Start by marking “Origin” as Want to Read:

Origin (Konrath/Kilborn Horror Collective)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  3,570 ratings  ·  357 reviews
**There are six books in the Konrath/Kilborn Collective. ORIGIN, THE LIST, AFRAID, TRAPPED, and ENDURANCE are the first five, and can be read in any order. The sixth, HAUNTED HOUSE, contains characters from each of the previous books.**

Published April 8th 2009 by Joe Konrath

To ask other readers questions about Origin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origin

American Psycho by Bret Easton EllisHaunted by Chuck PalahniukOff Season by Jack KetchumThe Girl Next Door by Jack KetchumExquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite
The Goriest Books Ever
61st out of 255 books — 490 voters
NOS4A2 by Joe HillWorld War Z by Max BrooksHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiHorns by Joe HillHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Best Horror Books of the 21st Century
103rd out of 239 books — 537 voters

More lists with this book...

So...the Evil One

Just looking at Cheney Satan you can tell that he’s a mean, duplicitous, evil, soul-sucking prick who greedily wallows in his own vileness like a pig on a crap carpet.

Still...there’s no denying that the "Horned One" makes a great plot device and I am a big fan of “is it really the Devil or isn’t it” stories. I especially enjoy the psychological, “closed door mystery” variety where maybe-satan is stuck in a specific location and the characters are trying to establish his bona
This is what I'm talking about! Just finished two mediocre books and was wanting so badly to pick up a can't-put-down story along the lines of Natural Selection and The Relic, and I chose this one on my Kindle. Great pick, if I do say so myself. Love books about ancient history and religion; throw a demon into the mix and I'm a happy camper. This book is all kinds of fun and it's taking my mind off my current troubles.

Andy, a young linguist who
Dirk Grobbelaar
[He] didn’t like this at all.
His curiosity was being overtaken by a creepy feeling.

Pick up the "Abominog" album by Uriah Heep and stare at the front cover for at least five minutes. No, make that ten. Congratulations, you have now assimilated Origin.

If that thing on the "Abominog" cover looks like it can take a nasty bite out of you… it’s because it probably can, as this book also sets out to prove.

[Its] lips creased back, revealing a huge valley of yellow, jagged teeth.

This book is quite a conu
This was my second reading of ORIGIN--in order to prepare for its sequel HOLES IN THE GROUND! I absolutely loved the character interaction and the scenes that Konrath had in this book. Having read most of his other novellas/novellas, it was nice to see Frank again (who was recently in the novel HAUNTED HOUSE), and get re-aquainted with what brought him to where he was in THIS novel.

A very fast-paced read, with plenty of horrific "miracles" to keep things interesting.

Highly recommended!
I'd give this one 3.5 stars especially since it's only .99 cents on Kindle. The author describes this in his afterward as Jurassic Park meets The Exorcist which I'd say is fairly accurate. It starts off with the workers building the Panama canal finding a capsule with a creature that may or may not be the devil hibernating within. Roosevelt has it shipped to the US and builds an underground facility to study and contain it. The real action starts in modern times when the thing wakes up. Overall ...more
What a roller-coaster ride. While building the Panama canal in 1906, A creature is discovered that looks suspiciously like the devil. President Theodore Roosevelt has it transported in a secret subterranean laboratory in New Mexico where it can be studied. One hundred years later it wakes up.

This is the basis of a fun and scary novel that has you guessing what this thing really is all the way to the end. Konrath combined theology, physics, and other disciplines into an effective techno-horror th
J.F. Penn
Full video review here:

I’m a sucker for anything remotely spiritual or related to gods or demons. With a beginning quote from revelation I was hooked!

Plot Overview (no spoilers): When the Panama canal was being excavated a 12 foot long casket was found, marked with strange symbols. Inside was a creature of indescribable horror, alive but lying dormant which was transported back to the US and kept in a secret location in New Mexico, Project Samhain. Now, t
Mike (the Paladin)
I see a lot of people liked this book, I didn't. I found the premise weak and even with his "what's really happening" take on things I had the "been there, done that, got the tee shirt" feeling from early on.

The characters did little or nothing for me. They move through the story as they're directed by the writer and they're okay, but I couldn't get involved with them. I couldn't care.

I've been reading another series by Mr. Konrath and I find that there's something in common. He either doesn't r
Charn Singh

Origin is one hell of an express ride. Brilliantly fast paced and scary. A completely satisfactory techno thriller, what it promised and intended to be. I read away last 180 pages in a single go, it was that hard to put down.

- Decent characters, no unnecessary manuscripts about their pasts that is a major put-off sometimes.
- Decent enough story with element of suspense and discovery
- Brilliantly described ambiance and setting against story background
- Fast paced adrenaline rush driven secon
Maxine Marsh
At least a 4.5 star read. I'd been wanting to read this for a long time, and finally got to it. I wasn't disappointed. Classic Konrath, good group of characters faces down evil complete with kickass female in the lead. Loved it.
Russell Brooks
I finished reading this book yesterday. I was a bit let down because I felt that the story had the potential to be a lot better. I'm not trashing it however. The premise was great. But the first half of the story dragged on a bit too long. At one point I nearly lost interest. Then a major incident (don't want to give away the spoiler) got me hooked and it became a rollercoaster ride right until the very last page. Then something else happened on the last page (no spoiler) that upset me.

The initi
In 1906, workers digging the Panama Canal discovered a capsule buried deep in the earth. They found it contained a sleeping demon. The U.S. government imprisoned the beast in a secret facility buried beneath the desert where it's been studied ever since. But because an assignment to Project Samhain is a one-way ticket, the facility ends up being staffed by misfits, oddballs, and people who have screwed up so badly that they're willing to take the risk of permanent exile for a shot at redemption. ...more
Fascinating! Absolutely loved the deft manipulation in the debate from the 3 sides (Judaism, Catholicism, and science)regarding what Bub is. To the point where all 3 feel justly represented. Of course being a science geek I found plot entirely plausible. Loved the characters Enjoyed the realistic dialog. Bub was the best villain ever. Those eating scenes are going to haunt my memory for awhile. Not only am I giving this book 5 out of 5 stars, but it has made it to my list of top 10 books EVER!
I really liked this book. It was a fast read, funny, scary and held my attention from page one. The premise was fantastic and "Bub" is truly a classic horror villain. I also liked the supporting characters and thought they were drawn out well unlike a few of the 2 star reviewers mentioned. I am a big fan of Konrath/Kilborn/Kimball and I highly recommend this book.
I love the concept. What is this demon like creature found buried in the South American rain forest. Is it truly Satan... or just some other pissed off demon.

Another overlooked winning selection by J.A. Konrath.
Fun and fast read, also scary, actually gave me a nightmare. This is the first novel I have read by this author, there will hopefully be many more.
I loved this book so much! Just like all his books, no matter what pen name this author writtes under (haven't tried the scifi yet, but I'd love to as scifi is my long favorite genre).
I just loved some of the characters here, Dr.Belgium with his speach disorder and revealing it at funny moments repeating evertything thrice...I laughed outloud at some parts in the book :)
Sun was great too and Andy was just her match.
Bub was the very bad villain, scary...the ending left me wondering if there might
It boggles my mind that this author wasn't able to get anywhere with this book. It was fabulous! I haven't read a book that kept me on the edge of my seat as much as this one did in a long time. My family went to bed around 9 PM last night, but I wound up staying awake for another two hours just so I could read this book. When I had a hard time staying awake, I had to put it down to sleep, but the second I woke up, I grabbed my Kindle and finished it. It was incredible, and I loved the ending! I ...more
Jon Spoelstra
Very interesting premise. In 1906 they were digging the Panama Canal. It took a very deep hole. Inside the hole they found a mysterious container about 20 feet long.

This container was shipped to a U.S. military base in New Mexico. At the base, they took the object out of the case. The object was a 19-foot version of what everybody perceives the devil to be, including horns and tail. It was sleeping or in a coma.

It finally awoke.

It was fun to see how people responded to the devil.
An awesome read!! This story pulled me in from the beginning and didn't let up. All the characters and scenes were vivid and memorable. Plus, it's one of those stories you can't help but tell your friends and family about. If your a fan of stories like Jurassic Park by Crichton or The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child you will love this book.
Kathy Jenkins
Picture this! 100 years ago a capsule was discovered buried in the ground (supposedly by the Mayans). Inside, was a giant creature which resembled everyone's worst-nightmare description of the devil himself, complete with horns and wings. The U.S. government built a massive underground secret facility to house this mammoth creature. For 100 years, the creature, which they called Bub (short for Beelzebub) was in a coma. The government contracted with the top science, religious and medical minds t ...more
Anthea Strezze
It was a fun read, well worth the $0.99 I paid for it, but definitely what I would call a popcorn novel.

The pitch, as written by the author, is:

Thriller writer J.A. Konrath, author of the Lt. Jack Daniels series, digs into the vaults and unearths a technohorror tale from the depths of hell...

1906 - Something is discovered by workers digging the Panama Canal. Something dormant. Sinister. Very much alive.

2009 - Project Samhain. A secret underground government installation begun 103 years ago in Ne
I recently purchased an Amazon Kindle and downloaded this book for one simple reason-it was free. I checked the reviews and it is marked favorably, that combined with free, really hit the mark. I downloaded it in under 30 seconds to my kindle and began to read.

Origin was never published in bound book form. Mr. Konrath shopped it around however, it was never picked up for publishing. After several tinkering sessions he decided to release it for free via his website. The response from readers, tho
I’ve got a ton of Joe Konrath books on my Kindle from when he was doing a 3-day giveaway where (virtually) all of his books were free. They’ve been sitting there untouched for quite a while, so I decided to finally give Origin a shot. After all, the book is described as a mix between The Exorcist and Jurassic Park . I don’t see how one could possibly go wrong with that.

And, while Mr. Konrath didn’t go wrong with it, I have to admit the book could have been better (hence my middle-of-the-road
Basically a story of demon, named Bub, who the American government have decided to experiment on. They house him in an uber secret facility, feed him only sheep, expect answers to ALL of mankinds questions and wonder why he gets pissed off, tries to escape and hatch his master plan to obliterate humanity.

Great blend of weird but damaged characters, which is my first niggle because if “you” seriously had this terrifying secret you needed to keep would you allow that calibre of person to be respo
Kirkus MacGowan
Sucked in from the first paragraph is the only way to describe Origin. The first twenty percent of the book is as good as any thriller I’ve read. I couldn’t wait to read more.

There wasn’t a clear cut-off point, but things slowed down. Not necessarily in a bad way, we just learn more about the plot and possible blooming romances. A few chapters later, it picked back up again and never stopped.

You know those movies when every time something bad happens, something worse happens? If you don’t enjoy
May 24, 2011 LJ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
So my halfway-point review was spot-on. It was a quick read, but the characters and their struggles remained flatly on the pages (or more accurately, the screen). The pacing was great, the premise of the story was actually better than I thought it would be (though I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about having "The Relic" meet "The Exorcist" only to find that I've really been in "Stargate" the entire time), but I just didn't give a damn about anyone.

The author went through the trouble of g
from looking at other reviews I'm obviously the only person who didn't enjoy this book, I thought it was a little too Dan Brown and Sam Bourne for my liking, don't get me wrong I love those authors, but I read this one as it was the preceding book to a collaboration, so I kinda of went into this thinking it was going to be similar writing, but I don't understand how it could be so different. You might like it, but I think I read it with the wrong mindset
Origin is a great little book with outstanding characters and a hook almost guaranteed to get readers to open the book and start reading. The hook is that the US government has Satan captured and held in an impenetrable underground facility for well over a hundred years. As a team of scientists continue to run tests and experiments on the comatose demon, he suddenly wakes up and sets into motion a number of events that create an unforgettable reading experience.

The book has few, if any, slow sp
G.R. Yeates
Evidence that just because a book has not sold to traditional publishers does mean it's a bad piece of work. Konrath takes everyone's favourite bad guy and treats him as scientifically as Crichton did a dinosaur theme park. I was genuinely impressed with this original approach to a monster we have seen time and time again.

The story rocks along at the breakneck page-turning pace I've come to expect from this gentleman's stories and is a successful blend of horror, thriller and science.

My only cri
paced reading hor...: origin 100% spoilers 44 17 Sep 24, 2014 07:28AM
  • Endurance (Afraid, #3)
  • Draculas
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Sea Sick
  • Plaza: An Archaeological Thriller
  • Symbios
  • Sick (Project Eden, #1)
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Konrath/Kilborn Horror Collective (8 books)
  • Serial Killers Uncut
  • The List
  • Afraid
  • Trapped
  • Endurance (Afraid, #3)
  • Haunted House
  • Holes in the Ground
Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1) Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2) Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4) Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3) The List

“We don't know the Devil's side of the story, because God wrote all the books.” 26 likes
“Frank,” Andy said slowly, “I don’t think the hellspawn wants to play checkers with you.” 0 likes