Xenopath (Bengal Station, #2)

Xenopath (Bengal Station #2)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  19 reviews

Working for a telepathic detective agency, Vaughan investigates a series of murders linked to the colony world of Mallory, and the slaughter of innocent aliens there by a colonial organization.
Published 2009 by Solaris

Enrique028
I still remember how accidentally stumbled upon Eric Brown with HELIX and how I followed and got hooked on with KETHANI to then stumbled on NECROPATH perhaps because of by being the first book in a trilogy I couldn't quite put together what the book was about or how and where it would end. So, I do apologise to Mr Brown for its second instalment on the Trilogy is a cracking futuristic thriller so far so good that it took me a week to finish it. If you found yourself lost in Bengal Station and ho...more
Mark
Xenopath is the second Bengal Station book by Eric Brown, focusing on a telepathic detective based in a huge spaceport off the coast of India. The first novel, Necropath, was a joy to read last year and it certainly whetted my appetite for more stories focusing on Jeff Vaughan and his abilities. With Xenopath I was hoping that the general feeling would be carried through and that the characters would continue to be as enjoyable as they were in Necropath. I was pleasantly surprised in the directi...more
Anthony Wong
this is the first book of this author that i am reading and it is good enough for me to seek out the rest. this one the plot and characters are quite simple, i mean one dimensional. those that are good remain so and those that are bad also remain so, except for one character... i think maybe the first book of the series might be more complex and nuanced. Maybe.
Cynthia
Typical sci-fi. Not in the same league as Asimov or Arthur C. Clarke (but then who is) but will keep you entertained for the duration.
Ove
Review from my blog cybermage.se
It’s two years after Necropath and Jeff has married Sakura and they await their first child when Jeff gets an offer he can’t refuse. He is back as a telepathic detective and soon he is investigating murders connected with Malloy. The plot thickens and his telepathic abilities and insight in the workings of Bengali Station serve him well when he has to find the urchin connected to the case.

The finale is a showdown on the planet Malloy where he have to stop a genoci...more
CB
What can I say? I'm a sucker for space stations. In college, I was hooked on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for just that reason. It wasn't a terribly original plot, basically a who-done-it in space. The characters, however, were interesting and organic. I thought the relationship between the main character and his wife was especially thoughtful. The last 70 pages or so took some too-predictable turns, but overall it was a nice story. I've never read Eric Brown before, and it seemed like a decent in...more
Jason Reeser
This was a refreshingly fun sci/fi that did not wallow in goofy scientific succotash and metaphysical balderdash. It was simply a fun adventure with assasins, intrigue, lasers, and chase scenes. It was also wonderfully lacking in space-based warfare. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in this series.
The writing was a bit basic, with a lot of "he did this" and "he did that" without much embellishment. But where it counted, the action became crisp and dynamic enough to create some very...more
John
The futuristic world of compressed humanity and distant world colonization is the backdrop for a good old fashion detective/thriller. This one includes a newer twist on the future of telepathy but ncludes a refreshing detective who is in love with the women he married. It all works and the suspension of disbelief works well. I did find a couple of loose ends that seemed to press up against this window of fiction to distract my complete immersion. However, this was a good book and I look forward...more
Jessica Meyers
Found this book at the library, I didn't realize that it was the second book in the series until after finishing it..... It was a very good book. Eric Brown is an excellent writer. I easily flew through pages, which was good because the book was quite long, but an easy read and very interesting!
LadyCroft86
The story of this book was much better than Necropath. The main character is a lot better and the plot is better. It's still just a murder mystery in "space" but it was a much better read than the first book. Hopefully the third book is as good or better.
Liviu
A little bit better for me than Neuropath - if you like PI in space you will probably love this one - but for me it only partially worked, though I liked the ending so i will check out book 3 next year too.
Thomas
Horton Hears a Who! I liked Necropath's gritty world, but Xenopath descended (ascended?) into a cutesy story with cartoonish characters and a happy ending. The alien deus ex machina was way too tacked on.
Emmanuel
The series is getting better now that the characters have had a chance to connect and develop. Bengal Station is more a mystery set in a scifi future than an overarching space opera.
Rebecca Williamson
I loved the action-packed story of a telepathic detective on the space station that's packed with humanity. Great setting and characters I cared about.
Arthur
I like this author. This book was just as gripping as the first in the trilogy.
Stephina
I really enjoyed this book. Real Scifi with a touch of Fantasy. Nice.
DesertDane
Excellent trilogy. I would like to see more books with this character.
Jamie Barrows
Decent detective tale set in a scifi setting. Didn't wow me, but a solid book.
Vanuatu
Good Read -But really a whodunit
Grzesiek
gr8 book 2
Marshall Richard
Marshall Richard marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Eric Brown's first short story was published in _Interzone_ in 1987, and he sold his first novel, _Meridian Days_, in 1992. He has won the British Science Fiction Award twice for his short stories and has published forty books: SF novels, collections, books for teenagers and younger children, and he writes a monthly SF review column for the _Guardian_.

He is married to the writer and medievalist Fi...more
More about Eric Brown...
Helix Necropath (Bengal Station, #1) Kethani The Kings of Eternity Cosmopath (Bengal Station, #3)