She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The memoirs of a literary mouse living at the court of Elizabeth I reveal the public and private life of the Queen and her courtiers.
Unknown Binding, 95 pages
Published January 1st 1975 by McGraw-Hill Companies

To ask other readers questions about She Was Nice To Mice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Was Nice To Mice

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Children's Historical Fiction
98th out of 479 books — 499 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Books with Really Long Titles
26th out of 544 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Jimmy
Picked this up after I found out Ally Sheedy (from Breakfast Club, among others) wrote this when she was twelve! I was interested in knowing what kind of story a twelve year old (Ally Sheedy, no less!!!) would write. Well it turns out to be a very odd, yet interesting book. The framing device is completely unneeded and the plot doesn't actually go anywhere, but it's still a very good book for other reasons. Part of it is that it's a children's book written by a child, and some parts contain thin...more
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
May 09, 2008 Susanna - Censored by GoodReads rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who are interested in the tudor period
Recommended to Susanna - Censored by GoodReads by: my mother
I adored this book when I was a child. My mother bought it for me when it first came out, as I had loved both The Wives of Henry VIII and Elizabeth R on Masterpiece Theatre. Good choice, Mom!
Gretchen
Otherwise known as 'Allie Sheedy'. Yep. That one. Written when she was young. Amusing, quick read about England's Queen Elizabeth I.
Wendy
Picked this up because it was written by the young Ally Sheedy (of 1980's movie fame). The story is about life from a mouse's perspective in Queen Elizabeth's court.

It's a strange little book that I'd hesitate to classify as a real children's book (even though it was written by a youth) mostly because Elizabeth and Essex are portrayed as being lovers -- there's no explicit love scenes exactly but it's plainly presented that the two sleep together. I thought this was kind of odd coming from a you...more
Elizabeth
I don't know about this paperback edition, but I had a lovely tiny hardback with a white cover and the original line art in black. My mother bought this for me and I adored it. Fun fact: the author is Ally Sheedy of Breakfast Club fame and she wrote it when she was 12.
AZ Beavers
I don't know how my parents found this book, but it's a good one. Ally Sheedy, pre-Breakfast Club, of course, wrote a cute little story about Queen Elizabeth I and her court of mice-friends. Sweet book.
Kara
Jul 30, 2011 Kara added it
Shelves: tudor-fiction

Impressive given the age of the writer. Its kind of Beatrix Potter meets The Borrower's plus Ben and Me, set in the Elizabethan era.

Surprizingly though, not at /all/ G rated.

Francine
May 10, 2008 Francine added it
Shelves: fluff
Saw an except of this in Seventeen when I was in High School. It was the first book I had special ordered. Still have the book, loved it, still pick it up. It's cute.
Tara
I was influenced by this book because I knew that a 12-year old girl wrote it. "If she can publish a book, I can do it," is what I told myself in second grade.
Heather
Written by Ally Sheedy at age 12, this book was a little too weird. It's told from a mouse's point of view and there is a sex scene. Wow.
Janel Tortorice
I read this when a child, and I just loved it. Started a life-long interest in Elizabeth I. And in writing my own book.
Leah Colvin-Roy
Mom read this to me when i was very young. A good one to learn about a historical figure for a child.
Susan
Sweet little book about the mice in the palace of Elizabeth I. Nice break!
Zoe Koch
Very good but short book
Allie
Allie added it
Sep 15, 2014
Michell Karnes
Michell Karnes marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Alyssa Beltle
Alyssa Beltle marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Cherry Mae
Cherry Mae marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tuxedo
Tuxedo marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ashley Cassidy
Ashley Cassidy marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Roger
Roger added it
May 28, 2014
Echo
Echo marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Angelina Buono
Angelina Buono marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Norm Tresadern
Norm Tresadern marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014