Start by marking “Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God” as Want to Read:
Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God

Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  324 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Equips parents to guide their young children through all major doctrines in an understandable, chapter-a-day format.

Sure, it's easy to teach your children the essentials of Christian theology when you're a theology professor. But what about the rest of us?

With Big Truths for Young Hearts, Bruce Ware, (you guessed it!) a theology professor, encourages and enables parents of
Published March 31st 2009 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Big Truths for Young Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Truths for Young Hearts

Ashleyclaunchgmail.com
Jan 12, 2015 Ashleyclaunchgmail.com rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed the systematic theology in this book, not only for my children's sake, but mine as well. I learned some church history, which is a weak area in my knowledge of the faith. Truths about God were solidified in my heart and mind. I will definitely be reading this book again. My children will also be reading it when they reach this reading level. In the mean time I will be relaying much of this as I teach them. Many adults would benefit greatly from this book! Very enjoyable read. I ...more
Isaiah Jesch
Jan 14, 2015 Isaiah Jesch rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I found this to be a bit different than what I expected. Dr. Ware has written essentially a primer for systematic theological studies in this book. I anticipated the lessons being a little "simpler" in their language and illustrations than they actually were. This isn't a bad thing though. I see good application in a parent reading through this then either rereading applicable parts, or paraphrasing and illustrating in language more suited for their particular child. Each chapter gives a good pi ...more
August Maclauchlan
Jan 12, 2013 August Maclauchlan rated it liked it

A little too old for my boys yet. I am hoping to get into it again as the boys get older
Debbie
Jun 14, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
"Big Truths for Young Hearts" is an excellent foundational book on theology for tweens and teens. I'd also recommend this book to new believers. The author did an excellent job of explaining complex topics in an understandable manner and without talking down to the reader (or listener).

The book felt like a Bible study with all the relevant verses included. I liked how the author gave a balanced, whole-Bible view of the topic and gave the verses so that the reader could see for him- or herself wh
Stephen Escalera
Dec 21, 2010 Stephen Escalera rated it it was amazing
They say the true test of understanding a subject is being able to teach it to others. I've discovered through parenting that being able to teach a subject to children is an even greater test. You have to strip concepts down to bare basics in order to build further understanding on top of this foundation. For many topics this is a challenge, perhaps none more important and challenging than theology. We want to instill a knowledge, love and understanding for the things of God in our children, but ...more
Mike Knox
Apr 03, 2010 Mike Knox rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Bruce Ware is a teacher of theology in the seminary and in his home. At bedtime Ware would take what he was teaching his seminarians and break it down into bites small enough for his children. In Big Truths for Young Hearts Ware provides a rich resource for children and their parents to learn the great truths of the Christian faith.

The book contains several excellent illustrations of complex truths. For instance, on the issue of how Jesus could experience temptation even though his divine holin
Greg
Jan 18, 2012 Greg rated it it was amazing
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

In Big Truths for Young Hearts, Dr. Bruce Ware talks about the basics of the faith for young people. I hesitate to say children, because I think of children as 10 years of age and younger.

This book originated at the request of Dr. Ware’s daughters. They were so grateful for the lessons that he taught them at their bedside each night before going to bed, they asked him to put those lessons into a book, and “Big Truths for Young Hearts” was the result. I have just completed the 6
Heather
Nov 12, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
It isn’t easy to teach young children about the depth and scope of Christian faith. Too often they fall in love with the stories and blindly play follow the leader with their parent’s faith. They understand only enough to be dangerous, or easily fooled. Then adulthood arrives and questions surface. Finding understanding of their own can be very challenging. I believe that’s why there is a notable lack of young adult’s from our congregations,leaving a gaping hole in our churches. If true, biblica ...more
John Gardner
Feb 22, 2010 John Gardner rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I read very quickly, but an now going through very slowly and meticulously. I was intrigued to hear about a book that Bruce Ware, professor of systematic theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, was publishing at the end of 2009: A systematic theology written to be taught to and read by children!

In the book’s introduction, Ware explains that as his daughters grew up, he began to realize that what he had been teaching them each night at their bedsides was the sam
Kerri
Sep 11, 2014 Kerri rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book for teaching foundational biblical truths to the young (probably age 10 through tween and teen). It's the job of parents, first and foremost, to teach theology to our kids, that can be reinforced in a church. This is a great tool for doing that.

Also good, is Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics Every Christian Should Know, by Wayne Grudem.
Mark Sylvester
Aug 16, 2015 Mark Sylvester rated it really liked it
Shelves: goals-2015, theology
Helpful primer of systematic theology for parents. Ware boils down essential Christian doctrine in simplified lessons using illustrations and analogies that are accessible for all parents. This was book was different than what I expected it to be, but more due to my ignorance rather than anything on the authors part. Recommended for parents looking to get a better grasp on theology with the intention of teaching their kids!
Brendan
Sep 13, 2013 Brendan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, nonfiction
Bruce Ware's Big Truths for Young Hearts is a fantastic book. He spends the entire book walking through a systematic approach to theology, but on a level that is helpful for both kids and adults. Each section ends with questions that you can walk through with your children as well.

I don't think the book is written at a level that can be understood by preschoolers, and maybe not even grade schoolers, but as kids get older, this is a great introduction into the world of systematic theology. I drea
Eddie Lutz
Jan 22, 2014 Eddie Lutz rated it it was amazing
What an incredible resource this is! I heard Dr. Ware on Albert Mohler's radio show a number of years ago discussing the book. I purchased it and read portions. About 2 years ago, however, I decided to use this book as the foundation of a teaching series that I did with the Jr/Sr High students of our church (which ends this evening).

In essence, Big Truths for Young Hearts is a Systematic Theology, taught in clear, simple (yet not simplistic) terms. The chapters provided a firm foundation, and l
William
Oct 14, 2013 William rated it really liked it
This book definitely made me think how I am to present God and His truth to my dearest kids. It works even as a theology refresher for adults reading it for its sake. Each chapter ends with a Bible quote which summarises the truth from the chapter,and makes teaching kids easier, as well as bringing them back to the Source. I found the sentence-styling different to that of the usual modern American, Australian or English christian authors.

Overall, I am thankful for this book and its usefulness t
Jeremy
Jul 14, 2012 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeremy by: Craig Weston
Worked through this book really slowly with my two oldest kids over the last year. Probably a bit advanced for my 7 year old but there were some great questions and discussions. I really appreciate how the book is organized, the abundance of Scripture quoted and the balanced theology throughout. If I could choose one phrase to sum up the book, it is "God's glory". From beginning to end the author continually brings the reader back to God's supremacy, sovereignty and glory. Not a bad thing to imp ...more
Chris Ong
Jan 25, 2010 Chris Ong rated it it was amazing
This is the best devotional book I have found to date for my kids. Its amazing how it goes through a whole curriculum of systematic theology pitched for kids. I'm really enjoying doing it daily with my kids. This is not watered down stuff, and while we are going fairly fast, I'm hoping that some of it will stick. It has a memory verse everyday and it very carefully lays the foundation for the christian faith answering all the questions a person (whatever age) might have when they are trying to m ...more
John
Jul 25, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
Dr. Ware has given parents a real treasure here. We spent over a year on a journey through this very accessibile and readable systematic for kids and had some great discussions. I was able to challenge my 12 year old while also engaging my 7 year old. His style is very approachable allowing the parent to tailor to all ages and maturity levels. The Gospel and the cross, as they should be, are central across the doctrinal explanations. I strongly recommend this book to all who desire to raise thei ...more
Becca Harris
Nov 14, 2011 Becca Harris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting-books
Ware does an excellent job breaking down tough theological concepts in order that we can explain them to kids. His depth of understanding and years of experience teaching theology to seminary students and his own children make this book easy to use. Not only will you be able to help explain things I your children, I am willing to bet that you will learn a thing or two as well.

This book is ideal for those w/ elementary school aged children, but is applicable to all ages. A must have parent resou
Trae Cadenhead
Jul 01, 2011 Trae Cadenhead rated it it was amazing
Great book. The purpose is to be able to teach your children theology, but I know I learned as much if not more from this book than Ian did. It is probably better for older kids if you are going to read it to them, but I read the three page chapter each night beforehand and then summarized the high points with Ian. A great book for understanding and articulating the gospel.
Sara
Jun 11, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
I savored every page of this book and cannot wait until my children are old enough to go through it with me. (The book is recommended for children 9 and up.) I learned a lot from this book, myself, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of basic biblical truths. Thank you, Dr. Ware, for sharing this book with us!
Erin
May 08, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best book on Theology for children. This was one of my favorite parts of my day going over this book with our son. Christ is so glorified and the gospel exalted. My 9 year old loved it so much he asked if we could go through it again just as we were finishing. This will be one we go over and over!
Dan Sudfeld
Dec 06, 2011 Dan Sudfeld rated it really liked it
This will be a book I will read again... only this time with my sons, once they turn 11 or 12. It is a book on theology that is written in short, bite-size chunks (3-4 pages per chapter), and is very accessible to those who are younger.
Eric Molicki
May 28, 2013 Eric Molicki rated it it was amazing
This was a great book to ground my pre-teens in Biblical doctrine and theology. Solid. Engaging. Thorough. Highly recommend for family devotions for pre-teens and above.
Chris Weston
Jul 01, 2012 Chris Weston rated it it was amazing
Loved this one. Read it through with my oldest three kids and it led to some great discussions. Although wordy at times, the author is very clear in his teaching.
Lori Johnson
Jul 09, 2009 Lori Johnson marked it as to-read
I am hoping to read this with Joelle over the coming months. It is about raising children to know and love God through raising them to know and love theology.
High Pointe Baptist Church
A useful tool for teaching your children basic and even difficult truths about God
Jessica
Sep 26, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
One of the best books to help young children understand theology.

Crossbones
Oct 29, 2012 Crossbones marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
kindle
Kalli
Kalli marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God: Old Testament
  • Family Worship: In the Bible, in History & in Your Home
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • The Faithful Parent: A Biblical Guide to Raising a Family
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • Suffering and the Sovereignty of God
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • Foundations of Grace, 1400 BC – AD 100 (A Long Line of Godly Men #1)
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
Bruce A. Ware (PhD, Fuller Theological Seminary) is professor of Christian theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has written numerous journal articles, book chapters, book reviews, and has authored God's Lesser Glory, God's Greater Glory, and Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
More about Bruce A. Ware...