Start by marking “Heart of the Lonely Exile (Emerald Ballad #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Lonely Exile (Emerald Ballad #2)

Heart of the Lonely Exile (Emerald Ballad #2)

From the small Irish town of Killala to the towering skyscrapers of New York, this series follows two Irish families, the Kavanghs and the Fitzgeralds, whether holding firm to their faith during Ireland's darkest days or trusting God with new lives in America.
Published November 1st 1991 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Lonely Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the Lonely Exile

Kelly
Jan 31, 2017 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This book was a breath of fresh air, as there were not as many sad things as there were in the first one. I love the strong knowledge of God's presence no matter what is happening. I also love the emphasis on how people with disabilities can be loved and treated normally. What unlikely but awesome characters come to help the main vharacters! What a good book!
Rachel
Feb 11, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is awesome. The bittersweet saga is full of Christian faith, love, and the idea of where home lies. The characters are fully drawn and are mostly likable, and the plots are amazing.
LeonaJane
Jan 19, 2017 LeonaJane rated it it was amazing
As always, this is an intriguing novel. The ongoing saga of An Emerald Ballad, book 2, was suspenseful and captivating.
Jael
Sep 06, 2009 Jael rated it it was ok
I used to really hate this one - probably the most out of the series. Granted, throughout most of my Emerald Ballad career, my interest lay almost solely with Morgan and Finola, and I thought Evan and Nora were unbearably sappy and retarded, and I wasn't a big fan of Michael at all until later, and even then he wasn't a big deal.

Things I liked about it now:

1. Evan and Nora. Yes, they do become almost unbearably sappy, but I guess because of the kind of man Evan is, I just was happy to see them e
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
Sep 11, 2010 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: FIRST
I was more impressed with book 2 than I was with Song of the Silent Harp. This picked up where the first book left off, wasn't as slow. I was able to follow along easier and become more engrossed in the story so I could enjoy the setting and characters more.

This part of the series still takes place during the Famine era, but is more centered around America than Ireland, unlike book 1. We still get to follow Nora as she is searching for where her heart belongs....with Michael who has always loved
Melissa Levine
Aug 17, 2013 Melissa Levine rated it it was ok
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I enjoyed this one even more than I did the first one, Song of the Silent Harp. Nora and her family have arrived in America and as they try and build a new life for themselves, they find friendship and support, but heartache as well.

Daniel yearns to find his place in America; Michael yearns for Nora's love and acceptance of his marriage proposal; and Tierney is angry at the world. Even fights his feelings for Nora even as Sara fights hers for Michael. Morgan faces death as he fights for a free I
Katie
Aug 31, 2010 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gets 4 stars - one up from the first book in the series. The reason for this is because, out of the two, Heart of the Lonely Exile was my favorite book to read, as it held more twists and turns, and it just all around appealed to me more. I enjoyed reading about Nora’s conquests and her situation with Michael’s offer of marriage. Although in the first book Evan seemed like quiet an odd character, he grew on me so much in this second book. You saw his true character continually shinning ...more
Christy Lockstein
Heart of the Lonely Exile by B.J. Hoff is the second book in the Emerald Ballad series. Nora Kavanagh and her son Daniel have finally made it to safety in New York, along with orphans Katie, Johanna, and Tom who are under her care, and Englishman Evan Whittaker who became a close friend on the ship across the Atlantic. Sara Farmington and her wealthy father have taken the family into their home and soon find themselves wrapped up in the family's drama. Nora's childhood friend Michael Burke, a po ...more
Julia Reffner
Aug 27, 2010 Julia Reffner rated it liked it
Shelves: firstwild, to-review
At the end of the first volume, Nora, Daniel, and Evan safely arrived in New York Harbor…barely. They left many friends and family members behind, either in the old country or during the hazardous journey. Book two begins with a story tying in the Kavanaugh harp and the role it plays in the story. I enjoy the way Hoff begins each book with an ancestral story. The remainder of the book jumps between the saga of the American immigrants to the story of the struggle for change in Ireland.

Once again,
Casey
Aug 23, 2010 Casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking up where The Song of the Silent Harp has left off, HEART OF THE LONELY EXILE continues the sage of one family’s search for a place and love in their new home, America.

As disappointing as this is to write this review, I wasn’t able to really get into this novel. Like its predecessor, I found it too wordy and some of the emotions felt clichéd. The tension was there in the relationships, but I thought that it was never enhanced to its full potential. Clashes just seemed to be resolved too ea
Wyndy
Sep 14, 2010 Wyndy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 in the Emerald Ballad series covers the first year that Nora and her family live in America. Who will she marry, Michael or Evan? Will Morgan survive an assassination attempt? Who is the urchin who follows him from Belfast to Dublin and what effect will the giant man-servant from the West Indies have on him. A great romantic story proving that faith can help provide a healthy sustainable environment no matter what is going on around you. Rather than focusing on the famine in Ireland as th ...more
Diane  Holm
Apr 13, 2011 Diane Holm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Emerald Balled Series Book 2

Keep your promise or follow your heart, the choice determines the future...

Nora Kavanagh, an Irish Immigrant to America, finds kindness where least expected. A new life, filled will unlimited possibilities, has opened her eyes and set her heart soaring. When love blooms, will it be to late?

The characters from the first book continue to grow, develope and take on new personalities. The story unfolds with clear details easy to visualize. The struggle of the heart is
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I have to say that I was disappointed when I picked up these this sequel in the An Emerald Ballad series. The compelling story line that drew me into the story and helped me forgive some of Mrs. Hoff's flaws sputtered out about halfway through Heart of the Lonely Exile.

What remained in the book were the tried and true plots of people coupling up with a few sticky triangles to sort out. When the main question of the plot revolves around "will they or won't they get mar
Sue
Jul 15, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Set in New York in the late 1840s. About the Irish people during the time of the famine, some in Ireland and some who had immigrated to the United States. It's the second book in the series, and even though I've not yet read the first one, Song of the Silent Harp, there was enough background information to make this one thoroughly enjoyable. It even brought on a few happy sniffles. A bit confusing keeping the characters straight just at first, but reading the first book probably would have elimi ...more
Kelsey Hanson
This series is pretty good, but it really doesn't grip me you. I had to renew this book (and other books in this series) several times to finish it. It is a good story but very slow paced. PS. (This is a work of Christian fiction and the Christian message is present throughout. If that bothers you don't read it.)The historical concept and evolution of the characters makes this sometimes slow moving book worth reading.
Judith Mullett
Mar 31, 2012 Judith Mullett rated it it was amazing
Second in the five book series, the Kavangh family is now in Americe but Morgan Fitzgerald remains with his true love, Ireland. The boat trip over shows the reader what the Irish suffered to try to make it America. The characters are so real, I felt that I know this family. With Nora's struggle to find her strength and independence and her childhood friend who offers her marriage and security, truly a story with many levels.
Nicki Rhode keck
Jun 07, 2015 Nicki Rhode keck rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I had read the first book in the series a while back, and this one did not disappoint. the ending was great, and it left you wondering because there were some unresolved things that will, I am sure, be dealt with as the series progresses. looking forward to reading more of this series.
Brooke Barenfanger
The more I read of this series, the deeper I fell in love with the characters. Nora Cavanagh, Even Whittaker, Morgan Fitzgeraold, Finola.
They are very human, very realistic characters. I don't say this about many series, but this one is one that will be hard to forget. It sticks in your mind and makes you think about things.
Bookwoman67
Why do publishers put such awful covers on actually fairly good books? This is a pretty good immigrant saga, continuing a series (I skimmed the first book). Fairly light on the Irish stereotypes, although I caught just a couple of inaccuracies. This is over 20 years old, and I don't usually enjoy Christian fiction from that era, but this held my interest well.
Christin
Mar 14, 2014 Christin rated it it was ok
I was so excited to start this book but shortly thereafter I realized that it would not live up to the first book. I feel like Nora and Evan's storyline was forced and a major letdown after a whole book on how Nora and Morgan had a once in a lifetime "Rhett & Scarlett" love.
Linda
Apr 23, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
I can't decide if I really love this series or not but it is interesting if a little dry at times. I think I will continue to read the third book and see how it goes. I do enjoy it most of the time and love the historical facts in it.
Fenixbird SandS
Wonderful quotations from talented Irish writers appear & introduce each new chapter of this book! This Irish history fiction series (Song of the Silent Harp & this one) was in a paperback free box a kind soul shared this week at my workplace. Dina & I are reading this pair.
Carol
Aug 13, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
How everything would work our wasn't a foregone conclusion til end! Learned that Morgan Fitzgerald was a historical person, some of his poems were quoted.
Sierraprice
Sep 22, 2014 Sierraprice rated it it was amazing
This book is just as good as the first one. It was action packed and had a good story line. The end left you hanging so you really wanted to read the next one.
Lynette
Mar 08, 2013 Lynette rated it really liked it
Continuing the series, I'm still enchanted with the books! I love the Christian value overtones of the story.
Margaret Chind
Feb 02, 2010 Margaret Chind marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: FIRST
*Thanks for Harvest House Publishers for providing a copy for review through FIRST Wild Card Tours.*

-- Look for a preview in September...
Mar 05, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Loved every chapter! Not the characters I was hoping to pair each one up with, but can't wait to see what book 3 will hold.
B.J Hoff is an amazing author!
Cws
Dec 04, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Hof
Midge
Jun 25, 2011 Midge rated it really liked it
So the story continues, about Irish imigrants who come to the US for a better life. Very good historical fiction.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Lady of Stonewycke (Stonewycke, #3)
  • A Covenant of Love (The Appomattox Saga, #1)
  • Stoner's Crossing (Lone Star Legacy, #2)
  • The Emerald Isle (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #4)
  • The Marquis' Secret
  • Promise Me Tomorrow (Rocky Mountain Memories, #4)
  • Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)
  • Shadow of the Mountains (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #2)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • In My Father's House (Shiloh Legacy #1)
BJ Hoff’s bestselling historical novels continue to cross the boundaries of religion, language, and culture to capture a worldwide reading audience.

Her books include such popular series as The Riverhaven Years, The Mountain Song Legacy, Song of Erin, American Anthem, and An Emerald Ballad. Hoff’s stories, although set in the past, are always relevant to the present.

Whether her characters move ab
More about B.J. Hoff...

Emerald Ballad (5 books)
  • Song of the Silent Harp (Emerald Ballad #1)
  • Land of a Thousand Dreams (Emerald Ballad #3)
  • Sons of an Ancient Glory (Emerald Ballad #4)
  • Dawn of the Golden Promise (Emerald Ballad #5)