Start by marking “Negotiating Your Salary 6th Ed” as Want to Read:
Negotiating Your Salary    6th Ed

Negotiating Your Salary 6th Ed

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The bible of salary negotiations.

This step-by-step manual describes exactly what to say and do in order to obtain the best possible compensation. Thoroughly revised, this book's practical wisdom has stood the test of time, remaining the most widely read book on salary negotiations for the past 22 years. This new edition features timely advice for confronting today's unique
Published October 1st 2008 by Jack Chapman (first published May 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Negotiating Your Salary 6th Ed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Negotiating Your Salary 6th Ed

Sarah (Workaday Reads)
My latest read in preparation of my upcoming annual performance review was Negotiating Your Salary: How to Make $1000 a Minute by Jack Chapman. It was a very easy read at only 170 pages. While it focus mostly on negotiating for a beginning salary, there was a whole chapter about raises. And it was fairly easy to see how to apply the rest of book to a raise situation.

The raise chapter discussed how to keep a "job journal" to track your accomplishments. That is the first step, which you can start
Debra O'Reilly
Nov 18, 2013 Debra O'Reilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone ready to negotiate the next salary level
I write resumes and create job-search strategies for job seekers. 20 years ago, when I read an early edition of "Negotiating Your Salary: How to Make $1000 a Minute," I recommended it to a client for "beta testing". He studied it overnight before an interview. (It's an easy read.) After accepting the position, he used the book's techniques to increase his starting salary by nearly 20%.

Since then, each edition of Jack Chapman's book has provided more ROI for my clients. I recommend "Negotiating Y
Barry Davis
Short but informative book on the salary negotiation process that cites numerous examples on research, evaluating competitive offers, what to do when they push for a decision. Chapman sees three steps:
1. Budget – what they want to pay
2. Fudgit – what they might pay if you were the one
3. Judgit – deciding if you are worth what you say you want
The end of the book cites numerous examples of actual negotiations and their results.
Jeff Lampson
This book is more relevant today than ever! It provides critical information to be mastered before you begin interviewing. Be sure to keep referencing it throughout all stages until you seal the deal. Jack Chapman shares his signature wit and wisdom in this book that helps job seekers to be smart, informed and genuine to their own personal style in all aspects of negotiating a win-win salary.

Thanks Jack!
Maren Brehm
Feb 27, 2016 Maren Brehm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the obvious clickbait title, I thought this book had many useful insights, especially for someone like me, who is not used to asking for what she wants!
Han Tsung Liu
Jul 20, 2015 Han Tsung Liu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I didn't find much similar information on the Internet and this book teaches me some methods to negotiate with the employer.
Noah
Dec 31, 2014 Noah rated it it was amazing
Great book. Concise and clear advice for negotiating your salary. He makes it seem easy and gives you good ideas for how to execute the negotiation.

If you want to get paid what you are worth, then read this book.
Judith
Jan 16, 2009 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practical. Strategies and steps to handle salary negotiation. I read the older edition. I especially liked it that the author emphasizes the importance of doing your homework (knowing the salary range for what your position is entitled to), being confident that you do not undersell yourself, and making sure you negotiate benefits as well. A must read!

Shannon
The framework of the book addresses fair, honest negotiation for the salary you deserve and I was pleased to find a constructive way to think about this topic. Especially awesome: the 30-minute digest version in the front in case you buy the book on the way to an interview.=) Helpful for people in every industry- teachers to high finance.
Ben
Feb 13, 2016 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The overall contents is great. But a little bit too messy to be used as is.
I need to summarize it by myself to really understand what's written in here and be able to use it.
Vennittah
The book was just not readable. I know it had soem good advice but the writing style does not compell one to read on. Its not one of those books you say I couldn't put it down. That said, a big lesson for me as a woman is to make sure I always negotiate my salary and get the best offer.
Ariel
Jul 18, 2009 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was ok. i think it's a book that would be more helpful to someone in a commission based or consulting type job. not recommended for someone that works with headhunters and focuses on landing a job with a fortune 500 company.
Ideen Solhtalab
Sep 13, 2011 Ideen Solhtalab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not necessarily well written, but no doubt phenomenal advice/topic. Kids in college -- try to read this before applying for your first "real world" job.
Lief
Oct 30, 2014 Lief rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Very practical and useful info in there - I'm sure the more updated version has even more!
Mace
Jan 03, 2012 Mace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Full of good information, and easy to read. I just hope I remember everything when the time comes!
We'll see if it deserves those stars...
Shayne
Jul 29, 2014 Shayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Practical guide to the topic.
John
Jun 05, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A handy resource.
Gold Country Resellers
Gold Country Resellers marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Bif
Bif marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Steven Mudda
Steven Mudda marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Antonio
Antonio rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Mike Musgnug
Mike Musgnug marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
ijemmy
ijemmy rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Michael Dé
Michael Dé marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Grant Patten
Grant Patten marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Lupe Ramos
Lupe Ramos marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
David Glenn Dixon
David Glenn Dixon marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Archana
Archana marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
  • Designing Gestural Interfaces: Touchscreens and Interactive Devices
  • The Story of Redemption: A Concise Presentation of the Conflict of the Ages Drawn From the Earlier Writings of Ellen G. White (Christian Home Library)
  • Survival Japanese: How to Communicate without Fuss or Fear Instantly! (Japanese Phrasebook)
  • Russia at War: 1941-1945
  • Competition Demystified: A Radically Simplified Approach to Business Strategy
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • Memory How to Develop, Train, and Use It
  • Coming Home Crazy: An Alphabet of China Essays
  • The Truth About Money
  • Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense (and StickYou with the Bill)
  • Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day
  • Ask a Ninja Presents The Ninja Handbook: This Book Looks Forward to Killing You Soon
  • Bridal Bargains: Secrets to Throwing a Fantastic Wedding on a Realistic Budget
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • Beacham's Sourcebook For Teaching Young Adult Fiction: Exploring Harry Potter