Start by marking “The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner” as Want to Read:

You will absolutely love the 101 Asian recipes in this easy to use cookbook. This author learned from the best — her mom!

"What am I going to cook for dinner tonight?" It's a common lament for everyone, and the answer too often is something unhealthy, unappealing, or both in the form of expensive take-out. Jaden Hair comes to the rescue in The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook, a fa
Published October 10th 2009 by Tuttle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook

Just - The romance reader
Jun 11, 2010 Just - The romance reader rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-library, cookbook
I'm definitely a fan of Asian food, and enjoy cooking it at home, but I'm not extremely knowledgeable or adventurous with it. I enjoy Japanese hibachi, and my taste for Chinese doesn't good beyond the standards you find at your neighborhood Chinese spot - Sesame Chicken, Sweet n Sour, Beef & Broccoli, egg rolls, you get the idea.

With that said, although I didn't find alot of recipes in this book I see myself making, there were about 5 or 6 I have on my to make list. For the most part the in
Sarah Wilson
Jan 14, 2012 Sarah Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
Jaden is a funny lady and makes some damn good food. I love a cookbook that you can also enjoy as a book. Jaden's stories before chapters or a recipe only add to the reasons why I love having this on my shelf. Aside from that, the recipes are great. I have never made fried rice that tasted half as good before her. I actually prefer it to takeout, since it has no msg. She really makes you question why someone needs to get takeout at all. Her directions are simple and straightforward and while not ...more
Tina
Feb 15, 2010 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
The intro had a good section on tools and ingredients. This book is chock-full of recipes and each one is accompanied by a beautiful photo. What I found unique about this Asian cookbook compared to other Asian cookbooks is the Sweets and Libations section-- apple ginger mint ice tea and matcha crepes-- what imagination! I had time to try only 2 recipes: Grilled Fish with Kabayaki Sauce and Coconut Shrimp, both of which I found a little disappointing. The first, I found too salty-- and would prob ...more
Theryn Fleming
Dec 31, 2010 Theryn Fleming rated it really liked it
Every recipe in The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook is illustrated with a photo of the finished dish, making for good inspirational browsing—perfect coffee table material. It opens flat and stays open, which is nice if you’re actually using it to refer to while cooking. Wouldn’t want to get sticky fingerprints on these pages. The book strikes a good balance between personality and practicality. Recipes range from appetizers to dessert and everything in between. I liked that there was a sauce section, as ...more
Michelle
Mar 19, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
The book itself is beautifully written and the pictures are amazing. Jaden Hair is also very likeable and I love her blog as well!! However, the recipes were a bit disappointing. I tried 5 of her recipes, and all of them were either too salty, or bland and none of them I would make again. I'm not going to bother trying any of the other recipes. If possible, I always try to test out a cookbook by borrowing from the library before I purchase it, and thankfully this one was borrowed and I didn't wa ...more
Scotty Schrier
May 29, 2010 Scotty Schrier rated it it was amazing
I challenge you to find a chef out there that is more dynamic, more approachable, more down-to-earth, and more lovable than Jaden Hair.

(Hint: You will fail.)

This is another one of those TOP 5 cookbooks. Even if I don't follow the recipes straight out...I can utilize the sauces and marinades for a variety of other things and THEY ALL WORK! Super easy to follow and written like someone who loves food.

I have had the immense pleasure of breaking bread with Jaden and she is good people. Her book bea
Po
Feb 15, 2011 Po rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in Asian cooking
Shelves: cookbook, 2010, asian-food
One of the best parts of this book is the descriptions of all the different ingredients that the author uses and the brands that she recommends. I like the recipes for the different sauces that you can make yourself and the fact that their are useful tips throughout the book. The writing style is very casual and seems kind of goofy at times but I've really enjoyed the recipes I've made so far.
Teri
Feb 28, 2011 Teri rated it it was amazing
Beautiful cookbook full of yummy, easy to prepare Asian dishes, as well as lots of colorful photos and funny insights from the author. Everything is made from simple ingredients that can be found at your local market. Love the Thai Chicken in Sweet Chili Sauce and the Beef Satay with Cashew Dipping Sauce. The Garlic Butter Noodles are to die for. One of my favorite cookbooks ever. Also, try the Steamy Kitchen blog -- it's awesome.
Hillary
Jul 07, 2012 Hillary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This is the cookbook that got me started on my obsession with Asian cooking. I have made a good number of the recipes in this book and my boyfriend (who is Chinese) and I both love them. I highly recommend this cookbook and her website too. Jaden's recipes are easy to follow and her book gives you all the info you need about techniques and unfamiliar ingredients.
Angela
Dec 28, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent cookbook for anyone wanting to foray into the world of Asian cuisine. Every recipe I tried in this book was delicious! I originally found this book at the library after following the author's blog for quite some time. I liked it so much that I asked for it for Christmas, and got it!
Suzy
Jul 29, 2012 Suzy added it
My go to cookbook on Asian Cuisine. Love the intro on how and what to shop for at your Pacific/ Asian Market. 've enjoyed Jaden's sense of humor too! Easy to read recipes that are advanced, but don't require super unusual ingredients.
E
Mar 06, 2014 E rated it really liked it
Easy and inspiring dishes.. She has the complicated sauces that are typical in Asian foods made less complicated - so the recipes are easier for a weeknight...which is great (and they are still tasty.)
Molly
Jun 21, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
I am excited with this cookbook, because it has a lot of recipes that appear to be easy to start trying Asian cooking. I also like all the explanations and options when the author describes ingredients. Overall, yum!
Tina
Feb 07, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
Fabulous step by step instructions for a delicious variety of authentic dishes that are completely approachable by cooks of any culture. Lots of great pics of ingredients to make your trip to the Asian market a breeze.
Nancy
Jun 30, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My new favorite cookbook, filled with easy, tasty recipes. I really like this one because it reflects the foods we enjoy...Asian or Asian inspired that are quick and easy, and made with ingredients that are easy to find locally.
Scott
Apr 29, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Great Cookbook that I have easily made dinners and lunches from! I suggest picking this up if you enjoy - no - love Asian food. If you don;t already, you will after seeing some of the great dishes inside of this book!
False Millennium
Dec 13, 2015 False Millennium rated it liked it
Shelves: food-drink
Interesting concept in terms of making one recipe adaptable to several styles, but not for me. Still. For someone.
Stepha
Jul 16, 2011 Stepha rated it really liked it
more food p*rn, clever writing and fun recipes that are a step-up from the average fare. i just read it from the library, but maybe i'll buy it for my nook, too.
bell
I loved the peanut sauce <3 And there were a number of other recipes I wanted to try out! It'd be worth checking out of the library again.
Heather
Aug 31, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
strangely, not many recipes sounded that appealing. seems well-written in an engaging style though, and has a mix of asian recipes.
Sue
Jul 24, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
Wonderful indroduction by the author. Beautiful pictures of the food and her family. I have yet to try one of the recipes, but this book is high on my "must try" list.
Patricia
Sep 29, 2010 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Jaden Hair is delightful, and that shows in this A-1 cookbook. Great, makeable recipes, fun comments and information plus lots of photos. A must-have!
Molly Rapozo
Molly Rapozo rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
Traci Purcell
Traci Purcell rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Kathy Davidson
Kathy Davidson rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Erika
Erika rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2009
Marcia
Marcia rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2013
Eliza White
Eliza White rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Joyce
Joyce rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Ellison
Ellison rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao
  • Curtis Stone's What's For Dinner? Simple Recipes for Every Night of the Week
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Louisiana Real and Rustic
  • The New Indian Slow Cooker: Recipes for Curries, Dals, Chutneys, Masalas, Biryani, and More
  • Cheap. Fast. Good!
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
  • Homemade Soda