Start by marking “Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  282 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Rowing the Atlantic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowing the Atlantic

Books Ring Mah Bell
I am happy to be an armchair adventurer.

At the age of 30 something, Roz Savage decides to pull the plug on her ordinary, ho-hum, comfortable and secure life. She's got a great job - sure, she hates the job, but it pays well. She's got a great husband, great in that he takes good care of her, and after he hears of her infidelity, he handles it with grace and asks her not to leave. (so, maybe he's great AND stupid.) The fact is, the nice husband bores her. Her lover bores her. Her job, ditto.

What
Bob Steen
Oct 06, 2009 Bob Steen rated it it was ok
Wow. This woman has an ego. The book tells of her journey from a materialistic woman in London through a period of "finding herself" during which she hurts almost everyone in her life (and never seems to realize it) to rowing solo across the atlantic. With only herself for company, she becomes totally content and happy and finds the meaning to life: her.

I'd rate this book a "1" but it is well written.
Robin
Not to be confused by:
Across the Savage Sea: The First Woman to Row Across the North Atlantic
by Maud Fontenoy

I read the Fontenoy book a few years ago and now I know why this book by Roz Savage sounded so familiar! Anyway, the Roz Savage book is better than the Fontenoy book--at least as far as I can tell.

Update: Well, I thought this would be better but I was wrong, it was about equal to the Fontenoy book only a little more introspective and inspirational--if you need to be inspired.

After gettin
Isis
Feb 05, 2011 Isis rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, travel
Two and a half stars, really. I wanted to give it more - I saw and enjoyed a documentary movie about the author's voyage - but it's not (to me) a particularly inspiring book. She got lots of sponsors who gave her money to buy the boat and the gear. She had a Satphone and was texting messages to her website. Things broke, and most of them she didn't know how to fix. She came in dead last in the Atlantic race. Not my kind of role model, sorry.

(I should point out that some years ago my husband and
Renuka Soll
Jan 28, 2013 Renuka Soll rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. It's about a 36 year old woman who feels stuck in her job and has a marriage that is unraveling. She became the first solo woman to enter the Atlantic Rowing Race. She rowed 3,000 miles and reflects about her life as she struggles with lots of things going wrong. Her stove stopped working just 20 days into the race, all her oars had broken by the half way point, her boat capsized, etc. Her determination is remarkable, and it was hard for me to put the book down.
Linda
Apr 25, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Roz Savage quit her ordinary job after writing two obituaries for herself and deciding she wanted the one with adventures and accomplishments. A solo row across the Atlantic was the start of her changing her life and what she chronicles in this book (she also has a blog and a website). Those pithy philosophical statements that I love are here as well as much to base discussions on - good for book clubs from teen to adult
Nick
Aug 22, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it
Roz became a hero of mine after I read this book, which I just accidentally picked up from a table at the Borders one night. Her personal story of jettisoning a life that no longer fit her and choosing a new path, one she had no reason to believe she could, is frankly inspiring. I expected all kinds of lessons about perseverance, but the book is really about how to forge your own track in life. You're never too old or too young.
Emily
Jun 15, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
I could not believe the things I was reading! A 38 year old woman rowing the Atlantic Ocean by herself! I would never brave enough to try something so daring and dangerous. I could see why Roz Savage wanted to take such a risk. I think that everyone wants to escape reality for a time to reflect and actually thing about where your life is going.
Cheryl
Oct 15, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This is the best book/memoir I have read in awhile. Funny, honest, heartfelt, inspiring - a fantastic read. Highly recommend!
Karl Mech
Jun 13, 2017 Karl Mech rated it really liked it
Roz Savage dropped out of the rat race right into a crazy and daring adventure. An amazing story. Considering all the challenges she faced and all the odds against her, she persevered right to the end. Although she finished last in the race, after rowing for 103 days, she came out ahead in the race of life. A great read.
Lauren
Jul 27, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it
Cathy
Feb 19, 2017 Cathy rated it really liked it
As an arm-chair adventurer, I like any book where people take on huge challenges (and don't die) --Mount Everest climbers, long-distance through hikers, round-the-world sailors--as long as they are well-written. This one is.
Joe White
Oct 01, 2009 Joe White rated it it was amazing
From Roz's blog and webcasts, I had expected this to be a very wordy prattle with preachy environmental overtones.
Instead it is one of the best edited and written summations of the reason to do an ocean row, what organizational challenges are faced, and enough actual on-water content to convey the experience without resorting to an overbearing tale of agony. The hazards and setbacks were almost understated. For example a four oar failure would ordinarily verge on catastrophe, but the account he
LizG
Nov 15, 2010 LizG rated it really liked it
Roz Savage's story is inspiring proof that doing amazing things doesn't start with being a special kind of person. Rather, one becomes a special kind of person for taking on the challenge and hanging in to the finish line, despite considerable odds and considerable hardship.

See mom, "stubborn" IS an excellent quality to have.

Being a most unlikely candidate makes Savage's success all the more sweet. Not athletic, not a daredevil, not self-confident, not a man, she still manages to row across th
Cherie
Oct 01, 2015 Cherie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Great book. Inspirational for those seeking change in their lives, whether they realize it or not. Savage was living a very materialistic life, but was really unhappy. When doing an exercise on her obituary if she continued her life as she was living, and then writing one on what she wished her obituary would be, she realized she needed to change some things. She ended up leaving her husband, quitting her job, and setting off to sail solo across the Atlantic. It’s horrible in some ways, but it’s ...more
Helen Dunn
Apr 07, 2011 Helen Dunn rated it it was ok
So far so good! I love reading about people and their crazy adventures.

I have mixed feelings on this. I wanted to know more about actually rowing the Atlantic and less about the author's personal growth.

I find the idea of dropping out of the rat race to do something adventurous admirable but I also think she made some very poor decisions. I think they type of people who make the leap to pursue this type of thing are much more accepting of risk than I am though, so I don't know why her behavior
Desiree
Mar 31, 2013 Desiree rated it really liked it
I love this story about a woman who realized she was not living the life she wanted, threw everything to chance, and did something amazing. It's a story about self-discovery on the ocean. (as the title suggests) It's less about the tragedies and trials of spending months in a rowboat then it is about the strength she gained coping with them. At first I felt like it might be a little chick lit for me, but it turned out I couldn't stop turning pages. When she made it to Antigua I really felt that ...more
PJ
Jul 17, 2012 PJ rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. As much about setting goals and achieving dreams as it is about the actual accomplishment of rowing the Atlantic. The storytelling is very good, though the prose does seem kind of forced at times... as if the author might be trying just a little to hard, especially in the first few pages. Thankfully, though, once the actual preparation and adventure starts, Roz Savage finds her cadence and pace in her writing. She takes you along on a journey of discovery and dreams.
Renee
Mar 08, 2010 Renee rated it really liked it
A well told and honest account of a thirty-something year old woman (and non- athlete) from England who left her secure career, and marriage to row solo in a 24’ boat from the Canary Islands to Antigua The 3000 mile voyage took 103 days. The author was the first solo woman to complete this race and the 6th woman to row solo across an ocean. In 2008, Roz Savage became the first woman in history to row solo from California to Hawaii. In addition, to this great reading adventure, the book is packed ...more
Kris
Mar 21, 2013 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper-library
I loved Roz by page 4. I agree with other reviewers who compared the book to Cheryl Strayed's "Wild", though I liked Roz's story better. 'Rowing the Atlantic' lost a star from me because it is part adventure tale and part self-help, motivational-speaking fodder. So 5 stars for the adventure part (self-help books never hold my attention). I never even heard of ocean rowing until Roz and it was just the kind of adventure I LOVE to read, and Roz is a great writer.
N.T.
Oct 11, 2009 N.T. rated it really liked it
Truly enjoyed this book, with a pace that picked up to sail (pun intended) right into the end and celebrate with the author and rower and true adventurer that is Roz Savage.

I highly recommend this tale of a woman overcoming her demons, her grown self that was a sludge she wanted to shake off to become who she wanted to be,

A great tale of the hard toil of translating a newfound dream and search for self and purpose into a great read.
Pbwritr
Jan 30, 2010 Pbwritr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, memoir
Excellent, inspiring book. 38-year-old decides to ROW across the Atlantic solo, never having been much of an athlete and never having rowed the ocean. Spellbinding account of her reasons, thought processes, fears, hopes, obstacles, triumphs as she does indeed succeed in rowing the ocean in 103 days! Amazing feat, and since then she's now rowing the Pacific!
Nancy
Oct 10, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jamel
I read this in one sitting. I couldn't put it down. What a challenge the author gave herself and achieved. I'm amazed at the courage. It was truly frightening at times and her story is an inspiration to all of us who want to get free of our inner critical voices. I'll have to do it in another way since I'm no way brave enough to do anything this daunting.
Rory
Sep 22, 2015 Rory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive discussion of her self doubts, guilt, search for identity. A lot of telling instead of showing or illustration. She's rower, not a writer. Wanted more description of nature and a feeling I was on the water, not just in her head. I still liked the book though because I'm interested in adventure in general and hers in particular. Her account is honest and human and brave.
Julie
May 11, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Really 3.5 but I decided to round up because I quite enjoyed it despite her occasional Bridget Jones-worthy self-doubt which was a bit grating (though I did appreciate her sharing this very human aspect of the journey for her). Overall it was fascinating to read about what it was like for her to cross the Atlantic alone in a small rowboat. Quite a remarkable feat.
Peter Realeza
Sep 19, 2012 Peter Realeza rated it really liked it
i enjoyed this adventure book. but what i really liked was her search to find herself. the idea that we all can change the course of our existence and make changes is truly inspiring. i dont think that change needs to be as drastic as hers, but if we are questioning ourselves, we owe it to find answers.
Eric Schipper
Aug 10, 2013 Eric Schipper rated it really liked it
A very inspiring and motivating tale of human spirit. Anyone can accomplish anything if they set their mind to it. I enjoyed how much the author just laid bare her emotions and told some of the dark truths about how she came to where she did. Not everything went according to plan, she came in last place in the race, but she finished.
Anthony
Very, very inspiring. The lessons Roz Savage has learned are very helpful for any situation. It's is great the we can learn her lessons without having to row across the Atlantic by simply spending a few hours with her book. Most highly recommended!
Victor
Nov 02, 2016 Victor rated it liked it
Do you know what it's like to row, row, row a boat by yourself across the Atlantic Ocean? Probably not, because you've never done it, but Roz has, and if you read this book you'll know what it's like. Hint: It's hard, but doing hard things is how you grow.
emily
Jul 28, 2014 emily added it
Shelves: audiobooks
A good listen. Not so deep, and I think I liked her Pacific book better, but any long distance rowing drama is fine by me. Especially when a shark comes to town. (But don't read it for the sharks: very minor shark drama, in the background.)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • The Art of Letting Go: Living the Wisdom of St. Francis
  • Love in Action: Writings on Nonviolent Social Change
  • The Red Rose Crew: A True Story of Women, Winning, and the Water
  • Gestatten: Elite
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Fragebogen
  • What I Learned When I Almost Died: How a Maniac TV Producer Put Down His Blackberry and Started to Live His Life
  • Smile
  • Skywalker: Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail
  • The Thinking Life: How to Thrive in the Age of Distraction
  • Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King
  • Down the Nile: Alone in a Fisherman's Skiff
Roz Savage is an ocean rower, environmental campaigner, author and speaker.

In case this makes her sound intrepid, you should know that as a child she was small, unathletic, and bookish (and is not so different now). Her parents were both Methodist preachers and moved house frequently, so the young Rosalind took refuge in books. She yearned to be a writer herself, but as she went through that pain
More about Roz Savage...

“I have learned to be kinder to myself, to imagine that I am my own best friend, whispering comforting words in my ear and drowning out the voices of Self-Doubt and Self-Criticism. I have learned to acknowledge and appreciate the 98% that I have achieved instead of the 2% that I didn’t.” 8 likes
“When you stand at the bottom of the mountain and look up at the mountaintop, the path looks hard and stony, and the top is obscured by clouds. But when you reach the top and you look down, you realize that there are a thousand paths that could have brought you to that place.” 6 likes