Start by marking “True Fires” as Want to Read:
True Fires

True Fires

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the idyllic town of Lake Esther, Florida, little is allowed to ripple the surface calm—which is just the way Sheriff Kyle Deluth likes it. But when Deluth "removes" two young children from the local school because of the color of their skin, the sheriff's senseless act of cruelty sparks a fire under the women of Lake Esther that will scorch the lives of all involved. In ...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Bantam (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about True Fires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Fires

Judy
I enjoyed her first book and this one wasn't a disapointment either. It was interesting that comparisons were made in this book about Miz Betty being like Isabelle Amberson in the Magnificient Ambersons that I just finished reading.
I liked the authors use of a bee's eye view at the beginning and end and a key points in the book. Minor characters, the the bees were also important to the story itself.
Heather
Surprisingly engaging story about prejudice and a family having to prove themselves in the 1960's South. The author spings the tale from several different points of view and young narrator (Danial Dare) is the most captivating and heart-wrenching of them all. A well-written page turner. Would highly recommend.
Kimberly Robinson

This book really didn't capture my attention too much. I kept waiting for the plot to thicken, or for something to happen to where I couldn't put it down.
Lynnette
Oct 21, 2009 Lynnette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Noelle
"Deeply moving and peopled with a rich cast of characters, Susan Carol McCarthy mines the hotbed of racism with insight and compassion."
I liked this book.
Pat
Pat added it
Apr 01, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Yoko
Yoko marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Chris brown
Chris brown marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Katie Hardiman
Katie Hardiman marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Galey
Galey marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Kris Lodwig
Kris Lodwig marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lay that Trumpet in Our Hands Boomers 101: The Definitive Collection A Place We Knew Well Place We Knew Well, A Place We Knew Well, A