Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf

Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  61 reviews
BIG BAD WOLF, now old and residing in the Villain Villa Senior Center, is invited to a tea by a children's librarian. His best friend, a toothsome crocodile, warns him that he will have to mind his manners. B. B. Wolf makes up a song: "Sip your tea and never slurp, say 'excuse me' if you burp. Smile and have a lot of fun, but don't go biting anyone." He remembers to say "p...more
Published August 14th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
32nd out of 103 books — 111 voters
Radio Rescue by Lynne BaraschThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinThank You, Sarah by Laurie Halse AndersonThank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia PolaccoThe End by David LaRochelle
Picture Books for Older Readers
44th out of 48 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
B.B. Wolf brushes up on his etiquette because is invited to the library for tea. The other storybook characters who come for tea are apprehensive because B.B. Wolf has a reputation for being big and bad. However, everyone is pleasantly surprised at his good manners. It was a nice story, with a clever little rhyme at the end that children can memorize, but it lacked something. Don't know what. I wasn't crazy about the illustrations--maybe that's it. I'll try it out at story time and see what the...more
Joan
Janine Abraham
This books gives a cute spin on the tale of the Big Bad Wolf, or B.B. Wolf for short. B.B. Wolf is invited to a tea party with other storybook characters but he doesn't know the right manners. His friend crocodile helps him practice his manners. The other storybook characters are very impressed and realize that B.B. Wolf is not the same wolf from the other stories. This would be a great book to introduce young preschoolers or kindergarteners to manners and politeness. The author even makes up a...more
The Big Bad Wolf is now old and living in the Villain Villa Senior Center, is invited to a tea party by a children's librarian. His best friend, a crocodile, warns him that he will have to mind his manners. B. B. Wolf makes up a song: "Sip your tea and never slurp, say 'excuse me' if you burp. Smile and have a lot of fun, but don't go biting anyone." He remembers to say "please" and "thank you," but when his stomach starts to gurgle, he gets a little mixed-up about what to do when you burp. This...more
Lavonnia
The book, Mind Your Manners, is a picture book that would be intended for (P) Primary, ages 5 through 8 years old, grades kindergarten through 3rd grade.

This book is about B.B. Wolf who has been invited to attend a tea party at the library. However, he is very concerned about his manners and how he should behave at the tea party. Read the book to find out if the help of a friend and a library book put him on the right track with his manners.

I would give this book a 4 star rating. The illustratio...more
Lyndy Stein
This was a fun story with a little bit of repetition that children love. Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf is perfect for second or third grade readers and is filled with lots of great illustrations. Not only is it entertaining, but it teaches children to think twice before judging someone based on their reputation. I really enjoyed reading this book and think it can be used in the classroom for several fun activities.
Veronica
Apr 28, 2013 Veronica added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

This will be going on my manners booklist. It follows the story of Big Bad Wolf, and his being invited to tea at the public library. Before he goes, he convenes with his other "bad guy" friends to discuss what it will entail, going to tea. They teach him to make sure he sips, not slurps, says excuse me, and talks with people in order to have fun.

It was a well done exercise in teaching...more
B.B. Wolf is invited to a library tea. His friend the crocodile gives him a few etiquette tips to help him do his best at the tea. B.B. Wolf, despite a few little blips, manages to do his best at the library and promises the librarian that he'll return to tell his side of the story.

Cute! It's a nice story to use to talk about etiquette and how school rules are also media center rules. I wish that the plot flowed a bit more smoothly and that the characters were a bit more developed. Kids will ge...more
Kaethe
I've been a Sierra fan since receiving her penguin book as a Christmas present in 98. And for whatever reason, abbreviating "Big Bad" to B.B. is hilarious to me.
Rebecca Plaza
Has a good rhyme about excuse me and burping. try it as a read aloud.
Lbrown107
The big bad wolf has retired! Now he is working on his manners so that he may join the tea party at the local library.
This book is so much fun to read and children will love the twist to the big bad wolf they thought they knew! The illustrations are wonderful and will keep kids busy as there are so many different things going on on each page!
This is a read for pure pleasure, but it also allows you to have a discussion on manners and explain the term etiquette.
Kelly
Okay, so I am a librarian, but I love this book! The Big Bad Wolf gets invited to a storytime tea at the local library. Of course he is just going for the free cookies, but he does try to brush up on his manners before he goes. I love the modernization of the classic fairy tale characters. I could spend hours looking at the illustrations. The details are hysterical. Each time you read this you will see something new. Wonderfully done!
Amy
B.B. Wolf is invited to the library for tea. His friend alligator helps him learn proper etiquette on how to behave at the tea. Wolf does in fact behave appropriately (not biting anyone, saying please/thank you)and impresses the librarian as well as a "girl in a red cape," the Gingerbread Boy and the Three Little Pigs! Great to read along with other fairy tales!
Can I just say that I have not read a Judy Sierra book yet that I didn't love. This is a great and hilarious tale of B.B. Wolf going to a tea party at the library. He learns about etiquette because he wants to be polite, and make quite an impression. I loooooooove this story! So funny, and great art work too, along with references to popular fairy tales that kids will know.
Katherine
I really loved this book! It incorporates a lot of well known fairy tales involving the "big bad wolf" such as "The Three Little Pigs", and "Little Red Riding Hood." This is great for text to text connections. The book also has rhyming throughout which could be great for lessons. This story can also remind students to be polite and use your manners.
B
Jan 05, 2010 B rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
L got this for Christmas and loves it - he sings along with the wolf's manners song when we read.
and of course love the Siebold illustrations (he has Olive the reindeer too) ...I think he'll appreciate it even more when we read more of the backstory fairy tales (Red Riding Hood, 3 Little Pigs) - been a while since we'd read those.
Katy Houseman
If you need a book about manners this is the book for you. It is a great book to use if you are planning on having a manners discussion with your class. It is also a good book to give an example of how to remember information. Explain to your students that making up a song like B.B. Wolf is a fun and great way to remember things.
Kaye
B.B. (Big Bad?) Wolf gets invited to the library for a special tea time. He rehearses his manners, and deals with an extremely nice librarian (of course). He even runs to look up "etiquette" using library resources so that he will remember what to say if he burps. This has funny side jokes for older readers and bold graphics.
J-Lynn
This would be a fun book to read with The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. It tells the story of the infamous Wolf and his trip to the library where he learns to be polite.

The pictures are interesting cartoons in bright colors. Older readers will find the subtle details and fairy tale references in each illustration amusing.
Jack Cheng
This is a goofy tale of the Big Bad Wolf trying to fit in long enough to have afternoon tea at the library (he heard there would be cookies). The art is bright and clear and charming and the goofy songs he makes up to remember his manners inspired my children to chant (and write potty talk parodies of it).
Megan
B.B. Wolf is invited to a tea at the library. He goes (because he heard they also serve cookies) but is nervous about making a good impression. He studies up on his etiquette and manages to behave himself. The illustrations are busy, but full of humor if you take the time to examine them.
Bethany
A fun alternative folk/fairy tale; would be a great addition to fairy tale or fractured fairy tale programs. Funny digital illustrations provide opportunity for dialog during read-aloud. Retired, B.B. Wolf is invited to the library for tea and he wants to be sure to be on his best behavior.
Annie
Apr 26, 2013 Annie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool-second grade
This is a hilarious story of he Big Bad Wolf who is invited to tea. A fun read-aloud that reminds children to "mind their manners." The story is presented in a light hearted way and will have children laughing as you read it to them. I would suggest this book for PreK-2 grade.
Cute book about manners. The illustrations are interesting and I like the idea of tying all the big bad wolf stories together. My 4 year old liked it as well. She has just discovered recently that the big bad wolf might be the same bad guy in a lot of stories.
Amy Adams
J. Otto Seibold is one of my top five illustrators of all time! There are so many things to look at! He always adds little touches that might go unnoticed if you flip through too fast. The story is hilarious! I think kids of all ages will love this one!
Dolly
Apr 06, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, library
A fun book to read aloud with your younger children. It reinforces good manners in a friendly, repetitive way without being too preachy. And the illustrations include characters from many fairy tales, and our girls liked to point them all out.
Jenna McRae
This book was very good. The wolf is invited to the party, which just happens to be at the library. All the characters from the fairy tales are there also. It has a really good story to it. Never judge someone till you know them.
Amy Brown
Sep 30, 2007 Amy Brown rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humor
Shelves: k-3rdgrade
When B.B. Wolf, who now lives in the Villain Villa Retirement Residence, is invited to the library for a storybook tea, he is careful to follow the advice of his crocodile friend and impresses everyone with how polite he can be. LOC
Paula
Amber
This is a really funny picturebook that tells the story of when the 'Big Bad Wolf' wanted to go to tea at the library. I laughed out loud looking at the Gingerbread Man's expression as the wolf sits down at the table.
  • There's a Wolf at the Door
  • The End
  • Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library
  • Lola at the Library
  • How to Be a Cat
  • Library Lil
  • The Cheese
  • Levi Strauss Gets a Bright Idea: A Fairly Fabricated Story of a Pair of Pants
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • The Red Lemon
  • The Library Dragon
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Brave Squish Rabbit
  • The Gingerbread Cowboy
  • My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop...more
More about Judy Sierra...
Wild About Books ZooZical The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town Born to Read The Secret Science Project That Almost Ate the School (Paula Wiseman Books)