Start by marking “Fatal Quest (Chief Inspector Woodend, #20)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Quest (Chief Inspector Woodend, #20)

Fatal Quest (Chief Inspector Woodend #20)

A Charlie Woodend Mystery his first . . . - DS Charlie Woodend has a murder to solve. Trouble is, nobody seems to want him to solve it not Eddie, a Liverpudlian thug sent to threaten him; not DCI Bentley; not Deputy Commissioner Naylor, whose word is law in Scotland Yard; not even the dead girl's mother herself. But Woodend cares. He will find the murderer, he promises him ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Severn House Publishers (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Quest

Marilyn Shea
Jul 30, 2016 Marilyn Shea rated it really liked it
I read a digital copy of the book, the first time I've ever done that. I suppose I'll get used to reading books this way but I still prefer hardcover books to have and to hold.
It was the last of the Chief Inspector Woodend novels but was set up as a prequel, an account of Woodend's first major case and the reason he was promoted to Chief Inspector, told to his successor, Monika Paniatowski, who has her own series. He told this story to her as they are parting ways, he heading off to his retireme
Greg
Sep 09, 2013 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, british
DS Charlie Woodend is retiring and while waiting for the train to take him away he tells his partner Monika Paniatowski all about the case that made him a Chief Inspector. Nobody cared about the murder of a "coloured" girl whose body was found near an old war bomb site after WW II. Nobody but Charlie, at least. As the investigation continued, no one at the New Scotland Yard seemed interested in the case. As Woodend stubbornly continues the investigation, he is threatened by both gangsters and hi ...more
Jovdb
Oct 09, 2015 Jovdb rated it liked it
Interesting to learn the history of CI Woodend's promotion.

The brutal murder of a teenaged girl is barely investigated. Woodend's boss is not interested in the death of a "darkie". Racism and crooked coppers all over the place in this story set in the 50's.

Despite being blocked from investigating, Charlie uses his own time and resources to uncover the truth. It is a shocking discovery, one that the higher echelons of the police force want to keep hidden. Rough justice is dispensed and, to keep
Lucy Takeda
Jul 20, 2016 Lucy Takeda rated it liked it
I really like Charlie, the main character, and I adore his wife! I tend to be a determined individual
( a.k.a. stubborn) that frequently does career challenging things in order to do what is right, and so does Charlie. The novel covers quite a bit about class distinctions, and who is REALLY in charge. It is set in London, fairly soon after WWII ends. It rates three rather than four, because I had pretty much figured out the who done it and why about halfway through.
Grey853
Mar 02, 2010 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, british
On his retirement, Wooden recounts his first case. The narrative is littered with racist slurs which I found offensive. I tried reading it in context of the time period and to consider that the protagonist was also offended by the terms. Add that the plot was rather predictable and slow going, and it made for just an okay read. I doubt I'll look for other titles in the series.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Jul 04, 2016 Caroline Ingvaldsen rated it really liked it
Charlie Woodend's first case, is actually the last one the author has written about him. An appealing procedural set in the grim streets of post-Blitz London, it's a highly satisfying prequel to the series.
Jan 05, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
This book was OK. The constant italicized words were extremely annoying so after awhile I couldn't even focus on what the book was about
Corinne Newell
FATAL QUEST

A good mystery but very hard to read because of the dialogue. Well written and a page turner except for the use of the Cockney language.
Barbaraa
Barbaraa rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2009
John Brady
John Brady rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2014
Janice Thompson
Janice Thompson rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2017
Kajehas
Kajehas rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Edana Cichanowicz
Edana Cichanowicz rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Jody
Jody rated it liked it
May 23, 2013
Libby
Libby rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
sally williams
sally williams rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2017
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Samita Sarkar
Samita Sarkar rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
James
James rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2010
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Barb W
Barb W rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2014
Roy Macgregor
Roy Macgregor rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
scherzo♫
scherzo♫ rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2013
Marcia Schmit
Marcia Schmit rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
A pseudonym used by Alan Rustage.
Sally Spencer is a pen name, first adopted when the author (actually called Alan Rustage) was writing sagas and it was almost obligatory that a woman's name appeared on the cover (other authors like Emma Blair and Mary Jane Staples are also men).

Before becoming a full-time writer, he was a teacher. In 1978-79 he was working in Iran and witnessed the fall of the Sha
More about Sally Spencer...

Chief Inspector Woodend (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • Murder at Swann's Lake (Chief Inspector Woodend, #2)
  • Death of a Cave Dweller (Chief Inspector Woodend, #3)
  • The Dark Lady (Chief Inspector Woodend, #4)
  • The Golden Mile to Murder (Chief Inspector Woodend, #5)
  • Dead on Cue (Chief Inspector Woodend, #6)
  • The Red Herring (Chief Inspector Woodend, #7)
  • Death of an Innocent (Chief Inspector Woodend, #8)
  • The Enemy Within (Chief Inspector Woodend, #9)
  • A Death Left Hanging (Chief Inspector Woodend, #10)