Start by marking “Saturday Morning Fever: Growing up with Cartoon Culture” as Want to Read:
Saturday Morning Fever: Growing up with Cartoon Culture

Saturday Morning Fever: Growing up with Cartoon Culture

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Hey Hey Hey, You're Gonna Have A Good Time!

It's predawn Saturday morning. You and your brother are the first ones up, gathering pillows and blankets and the TV warms up to the weekly Farm Report. Then, just as the sugar cereal kicks in, you begin your descent into the happy-spazzy TV world of Space Ghost, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Hong Kong Phooey, The Herculoids, and
Published December 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Saturday Morning Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturday Morning Fever

M. Chandler
As an animation junkie who grew up during the prime years of 'Saturday morning cartoons', I've been meaning to read this book for years. I finally found a copy, and I've discovered that this isn't the book I should have been looking for.

The brothers who wrote this book wrote a highly personalized and opinionated screed about Saturday morning cartoons, mostly from the seventies. It was interesting and nostalgic reading, and I agree with many of their stances on child-oriented programming, but all
Kevin
Jan 07, 2008 Kevin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Saturday morning cartoon fans
This book takes a little too long getting to the meat of the matter...the particular cartoons themselves. Before you get to read about the origins of Scooby Doo, Fred Flintstone, and Superfriends, there are several chapters of filler talking about the general history of Sat. morning toons. This might be good, but the author's attempts at humor are dry in a bad way, and it feels like walking up hill waiting to hear about particular shows. If you see it at the library, don't read it from start to ...more
Stephen
I'm a huge cartoon nerd, so I figured this book would be pure indulgence. For much of the book, it's a well researched history with lots of obscure references here and there, which was informative and at times entertaining. It took a while to get to the cartoons themselves, but I appreciated the background on the void that was pre-cartoon Saturday mornings.

After an indulgence of cartoons from the mid-to-late 60s and early 70s, the author just seems less interested in the sheer volume and variet
Bill
A book about Saturday morning television and the culture surrounding should be right up my alley, but I was disappointed. The authors couldn't decide if they wanted to sound hip or academic, so they attempt a style that tries to be both, but is actually neither. Some decent info inside, though, so that bumps it up to 2 star territory, but there's a better book waiting to be written on this subject.
John
Some parts ok, others not that great.
Stewart Tame
Fun book! Among other things, it's a nice stroll down memory lane as I was a big fan of Saturday morning cartoons growing up. Some of the information is a bit dated--the book was published back in 1999--but their thesis is sound. If anything, the lack of societal collapse since the kids who grew up watching cartoons during the '70s and'80s came of age drives home their point even more with each passing year. Despite the concerns of parental groups at the time, the kids turned out just fine.
Freddie Miller
Checked the book out of my local library. It wasn't exactly what I expected. The book takes way too long to get to the meat and bones of the subject matter, the cartoons themselves and it feels too politically preachy in several places. It was like attending a concert by a nostalgia act and having to stand through long lectures on political issues after each and every song. Hey man, I'm just here for the toons.
Ed
What a blast from the (not so distant) past...remembering mornings spent in front of the TV. Low production values, incredibly unrealistic plots, the same handful of episodes in constant rotation...such things don't matter to kids.
Kyle
Interesting stories to a point, but there was quite a few factual errors.
Diana180
Diana180 marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Dann
Dann marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Sheryl
Sheryl added it
May 17, 2014
Bud Latanville
Bud Latanville marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Chris
Chris added it
Nov 16, 2013
Rahul Kumar
Rahul Kumar marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Mike Templeton
Mike Templeton marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Amy
Amy added it
Jul 04, 2013
Dr. Detroit
Dr. Detroit marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Timothy Burke is a professor in History.
More about Timothy Burke...
Lifebuoy Men, Lux Women: Commodification, Consumption, and Cleanliness in Modern Zimbabwe Cocoa Puppy Mantie'os Dead Girlfriend The Paradiso Files: Exposing an Unknown Serial Killer The Star of the Sahara: A Caramel Camel Mystery