Start by marking “The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-In-Law” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-In-Law

The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-In-Law

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  333 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author of The Red Hat Club.
Bestselling author Haywood Smith and her pals have lots of personal experience in the joys, sorrows, pitfalls and flat-out hysteria of Mother-in-Lawness. Now Smith A very Southern mother-in-law's humorous advice to mothers-in-law everywhere. From the multiple offers a handy and fun booklet of pithy advice to mothers-in
Published April 15th 2009 by Bell Bridge Books

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-In-Law

Julie (jjmachshev)
Apr 25, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
Now here's a valuable book that imparts a message, yet does so in a VERY humorous manner without preaching! "The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-in-Law" by Haywood Smith will have snickering, snorting, laughing, and (if you're married) suffering from a severe case of deja vu.

This is a perfect book to give as a gift...to just about any woman who has, will have, or has had a MIL (mother-in-law). I'm pretty sure that covers about 99% of women.

Haywood Smith provides twelve 'traditio
Ivonne Rovira
A slim volume with reasonably good advice on being a "magnificent MIL (mother-in-law)," the term used throughout the book. Most of the advice is pretty commonsense; however, there were a few gems in there, and a reminder of the importance of tolerance, holding one's tongue, and good humor is never amiss.
Judy
May 22, 2011 Judy rated it liked it
Okay, I'm a new mother-in-law and I don't want to stress the relationship with my son-in-law within the first six months. So when this book came up as a "special buy" on Kindle, I bought it. Haywood Smith has developed a 12-step program for Mother's-in-Law. Much of the advice was delivered in a humorous way and Smith encourages mother's-in-law to be supportive, gentle, caring, selfless, etc., etc., etc. A very fun read, but I can't see myself drinking this particular Kool-Aid. I am who I am and ...more
Pam
May 23, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it
Lately I've had several friends mention how hard it is to have good relationships with their daughters-in-law. Having two married children myself I thought this was a WONDERFUL and fun book to read. It's quite a "fast read" and had some very good points.
Heather
Jun 01, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
This was a free download for my Kindle, which was the only reason I "purchased" and read it. Super short (in reading time it took me only thirty minutes cover to cover), this book is a quick "how not to alienate yourself from your adult married children and their spouses". Smith readily admits this book was written by both women who possessed Magnificent Mothers-In-Law as well as by those who were severely lacking in that department, and she also explains that just as there are many horrific sto ...more
Joann
Sep 04, 2014 Joann rated it liked it
I thought this was a move., but it was actually an advice book. There was some pretty obvious advice, but a few things that were thought provoking. All in all, it was a quick read, and worth the time.
Debbi
Jun 14, 2010 Debbi rated it liked it
I got this as a free download on my Kindle. I read it knowing that two people who are very dear to me are new MIL's. The book was full of common sense and I don't think there were any surprises. It did make me think of my own MIL and how well she fit the "magnificent" label. (And I know that she didn't have a handbook!) I was hoping that this book would have a little "lighter" feel -- I had expected MORE self-deprecating humor. Regardless, it was an extremely QUICK read (it is only about 100 pag ...more
Alisa
Oct 29, 2013 Alisa rated it it was amazing
This book was brilliant. Full of smart advice for mothers-in-law the world over who want to have good relationships with their children and daughters-/sons-in-law. If every mother-in-law followed these tips, we might achieve world peace. Or at least there wouldn't be any more mother-in-law jokes. Every word makes sense, and the book manages a light, humorous tone, and never falls into preachiness. I plan to keep this one around a long time, like until I become a mother-in-law. Every mother-in-la ...more
Hergalee
Dec 21, 2011 Hergalee rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindlefreebie
I cannot recall downloading this kindle freebie, but since it was already there I decided to read it. This book was a short read and it didn't interest me at all. If you're a Mother-in-Law (MIL) you would probably enjoy "The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-in-Law. The book basically provides advise on the do's and do not's when one becomes a MIL. They were common sense advises that can help MILs that are having difficulties adjusting to the new role.
Denyse
Apr 30, 2010 Denyse rated it really liked it
A very funny and insightful book for all mother-in-laws, or anyone else for that matter. Full of common sense advice repair or maintain good relationships between you and your adult children (married or not).

A huge helping of Southern-style sweetness makes this book fun and easy to read. The author has a keen sense of humor and uses it to make her point.

Very fun!
Marie
Sep 15, 2010 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This quick little read is a reminder of the importance of the "in-law" relationships, as well as the one with your child. It is very humorous and fun, but nothing but truthful, which can be a little painful at times when being made aware of past mistakes. The quotes from Grandma Bess are worth the price of admission!
Jacqui
Apr 12, 2011 Jacqui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, gave-up-on
Free Kindle book. It was a humorous book with sage advice on how not to be an annoying mother-in-law. I stopped reading it only because I'm not married and I'm not a mother-in-law and there were other things I wanted to read. If you are married or if you are a mother-in-law I would recommend this book. :-)
Amy
Aug 06, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, kindle
I really enjoyed reading this short book. It shed a lot of light into how I want to be as a MIL and why my MIL fails on so many levels. It encouraged me in my belief that I CAN be a good MIL in the future, that the role of "MIL" doesn't have to be negative. The book was funny, at times, too. :)
Kristina
May 14, 2010 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is fantastic and one that every single Mother-In-Law should read over and over again. I wonder if there is a subtle way to get a copy in my own MIL's hands!! ha ha My sister is getting married in the fall and I plan to get a copy as a gift for both MILs.
Sandy
Good solid advice. My own, truly magnificent mother in law, could have written this book - she certainly put into practice all the advice given here. As does my own mother, in her relationships with her sons and daughters in law.
Wanda
Jun 09, 2010 Wanda rated it really liked it
This book was a quick read. It used humor to confront the challenges of being a mother-in-law. I will be making some changes in how I view and approach my relationships with my daughter-in-laws. I am glad that I read this book.
Mirah W
Oct 01, 2011 Mirah W rated it liked it
Thank goodness for a wonderful mother-in-law. Short and sweet, this book highlights the basic dos and don'ts of being a good mother-in-law, things that should be obvious but seem to somehow get forgotten.
Deb
Jul 31, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
This is a common sense approach to treating your sons and daughters and their mates with respect and dignity. In fact, this advice is applicable to any relationship with family or friends. I like it.
Lisa
Mar 30, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Kind of silly & short, but if you follow the basic rules you can't go wrong. As a fairly new MIL I plan on following the 12 rules. My own magnificent MIL tended to break them all, ha ha!!
Mary Kay Thompson
Dec 26, 2009 Mary Kay Thompson rated it really liked it
This is full of wonderful advice - though now I'm not sure I want to be a MIL - it sounds really hard! :-)

My MIL is fabulous ~ my mom not so much. So I have a good role model.
Melissa
Apr 19, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
Very quick read. It was fun, and for me, more about being kind and not saying the wrong things. It made me want to readThe REd Hat Club which is written by the same people.
Vickie
Apr 18, 2010 Vickie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vickie by: bakpkr@comcast.net
This was a really quick read that was funny and had good ideas. I think I agree with just about every piece of advice. I just need to learn how to always keep my mouth shut.
Gail
Jan 27, 2012 Gail rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
A freebie on my kindle/ipad that I don't remember downloading! Written by a southern woman it's a bit funny with some good tips but nothing was earth shattering new.
Jeri
Jun 15, 2010 Jeri rated it liked it
I'm not a MIL yet, of course, but I found the book very insightful. It gives sound advice for good relations with adult children and their mates.
Stacie
Apr 04, 2010 Stacie added it
Easy read with advice on ways to be a better mother in law and ways to stay out of your children's business once they are grown and married.
Kiki Marriott
Free for Kindle. An easy read. Buy this book is to give your friends, not for your mom-in-law!!(The advice is solid, though!)
Carol Ann
Apr 16, 2010 Carol Ann rated it liked it
There are some good thoughts in this little book. As soon as I am in a position to be a mother-in-law I will just try to be nice
Season Keiffer
Jun 01, 2011 Season Keiffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fiction
funny, light ~ hearted read. It did have some great points in it, I hope I remember them if I am ever a Mother in Law.
Erin
Sep 26, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I stumbled upon this and am loving it. My kids keep telling me to shush when I laugh out loud. It's touching too.
Nat
Jun 25, 2011 Nat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, humour
OK - so I'm not anyone's mother-in-law but I do have one - and I think there are some valuable life lessons for us all.
  • There Is an Urgency
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Remote Control
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • A Stingray Bit My Nipple!: True Stories from Real Travelers
  • Total Flirt: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques Every Girl Needs to Get the Guy
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • Twas the Night
  • Learn Me Good
  • The Little Known
  • Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home
  • Daring Chloe (Getaway Girls, #1)
  • Shrouded in Silence
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Scent (Sensations, #1)

“Nobody gets any brownie points for loving people who are easy to love. Difficult people are God's sandpaper. They'll rub those rough edges off you and let you prove your faith.” 0 likes