Start by marking “Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts” as Want to Read:
Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts

Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Over the past century, America's Eagle Scouts have earned a reputation for service, virtue, and leadership that is recognized throughout the world. But few people realize the full extent to which Eagle Scouts have made a mark on American history. They have served as astronauts, soldiers, politicians, and businessmen, but they have also been the fathers, brothers, Scoutmast ...more
Published March 3rd 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Legacy of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy of Honor

Amanda
I picked up my Dad's copy of the book after finding it sitting out on the table and it was over an hour later before I finally put it down to go to bed. Townley takes readers on a journey through not only the history of the Boy Scouts, but the history of America through many of its heroes. From the Flying Tigers to 9/11, from Vietnam Helo pilots to NASA astronauts, Eagle Scouts have helped shape our society.
Doug
Inspirational! As a long time Scouter, I had a good idea of who were Eagles but it was interesting to read about their experiences. I was also amazed that I shared similar experiences that some of those written about had. I too have been criticized for doing my best by fellow employees (they have to work harder). Anyway, I found the book very inspirational.
Patrick Higgins
This is a great book to have on hand to loan to parents who are unsure about their son joining Scouting. Also very good to give to a younger Scout who is unsure about why he should stay in Scouting.
Jeff
Didn't have the first clue as to how many noteworthy Eagle Scouts there are and the lasting effect those years had on theirh lives. Surprisingly well-written, educational and inspiring read.
Anne
Alvin Townley shares the stories of Eagle Scouts from all walks of life. These are courageous and inspirational men who have had a profound influence on America.
Austin Muraille
Such a wonderful book which truly shows the values that all Eagle Scouts have and opens one's eye to the major influence that one can hold as an Eagle Scout.
Julie
Inspiring, but choppy. I wish he would have had less people, but explored their story more deeply. I felt like I was just getting to know somebody when boom, he moved on to the next person.
Tom
This is an enjoyable book that takes a look at how once you are an Eagle Scout, you are always an Eagle Scout. While this book only looks at the lives of some Eagle Scouts, it makes you realize that trying to do your best and help other people at all times is not such a bad thing. If you are a scout or a parent of a scout it is a good read and helpful reminder about what the program is truly about.
Mike Pouraryan
This is a book that gives us insights into all who have had the privilege to be Eagle Scouts. Jim Lowell, Percy Sutton, Michael Bloomberg, Gerald Ford, Robert Gates are but a sampling of all that understood the essence of Scout Law. I was especially inspired by the story of Zayed Yasin..a Muslim who understood and lived the Scout Law to the fullest...an example for us all of us to be inspired by....
Steve Silbiger
Great book! Perfect gift for a new Eagle Scout or one on his way!
Jennifer McIntyre
We have Boy Scouts on Monday and Cub Scouts on Tuesday - so I try to read a chapter over the weekend. Some chapters are really long - so I may have to break them up - but the boys get a little whoozy listening to the lengthy stories. In the end - I think it will have an impact.
Bryan D.
I think the title says it all. "Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts". There are so many great Eagle Scouts throughout history and Alvin Townley tells some of their stories in this book.
Michael
A really easy read, and an excellent collection of stories about Eagle Scouts and the scouting movement in general. I think anyone who spent some time in scouts as a kid, can appreciate the stories within this book.
Anthony Nuccio
Wonderful first book from a relatively unknown author. It should be on Eagle Scout's bookshelf, or at the very least a coffee table.
Cookiemadeit
I've learned that there is even more to being an Eagle Scout then we will ever know, but we need more of them in the WORLD!
Steven Blough
Great book. Each story brought back memories.
Jon Martin
I'm the proud owner of a signed copy.
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Stephen Kamionek
Stephen Kamionek is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
John W Leone Jr
John W Leone Jr is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Defiant: The POWs Who Endured Vietnam's Most Infamous Prison, the Women Who Fought for Them, and the One Who Never Returned Spirit of Adventure: Eagle Scouts and the Making of America's Future Fly Navy: Discovering the Extraordinary People and Enduring Spirit of Naval Aviation

“At Sanford’s 1998 funeral in Duke Chapel, childhood friend Dickson Philips eulogized this Eagle from Troop 20 in the town of Laurinburg. To the assembled crowd, he eloquently said, “[Terry Sanford] took an oath when he was twelve years old and kept it. It started out, ‘On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country,’ and included such things as ‘help other people at all times.’ He believed it: He was the eternal Boy Scout.” 0 likes
“The boys teach; the Scoutmaster tests.” 0 likes