Start by marking “Origin” as Want to Read:
Origin

Origin (Konrath/Kilborn Collective #2)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  4,431 Ratings  ·  399 Reviews
**There are six books in the Konrath/Kilborn Collective. ORIGIN, THE LIST, AFRAID, TRAPPED, and ENDURANCE are the first five, and can be read in any order. The sixth, HAUNTED HOUSE, contains characters from each of the previous books.**

Thriller writer J.A. Konrath, author of the Lt. Jack Daniels series, digs into the vaults and unearths a technohorror tale from the depths
Published April 8th 2009 by Joe Konrath

To ask other readers questions about Origin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origin

Stephen
So...the Evil One
Photobucket

Just looking at Cheney Satan you can tell that he’s a mean, duplicitous, evil, soul-sucking prick who greedily wallows in his own vileness like a pig on a crap carpet.

Still...there’s no denying that the "Horned One" makes a great plot device and I am a big fan of “is it really the Devil or isn’t it” stories. I especially enjoy the psychological, “closed door mystery” variety where maybe-satan is stuck in a specific location and the characters are trying to establish his bona
Tressa
Apr 25, 2011 Tressa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2011, demons
This is what I'm talking about! Just finished two mediocre books and was wanting so badly to pick up a can't-put-down story along the lines of Natural Selection and The Relic, and I chose this one on my Kindle. Great pick, if I do say so myself. Love books about ancient history and religion; throw a demon into the mix and I'm a happy camper. This book is all kinds of fun and it's taking my mind off my current troubles.

==================================================

Andy, a young linguist who
Dirk Grobbelaar
[He] didn’t like this at all.
His curiosity was being overtaken by a creepy feeling.

Pick up the "Abominog" album by Uriah Heep and stare at the front cover for at least five minutes. No, make that ten. Congratulations, you have now assimilated Origin.

If that thing on the "Abominog" cover looks like it can take a nasty bite out of you… it’s because it probably can, as this book also sets out to prove.

[Its] lips creased back, revealing a huge valley of yellow, jagged teeth.

This book is quite a conu
Kimberly
Jul 10, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was my second reading of ORIGIN--in order to prepare for its sequel HOLES IN THE GROUND! I absolutely loved the character interaction and the scenes that Konrath had in this book. Having read most of his other novellas/novellas, it was nice to see Frank again (who was recently in the novel HAUNTED HOUSE), and get re-aquainted with what brought him to where he was in THIS novel.

A very fast-paced read, with plenty of horrific "miracles" to keep things interesting.

Highly recommended!
Bridget
Dec 12, 2011 Bridget rated it liked it
I'd give this one 3.5 stars especially since it's only .99 cents on Kindle. The author describes this in his afterward as Jurassic Park meets The Exorcist which I'd say is fairly accurate. It starts off with the workers building the Panama canal finding a capsule with a creature that may or may not be the devil hibernating within. Roosevelt has it shipped to the US and builds an underground facility to study and contain it. The real action starts in modern times when the thing wakes up. Overall ...more
WendyB
Oct 26, 2016 WendyB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Loved it. A strange, gory story with lots of action and a really nasty demon.
The ending was a cliff hanger. Can't wait to read the sequel.
Marvin
Jan 02, 2011 Marvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
What a roller-coaster ride. While building the Panama canal in 1906, A creature is discovered that looks suspiciously like the devil. President Theodore Roosevelt has it transported in a secret subterranean laboratory in New Mexico where it can be studied. One hundred years later it wakes up.

This is the basis of a fun and scary novel that has you guessing what this thing really is all the way to the end. Konrath combined theology, physics, and other disciplines into an effective techno-horror th
J.F. Penn
Jan 08, 2011 J.F. Penn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers, horror
Full video review here: http://mysterythriller.tv/origin-by-j...

I’m a sucker for anything remotely spiritual or related to gods or demons. With a beginning quote from revelation I was hooked!

Plot Overview (no spoilers): When the Panama canal was being excavated a 12 foot long casket was found, marked with strange symbols. Inside was a creature of indescribable horror, alive but lying dormant which was transported back to the US and kept in a secret location in New Mexico, Project Samhain. Now, t
Mike (the Paladin)
I see a lot of people liked this book, I didn't. I found the premise weak and even with his "what's really happening" take on things I had the "been there, done that, got the tee shirt" feeling from early on.

The characters did little or nothing for me. They move through the story as they're directed by the writer and they're okay, but I couldn't get involved with them. I couldn't care.

I've been reading another series by Mr. Konrath and I find that there's something in common. He either doesn't r
Steven
Aug 09, 2010 Steven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-a-konrath
An awesome read!! This story pulled me in from the beginning and didn't let up. All the characters and scenes were vivid and memorable. Plus, it's one of those stories you can't help but tell your friends and family about. If your a fan of stories like Jurassic Park by Crichton or The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child you will love this book.
Bill
Jun 04, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was a fast read, funny, scary and held my attention from page one. The premise was fantastic and "Bub" is truly a classic horror villain. I also liked the supporting characters and thought they were drawn out well unlike a few of the 2 star reviewers mentioned. I am a big fan of Konrath/Kilborn/Kimball and I highly recommend this book.
Maxine Marsh
At least a 4.5 star read. I'd been wanting to read this for a long time, and finally got to it. I wasn't disappointed. Classic Konrath, good group of characters faces down evil complete with kickass female in the lead. Loved it.
Paul
Sep 03, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing
They don't know that we know they know we know.

My title (from an episode of Friends) relates to a short passage in Origin on Page 78. Maybe it was intentional - maybe not - but this... "Besides, better to know what your enemy knows than to not know if he knows anything or not" made me laugh and reminded me of Friends. Damn you Konrath...it also made me think too hard and hurt my head!

I think I had an inexplicable attack of shallowness or maybe I was just too bogged down while trying to fathom Mo
Karen B.
May 19, 2016 Karen B. rated it it was amazing
This is the third book I have read in the Konrath/Killborn Collective. What I love about each one is that each is unique; totally different thrillers. I am so glad I decided to read the first five before getting into Haunted House which contains many of the characters from the first ones.
Origin is about a mysterious discovery found while digging the Panama Canal. President Teddy Roosevelt decided to keep this discovery under the power of the US government and each successive president has k
Russell Brooks
Apr 06, 2011 Russell Brooks rated it it was ok
I finished reading this book yesterday. I was a bit let down because I felt that the story had the potential to be a lot better. I'm not trashing it however. The premise was great. But the first half of the story dragged on a bit too long. At one point I nearly lost interest. Then a major incident (don't want to give away the spoiler) got me hooked and it became a rollercoaster ride right until the very last page. Then something else happened on the last page (no spoiler) that upset me.

The initi
J.D.
Oct 02, 2011 J.D. rated it liked it
In 1906, workers digging the Panama Canal discovered a capsule buried deep in the earth. They found it contained a sleeping demon. The U.S. government imprisoned the beast in a secret facility buried beneath the desert where it's been studied ever since. But because an assignment to Project Samhain is a one-way ticket, the facility ends up being staffed by misfits, oddballs, and people who have screwed up so badly that they're willing to take the risk of permanent exile for a shot at redemption. ...more
Charn Singh
Aug 10, 2011 Charn Singh rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, horror

Origin is one hell of an express ride. Brilliantly fast paced and scary. A completely satisfactory techno thriller, what it promised and intended to be. I read away last 180 pages in a single go, it was that hard to put down.

Pros:
- Decent characters, no unnecessary manuscripts about their pasts that is a major put-off sometimes.
- Decent enough story with element of suspense and discovery
- Brilliantly described ambiance and setting against story background
- Fast paced adrenaline rush driven secon
Shelli
Oct 24, 2016 Shelli rated it liked it
3.5 stars! A very fun fast-paced read for October. Yes, it was over the top in the unbelievable category, but it was a fun ride anyway. I really ended up liking the characters who were a bunch of nonconformists thrown together by the government for a "special top secret program." Yep....these people needed a second chance or they wouldn't have taken the job. You get the picture... Anyway...the special top secret program involved a demon...named Bub! What a great character he was. There really we ...more
Katie
Fascinating! Absolutely loved the deft manipulation in the debate from the 3 sides (Judaism, Catholicism, and science)regarding what Bub is. To the point where all 3 feel justly represented. Of course being a science geek I found plot entirely plausible. Loved the characters Enjoyed the realistic dialog. Bub was the best villain ever. Those eating scenes are going to haunt my memory for awhile. Not only am I giving this book 5 out of 5 stars, but it has made it to my list of top 10 books EVER!
William
I love the concept. What is this demon like creature found buried in the South American rain forest. Is it truly Satan... or just some other pissed off demon.

Another overlooked winning selection by J.A. Konrath.
Scott Brook
May 14, 2016 Scott Brook rated it really liked it
A good quick read of a discovery found during the building of the Panama Canal. The government believes it may be the unearthing of the Devil, but it turns out to be much worse. A great and unique story by Konrath. I recommend for a good rainy day read.
Marc-Antoine
Mar 10, 2012 Marc-Antoine rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, demon
Fun and fast read, also scary, actually gave me a nightmare. This is the first novel I have read by this author, there will hopefully be many more.
Natasa
I loved this book so much! Just like all his books, no matter what pen name this author writtes under (haven't tried the scifi yet, but I'd love to as scifi is my long favorite genre).
I just loved some of the characters here, Dr.Belgium with his speach disorder and revealing it at funny moments repeating evertything thrice...I laughed outloud at some parts in the book :)
Sun was great too and Andy was just her match.
Bub was the very bad villain, scary...the ending left me wondering if there might
Feb 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
It's been a while since I've read a thriller as entertaining as Origin.

Konrath successfully combined the science of Jurassic Park with the beast of Relic. There were several elements of Origin that pulled me right out of the story at times, but the suspense and my curiosity pulled me right back in.

I got a pdf ebook from Konrath's website for free, but you can also get other formats (Kindle, Nook, etc.) for super cheap. If you are a fan of techothrillers, horror, or suspense, I recommend you chec
Jon Spoelstra
Dec 17, 2009 Jon Spoelstra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Very interesting premise. In 1906 they were digging the Panama Canal. It took a very deep hole. Inside the hole they found a mysterious container about 20 feet long.

This container was shipped to a U.S. military base in New Mexico. At the base, they took the object out of the case. The object was a 19-foot version of what everybody perceives the devil to be, including horns and tail. It was sleeping or in a coma.

It finally awoke.

It was fun to see how people responded to the devil.
Jessie
Feb 09, 2014 Jessie rated it it was amazing
It boggles my mind that this author wasn't able to get anywhere with this book. It was fabulous! I haven't read a book that kept me on the edge of my seat as much as this one did in a long time. My family went to bed around 9 PM last night, but I wound up staying awake for another two hours just so I could read this book. When I had a hard time staying awake, I had to put it down to sleep, but the second I woke up, I grabbed my Kindle and finished it. It was incredible, and I loved the ending! I ...more
Kimberly
Aug 02, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horror
Excellent book, I have read all in this serious and they were all very good! Highly recommend this author.
Tiffany
Dec 29, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We don't know the Devil's side of the story, because God wrote all the books.”

The second book in the J.A. Konrath/ Jack Kilborn collective is Origin, which is a big departure from the action-thriller, The List. In Origin, workers discover something monstrous while digging the Panama Canal. Whatever it is, President Theodore Roosevelt believe it to be so important that he hides the secret discovery from the world. Now in 2009, the dormant creature has awoken. After 103 years, Roosevelt's Projec
Vix
Jul 27, 2012 Vix rated it really liked it
Basically a story of demon, named Bub, who the American government have decided to experiment on. They house him in an uber secret facility, feed him only sheep, expect answers to ALL of mankinds questions and wonder why he gets pissed off, tries to escape and hatch his master plan to obliterate humanity.

Great blend of weird but damaged characters, which is my first niggle because if “you” seriously had this terrifying secret you needed to keep would you allow that calibre of person to be respo
Alazzar
Jul 02, 2012 Alazzar rated it liked it
I’ve got a ton of Joe Konrath books on my Kindle from when he was doing a 3-day giveaway where (virtually) all of his books were free. They’ve been sitting there untouched for quite a while, so I decided to finally give Origin a shot. After all, the book is described as a mix between The Exorcist and Jurassic Park . I don’t see how one could possibly go wrong with that.

And, while Mr. Konrath didn’t go wrong with it, I have to admit the book could have been better (hence my middle-of-the-road
paced reading hor...: origin 100% spoilers 44 18 Sep 24, 2014 07:28AM
  • Endurance (Afraid, #3)
  • Draculas
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • Symbios
  • For the Love of Death (The Death Series, #7)
  • Ultimate Thriller Box Set
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Sick (Project Eden, #1)
  • Sam
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Konrath/Kilborn Collective (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The List
  • Afraid
  • Trapped
  • Endurance (Afraid, #3)
  • Haunted House
  • Webcam (The Konrath/Kilborn Collective)
  • Disturb
  • Serial Killers Uncut
  • Holes in the Ground
  • Draculas

“We don't know the Devil's side of the story, because God wrote all the books.” 31 likes
“Frank,” Andy said slowly, “I don’t think the hellspawn wants to play checkers with you.” 1 likes