Start by marking “Benjamin's Parasite” as Want to Read:

Benjamin's Parasite

At any given moment, the human body contains millions of parasites.

This is the story of just one.

A really, really nasty one.

Benjamin Wilson was having a lousy month even before the stomach pains began. He was about to turn forty. One of his students had been shot while on a homicidal meat cleaver rampage. And shortly after the funeral, Benjamin didn't feel so good...

Now ev
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Benjamin's Parasite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Benjamin's Parasite

This story opens with high school student Brian playing a violent video game where you kill people for points. After a while, he grabs a meat cleaver and goes after his mom and neighbors in an attempt to score more points. A neighbor has to shoot him to stop him. At his funeral, his teacher Benjamin is at the casket paying his respects when he thinks he sees Brian's lips twitch. After leaning closer to look again, he feels a soft breath on his face. Little did he know, a parasite just transferre ...more
Mar 16, 2016 Kaisersoze rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Jeff Strand is one of the more dependable authors working in and around the horror/thriller genres today.

When you pick up a Strand book, you can be pretty sure - Kumquat excepted - that you know what you're going to get. Smart-assed main characters who are never short of a quip, deplorable antagonists who have will get what's coming to them, fast-paced action, and faster-paced dialogue.

Benjamin's Parasite is certainly no exception to these Strand-isms. But as much as I enjoy Strand's style, with
Jun 01, 2012 Gatorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was, hands down, one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I have had in a long, long time. How can you go wrong with a telepathic parasite? It had me laughing and cringing, often at the same time. I don't usually find that authors can successfully mix lots of humor with horror/thrills but Strand does it seamlessly. I was laughing so much my family kept looking over and asking what was so funny. The book has plenty of cringe-inducing moments, too, to keep the horror side of us happ ...more
This is the second Strand novel I have read and I do not understand how this author’s books are not sought out more frequently. I hope Dweller and Benjamin's Parasite are typical examples of his writing because I can’t wait to read everything he’s written.

Benjamin has a six-foot parasite residing in his intestines. He wants it out but a couple other groups want to save the specimen. This is a fun read; lots of action, great dialogue and a fair amount of gore. Strand has the rare ability to make
If you like slapstick style comedy coupled with gore and a horror attitude then strand is the man for you. This tale of a vicious little intestinal parasite fulfills all those criteria and keeps you turning the page for more. If you nit-pick anything an author puts on paper then forget this story. There is plenty to criticize in the realm of believability but I read books to escape reality so I really don't care about all that. Read this and lose yourself for a while. It is worth it.
Daniel Russell
Anyone in the horror novel community, be it as a writer or a reader, will probably be aware of Jeff strand. Even if you haven't had the pleasure yet to read one of his books, the man's reputation precedes him. Be it as the Master of Ceremonies at the Stoker awards, his blogs or his book signing events, Jeff has a reputation of being a very funny and extremely entertaining guy.

My first taste of Strand was earlier in the year, his novel PRESSURE. I went into this expecting a high dose of horror-h
William M.
Mar 25, 2012 William M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror

Author Jeff Strand's book, DWELLER, was my favorite book of 2010. PRESSURE, another thriller by Strand, was quite excellent as well. So I was looking forward to this book and put it high on my reading list. But as each page turned, I found myself shaking my head in confusion. Nothing seemed original to me and for nearly 160 pages the character's "parasite" did nothing more than give him a bad stomach ache. It put a thought or two in his mind and gave him odd cravings, but nothing
May 14, 2009 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, 2008
Jeff Strand's novel, Benjamin's Parasite, starts off with a teenage boy, Brian, going through a series of strange events (yes, even strange for a teenage boy) that ultimately land him getting shot in the end. At Brian's funeral, his teacher, Benjamin Wilson, shows up to pay his respects and notices that Brian's body appears to have exhaled! He leans in closer and sure enough... he feels a gust of air hit him in the face! This would be enough to freak anyone out, but Benjamin tries to keep his co ...more
Elizabeth A.
May 01, 2010 Elizabeth A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There may well never have been a bigger understatement in the history of official book summaries than the one which accompanies Benjamin’s Parasite by Jeff Strand:

“At any given moment, the human body contains millions of parasites. This is the story of just one. A really, really nasty one.”

Combining horror and comedy in such a way that neither overpowers the other is a delicate operation, but it’s something Strand has demonstrated time and again he is a master of doing with surgical precision. A
Aug 28, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
If unluckiness runs in families then Benjamin must be Andrew Mayhem's even unluckier cousin. You can't help but feel for this guy. Just as you think it can't get worse for him, another barrel of awful empties on his head. Just like Strand's other comedic character, there is nothing that will shake his faith that all will be right in the end and through it all he retains his optimism. We have to admire him even as we cringe (not figuratively, I actually did physically cringe several times in this ...more
Dec 02, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Benjamin Wilson is a teacher at the local High School and a bit of a smart ass. He also has a secret government experimental parasite crawling around in his guts that he should get removed before it decides to chew its way out. Alas poor Benjamin gets kidnapped during the removal surgery procedure and now there are lots of people who want a hold of that parasite. Benjamin doesn't want it, but he doesn't want to die to have to hand it over either and his day is about to really crazy. The only way ...more
Adrian Bowman
It has been a long time since I have plowed through a book this quickly. I have been a fan of Jeff Strand for some time but this one just kept me enthralled from start to finish. It is sick, funny, brilliantly written and excellently paced. I highly recommend it.
Mike Kazmierczak
Feb 23, 2014 Mike Kazmierczak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strand is great at mixing humor and horror and making both stand out. Just as you start laughing, you realize that you should be cringing instead. And boy did I cringe during some scenes here! The bathroom scene a bit more than halfway through? Ouch!! That had me biting my lip and cringing big time.

Reading the cover copy will give you a good idea about what happens. After attending the funeral for one of his students, high school teacher Benjamin Wilson starts getting extreme cravings. At first
Jürgen Seibold
Jul 18, 2015 Jürgen Seibold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Als ich über dieses Buch gestolpert bin, suchte ich nach einem Mix aus Horror vollgestopft mit eingewobenem Humor. Wie sich dabei herausstellen sollte, konnte Benjamins Parasit diesen Wunsch problemlos befriedigen.
Jeff Strand fängt unverzüglich mit einem Amoklauf eines Schülers an - bereits dieses erste Kapitel sorgte dafür, dass ich mich dem Werk in keinster Weise mehr entziehen konnte.
Somit war es bereits dort um mich geschehen und die fortlaufende Geschichte konnte dem nur noch rasant einen d
Luka Novak
Sep 23, 2015 Luka Novak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror, humour
A good Strand novel. Right mixture of humour and horror, though more on the humor side.

Plot is pretty strightforward. Titular Benjamin gets infected by a parasite which makes his addictions (chocolatte, sex and gambling) worse. Then he collapses at school where he works, is wheeled to a hospital, gets kidnapped by a female agent, gets chased by their competition also interested in parasite and reaches hillarious end.

Strand doesn't dwell on nature of aprasite, why people are interested in it, who
Apr 23, 2016 WendyB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
Wonderfully funny and gory... omg, sometimes I couldn't believe what I was reading. If it was possible to read with my hands over my eyes I would have done just that during the last 25% of the book. Loved it.
Sean Randall
Nov 08, 2014 Sean Randall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"He'd never used the f-word in front of his daughter, and could tell that he'd suddenly become infinitely cooler in her eyes."
I laughed out loud at more than one point in this story, especially the earlier parts. Things did seem to get a little more serious and deadly as things progressed and it's not a tale all tied-up and loose ends sorted, but it was a very enjoyable read indeed. Benjamin's internal voice was on-form throughout, and Cindy was well painted for her age, it's refreshing to see
Apr 10, 2014 Dustin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know those movies where someone finds something and gets chased and hunted by people who want the something, even if he doesn't want to give it to them? And they get an escort who has an idea about what's going on?
This book is like that but way better. First, the something is a parasite. Second, it's hilarious as well as fairly fast paced and with a good deal of action/chase scenes. This book rules. Strand has got talent! Give it a whirl!
Scott Baker
Jul 03, 2016 Scott Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Strand is one of the few writers I read who can perfectly blend horror and humor. Benjamin's Parasite had me holding my gut laughing one minute and squeezing it the next as I pictured that thing squirming around inside of me. It's a fun, scary, and compelling novella that will keep you turning the pages. One of Jeff's best works.
George McKnight
Sep 06, 2016 George McKnight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me lol in quite a few spots

Good read, not great but it was good! There is definitely a pattern in Jeff's writing style. He is very heavy on a victim stuck in a cabin with a physio theme to much of his writings but this book had more comical aspects
Jan 04, 2015 Doreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a mixture of humor and horror… if you consider having a parasite inside your body as a horrorific experience … though somehow this book reminds me of 'the host' since benjamin was able to communicate with the parasite. not my usual genre, but i like the writing style.
Lucas M
Jun 29, 2016 Lucas M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This my second Strand novel and was pretty good. There was lots of action and plenty of goofy characters. I took off a star because of the ending, which was a bit too neat and tidy. Recommended.
Sep 24, 2012 Vix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So it starts with a strange kid trying to turn Mum into sushi....
we then leap to a mad cow chomping down on its sciencebod keepers...
Finally we are introduced to Benjamin, a mild mannered English teacher who manages to ingest a rather nasty parasite.... off he goes to hospital for treatment, it then goes all wrong!
From sexy Bounty Hunters, strange mafia types (Vengeance!), red neck truck drivers, secretive Government agencies and a not so little worm; this story rocks... gore and humour go hand
Sally Soriano
Aug 18, 2016 Sally Soriano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Benjamin's Parasite

Funny in a sick humor sort way. Loved Benjamin's parasite, the book had drama, humor. At times I was rooting for the parasite.
Sherrah Pickett
Jul 23, 2016 Sherrah Pickett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great imagination

The book was very imaginative and kept me riveted from beginning to the end. Would recommend to my friends. Great read!!!
Todd Russell
Those familiar with Jeff Strand's horror humor mix will not be disappointed with this twisted tale of a school teacher who breathes in a parasite from a student that grows bigger and bigger inside him. There are some cringe-worthy parasite scenes later in the book as well as a decent amount of action and fun. Scary? Not really, but I didn't expect it to be another Pressure. I wish Strand would write more serious tales like that one, but it seems his comfort zone (and probably the wealth of his f ...more
Andrew Garvey
Sep 24, 2014 Andrew Garvey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Grotesque, funny, fast-paced and gleefully violent, Benjamin's Parasite comes across like a monstrous mash-up of late 70s Cronenbourg body horror and a Carl Hiassen crime caper.

With a plot that crashes along taking in secret government experiments, mutated creatures, bickering, idiotic twin hitmen, murdering trucker rapist rednecks and of course, the vividly and disgustingly realised parasite, the book is never dull.

Completely ludicrous, with big, stupid (everyone in the book is in one way or an
Ryan O'connell
Jan 19, 2016 Ryan O'connell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most fun book I've read for a while. I've yet to read anything of Jeff Strand's that doesn't genuinely make me laugh out loud.
Jan 15, 2016 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark, funny and entertaining, Benjamin's Parasite is my first taste of Jeff Strand's work, but certainly won't be my last.
Oct 08, 2013 Paulo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Das Buch machte einfach riesigen Spass und fesselte mich von der ersten Seite an! Benjamins Parasit ist eklig, richtig witzig, spannend und hat manchmal sogar ein paar gute Horrorpassagen! Benjamin, Julie, die Smith Brüder, Pedro und den ganzen Rest habe ich einfach nur lieb gewonnen weil jeder mich wenigstens einmal auflachen liess (na ja bis auf Margaret und Cindy, jedoch hatten sie aber auch keine wichtigen Rollen und wurden nicht so oft erwähnt).Ich kann das Buch einfach nur weiterempfehlen! ...more
  • The Underdwelling
  • Children of No One
  • The Haunted Forest Tour
  • When We Join Jesus In Hell
  • The Janus Legacy
Author of a bunch of demented books, including PRESSURE, DWELLER, A BAD DAY FOR VOODOO, WOLF HUNT, SINGLE WHITE PSYCHOPATH SEEKS SAME, BENJAMIN'S PARASITE, FANGBOY, THE SINISTER MR. CORPSE, and lots of others. Three-time Bram Stoker Award finalist. Three-time Bram Stoker Award loser. Four-time Bram Stoker Award Master of Ceremonies.
More about Jeff Strand...