Start by marking “The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)

The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand #6)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  781 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
For more than a year, Sebastian Costas has been trying to unravel the truth behind the murder of his ex-wife and son. Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, he's convinced that her second husband—a cop—committed both murders, then faked his own death. Now Sebastian has followed the slimmest of leads to Sacramento…and that's where he finally gets the break he needs. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published September 29th 2009 by Mira (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Murder

Sheri
Dec 04, 2010 Sheri rated it it was amazing
The Perfect Murder (Brenda Novak)
Romantic/suspense. Jane Burke, once married to a serial killer is trying to put her life back together. She works as an investigator of The Last Stand. She starts her very first "solo" case with the disappearance of two young ladies.

Sebastian Costas lost his ex-wife and son. For the past year he has been on a mission to find her husband Malcolm Turner, a cop who was found dead after this crime. Sebastian is convinced that Malcom not only murdered his ex and son,
Georgiann Hennelly
Jun 04, 2011 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
Sebastian Costas has been trying for more than a year to unravel the truth behind the murder of his exwife and son. He,s convinced that her second husband who was a cop committed the murders than faked his death. Sebastian has followed one of the slimmest leads to Sacramento. He finally gets a break which leads him to Jane Burke an investigator with the last stand she called him in connection to another crime. Jane was once married to a serial killer and has spent the last five years trying to r ...more
Dee Sauter
Jan 25, 2016 Dee Sauter rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, suspense
This is the first book I have ever read by Brenda Novak and I have to say I loved it! It captured my attention from page one and it just kept getting more intense. I also loved that although this is the last of the trilogy it was a stand alone book. Had I had to have read the first books before this one I may not have done that. I would have forgotten the name of the author and what books I needed to read. Now I will make a concentrated effort to look for her other books. In fact if her other b ...more
Marianchu
Mar 10, 2016 Marianchu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Impresionante! Cuando supe que Jane Burke tenía su propio libro no pude dejar de pensar en cómo alguien que ha pasado por todo lo que le ha sucedido a ella, podría mirar al futuro con un mínimo de cordura. Tanto Sebastian como Jane son dos protagonistas carismáticos unidos por una trama perfecta. Un broche de oro para una serie que me ha encantado.
Quiero mencionar la traducción de todas las novelas, felicito a la editorial y a la traductora por un trabajo excelente.
Mi puntuación 9,5.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Dec 15, 2014 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
4 STARS

"For more than a year, Sebastian Costas has been trying to unravel the truth behind the murder of his ex-wife and son. Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, he's convinced that her second husband - a cop - committed both murders, then faked his own death. Now Sebastian has followed the slimmest of leads to Sacramento.and that's where he finally gets the break he needs. Jane Burke, an investigator with The Last Stand, calls him in connection with a separate crime - a crime that co
chanceofbooks
Apr 21, 2011 chanceofbooks rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-read
Brenda Novak is one of the finest Romantic Suspense authors writing today—she writes intense, character driven plots. I’m having a great time working my way through her backlist and found this title on Overdrive for my nook. Perfect Murder is almost more thriller than romance—the hero and heroine don’t meet for about the first 100 pages, and the murder is the central focus of the story. For this reason, this isn’t my favorite Novak title—I like it when the focus is more on the romance, and I lik ...more
Suzanne Barrett
Mar 21, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it really liked it
Sebastian Costas has been working to locate the man who murdered his ex-wife and his son to the detriment of his job and his relationship with a long-time girlfriend. He has followed the man whom police authorities believe dead from New York to California and now he feels he is closing in on the suspect.

Jane Burke's dead husband was both dentist and serial killer and Jane struggles to overcome the trauma of his unspeakable behavior. She is a new hire at The last Stand, a charitable advocacy oper
Pamela
Jul 24, 2011 Pamela rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Sebastion Costas has spent more than a year looking for the man who killed his ex-wife and son. He supposedly then killed himself but Sebastion is positive he's alive.

Jane Burke is trying to locate two missing girls and believes the man Sebastion is looking for is the same man who abducted the girls.

The story itself was quite interesting. What really bugged me was the character of Jane. Here we have a woman who almost died at the hands of her supposedly perfect husband. So after not dating for
Stanjay Daniels
Oct 16, 2015 Stanjay Daniels rated it it was amazing
Nonstop action from beginning to end! 5 stars! Jane and Sebastian are on a hunt for a guy that just has caused so much grief but it isn't an easy hunt. Along the way, other characters started to be inserted into this main storyline and things start getting crazy! Very well written book!
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Jane..

I was not really a fan of Jane in the other book therefore I started this book with a big dislike for the main character, ultimately Jane won me over and this book was excellent as was the rest..
Marcy
Feb 21, 2016 Marcy rated it really liked it
The initial set up of this book was a little too convoluted to be believable, but once I got about 1/4 of the way in I enjoyed the story.
Maria Jose
Jun 12, 2016 Maria Jose rated it really liked it
Como siempre tensión máxima. Romance y thriller te mantienen en tensión durante toda la lectura. Me encanta Brenda Novak en esta faceta y no me canso de leerla
Jillian
Aug 04, 2015 Jillian rated it liked it
Eh. Didn't find the characters all that exciting. Ending was a bit far-fetched for me. Overall writing was smooth and easy to follow but didn't leave me wanting to read more by Novak.
Ricki-leigh Nadon
Sep 24, 2015 Ricki-leigh Nadon rated it liked it
Pretty god book but a little predictable.
Melanie Chabrol-
Sep 29, 2012 Melanie Chabrol- rated it really liked it
It was great, finished it about 3 days ago I was just soooo tired, any how all the workers are busy and they hired someone to do office procedure. It was Jane first case, she is looking for someone who has kidnapped a pair of sisters, she then finds out this guy named Sebastian is also looking for someone and it turns out it is one of the same, since he is in the habit of changing his alliaces, will Jane do well on her first case, what is the perfect murder, I will not tell, but u have to read i ...more
Glenajo
Jane, the wife of a serial killer, is now working for the Last Stand, a victim's charity. In the investigation of another murder, Jane meets Sebastian Costas, who is attempting to track the killer of his ex-wife and son. Sebastian knows the killer he is tracking is in the area, but he doesn't know the name he is using, or exactly where he is located.

Once again Novak keeps you in the story with complex characters, and interesting plot twists. This is not my favorite Novak nook, but it is an inte
Maria
Nov 18, 2010 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Trying a new author but not exactly what I had hoped for. The writing is smooth and flows easily, so it passes the first test. I found the characters a bit hard to get to know, however, and the "case" was somewhat frustrating, although that is probably a good thing, since it was more realistic than most fiction tends to be. On the other hand, it took a long time to read since I could only handle the frustration in small doses. Will probably try another, however, since the writing itself is good.
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
This was my first Brenda Novak and I liked it. Although I'm kicking myself for reading this out of order as it gave away the plot of a book I already have in my TBR. I normally like a little more sex in my romances. But I liked the plot of this. It didn't bother me that I knew who the bad guy was at the beginning of the book. I did think the hero/heroine fell in love a little too quickly considering the traumatic lives they had both had.
Heather
Oct 24, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
This was my least favorite of the three "The Last Stand" books by Novak. I think I was growing weary of the romance. Would really like to see more thriller and adventure in these books as that's what Novak excells at. We also knew who did it from the beginning so there wasn't much mystery involved. I do hope that this author's next book is a stand-along thriller.
Kim Chadwick
Jan 26, 2013 Kim Chadwick rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-thriller
Pretty good read. I'm wavering between a 3.5 to a 4. The storyline kept me reading, but there could have been more character development between the two main characters. This was the first book in the series I read, which could be why it lacked some of the character development I thought was missing. All in all I really enjoyed this book.
Michelle (Undeniably Book Nerdy)
RomCon panel book: This is my first Brenda Novak novel and it was an okay read. Though I didn't feel much spark between the two leads, I thought they were likable. It needed more action as it was a bit slow at times and there wasn't much of a mystery because the villain was revealed in the very beginning. This is a standalone book.
Courtney Voss
Oct 14, 2009 Courtney Voss rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I love anything by Brenda Novak, so its no surprise that I loved this book. It wasn't as strong as the other books in The Last Stand Series, but it was by no means lacking anything.
I really like how the romantic interest between the two main characters starts off fast (a welcome change from the last two books in this series).
Jeanne
Jul 25, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
After his ex-wife and son were killed by her current husband, Sebastian Costas has been searching for this sicko killer. He is on his own as the police believe the case is closed and the killer dead. In his search he stumbles upon The Last Stand and one of their investigators, Jane Burke. Their paths cross and the hunt is on.
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 T.M. Carper rated it liked it
Good addition to the series. Jane (from "Trust Me") reappears five years later to help a grieving father find his son's murderer--who happens to have kidnapped a pair of sisters she's been asked to find. Good suspense plot and decent romance and some cameos from other characters like David Willis, Skye, and Ava.
Sara
Jun 28, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Novak! A good mix of Suspense and Romance. Not her best, but very good! I like her books for 2 reasons.... 1. They are entertaining 2. They are fast reads. :o) If you have never read any Novak....I like her 1st series best...starts with 'Dead Silence'. The Last Stand books are great though!
Danielle
Sep 04, 2010 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
It presented all of the information straight away, so it was relativly boring. Basically it was just the people trying to find the killer. The relationship that evolves between the two main characters is enjoyable. Also i like how much of the previous bombers/killers quirks she added in.
Patt
May 15, 2013 Patt rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Book number 6 in The Last Stand series is as good or better than the first 5. Brenda Novak keeps you guessing and keeps you interesting in her books. The Last Stand, a victim's advocacy group, continues to help innocent people and the side stories involving the employees are excellent.
Cheryl Karkoff
Feb 09, 2010 Cheryl Karkoff rated it liked it
Another Last Stand Book. These do not have to be read in order, can stand alone. Fast read about newest member of the Last Stand group. She is on her first case, trying to find to kidnapped girls. Love, murder and a very disturbed man make this book worth reading.
Jasmiina F
Jan 16, 2015 Jasmiina F rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jos olisin tiennyt tämän olevan harlekiini-kirja niin tuskin olisin napannut tätä lentokentältä mukaan huhtikuussa... Vähän turhan höttöinen tarina missä itse asiassa lukuisat asiat ärsyttivät. Tähän mennessä tämän vuoden huonoin kirja minkä olen lukenut.
Alanna
Jul 12, 2014 Alanna rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series.
  • Dying for You (The Protectors, #30)
  • Last to Die (Sheridan, #2)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • One Wrong Step (The Borderline, #2)
  • Pitch Black
  • Kill Me Again (Secrets of Shadow Falls, #2)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #6)
  • First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4)
  • Desperate Deeds (A-Tac, #3)
  • Last Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #6)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • Dead Even (Dead #3; John Mancini #5)
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

The Last Stand (6 books)
  • Trust Me (The Last Stand, #1)
  • Stop Me (The Last Stand, #2)
  • Watch Me (The Last Stand, #3)
  • The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand, #4)
  • The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)