Start by marking “A Party in Ramadan” as Want to Read:
A Party in Ramadan

A Party in Ramadan

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A charming story of a young Muslim girl determined to do the right thing. In this Parents' Choice Award book, Ramadan is coming and Leena is excited. This will be the first year she will fast. Leena is too young to fast each day during the Muslim religious festival, so she decides to fast each Friday instead. Now Leena has a dilemma. She receives an invitation to a party w ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about A Party in Ramadan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Party in Ramadan

Lisa Vegan
Sep 04, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: learning about Ramadan; kids who have or have friends who have different traditions
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I think that this is the first book I’ve read where Ramadan has a central role, and it’s certainly the first such children’s picture book I’ve read. I’m lucky because it’s a wonderful book.

I’m so glad it ended as it did because all the way through the book, as I was reading, I was thinking of that occurrence as the perfect solution, although I would have added in the beverage too.

This is a terrific book for children, both for those kids who know nothing about Ramadan and those kids who observe i
Ala Abdallah
This story is about a girl, Leena, who decides to fast the first day in Ramadan that also happens to land on the day of her friend's birthday party. She doesn't seem to notice at first that she is fasting until they bring out the cake. She is tired from playing out in the sun all day and sits in another room while the rest of her friends enjoy chocolate cake and cold lemonade. She ends up falling asleep on her friend's couch and the next thing she knows she's at home with a meal cooking on the s ...more
Victoria
Apr 17, 2012 Victoria added it
Shelves: text-set
This book is about a young Muslim girl, Leena, who plans to fast during the month of Ramadan. She is invited to a friend's birthday party that happens to fall on the first day of Ramadan. Leena decides to go to her friend Julia's party and not eat or drink anything. However, Leena becomes frustrated while at the party, questioning to herself why this had to be so hard for her. Readers are exposed to many different traditions of Muslim culture, such as Ramadan, the hijab Leena wore, and the Maghr ...more
Betsy
In this fictional narrative, Leena, who is about to fast for Ramadan for the very first time, is invited to a friend's birthday party. She chooses to go anyway and just not eat anything. She learns it is hard to fast when everyone else is eating. In the end though, fasting has made her more grateful for the things she gets at the end of the day.

As a teacher I would use this book to teach descriptive language (ex. "Leena put a spoonful of pudding into her mouth and savored its thick chocolate fla
Kristen
A Party in Ramadan tells the story about a Muslim girl named Leena. Leena has a dilemma between a fast religious festival and attending a party with all her friends where none are Muslim and area able to enjoy the food festivities. Leena struggles with her desire to enjoy the food and to continue fasting until the iftar feast later in the evening. Self control is explored with struggles of desire through out the story.
Shannon
This book really seemed to resonate with my 6 year, and help her understand fasting a lot better.
Cara Stone
Leena is excited to observe Ramadan traditions...but she also wants to celebrate her friend’s birthday. Though fasting all day is difficult, Leena shows self control as her friends have cake and drink lemonade. At the end of the day she returns home for iftar, the meal to break the day’s fast, and thinks about the importance of fasting and how it is done to please God. Pastel pencil drawings complement the story's tone very well. Expressive characters' faces. Recommended.
A Party in Ramadan tells the story of a young Muslim girl named Leena. As the day of her friend’s birthday party approaches, she realizes that she will be fasting for Ramadan. Leena learns many powerful lessons as she does her best to enjoy the party while abstaining from cake, lemonade, and even water.
Nadia
I could relate to this book really well in remembering the days at school when we had a party and I was fasting! The story highlights well the struggles and satisfaction in keeping a fast in the Muslim tradition.
Aubrey
Cute story with wonderful illustrations about a girl participating in Ramadan with her family. Positive themes of cultural diversity and celebration.
Mckinley
Shows a difficult side of fasting through the eyes of a young girl.
Alli
Alli marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Shelli
Shelli marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Jennifer Siddiqui
Jennifer Siddiqui marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Hinna
Hinna marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Takla
Takla marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Angelina Constantine
Angelina Constantine marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Chandmin
Chandmin marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Jinny
Jinny marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Sep 22, 2013
Mudam
Mudam marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Jonna
Jonna marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013