Start by marking “Olive, My Love” as Want to Read:
Olive, My Love

Olive, My Love

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The beloved--but confused--pup Olive is back! But this time she's not heading off to the North Pole to help Santa. . . . This time she's out to return a one-of-a-kind lost object: a heart. And not just any heart, but a heart as large as Olive's own.

In her search to find its one, true owner, she makes the acquaintance of a cast of characters who show her what it truly means
Published October 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Olive, My Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olive, My Love

Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch by Eileen SpinelliOlive, My Love by Vivian WalshThe Day It Rained Hearts by Felicia BondI Love You So Much by Carl NoracFreckles and Willie, a Valentine's Day Story by Margery Cuyler
Valentine's Day for Young Children
2nd out of 131 books — 21 voters
Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly ClearyThe Princess Diaries by Meg CabotPinkalicious by Victoria KannRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareGregor and the Code of Claw by Suzanne Collins
Pink covers!
57th out of 92 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
Feb 13, 2016 Melki rated it really liked it
As with Olive, the Other Reindeer, the illustrations really make this book.

description

Bonus points for the adorable spider named Weaver who's willing to share his box of Kinda Tasty Fly Wings.
Dolly
Feb 07, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, valentine, 2011
This is a sweet, but bizarre Valentine story. Our girls love the character Olive from the story Olive, the Other Reindeer, so this book was sure to be a hit with them. And with lots of reds and pinks and hearts, it's appropriate to read at this time of year. I liked the Christmas tale much better, but the story is a cute one to read aloud with children.
Guadalupe Ramirez
Mar 07, 2011 Guadalupe Ramirez rated it it was amazing
This book is very fun to read because it has a lot of fun dialogue. It is also very imaginitive because one of the characters of the book is a dog with wings that sings. I would read this book for Valentines Day to spark a class discussion on friendship.
Betsy
Feb 09, 2011 Betsy rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this read aloud for any time of year, but especially for Valentine's Day. It's so cute and clever with fun word play. Besides... who can resist a book that allows you to sing a Led Zeppelin song at the top of your lungs with your kids?!?!
Kimberly
Jun 07, 2016 Kimberly rated it liked it
This was a fun and enjoyable Valentines Day story. Olive is a fun character who went out of her way to help a friend, only to find out that the friend hadn't needed any help, but was happy she did. A fun little adventure with Olive.
Lauren
I LOVE Walsh's illustrations and her Olive, The Other Reindeer, book is one of favorite Xmas books but this story was too disjointed for me to enjoy.
Tanya
Aug 19, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
This is a slightly odd picture book. For the pictures, I would give it 5 stars; the artwork is colorful and engaging for the kids and parents alike. The plot itself is cute as well, a winged dog giving his "heart" to our heroine Olive. The text though is convoluted, wordy and confusing to the toddler/young child set that the book appears to be geared towards. They miss most of the plays on words, and there is just too much text for the basic story. What is there is kind of dull as well. So I wou ...more
Skylar Burris
Jan 07, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it it was ok
Well, Epiphany was over and we had to take down the Christmas decorations, so now my daughter has moved on to Valentine's Day in her never-ending obsession with holidays. Thus begins the Valentine's Day book litany. This one was just okay. If anyone has some good Valentine’s book recommendations, let me know. So far, I have been underwhelmed by my random library selections.
Tiffany
May 05, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was ok
I bought this because my boys really like "Olive, The Other Reindeer." This is cute, the illustrations are kind of fun, the story is ok, but not as well-written as the first. Still, my kids liked it and it was a good addition to our holiday collection. (I did get it cheap through a Scholastic Books school order. I wouldn't buy it for more than a few dollars.)
Alison
Mar 05, 2011 Alison rated it it was amazing
Olive is a cartoon caracter that many students can relate to since they have probably seen this cartoon. This would be a fun Valentines Day story to read to a kindergradern student. The book has a good story plot with a problem and solution that relate to Valentines day. Along with the story plot are very colorful illustrations that a child would enjoy.
Jennie Park
Feb 14, 2011 Jennie Park added it
Shelves: fiction
This is a perfect book to read on Valentine's Day to the students. It has many rhyming words and a story that is appealing to everyone. It's a great example to show the students about word-play and have them write either poems, creative stories, or even letters (maybe even love letters/Valentine's cards for parents)
Richard
Oct 11, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: who like dogs and Valentines day
Recommended to Richard by: no one I just read it
A dog with wings drops a giant heart in front of Olive's house. Olive thinks he drop it by mistake beacause he was singing "olive my my love" and Olive thought he was singing "all of my love" so he went to return the heart to her friend. They ended up eating the chocolates inside the heart.
Amy Carr
Feb 06, 2010 Amy Carr rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
This is a bizarre little book. We Olive, the Other Reindeer but I don't think I'm going to be able to embrace Olive, the scatter-brained Valentine dog. My kids are mildly amused...if you read the squirrel's voice really high-pitched and fast, you'll get a laugh!
Crystal Marcos
Apr 10, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it it was ok
My daughter and I did not care to much for this one. The story line was drawn out and I found myself not wanting to continue reading. The illustrations however were better than the story. So we looked at those instead.
Kailee
Oct 16, 2008 Kailee rated it it was amazing
Well I LOVE THIS BOOK SOOO MUCH IT IS VERY good it is about this dog who's name is olive and this dog just comes out of the sky and gives olive a huge heart..................to be continued
Stacey
Jan 31, 2013 Stacey rated it it was ok
The illustrations are fantastic. The story is odd. My daughter loves this one and even requested to check it out a second time from the library.
Izzy
Dec 31, 2013 Izzy rated it really liked it
Awww
Jan 27, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Very clever and amusing, charming illustrations, humor may overshoot intended age; story a little uneven. Otherwise would have been a five star.
Emilie
Dec 15, 2012 Emilie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
Sadly, none of the magic of "Olive, the other reindeer". This seems like a slapped together sequel.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Dec 10, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, holiday
Olive is a bit like Amelia Bedelia - okay not really but that is what I think of. Cute story.
Katharine Grubb
Jan 27, 2009 Katharine Grubb rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Some puns and such, and fun illustrations, but I just wasn't too into it. Get it from the library.
Cheryl
A very gentle story with simple, clean illustrations. The ending was sweet.
Amy Anderson
I just read this to my niece. It's cute, but not my favorite Olive book.
Abby
Aug 05, 2009 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
maisy says, "i like the heart in that book. i just made a heart."
D'Anne
Apr 03, 2009 D'Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
The illustrations are adorable, but the writing is kind of weak.
Karen
Sep 11, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Just ok--I was unsure of the point of the story.
Margaret
Feb 05, 2010 Margaret rated it did not like it
My kids didn't even like this one, blech!
Brook Miller
Feb 24, 2008 Brook Miller rated it really liked it
Gave this to my daughter for Valentines Day.
Karen
Feb 19, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok
Cute, but the first one was much better.
BookCupid
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Skunkdog
  • Ruby In Her Own Time
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Rose!
  • The Turn-Around, Upside-Down Alphabet Book