Start by marking “Breastless in the City: A Young Woman's Story of Love, Loss, and Breast Cancer” as Want to Read:
Breastless in the City: A Young Woman's Story of Love, Loss, and Breast Cancer

Breastless in the City: A Young Woman's Story of Love, Loss, and Breast Cancer

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  6 reviews
When it comes to dating, Carrie Bradshaw has nothing on Cathy Bueti .

At 25, just a few weeks before her second wedding anniversary, Cathy’s high school sweetheart died in a tragic car accident. She wasn’t sure how she would go on living. At the time, she was certain it was her last chance at love.

A few years later, just as Cathy took her first tentative steps into New York

Published May 5th 2009 by Kaplan Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Breastless in the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breastless in the City

What is a single guy doing reading a book about dating and breast cancer? Truth is... I wanted to see how someone else picked themself up after going through so much. The author no doubt was faced with many challenges with the passing of her soulmate, a breast cancer diagnosis, searching for a new soulmate while her self esteem was bruised through treatment, and the complicated relationships with her loved ones. She paints a very real picture of the issues a young adult survivor must deal with.
A very good friend gave me this book in the hopes that I would be of comfort during my own struggle with breast cancer. While I thought the book did offer some comfort and inspiration (in that there will eventually be an end to all this, even if it doesn't always seem that way), I thought the writing was a little simplistic and I didn't much care for the overall tone of the book. Eh, just okay.
I read this because our local library was hosting a talk by the author. It was a very fast read, written rather simply. The author, widowed at 26 and then diagnosed with breast cancer, tells us what it was like to date while undergoing treatment and surgery with little support from her estranged parents.
Great story, but I found that the author's writing style left something to be desired. I would have liked to see more polish in her storytelling. Nevertheless, she's led a fascinating life that no 30-something should have to lead.
I wanted to sympathize with Cathy a lot more than I did. I think I got really frustrated in having her try to find her worth in the variety of losers she met in the online dating world.
Emily Easter
A very quick and easy read, despite the heavy subject matter.
Caitlin Weber
Caitlin Weber marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Tristan Darcy
Tristan Darcy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Freda marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Janet marked it as to-read
May 05, 2012
Sila added it
Jan 07, 2012
Brenda Ann
Brenda Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2011
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2010
Christine US
Christine US marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2010
Dawn Michelle
Dawn Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2010
Elise marked it as to-read
May 06, 2009
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 05, 2009