Start by marking “Gaudi Afternoon (Cassandra Reilly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gaudi Afternoon (Cassandra Reilly, #1)

Gaudi Afternoon (Cassandra Reilly #1)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Ben Stevens has vanished without a trace. His wife thinks he’s hiding out in Barcelona, and she asks Cassandra Reilly for help. On the trail of the elusive Ben, Cassandra is soon chasing people of all persuasions and motives in a madcap caper. This high-spirited comic thriller will soon be a major motion picture starring Judy Davis and Marcia Gay Harden.
Published August 21st 2001 by Seal Press (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Gaudi Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaudi Afternoon

Madeline
Thus far, I have enjoyed or at least appreciated all the books I've been assigned to read for my detective novel class this semester. Or at least, I did - and then Cassandra Reilly and her associated foolery stomped into my life.

In hindsight, I suppose the description on the back of the book should have tipped me off. First it informed me that this book has won "a British Crime Writers' Association Award for Best Mystery Set in Europe and a Lambda Literary Award for Best Lesbian Mystery." Best
Annette Gisby
Cassandra Reilly is a Spanish translator, working on an epic South American novel when she gets a call from her friend, Lucy, whose other friend Frankie is in a bit of a pickle.

Frankie's ex-husband Ben has absconded to Barcelona and Frankie needs to see him to sign some urgent paperwork, but she doesn't speak a word of Spanish. Cassandra is reluctant at first, but the money Frankie offers is too good to be true and it would be no hardship for Cassandra to finish the translation of the book in Sp
Barbara
I had been meaning to read this forever, but finally got it as a used copy from the library.

It's pretty good. Not perfect. It's lightish and the travelling bits in Barcelona are very nice to read. And Cassandra's fun and it's humorous.

Has a few things to say about gender and motherhood. But it's not overwhelmingly so.

So, I've found a new author and I want to rush right out and go through her Cassandra books. But I only think there are three of them. Bummer.
Wayne Spiceland
kind of a shame, really. After all, Wilson writes really, really well. Unfortunately, the repetitiveness of the plot and the shallowness of almost all the characters undermines her narrative skills. As events repeat again and again, I began to feel as if I were reading a Tom Stoppard play. Cassandra is the only character I had an sympathy for at all. That this novel won a Lambda boggles my mind.
Penny
I chose this because it is set in Barcelona and references Antonio Gaudi's architecture which I happened to be studying. About half way through I realized that I was officially reading "lesbian literature"... not my normal genre. Regardless, it was decently written and actually pretty interesting. What would you do if your father became another mother and then left your mother for another woman?
Gill
I like Barbara Wilson's writing and her translator heroine Cassandra Reilly, but this particular book is so full of gender changes, characters who seems to be one thing and turn out to be another, and various twists in the plot that I found it quite hard to keep up. Not her best.
Debrarian
Cassandra Reilly, itinerant translator, goes to Barcelona to help a woman find her husband. Turns out the woman is trans, her husband is her ex-girlfriend, they have a kid, and the novel fast becomes a gender-exploring farcical quasi-mystery. Pretty fun
Mugga
Ahh, is there anything better than lying on the couch on a cold and rainy Sunday and getting whisked away to sunny Spain? This book is a fun riff on the detective fiction. The ending had a few too many reveals but all told this is a great escape.
Susan Mills
Favorite light read, good for reading several times over a period of several years. Light and fun, full of LGBT issues, before such initials came into common use. absorbing story, good suspenseful plot, low on violence.
Jess
I have read this before and liked it, but am reading it again - I'd forgotten how much I like everyone's shifting perceptions of each other's gender identities. I really enjoy the character of Cassandra Reilly.
4cats
Not a great crime read, a translator gets caught up in the case of a missing child. I'm making it sound more interesting than it actually is.
Zodama Bug
does a wonderful job of meshing a good mystery with the romance and culture of Barcelona!
April
Kinda fun mystery in a light afternoon read sort of way.
Sharon Davies
Quick read, set in Barcelona!
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Jun 10, 2015
Sandi Niklas
Sandi Niklas marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Delitealex
Delitealex marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

I’m a writer of memoir, mysteries, fiction, and travel books on Lapland and women and the sea (The Pirate Queen). My travel essays have appeared in Smithsonian, Slate, and American Scholar, as well as many other publications. I’m Irish and Swedish, but a translator of Norwegian and Danish. I’ve written under the names Barbara Wilson (my father’s adoptive name) and Barbara Sjoholm (which means sea
More about Barbara Sjoholm...

Cassandra Reilly (4 books)
  • Trouble in Transylvania (Cassandra Reilly, #2)
  • The Death of a Much-Travelled Woman (Cassandra Reilly, #3)
  • The Case of the Orphaned Bassoonists (Cassandra Reilly, #4)
The Palace of the Snow Queen: Winter Travels in Lapland The Pirate Queen: In Search of Grace O'Malley and Other Legendary Women of the Sea Incognito Street: How Travel Made Me a Writer Murder in the Collective (Pam Nilsen, #1) Trouble in Transylvania (Cassandra Reilly, #2)