Start by marking “Knowing Scripture” as Want to Read:
Knowing Scripture

Knowing Scripture

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  878 ratings  ·  58 reviews
The Bible is the written Word of God, and it is treasured by many. But it is also an ancient book about people and cultures very different than us. Thus, while we know we should read it, many of us have a hard time understanding the Bible.In this updated edition of Knowing Scripture, R. C. Sproul helps us dig out the meaning of Scripture for ourselves. The author says, "Th ...more
Published February 25th 2009 by IVP Books (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Knowing Scripture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knowing Scripture

Ki
The book comes with good warnings about how we might be abusing our gift of reading (and thus interpreting) our Bible, and gives some practical guidelines to help minimize our distortion. It gives good examples through-out, right from the Bible, to illustrate his points. When you read it (especially as a beginner) you begin to sense of the complex nature of the Bible, and how the more you know about it, the clearer and more meaningful it becomes.

I don't know enough to classify where the author
Jeanie
RC Sproul has a passion for the word of God and I will always enjoy reading his book with the expectation of having a hunger for the word of God. The importance of the word in my daily life and the application to the word. I like that we are always learning truth and we may stray from what God is revealing to us, however, God is faithful to lead to the truth. Being our sinful nature, we can intrepret the word to fit the culture. Marriage is the hot topic of such intrepretation however, even Jesu ...more
Linore
Despite only giving it four stars, I think this book is important and should be read by anyone seeking to understand the Bible. Sproul gives priceless guidelines to reading which could preclude a great deal of doctrinal confusion for many readers. My reservation is due to the brevity of the treatment of some things such as his take on various bible translations. He mentions that some are "liberal" for instance, without a clue as to what the term means to him. Does he mean liberal in the way they ...more
Tim
This book is a solid reference for learning how to think through the presuppositions and philosophical reasoning behind why Christians should learn to study their bibles. These first few sections is where R.C. shines. The last section about practical tools for bible study is also very well written and updated.

In the sections getting at hermeneutics and practical rules for interpretation, Sproul provides many examples and illustrations of fallacies from historical interpretations of certain texts
Kip Johnston
Good book on hermaneutics and interpreting scripture. Also has some nice bible study tips at the end.
Annette
Summary:
From the back cover of the book, "The theme of this book is not how to read the Bible but how to study the Bible."
The later part of the quote is probably the most ignored.
Christians who do read the Bible are not aware of how to really study the Bible.
R. C. Sproul takes both points and teaches the how and why of reading and studying the Bible.

My Thoughts:
Knowing Scripture is written for a new Christian or for a person who is not a solid reader and student of Scripture.
Consider this a prim
Bart Breen
Excellent Introduction to Biblical Literature and Hermeneutics

I actually listened to the audio version of this book on CD. RC Sproul is a very easy to listen to speaker and he has a gift of making difficult concepts seem easy.

Contrary to a few reviews here, Sproul is not advocating an elitist approach to Scripture where only the "pro" dare to wrestle with Scriptural interpretation and understanding. Quite the opposite. Sproul is seeking to put the tools into the hands of his listeners.

Over and o
Rob
Directed toward laypeople, Sproul's introduction to biblical interpretation is very readable and practical and suggests strategies and resources to further one's study of the Bible. He gives a few examples of doctrinal disputes that arise when biblical interpretation is done not so carefully and cautions the careful student of the Bible to note what it actually says. He recognizes the value of commentaries, Bible dictionaries, foreign and original biblical languages, and atlases of Bible lands; ...more
Katelyn Brown
I think that this is a fantastic tool for Christians who are new or young in the faith. It gives just the right amount of information but will not overwhelm. I enjoyed reading it as a refresher and it renewed my passion to learn even more.
Dino Mantinaos
Very intelligent introduction to how the Bible should be studied. This book, along with the class I am taking which is based on it, has been very convicting for me. I realize the importance of an in depth understanding of the Scriptures.
Joe
This fine introductory book is a great read for anyone who wants to know how to make the most of God's Word. Sproul's fair handling of the principles of exegesis speak to His reverence of God and the integrity of his handling of Scripture.
Amanda Hunsberger
Theological as well as practical. Great book for understanding & getting more out of Scripture -- and a reference for where to find some of that info.
Charles
wow! wait did i say...WOW! the cover should read super concentrated sheer awesomeness. this thin book isn't shallow. this is going on my small stack of books to read over and over. the stack includes the bible(duh), the pursuit of godliness/practice of holiness, daws, the lost art of disciple making, spiritual disciplines of christian living, desiring god, and the legacy of sovereign joy, and the gospel primer oh and slave. ok, so the stack isn't that small and its getting bigger all the time bu ...more
Douglas Hitzel
I found this book very helpful as an introduction to Biblical hermeneutics.
Cole
Very encouraging guide to digging into scripture. I read it back to front, but I think it will continue to be useful as a reference guide in my own personal studies. I hope I have the courage and patience to study with the same intensity as he suggests. It's something I've always hoped for but never have been able to sustain. Hopefully Sproul's urging will help me be persistant.
Shannon
Sproul gives a great introduction to understanding God's Word. He deals with common reasons or excuses that keep people from reading and studying as they should. Understanding the Bible as written literature, in its cultural context, in its timeless interpretation to believers today, and through translations or original language word studies are all issues he addresses. I really wish he'd gone a bit further and will probably be looking into some of the suggested resources that he lists.
Eric Riddle
This was a great primer for understanding better how to study the Bible. It was required reading for my introduction to hermeneutics class. It really helped me understand how to study the scriptures way more in depth than I knew I could. You have this incredible marriage of literature and the working of the Holy Spirit while reading the Bible. I went most of my life not realizing the importance of understanding better the former.
Vaclav
another one. good one. introductory like the book by Pink on the subject! RC is very helpful!
Melanie
This is a great book for people who want tips on how to study the Bible but haven't yet. An easy read that explains some of the history of Bible translations. I especially found the suggested reading plan for people who haven't made it through the Bible yet to be extremely helpful and plan on starting that right away.
Gabriel
Trying to decide whether to recommend this book or "How to Read the Bible for all it's worth" as a intro to this extremely important subject.

Update: good book to start with if you want the basics for studying the bible. I recommend it highly.
Daniel White

Anyone who claims Christ as their Savior should know the things this book teaches. It lays out the basics of how to study and understand scripture so that people don't fall into the trap of subjectivism, like so many people already do.
Michael
Sep 22, 2009 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in studying the Bible more effectively
Good overview of why knowing and reading Scripture is important, although it can be a little lengthy in its theology and lacking in its practicality. It wasn't until about the 3rd or 4th chapter that I really started to get into it.
Colin
This is an absolutely essential read for anyone who is serious about studying the Bible. Accessible enough for the layman, yet sufficiently weighty to satisfy those with a little more knowledge. This is simply a must have book.
Sean Crowe
Good little book on Hermeneutics, but very basic. Would definitely work as an introductory book for someone who has not given much thought to the subject or for a new Christian who is just beginning their study of God's Word.
Mike
This is a good book in understanding how to read and understand Scripture in proper context (exegesis). This is a must for anyone who reads the Bible regularly and wants a deeper understanding of what it is they're reading.
Tim Sheppard
I was given this book to read by my little bro. It waas a nice, easy intro to Bible doctrine. I appreciated the respect given to God's Word by the author. He does a good job communicating the importance of personal Bible study.
Marc
RC Sproul gives a fantastic overview of the Bible and how to study it most effectively; a worthwhile read for anyone interested in better understanding of God's word.
Mic
A great book for anyone wanting to dig deeper into studying the word. I recommend this to any bible student as well as the seasoned pastor. Great Insight!
Jimmy
Good book. Nothing new or profound for me, but it provided a good reminder to me of why Christians read Scripture. A bit pedantic at times.
Linda Hooper
I believe this to be one of those new convert MUST reads, since it covers the essential doctrines of the Christian Faith.
Why study the bible? 8 40 Oct 22, 2012 09:40PM
Reformed Readers: Knowing Scripture 6 21 Oct 30, 2008 05:59AM
  • How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Holy Bible: Reformation Study Bible (ESV)
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th ...more
More about R.C. Sproul...
The Holiness of God Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children What Is Reformed Theology?: Understanding the Basics Essential Truths of the Christian Faith The Truth of the Cross

“The issue of faith is not so much whether we believe in God, but whether we believe the God we believe in. (p.35)” 29 likes
“If we are going to deal with the discipline of Bible study, we must recognize at the outset that we will need the grace of God to persevere.” 1 likes