Start by marking “The Writing & Critique Group Survival Guide: How to Give and Receive Feedback, Self-Edit, and Make Revisions” as Want to Read:

Trying to Finish Your Book? There's Strength in Numbers

Whether you're trying to revise your novel or polish up an article to pitch to magazines, it pays to have a few sets of eyes look over your work. But, how can you be sure you're getting an unbiased and objective opinion?

A writing critique group may be the answer you're looking for, and this book arms you with everythin
Published January 15th 2010 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2009)

B. Lynn
Feb 19, 2010 B. Lynn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers and reviewers
Survival Guide Seeks Writers

Has your critique group hit an impasse? Are you afraid your comments are too harsh or too hollow? Are you ready to start your own critique group? Whatever your situation, Becky Levine’s The Writing & Critique Group Survival Guide: How To Give and Receive Feedback, Self-Edit, and Make Revisions offers sound advice to take a group to the next level.

How do you tell a writer that you zoned out on page 3? Look for the specific causes, whether it’s a lack of tension, a
Lorilyn Roberts
Mar 12, 2010 Lorilyn Roberts rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for someone new to critiqueing. Critiqueing is vitally important to producing good writing. There is a right way to do it and a wrong way. If one follows the steps here, your critique group will have an excellent chance of being successful. If there isn't one in your area, start one. Word Weavers has now affiliated with the Jerry Jenkins Christian Writer's Guild. If you are interested in starting a Word Weavers Critique Group in your town, the link for more information can b ...more
Becky Hoffman
Oct 25, 2011 Becky Hoffman rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly helpful! It taught me the best approach for workshops and how to critique people, because I always try to be the in-betweener or Literary Switzerland and just tell all of them their story is great, when really I couldn't get past the first three pages. It tells you what to focus on and what to look for, and no it's not just 'is the story good or bad'. It makes you focus on character development and plot structure etc. Very good! Highly recommend!
Akoss
May 29, 2011 Akoss rated it it was amazing
There is no way I will ever be done with this book. It's a gem for me as a writer and I keep going back to it for all the tips and amazing worksheets in there.
In my opinion this is a must have tool. I got this at the library now I'm getting my own copy.
Yvensong
Feb 22, 2010 Yvensong rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful resource for anyone looking at editing their own work or considering joining or starting a critique group.
L.M. Elm
Feb 19, 2017 L.M. Elm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Review of How to Critique

I've been a writing group for nearly a decade. Levine covers many of the scenerios I've encountered, but also touches on many I have not. Great book for a refresher on the critique process, or a good start for a beginner to the revision process.
Teresa Lopez
Feb 08, 2017 Teresa Lopez rated it really liked it
Really helped with giving and receiving critiques. Bought some for others in our group too. Very helpful.
Katja Weinert
Jul 15, 2012 Katja Weinert rated it it was amazing
When I bought TW&CGSG I certainly needed a Survival Guide! It can be tricky
providing feedback that's both constructive and not too blunt - goodness knows the first time I read feedback on my own work I was stunned! Most of the feedback was helpful, some less so, but the important thing about the process is we not only learn how to improve on our writing, but to accept that we cannot please all readers.

I'm about to read this book for the third time, as it's been a while since I provided an i
Justin
Jul 30, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
The Writing & Critique Group Survival Guide is a useful resource for those looking to learn and improve critiquing skills as well as for writers interested in joining or starting writing groups. The book covers seven sections: the basics of how to join or run a group, how to critique fiction, how to critique nonfiction, how to critique children's books, how to revise and self-edit from a critique, and how to maintain a group. As a fiction writer with an interest in getting involved in a grou ...more
Susana Ellis
Mar 04, 2013 Susana Ellis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-books
I can't tell you how much this book helped me as a first-time serious writer. Not just the part about organizing a critique group—which is WONDERFUL—but in helping me revise my own writing and understanding how to help others with theirs.

Learning to accept criticism was one of the hardest things for me to learn, and this book was a tremendous help.

This should be a must-read for any serious beginning writer!
Bev
Nov 07, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
This book covered a lot more ground than the title implied. The first section described how to find a group or create your own. But the meat of the book was how to read and comment on a manuscript -- basically, what problems to look for in terms of plot, characterization, dialogue, and other fundamentals. So, it's not only useful in commenting on other people's work... this book is also useful in editing and improving your own.
Lindsay
Jun 26, 2010 Lindsay rated it liked it
My main complaint is that every writing critique group is different, and some of the suggestions in this book are too specific. However, there is a lot of good information, and the book has a browsing quality to it.
Fredrick Danysh
May 05, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Writing groups exist as a way for beginners to show off their work and to get feedback with the intent to improve their work. This book presents ideas how to participate in such groups both to get and give constructive critiques. There are some interesting ideas presented here.
Brandy Ackerley
Aug 13, 2011 Brandy Ackerley rated it really liked it
This book is very good. It really helps you figure out the ins and outs of running a critique group and hows to start up your own. I found it less useful for learning how to do actual critiques but if you don't know how to do one, it will really help you figure out how to get started.
Robin Martin
Nov 02, 2010 Robin Martin rated it really liked it
This is a really great book for writers and editors, not just those who will be in a critique group, but those who want to self-edit. I highly recommend it.
Sarah E.
Oct 16, 2010 Sarah E. rated it liked it
I found some useful information in here, but half of this book didn't apply to me (since I only write fiction). There were some good pointers on critiquing that I will definitely use.
Pat Hauldren
I think I can use this info big time because I am a member of so many writers' groups and helped start several. We seem to work well, but I also want to keep them fresh.
Wendi
Jun 06, 2010 Wendi rated it it was ok
So Far this book is too simplistic for the writer's group I'm envolved in. There have been few new things that we've learned as a group.
Jennifer Chushcoff
Jennifer Chushcoff rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Bettie
Bettie rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Fawn
Fawn rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2010
Stephanie Herman
Stephanie Herman rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2013
Christi Craig
Christi Craig rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2010
Laurie Thompson
Laurie Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2011
India
India rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Muffet Frische
Muffet Frische rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014