Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)

Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants #2)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Asking for the truth can be as painful as telling it. . . .

Anselm Andros has clearly defined roles in his family and they are roles he plays very well—he is confidante to his mother, Maria. He is the confessor to his stepfather, Leo, a man haunted by the secrets of his past. And Anselm is also the patient, caring brother to his precocious sister, Jasmine. When the politica...more
Published September 22nd 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Voices in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices in the Dark

Nikki

Voices in the Dark is a bit of a hard one to review. There isn't really a traditional plot, per se, but it's still engaging enough to entertain.

Our main character, Anselm, has no end goal. He's a writer traveling in a carriage and telling an old man the story leading up to that point. However, this story goes nowhere. There isn't a driving force behind his actions, just things happening to him a lot. In my opinion, this is the only downfall of the novel. The writing is of good quality. The char...more
Madeline
Also posted on
Razan F.
I thought maybe the second book would be better than the first. I was wrong. I just can't finish it.
It's not even about the story, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, I mean the story (even from the first book) is interesting. It's the writing style and lack of character development that didn't suck me into the world Catherine Banner created.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Anselm Adams is a confidant to his mother, a confessor to his stepfather, a caring brother to his sister. Things in his life seemed fairly normal with magic, until he discovers that his past and parentage aren't exactly what they seem.

With the Imperialist Order and their thugs taking over the capital city and their order targeting anyone who has magical abilities, Anselm is forced to flee his home.

Soon, he is going to have to make a choice: his life or his...more
Vickey Foggin
Melonia is in chaos as the weak King Cassius II tries to hold back invasion and revolution. Anselm was a baby in the first book and is the main character in this one. All the characters are trying to discover secrets that were exposed in the first book--which makes things kind of boring. This is written much better than the previous one at least! I think the most interesting part of this book was seeing how much effect an editor has!!
Eve
I actually enjoyed this one much more then the first one! The pacing seemed to pick up, the plot is more flushed out and not so distracting and it is less character driven then the first book. Told through Anselm's perspective and set to a backdrop of political instability, this book kept my attention from beginning to end. This was a huge improvement over the first in the series and I can't wait to see what book #3 has in store!
Ellen Voets
I really loved reading this book. There was a little more tension than in the first one. What I really love about these books is that there is not a lot of action, but still it captures your attention. You just need to know how it will end
Morgan
Apr 20, 2010 Morgan marked it as paused-hope-to-finish-some-day
correction, im trying to read it, but i cant seem to make it through. dont get me wrong its a good book but from some reason i made it half way through and sort of forgot about it :(
Khadija
awesome book ...... , full of emotions ........ great writing style ..........
Julia G
Julia G marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Amy Dowell
Amy Dowell marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Zaïuka Derolex
Zaïuka Derolex marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Kimberley Jade
Kimberley Jade marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Sarah Norris
Sarah Norris is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Khorum Ahmed
Khorum Ahmed marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Amanda Barendregt
Amanda Barendregt marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Sahar
Sahar marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk, #2)
  • Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Alis
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Freaks and Revelations
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • A Golden Web
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Chasing the Bear (A Young Spenser Novel)
  • The King's Rose
Catherine Banner was born and grew up in Cambridge, United Kingdom. At age fourteen, she began writing The Eyes of a King, which was published in 2008. Voices in the Dark, her second book, was published in 2009. Her third book, The Heart at War, will be published in 2014 and she is currently working on her fourth novel.

As well as writing, she studied English and Secondary Education at Fitzwilliam...more
More about Catherine Banner...
The Eyes of a King (The Last Descendants, #1) The Heart at War