Start by marking “Short Novels of the Masters” as Want to Read:
Short Novels of the Masters

Short Novels of the Masters

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  25 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Ten classic short novels appear in this collection by noted editor Neider. The contents include: Benito Cereno by Herman Melville, Notes from Underground by F. M. Dostoyevsky, A Simple Heart by Gustave Flaubert, The Death of Ivan Ilych by L. N. Tolstoy, The Aspern Papers by Henry James, Ward No. 6 by A. P. Chekhov, Death in Venice by Thomas Mann, The Dead by James Joyce (r ...more
Published June 26th 2001 by Cooper Square Press (first published January 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Short Novels of the Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Novels of the Masters

Gloria
Jun 12, 2012 Gloria rated it really liked it
I feel like I'm cheating adding this to my year's book count because I've been picking away at this for, literally, a couple of years. It sits on my shelf, I take it down, digest a story or two, and put it back. Courtesy of a bout of insomnia lately, I was actually able to finish it.

It also seems a trifle unfair to rate it as a whole when the individual stories would vary so differently for me. I would find myself getting bogged down by some (Melville- sorry, Herman) and being carried along effo
Carrie
Dec 05, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Some very good stuff and some stuff I had to claw my way through. This was the book where I realized that Dostoyevsky never fails to make me sleepy. But Flaubert's "A Simple Heart" and James's "The Aspern Papers" were favorites and (mostly) made up for slogging through Melville and Dostoyevsky.
Alyssa
Nov 02, 2012 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Obviously some of the selections are better than others (really, truly, deeply not a fan of the Lawrence,) but overall a fine collection and example of the short novel genre as a whole.
Mark Dickson
May 14, 2010 Mark Dickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partially-read
I found this volume in a library book sale oh-so-many years ago. I was charmed by the dedication, "to Mark." Over the years I have read nearly all the novels contained and each one was epiphanal.
Cindy
Sep 01, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Novellas are perfect right now. Short and sweet, but these delve into deeper thoughts of human nature, life, and of course death. Should be good! Plus, I'll finally read Death In Venice.
James
Jan 29, 2011 James rated it really liked it
An excellent collection that includes such faultless novellas as The Dead, Notes from Underground, and Death in Venice.
Miki
Miki added it
Jul 03, 2016
Daisy
Daisy rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Loglog
Loglog marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Vince Di Meglio
Vince Di Meglio marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jo-Ann
Jo-Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Kristin Vignona
Kristin Vignona marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Absolutamber
Absolutamber marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Wiki Lew
Wiki Lew marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Cateye
Cateye marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Nora
Nora rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
R.K. Cowles
R.K. Cowles rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Travis Wilson
Travis Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Eric Anderson, Jr
Eric Anderson, Jr marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Wesley
Wesley rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
John
John added it
Sep 28, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
G.w.
G.w. added it
Jun 27, 2014
Angelica Hopes
Angelica Hopes rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
"The name of Charles Neider is familiar to everyone in the field of Mark Twain studies. Born in 1915, he did most of his work on Mark Twain between the late 1950s and the mid-1980s.

A man of many parts, Neider would make an interesting study in his own right. He was born in Odessa, Russia, on January 18, 1915 and came to the United States in 1920. After graduating from City College of New York in
More about Charles Neider...