Start by marking “Hopetoun Wives” as Want to Read:
Hopetoun Wives

Hopetoun Wives

At the giddy height of a resources boom, a mine opens in tiny outback Hopetoun, Western Australia. This remove and beautiful place will change forever, uniting three very different women with its promise of new beginnings.

City slicker Jasmine has moved west reluctantly, to save her marriage. Miranda, the mine-manager's wife, is fighting to be her own woman - even if it mea
337 pages
Published May 4th 2009 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Hopetoun Wives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hopetoun Wives

Margi
Jun 03, 2014 Margi rated it it was ok
I really love reading Aussie novels especially when they are about places I haven't been to or know much about, so kept reading this book in the hope that I would love this, but it didn't talk to me at all. I have read many books which involved several characters'lives being involved and able to follow, get to know, watch the characters develop and enjoy how their story intertwines. This book was very disjointed and didn't manage to do this very well at all. I felt it lacked depth and descriptio ...more
Helen McKenna
The tiny town of Hopetoun in Western Australia has been transformed from a sleepy coastal village to a booming mining town. New housing estates are being built at a rate of knots and families are pouring into the area. Amidst all these new arrivals are three women - Jasmine, Miranda and Brigid. Jasmine is there reluctantly - she cheated on her husband and is now willing to do anything to make it up. Miranda is the mine managers wife and is happy to be back in Australia after living overseas for ...more
Rebecca Brown
Sep 03, 2015 Rebecca Brown rated it did not like it
Nothing really happens until page 300 and then it's over in 15 pages. Don't waste your time reading this one. The social questions raised are not explored at all, just glazed over. Mundane and not substantial at all.
Cass
Sep 14, 2010 Cass rated it it was ok
This started out really well, creating good characters that I wanted to read more about. However the story ends rather suddenly, without really delving into the issues that each character is dealing with.

An acceptable read, but had the potential to be a lot better.
Kari
May 25, 2010 Kari rated it liked it
An average book that ended a bit strangely I thought, without really dealing with the issues the women faced in the book. I thought there could have been more character development.
Rebecca
Jun 15, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The characters are really well developed and the author really shows what it is like in a mining town. The story really drew me in.
Sarita
Sarita rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it it was ok
May 24, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Marjie
Marjie added it
Dec 29, 2015
Oly
Oly marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Terri
Terri rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2015
Shomeret_schiller
Shomeret_schiller rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2015
Tahlia
Tahlia marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Jill Thaivarayan
Jill Thaivarayan rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
RMIT
RMIT added it
Dec 16, 2014
Sharon Carroll
Sharon Carroll marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Meg Dunley
Meg Dunley marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Jennifer Craig
Jennifer Craig rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Karyn
Karyn marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Dale Harcombe
Dale Harcombe rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Christie
Christie rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Michaela
Michaela rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Fran Cusworth is an Australian author and freelance writer, who lives in Melbourne with her husband and two young sons.
Her new and fourth novel, The Near Miss, is a suburban family comedy which sees three very different people thrown together after a near-death accident.
Grace, hardworking and tired, wants another baby. But she's dealing with debt, a manic 4-year-old and a jobless husband determi
More about Fran Cusworth...