heck I missed, the information was presented to me. Very much a murder mystery built around two time periods, the back and forth was completely necessary to build the story. I also gained insight into drag queens, something I knew little about (always like to learn something new)!
Nisey
Jan 12, 2013 Nisey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-to-be-read
Trite, tiresome narrative replete with over-used Thai idioms and references that litter the dialogue, these are just a sampling of what weakens this book. Not good, la. (oh gawd, I never need to read "la" again.
Sally
Nov 24, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great depth to the characters. Not your usual murder mystery/whodunit type at all. I'm looking forward to starting the next one of the series. Will be adding Randall Peffer to my list of must read authors.
Jack
Oct 15, 2011 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of a lawyer who is representing a Vietnamese drag queen accused of arson and murder. He gets drawn into an unfamiliar world. Listen to Lou Reed whilst reading it.
Maryjo
Dec 04, 2008 Maryjo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining. Murder mystery with an interesting slant. Peffer does a superb job in bringing past and present together to spin an amusing story.
Olivia Mascheroni
Olivia Mascheroni rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
susan rowan
susan rowan rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Michelle Garber
Michelle Garber rated it did not like it
Aug 28, 2012
Jonquil
Jonquil rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Lynda Williams
Lynda Williams rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Kay
May 08, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good quick read
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Keisha
Keisha rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Jenn Graham
Jenn Graham rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Susan Hawes
Susan Hawes rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Michelle Taylor
Michelle Taylor rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2012
Martha Demarco
Martha Demarco rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Debra Lawless
Debra Lawless rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2012
Jason Taylor
Jason Taylor rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Marsha
Marsha rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
Anverie
Anverie rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Randall Peffer is the author of over 300 travel-lifestyle features for magazines like National Geographic, Smithsonian, Reader's Digest, Travel Holiday, Islands and Sail; he teaches writing and literature at Philips Academy in Andover.
More about Randall Peffer...

Cape Island Mystery (6 books)
  • Killing Neptune's Daughter
  • Old School Bones
  • Bangkok Dragons, Cape Cod Tears
  • Listen to the Dead
  • Screams and Whispers (Cape Islands Mystery Series #6)