Start by marking “Horizons (Horizons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Horizons (Horizons, #1)

Horizons (Horizons #1)

Twenty-three-year-old Clark Stevens, a popular wide receiver with a potential NFL contract, has a few problems. He's got a jealous girlfriend, a narrow-minded and controlling father, an attention problem, and an unexpected and powerful attraction to the trauma doctor-the male trauma doctor-who treats him for a broken bone. Dr. Jody Williams is getting some really mixed sig ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Horizons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horizons

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

DNF at 36%

I'm going to be kind and not rate this book, mostly because it's an ARC, and I'm feeling charitable today.

Warning: bitchy Heather ranting ahead. Read with caution.

I legit HATED this one. I hated the writing style, I hated the unbelievable story (I mean, what ER doctor tutors a random patient in literature in his spare time???), and I hated the whiny characters.

But most of all, I hated the narration by John Solo. I'm done trying books by him because of the simple fact that I just can'
Jul 19, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt-fiction
Horizons has got plenty of 5 star ratings so I thought I’d best check it out. While the story begins well and there is some great smex, it was the crying that put me off. I know it’s good to be in touch with your emotions, but harden the fuck up! Maybe I am just a grumpy cow. O-o In saying that, I’d so go back and read the grubby bits cause they were rather good!
Kassa
Dec 30, 2009 Kassa rated it did not like it
In this melodramatic and over the top sports romance, angst and tears are as much a part of the men’s relationship as the rampant hot sex. From the polarizing personalities to the incredulous happy ending, this story unfortunately fails to deliver an interesting or well-crafted story or romance. Characterization ran from clichés to immense emotional angst without proper context or meaning leaving the amateurish prose better suited to fan fiction. This type of story might appeal to those who enjo ...more
Karen
Sep 06, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mm
Horizons is probably one of the oldest books on my TBR list and to be honest had I known what was in story for me it would still be there ageing like fine wine...or vinegar.

Disappointed doesn't really cover it on this one. There were tears...Clark cried, copious amounts. Jody cried, not as much as Clark but it was close...did I mention Clark cried? A lot! Clark's mother cried (bit of a psycho bitch this one), his brothers cried on at least one occassion each, Nikki cried a lot...it's a rough lif
Gwendolyn
The lack of research about college football just killed it for me. There is no real "MVP" of the year in college football. Of the game and of the week, sure. Offensive players can win the Heisman, and the best overall Defensive player get the Bednarik. There are awards for the best linebacker (the Butkus Award) the best running back (the Jim Thorpe Award) and so on; but MVP no. Also anyone taken high enough in the draft for that kind of signing bonus has a full scholarship. Books, an apartment o ...more
Cindi
Mar 08, 2015 Cindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, sports, series, on-blog, 2015
3.5 stars, rounded up.

Full review can be found at -

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png

I did something with this series I never do - I read #4 (Chyna Doll) before I read the stories before it. I'm now going back to where it all began.

Horizons tells the story of Clark (a closeted football player) and Jody (a doctor who treats him after an injury). Jody is out and proud where Clark's NFL future might be in jeopardy if people find out he's gay. The sparks fly immediately between the two men and before long they are in the middle of
Don Bradshaw
Reviewed on Hearts On Fire... http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

I passed over this book twice because the reviews and ratings were all over the place. A good friend finally recommended it to me strongly and I finally dove into this sweet, feel good love story. Jody is a serious trauma doctor with a penchant for falling for hard luck cases. Clark is a deeply closeted college football star who arrives at the hospital with a broken arm. There is more than the usual doctor/patient relationship betwee
Samantha
Sep 15, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Christine
Meh.

I wanted to like this, I really did, but in the end it just sits in the middle and is completely forgettable to me.

Horizons is about Jody, a doctor, and Clark, a popular college football player with dreams of the NFL. While Jody is out and proud, even has a license plate saying so, Clark is so far in the closet he wouldn't know what way is up. Unfortunately, Clark also has a homophobic family with means to destroy Jody, and a friend with benefits who doesn't want to let go of the benefits.

So
Em
Whilst this got off to a slow start, the pace soon picked up and there are a fair few steamy sex scenes. It has a good lot of angst, which I love, with a HEA. Only one small thing, as someone else mentioned, I'm not sure that Clark's father and mother would have changed their opinions so completely at the end, but there you go.

Moving straight on to 'Taste' to hear what Lil has got up to!
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Aug 15, 2009 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, m-m
Love love loved this book. Just the right combination of searing romance, hot hot sex and addictive melodrama. Well written, well developed, extremely satisfying. It was maybe a little over the top at times, but that's okay. It was entertaining, and the love between these characters exploded off the page. Look forward to reading more from this author.
Maggie Simms
Sep 07, 2013 Maggie Simms rated it really liked it
Shelves: angst, gay
3.5

Angst gallore with a few eye-rolling moments but all in all, an entertaining read.
Tina
Jan 31, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since Mickie B. Ashling first published Horizons four yeas ago, a lot has changed for the LGBT community in our country. While Horizons was in final edits this time around, changes were happening so fast it was hard to keep up with them. I didn’t read Horizons when it was originally released, so it was a new book for me.

Aside from some timing issues with football seasons, which I know were a pain for Mickie the first time around, I found Horizons to be an enjoyable way to spend a hot day indoors
Amarilli Settantatre
da www.sognipensieriparole.com

4,5 - Questo libro esce solo ora per scelta della casa editrice, ma sarebbe in realtà il primo della serie. Fin da quando ho letto "La degustazione" e "Papi" accarezzavo il desiderio di conoscere anche la storia del vichingo biondo e del suo bel dottorino. Da vari indizi sapevo che i due nel primo libro avevano già fatto scintille, e infatti questa lettura tanto attesa non mi ha delusa.
Anzi. Direi che questo è forse il libro più riuscito della serie. Certo, Grieg e
ReginLaRadiosa
Dec 06, 2015 ReginLaRadiosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“La realtà è che la maggior parte di noi cercano solo amore, come tutti gli altri. Vogliamo qualcuno da cui tornare a casa, che ci ascolti quando andiamo fuori di testa, da stringere durante la notte. Non siamo diversi dal resto del mondo.

La maggior parte degli etero pensa che, perché siamo gay, tutto quello a cui pensiamo è il sesso. So che ci sono uomini gay fatti così, come ci sono uomini etero che passano da una donna all’altra, ma la maggior parte di noi non è diversa da voi. Vogliamo tutti
Jane (PS)
Oct 28, 2012 Jane (PS) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane (PS) by: Shaz
Shelves: mm
I always enjoy sports stories. The interesting difference with this one is that the gay-phobic focus was on the family acceptance with virtually no reference to the possible team reaction. And the ADD was a great addition to the trauma that this disorder can cause for any young person, especially when it is purposefully ignored.
Jess Candela
May 28, 2012 Jess Candela rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, dnf, read-in-2011
I had heard there was a lot of crying in this book, but didn't take it seriously as a problem; I've enjoyed other books in which the characters cried a lot. But in this one they kept crying for no apparent reason. It was like both main characters were PMSing hardcore, and I finally just couldn't take anymore. I stopped somewhere in chapter 11 (heh).
Chris
Jan 11, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2009, gay, done, reread, 2011, ebook
Very good m/m romance about a deeply closeted college football player with a homophobic family who finds himself falling (despite himself) for the very out ER doctor who cares for his broken arm. That bizarre cover does such a disservice to this book!
Monika
Aug 16, 2013 Monika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review posted on World of Diversity Fiction Reviews

3.75 Stars

I really liked this book! Horizons is an angsty story with a sweet romance. While there is nothing new about the story it captured me from the start. It has plenty of drama, some of it a bit over the top. Clark is a college athlete and gay, he has a family that would never understand his being gay and on top of that he is being looked at by NFL scouts, a league notorious for not being gay friendly, that’s two strikes against his coming
Elin
We have college football player Clark Stevens, with the prospects of a career in the NFL. But Clark is gay, although very far in the closet, and he's suffering from ADD, and his controlling and somewhat abusive father has never let him get on meds for that.
Then there is ER Doctor Jody Williams, he's gay, out and proud. And when they meet when Clark is brought into the ER there's instant connection/attraction.
(view spoiler)
jules0623
Four and a half stars, really. It would have been five but for two little things.

I really enjoyed this story. The cover art nearly put me off - I didn't realise how much I rely on it to get me to click on a book - but the blurb was interesting and I started reading it as soon as I bought it (rather than start one of the other several hundred books I have waiting on my Kindle).

The first few pages are odd in pacing and a whole lot of 'tell' instead of 'show' which almost put me off. I think takin
Eric Renoult
Dec 22, 2014 Eric Renoult rated it really liked it
3,5

Alors voici enfin le premier tome de la série perspective, il paraissait bien alléchant.

D’une part nous avons Jody qui est un homme qui a accepté son homosexualité et d’autre part Clark qui résiste à son désir. Clark est le personnage qui affronte le plus d’épreuves car il doit faire son coming out dans une famille peu tolérante et en plus il s’agit d’un sportif renommé. Bref rien qui ne faciliterait son coming out et une vie éventuelle avec Jody. Clark par certains côtés m’est apparu comme u
Anita Bianchi
Dec 01, 2015 Anita Bianchi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Non ho ancora letto "La Degustazione" ma ne ho sentito parlare talmente bene che non ho potuto non leggere il primo romanzo di questa serie. La storia è allo stesso tempo semplice e complicata: semplice come l'innamorarsi di due persone, complicata poichè i due sono due ragazzi e ci sono in ballo molte cose oltre ai sentimenti.
Tra Clark e Jody basta uno sguardo per accendere una forte attrazione ma Clark è una stella nascente del football, con una famiglia
karlakolumna
I am shocked that I, once upon a time, deemed this to be a four-star-read?! After re-reading this yesterday I totally have to change my rating here -- although I usually stick with a rating once given.

So, this was pretty much one of the first M/M Romance books I ever laid eyes on, and I liked it, back then. (Lack of comparable books and age, I totally blame it on those^^)

So yeah, I liked it then. Not so much, anymore. Too whiny main characters, literally. It's like these characters start crying
FloJ
Apr 21, 2009 FloJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-fiction
This story hits all the right buttons. Everyone is good looking, there is a handsome doctor (Jody) with a tragic previous relationship, a hunky footballer (Clarke) with homophobic parents and brother, but also other supportive brothers, a bimbo girlfriend=f... buddy while he is in denial.
Jody and Clarke meet in ER when Clarke is injured in a game. (Luckily we do not need to know the rules of football to enjoy this book.) Sparks fly but are ignored - more or less - they meet again in ER - and con
Ali
Nov 20, 2013 Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, kobo, own
This one just wasn't for me...maybe it was the writing style. I'm a sucker for a good OFY/GFY story, but from the very beginning, it just didn't do it for me...(though I finished, because I've definitely read a whole lot worse). Overall, I think there was too much dialogue. I kept being told what was happening, never really felt the characters. Both seemed a bit juvenile at times, which really didn't work since one was supposed to be a doctor. I think my favorite character was Lil, and consideri ...more
Rachael Orman
Oct 23, 2015 Rachael Orman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-story, m-m, audiobook

**AUDIOBOOK REVIEW**

This was such a conflicting story. I want to say it was beautiful, but there were some seriously hard times that made me want to cry because of the hatred displayed by secondary characters.

Watching the relationship blossom between the two main characters from Doctor/Patient to Tutor/Student to lovers was really fun and sweet.

I didn't particularly care that for the fact that Jody wasn't a little more careful about protecting his heart and the fact that he accidentally hurt C
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Sep 27, 2012 Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I've already read Taste & Daddio so I figured it was about time I went back and seen how Clark & Jody actually became a couple.

This was a pretty great book. I enjoyed the sexual tension that was pulsing between these guys , after they made a move..things were sooo hott! We had the story of these two and their relationship but then we had the story of Clark and his family & career (I wanted to punch just about everyone right in the face). I could have lived without all the tears...but
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jul 27, 2013 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
The over-the-top way that Clark proves his love for Jody above all else is creative and surprising. Eventually, there is even a small degree of healing with Clark’s family. There is a spinoff of this book, Taste, about Jody’s best friend Lil. Jody wouldn’t have survived loving and losing and loving Clark without Lil’s support and friendship. I look forward to reading his story!

You can read the rest of Tina's review at The Novel Approach
Azilys
Wahou! Je sis vraiment accro aux MM en milieu sportif. C'est sadique mais j'adore et celui ne deroge pas à la règle. Un jeune athlète qui a jusqu'alors toujours résisté à ses pulsions rencontre le grand amour de sa vie en la personne d'un médecin déjà out et fier de l'être.
A ses côtés il decouvre tout et fait ses premiers choix qui definiront sa vie et son avenir.
la progression de cet histoire et de Clark, le jeune athlète est tout simplement à couper le souffle.
roman assez sexy en plus, ben ou
Mercedes
Dec 12, 2013 Mercedes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance

I picked this book to read because I wanted to read a story set in San Francisco. but I must admit that I do not care to read stories about closeted jocks. Here I didn't understand why Jody was willing to go back in the closet for Clark.
Also there's a showing of an evil female character which I generally don't enjoy but said character redeem herself in the end so I am willing to give it a pass.
Overall, not a bad story but the finish requires a suspension of disbelief that kind of spoils
Dreamspinner Press: Horizons by Mickie B. Ashling 1 7 Jul 11, 2013 12:26AM
  • Steamroller
  • Power Play
  • Out in the Field
  • Offside (Offside, #1)
  • Aquamarine
  • Caught Running
  • Wrestling with Love (Wrestling #2)
  • Bad Case of Loving You
  • Healer (The Institute #1)
  • High Line (Love of Sports, #2)
  • By Degrees (By Degrees, #1)
  • Six Ways from Sunday (Southern Scrimmage #1)
  • Home Ice
  • Match Maker
  • Puppy Love (Puppy Love, #1)
  • And Call Me in the Morning (And Call Me in the Morning #1)
  • Given the Circumstances
  • Dar and Gregg (Jock Dorm #1)
Mickie B. Ashling is the pseudonym of a multifaceted woman who is a product of her upbringing in multiple cultures, having lived in Japan, the Philippines, Spain, and the Middle East. Fluent in three languages, she’s a citizen of the world and an interesting mixture of East and West. A little bit of this and a lot of that have brought a unique touch to her literary voice she could never learn from ...more
More about Mickie B. Ashling...

Horizons (4 books)
  • Taste (Horizons, #2)
  • Daddio (Horizons, #3)
  • Chyna Doll (Horizons, #4)