Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues

Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues (Cape Island Mystery #2)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews

A mysterious fire sweeps through the commercial district of Provincetown, Massachusetts, and the police hypothesize that the blaze was set to cover up the murder of Big Al Costelano, a notorious P-town playboy, real estate tycoon, and mobster. The prime suspect is the victim's estranged half-Vietnamese, half-African American, drag queen lover, Tuki Aparecio.

Michael DeCastr

Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues

Sophie
I've waited a long time before writing this review and I have not looked at other reviews of this title. Furthermore, I wouldn't normally give quite so much time and attention to a mystery but I think you'll understand why I have been so torn about this.

First let me tell you that the story takes place on Cape Cod, and - in flashbacks - in Thailand (and to a lesser extent Vietnam). There are two different narrative voices, one more lyrical than the other. The Thailand flashbacks are also in itali...more
Francis
Provincetown Follies

Tuki Apareci is a transvestite. Her father was a soldier in Viet Nam. Her mother was left behind to survive in the red light district of Saigon. When Saigon surrenders, Tuki's mother disappears. Two of her mothers friends, both transvestite's, escape with Tuki, they become her surrogate mothers.

Tuki grows up in the sex markets of Thailand. But, her mothers raise her well, they are both Buddhist. As a result, she has her own unique principles and she is always faithful to prin...more
Judi
I picked up this book on the Amazon Kindle sale... thought it might be interesting since it takes place in Provincetown on Cape Cod thus it would make a nice little vacation. As much time as I have spent on the Cape, I've never really spent more than a day here there in Provincetown and thus this was like an insider's visit.

Michael, a lawyer living on the Cape, but from a New Bedford fishing family, is engaged to be married in a months time. As a public defender he is assigned a transvestite cli...more
Stephen Dorneman
Sigh. Transvestites, hermaphrodites, straights, gays, criminals, DAs, and a Provincetown / Cape Cod setting, I really wanted to love, or at least thoroughly enjoy, this book. But the present-day action doesn't start until page 148, with the whole first half being back story, a character study told in flashbacks. A for effort, B for the second half, and a D minus for the first half results in a C+, at best.
Beth
Enjoyable read. Just as I'd start to get lost and wonder what the heck I missed, the information was presented to me. Very much a murder mystery built around two time periods, the back and forth was completely necessary to build the story. I also gained insight into drag queens, something I knew little about (always like to learn something new)!
Nisey Gb
Trite, tiresome narrative replete with over-used Thai idioms and references that litter the dialogue, these are just a sampling of what weakens this book. Not good, la. (oh gawd, I never need to read "la" again.
Sally
Great depth to the characters. Not your usual murder mystery/whodunit type at all. I'm looking forward to starting the next one of the series. Will be adding Randall Peffer to my list of must read authors.
Jack
Story of a lawyer who is representing a Vietnamese drag queen accused of arson and murder. He gets drawn into an unfamiliar world. Listen to Lou Reed whilst reading it.
Maryjo
Very entertaining. Murder mystery with an interesting slant. Peffer does a superb job in bringing past and present together to spin an amusing story.
Lee Ann
Nov 23, 2011 Lee Ann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, i-ll-get-to-it
Free Book
Crissy Voyles
Crissy Voyles marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Bonnie Morse
Bonnie Morse marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Brian Jaybush
Brian Jaybush marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Biisbsw
Biisbsw is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Mscout
Mscout marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Chas Broman
Chas Broman marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Lucie
Lucie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Helen
Helen added it
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Randall Peffer is the author of over 300 travel-lifestyle features for magazines like National Geographic, Smithsonian, Reader's Digest, Travel Holiday, Islands and Sail; he teaches writing and literature at Philips Academy in Andover.
More about Randall Peffer...
The Southern Seahawk: A Novel of the Civil War at Sea Old School Bones Listen to the Dead New England Killing Neptune's Daughter