Start by marking “A Party in Ramadan” as Want to Read:
A Party in Ramadan

A Party in Ramadan

Readers learn about the Islamic observance of Ramadan in this charming story of a young Muslim girl determined to do the right thing during her first Ramadan fast.

Ramadan is coming and Leena is excited. Although she is too young to fast every day during the Muslim religious festival, Leena decides to fast each Friday instead. When Leena receives an invitation to a party wh
Published April 1st 2009 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about A Party in Ramadan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Party in Ramadan

Lisa Vegan
Sep 01, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: learning about Ramadan; kids who have or have friends who have different traditions
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I think that this is the first book I’ve read where Ramadan has a central role, and it’s certainly the first such children’s picture book I’ve read. I’m lucky because it’s a wonderful book.

I’m so glad it ended as it did because all the way through the book, as I was reading, I was thinking of that occurrence as the perfect solution, although I would have added in the beverage too.

This is a terrific book for children, both for those kids who know nothing about Ramadan and those kids who observe i
Elizabeth
I liked that this story was about Ramadan without just being an explanation of what Ramadan is -- the protagonist, Leena, is a Muslim girl in the USA who is young enough to be practice-fasting and gets invited to a non-Muslim friend's birthday party for the day she would be fasting, and the story goes through her and her mother's decision-making process around how to handle that, her experience of the party itself, and the iftar (breaking the fast) that followed.

The story was engaging and realis
Jenny Sparrow
Jan 07, 2017 Jenny Sparrow rated it really liked it
My daughter and I both enjoyed this story about a young girl, Leena, being torn between fasting during Ramadan and attending a non-Muslim friend's birthday party. While her mother did allow her to attend the party, it was clearly a difficult sacrifice to not be able to fully participate. As a mother, I especially loved the end of the story where after Leena's fast was broken and she had her dinner, her friend that had the birthday party came over with her mother and brought birthday cake to shar ...more
Elizabeth
This is another great addition for any library collection. The story takes place in what could be any Los Angeles suburb or really anywhere USA. Leena is a typical American girl, she is excited to go to a birthday party where there will be a real pony to ride and she likes chocolate cake and lemonade. But when the invitation arrives she discovers that the party will take place on the first day of Ramadan, the day she is supposed to fast for the first time. No problem, Leena assures her mother, s ...more
Ala Abdallah
Apr 15, 2012 Ala Abdallah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
This story is about a girl, Leena, who decides to fast the first day in Ramadan that also happens to land on the day of her friend's birthday party. She doesn't seem to notice at first that she is fasting until they bring out the cake. She is tired from playing out in the sun all day and sits in another room while the rest of her friends enjoy chocolate cake and cold lemonade. She ends up falling asleep on her friend's couch and the next thing she knows she's at home with a meal cooking on the s ...more
Victoria
Apr 17, 2012 Victoria added it
Shelves: text-set
This book is about a young Muslim girl, Leena, who plans to fast during the month of Ramadan. She is invited to a friend's birthday party that happens to fall on the first day of Ramadan. Leena decides to go to her friend Julia's party and not eat or drink anything. However, Leena becomes frustrated while at the party, questioning to herself why this had to be so hard for her. Readers are exposed to many different traditions of Muslim culture, such as Ramadan, the hijab Leena wore, and the Maghr ...more
Betsy
Sep 28, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
In this fictional narrative, Leena, who is about to fast for Ramadan for the very first time, is invited to a friend's birthday party. She chooses to go anyway and just not eat anything. She learns it is hard to fast when everyone else is eating. In the end though, fasting has made her more grateful for the things she gets at the end of the day.

As a teacher I would use this book to teach descriptive language (ex. "Leena put a spoonful of pudding into her mouth and savored its thick chocolate fla
Janet Luch
Jun 24, 2016 Janet Luch rated it really liked it
Although Leena is too young to fast during Ramadan, she is eager to fast on day when her aunt will be visiting. Unfortunately, this day is also the day of one of her friend's birthday party. Leena is successful in fasting, although it is difficult. Her friends learn a little about why Muslim's fast and two of her non-Muslim friends and their families come to her home in the evening to celebrate the iftar dinner after sundown.
The Author's Note at the end of the book explains why Muslims celebrat
Cara Stone
Leena is excited to observe Ramadan traditions...but she also wants to celebrate her friend’s birthday. Though fasting all day is difficult, Leena shows self control as her friends have cake and drink lemonade. At the end of the day she returns home for iftar, the meal to break the day’s fast, and thinks about the importance of fasting and how it is done to please God. Pastel pencil drawings complement the story's tone very well. Expressive characters' faces. Recommended.
Kristen
Feb 14, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing
A Party in Ramadan tells the story about a Muslim girl named Leena. Leena has a dilemma between a fast religious festival and attending a party with all her friends where none are Muslim and area able to enjoy the food festivities. Leena struggles with her desire to enjoy the food and to continue fasting until the iftar feast later in the evening. Self control is explored with struggles of desire through out the story.
Maritza Mejia
Jun 07, 2016 Maritza Mejia rated it it was amazing
A Party in Ramadan (2009) by Asma Mobin-Uddin and lovely illustration by Laura Jacobsen. I have seen this dilemma in classroom yearly and I'm impress of the determination Muslim children have to fast during the holy days of Ramadan. In the story, Leena faces a dilemma: she has promised to fast for the first Friday of Ramadan but she has received an invitation to a classmate's birthday party. What do you think she is going to do?
A Party in Ramadan tells the story of a young Muslim girl named Leena. As the day of her friend’s birthday party approaches, she realizes that she will be fasting for Ramadan. Leena learns many powerful lessons as she does her best to enjoy the party while abstaining from cake, lemonade, and even water.
Nadia
Dec 25, 2009 Nadia rated it really liked it
I could relate to this book really well in remembering the days at school when we had a party and I was fasting! The story highlights well the struggles and satisfaction in keeping a fast in the Muslim tradition.
Aubrey
May 05, 2013 Aubrey rated it really liked it
Cute story with wonderful illustrations about a girl participating in Ramadan with her family. Positive themes of cultural diversity and celebration.
Joe Eyres
Joe Eyres rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Lupine
Lupine rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2009
Shannon
Sep 18, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
This book really seemed to resonate with my 6 year, and help her understand fasting a lot better.
Allie
Allie rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Anurasika
Anurasika rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2009
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Saarah
Saarah rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011
MrsMitchell
MrsMitchell rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Diane Griswell
Diane Griswell rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
laurie
laurie rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2013
Mckinley
Dec 18, 2012 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, islam, heroine
Shows a difficult side of fasting through the eyes of a young girl.
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2010
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2010
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012