Start by marking “Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf” as Want to Read:
Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf

Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  319 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
BIG BAD WOLF, now old and residing in the Villain Villa Senior Center, is invited to a tea by a children's librarian. His best friend, a toothsome crocodile, warns him that he will have to mind his manners. B. B. Wolf makes up a song: "Sip your tea and never slurp, say 'excuse me' if you burp. Smile and have a lot of fun, but don't go biting anyone." He remembers to say "p ...more
Published August 14th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
40th out of 113 books — 139 voters
Radio Rescue by Lynne BaraschThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinThank You, Sarah by Laurie Halse AndersonThank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia PolaccoThe End by David LaRochelle
Picture Books for Older Readers
44th out of 48 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
B.B. Wolf brushes up on his etiquette because is invited to the library for tea. The other storybook characters who come for tea are apprehensive because B.B. Wolf has a reputation for being big and bad. However, everyone is pleasantly surprised at his good manners. It was a nice story, with a clever little rhyme at the end that children can memorize, but it lacked something. Don't know what. I wasn't crazy about the illustrations--maybe that's it. I'll try it out at story time and see what the ...more
Laurie
May 28, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it
Joan
Jun 06, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joan by: PUBYAC listserv
Janine Abraham
Feb 16, 2014 Janine Abraham rated it really liked it
This books gives a cute spin on the tale of the Big Bad Wolf, or B.B. Wolf for short. B.B. Wolf is invited to a tea party with other storybook characters but he doesn't know the right manners. His friend crocodile helps him practice his manners. The other storybook characters are very impressed and realize that B.B. Wolf is not the same wolf from the other stories. This would be a great book to introduce young preschoolers or kindergarteners to manners and politeness. The author even makes up a ...more
Oct 28, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
The Big Bad Wolf is now old and living in the Villain Villa Senior Center, is invited to a tea party by a children's librarian. His best friend, a crocodile, warns him that he will have to mind his manners. B. B. Wolf makes up a song: "Sip your tea and never slurp, say 'excuse me' if you burp. Smile and have a lot of fun, but don't go biting anyone." He remembers to say "please" and "thank you," but when his stomach starts to gurgle, he gets a little mixed-up about what to do when you burp. This ...more
Lavonnia
Nov 23, 2013 Lavonnia rated it really liked it
The book, Mind Your Manners, is a picture book that would be intended for (P) Primary, ages 5 through 8 years old, grades kindergarten through 3rd grade.

This book is about B.B. Wolf who has been invited to attend a tea party at the library. However, he is very concerned about his manners and how he should behave at the tea party. Read the book to find out if the help of a friend and a library book put him on the right track with his manners.

I would give this book a 4 star rating. The illustratio
Heidi
I liked the story. The ending made me wonder--did the librarian's cookies come to life? And didn't he just say he couldn't eat one? Other than that, the story made me smile a bit. Mostly from the humor that could be found in the illustrations. Might work in storytime? Perhaps best for school-age than preschool since they might get the humor better.
Lyndy Stein
Jul 24, 2014 Lyndy Stein rated it really liked it
Shelves: all, fiction
This was a fun story with a little bit of repetition that children love. Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf is perfect for second or third grade readers and is filled with lots of great illustrations. Not only is it entertaining, but it teaches children to think twice before judging someone based on their reputation. I really enjoyed reading this book and think it can be used in the classroom for several fun activities.
Carole
Jun 21, 2015 Carole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books-read
B. B. (Big Bad) Wolf is now old and living in an old folks home for villans. He receives an invitation to tea at the local library. Before he goes, he receives etiquette lessons from his friend the crocodile. Does he behave himself at this annual storybook tea, or not?
Veronica
Apr 28, 2013 Veronica added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

This will be going on my manners booklist. It follows the story of Big Bad Wolf, and his being invited to tea at the public library. Before he goes, he convenes with his other "bad guy" friends to discuss what it will entail, going to tea. They teach him to make sure he sips, not slurps, says excuse me, and talks with people in order to have fun.

It was a well done exercise in teaching
B.B. Wolf is invited to a library tea. His friend the crocodile gives him a few etiquette tips to help him do his best at the tea. B.B. Wolf, despite a few little blips, manages to do his best at the library and promises the librarian that he'll return to tell his side of the story.

Cute! It's a nice story to use to talk about etiquette and how school rules are also media center rules. I wish that the plot flowed a bit more smoothly and that the characters were a bit more developed. Kids will ge
MaryJane
Dec 12, 2014 MaryJane rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, 2014-list, read-alouds
Delightful storytime book for 1st graders! Good starting place for some discussions about etiquette in the library.

It could be used to talk about other perspectives and perceptions.
Donna Siebold
Sep 23, 2015 Donna Siebold rated it really liked it
Brightly colored illustrations enhance this story of the Big Bad Wolf going to the library for tea. The illustrations are as clever as the words themselves.
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
I've been a Sierra fan since receiving her penguin book as a Christmas present in 98. And for whatever reason, abbreviating "Big Bad" to B.B. is hilarious to me.
Rebecca Plaza
Jun 10, 2014 Rebecca Plaza rated it liked it
Has a good rhyme about excuse me and burping. try it as a read aloud.
Shelby Shaffer
good writing workshop book
Isabelleylonen
Sep 25, 2014 Isabelleylonen rated it really liked it
it was a good book
Lbrown107
Feb 27, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it really liked it
The big bad wolf has retired! Now he is working on his manners so that he may join the tea party at the local library.
This book is so much fun to read and children will love the twist to the big bad wolf they thought they knew! The illustrations are wonderful and will keep kids busy as there are so many different things going on on each page!
This is a read for pure pleasure, but it also allows you to have a discussion on manners and explain the term etiquette.
Kelly
Feb 23, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I am a librarian, but I love this book! The Big Bad Wolf gets invited to a storytime tea at the local library. Of course he is just going for the free cookies, but he does try to brush up on his manners before he goes. I love the modernization of the classic fairy tale characters. I could spend hours looking at the illustrations. The details are hysterical. Each time you read this you will see something new. Wonderfully done!
Amy
Jul 15, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
B.B. Wolf is invited to the library for tea. His friend alligator helps him learn proper etiquette on how to behave at the tea. Wolf does in fact behave appropriately (not biting anyone, saying please/thank you)and impresses the librarian as well as a "girl in a red cape," the Gingerbread Boy and the Three Little Pigs! Great to read along with other fairy tales!
Mar 13, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time-pick
Can I just say that I have not read a Judy Sierra book yet that I didn't love. This is a great and hilarious tale of B.B. Wolf going to a tea party at the library. He learns about etiquette because he wants to be polite, and make quite an impression. I loooooooove this story! So funny, and great art work too, along with references to popular fairy tales that kids will know.
Katherine
Mar 19, 2011 Katherine rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! It incorporates a lot of well known fairy tales involving the "big bad wolf" such as "The Three Little Pigs", and "Little Red Riding Hood." This is great for text to text connections. The book also has rhyming throughout which could be great for lessons. This story can also remind students to be polite and use your manners.
B
Jan 05, 2010 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
L got this for Christmas and loves it - he sings along with the wolf's manners song when we read.
and of course love the Siebold illustrations (he has Olive the reindeer too) ...I think he'll appreciate it even more when we read more of the backstory fairy tales (Red Riding Hood, 3 Little Pigs) - been a while since we'd read those.
Katy Houseman
If you need a book about manners this is the book for you. It is a great book to use if you are planning on having a manners discussion with your class. It is also a good book to give an example of how to remember information. Explain to your students that making up a song like B.B. Wolf is a fun and great way to remember things.
Kaye
Oct 02, 2010 Kaye rated it really liked it
B.B. (Big Bad?) Wolf gets invited to the library for a special tea time. He rehearses his manners, and deals with an extremely nice librarian (of course). He even runs to look up "etiquette" using library resources so that he will remember what to say if he burps. This has funny side jokes for older readers and bold graphics.
J-Lynn
This would be a fun book to read with The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. It tells the story of the infamous Wolf and his trip to the library where he learns to be polite.

The pictures are interesting cartoons in bright colors. Older readers will find the subtle details and fairy tale references in each illustration amusing.
Jack Cheng
Apr 06, 2009 Jack Cheng rated it really liked it
This is a goofy tale of the Big Bad Wolf trying to fit in long enough to have afternoon tea at the library (he heard there would be cookies). The art is bright and clear and charming and the goofy songs he makes up to remember his manners inspired my children to chant (and write potty talk parodies of it).
Megan
Nov 08, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
B.B. Wolf is invited to a tea at the library. He goes (because he heard they also serve cookies) but is nervous about making a good impression. He studies up on his etiquette and manages to behave himself. The illustrations are busy, but full of humor if you take the time to examine them.
Bethany
Mar 10, 2009 Bethany rated it liked it
A fun alternative folk/fairy tale; would be a great addition to fairy tale or fractured fairy tale programs. Funny digital illustrations provide opportunity for dialog during read-aloud. Retired, B.B. Wolf is invited to the library for tea and he wants to be sure to be on his best behavior.
Annie
Apr 26, 2013 Annie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool-second grade
This is a hilarious story of he Big Bad Wolf who is invited to tea. A fun read-aloud that reminds children to "mind their manners." The story is presented in a light hearted way and will have children laughing as you read it to them. I would suggest this book for PreK-2 grade.
  • There's a Wolf at the Door
  • The End
  • My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World
  • Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library
  • Lottie Paris and the Best Place
  • Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes
  • Library Lil
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • Old Black Fly
  • The Red Lemon
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Waiting for the Biblioburro
  • Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name
  • The Library Dragon
  • Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party
  • Library Lily
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop ...more
More about Judy Sierra...