Start by marking “She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The memoirs of a literary mouse living at the court of Elizabeth I reveal the public and private life of the Queen and her courtiers.
Unknown Binding, 95 pages
Published January 1st 1975 by McGraw-Hill Companies

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Best Children's Historical Fiction
111th out of 540 books — 623 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Books with Really Long Titles
25th out of 710 books — 197 voters

More lists with this book...

Jimmy
Aug 23, 2008 Jimmy rated it liked it
Shelves: female, novel, year-1970s
Picked this up after I found out Ally Sheedy (from Breakfast Club, among others) wrote this when she was twelve! I was interested in knowing what kind of story a twelve year old (Ally Sheedy, no less!!!) would write. Well it turns out to be a very odd, yet interesting book. The framing device is completely unneeded and the plot doesn't actually go anywhere, but it's still a very good book for other reasons. Part of it is that it's a children's book written by a child, and some parts contain thin ...more
Heather
May 26, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
Written by Ally Sheedy at age 12, this book was a little too weird. It's told from a mouse's point of view and there is a sex scene. Wow.
Wendy
Picked this up because it was written by the young Ally Sheedy (of 1980's movie fame). The story is about life from a mouse's perspective in Queen Elizabeth's court.

It's a strange little book that I'd hesitate to classify as a real children's book (even though it was written by a youth) mostly because Elizabeth and Essex are portrayed as being lovers -- there's no explicit love scenes exactly but it's plainly presented that the two sleep together. I thought this was kind of odd coming from a you
Doug Jacobs
Dec 27, 2015 Doug Jacobs rated it liked it
fun read. Too bad Miss Sheedy didn't do more historical research.
Mckinley
I forgot all about this good one.
Elizabeth
Oct 25, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know about this paperback edition, but I had a lovely tiny hardback with a white cover and the original line art in black. My mother bought this for me and I adored it. Fun fact: the author is Ally Sheedy of Breakfast Club fame and she wrote it when she was 12.
AZ Beavers
Jul 18, 2007 AZ Beavers rated it really liked it
I don't know how my parents found this book, but it's a good one. Ally Sheedy, pre-Breakfast Club, of course, wrote a cute little story about Queen Elizabeth I and her court of mice-friends. Sweet book.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
May 09, 2008 Susanna - Censored by GoodReads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who are interested in the tudor period
Recommended to Susanna - Censored by GoodReads by: my mother
I adored this book when I was a child. My mother bought it for me when it first came out, as I had loved both The Wives of Henry VIII and Elizabeth R on Masterpiece Theatre. Good choice, Mom!
Kara
Jul 30, 2011 Kara added it
Shelves: tudor-fiction

Impressive given the age of the writer. Its kind of Beatrix Potter meets The Borrower's plus Ben and Me, set in the Elizabethan era.

Surprizingly though, not at /all/ G rated.

Francine
May 10, 2008 Francine added it
Shelves: fluff
Saw an except of this in Seventeen when I was in High School. It was the first book I had special ordered. Still have the book, loved it, still pick it up. It's cute.
Tara
May 14, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: influences
I was influenced by this book because I knew that a 12-year old girl wrote it. "If she can publish a book, I can do it," is what I told myself in second grade.
Gretchen
Otherwise known as 'Allie Sheedy'. Yep. That one. Written when she was young. Amusing, quick read about England's Queen Elizabeth I.
Janel Tortorice
Apr 01, 2013 Janel Tortorice rated it it was amazing
I read this when a child, and I just loved it. Started a life-long interest in Elizabeth I. And in writing my own book.
Leah Colvin-Roy
Jan 28, 2008 Leah Colvin-Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mom read this to me when i was very young. A good one to learn about a historical figure for a child.
Susan
Mar 29, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Sweet little book about the mice in the palace of Elizabeth I. Nice break!
Zoe Koch
Nov 20, 2013 Zoe Koch rated it really liked it
Very good but short book
Red
Red marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Mary Howard
Mary Howard rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Luna81de
Luna81de marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Haley
Haley added it
Jan 23, 2016
Rachel Luo
Rachel Luo marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Redryl Jim
Redryl Jim marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Madeleine
Madeleine rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
ZM
ZM marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)
  • The Pirate Queen: Queen Elizabeth I, Her Pirate Adventurers, and the Dawn of Empire
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • The Confident Hope of a Miracle: The True Story of the Spanish Armada
  • Fog Magic
  • Rosalind Franklin and DNA
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • England Under the Tudors
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • No Such Thing as a Witch
  • After Elizabeth: The Rise of James of Scotland and the Struggle for the Throne of England
  • The Mousewife
  • The Tudor Wench
  • Sir Francis Drake
  • I Walk in Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691
  • Roman de Brut
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)