Start by marking “Big or Little?” as Want to Read:

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
When you’re really young, it can be tough to figure out if you’re a little kid or big kid. So it is for one boy named Toby, who sometimes feels big, like when he pours his own milk, but sometimes feels little, like when he spills it. Mom and Dad make Toby feel more grown up when they let him help wash the car. But when his older brother says to go away, he feels little aga ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Annick Press (first published March 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Big or Little?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big or Little?

Jess at Such a Novel Idea
I received a copy of this via the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

Of the three, Big or Little? was the quickest read. The message was simple — a little boy is trying to figure out if he is big or little. This is a board book, based on a longer book. It was probably a bit to young for my children (5 and 7), but they enjoyed it none the less. Honestly, I wanted to get it, because my daughter is at the age where she no longer wants to be little and hates being the youngest in our family
Kristi Betts
Jul 07, 2014 Kristi Betts rated it really liked it
This review is for the 2014, board book format.

Ms. Stinson's book Big or Little? was first published in 1983 with illustrations by Robin Baird Lewis. In early 2009 the 25th anniversary edition of the book was released with illustrations by Toni Goffe. In January of this year, Big or Little was released once again, this time in board book form with illustrations by Jennifer Bell. The text is shorter than the original story in order to appeal to toddlers and fit into the board book format. The ill
DelAnne Frazee
Feb 23, 2014 DelAnne Frazee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
ISBN- 9781554516100
Pages: 24
Genre: Children's Fiction
Overall Rating: Very Good

Children go thru a stage where they start to become so independent. They dislike having help with things they believe themselves to be big enough to do for themselves. This book shows them that it is okay to big about some things and that it can be fun to still be little about other things. Y
Shannon Jacob
Oct 15, 2014 Shannon Jacob rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Stinson, K., & Goffe, T. (2009). Big or Little. New York: Annick Press. Retrieved from http://asp.tumblebooks.com/library/as...

Tumblebooks

LOV

I really enjoyed this book and the accompanying pictures and I would definitely use it in my future classroom. This book points out the important attributes of children being "big" and "little" as well as the things they accomplish or the behaviors they display that make them feel big or little. I love that the author uses the child in the book to share
Dena (Batch of Books)
The illustrations in this book are adorable. They create a sweet, comforting atmosphere that little children will enjoy. The book is about feeling big or feeling little. Children feel grown up, or big, when they can be independent and do things on their own. They feel little when they have to take a nap or can't reach the cookies by themselves. But being little isn't all bad. Sometimes you want to be little.

This is a really cute board book. There are short, simple sentences on each page, so even
Juliedrake05
This is a review of the Ebook via Tumble Books online.

Stinson, K & Lewis R.B. (2009). Big or Little. Tumbleweed Press.

Tumble Books

Big or Little is the story of a little boy who does not know if he is big or little. He goes through different things throughout his life that make him Big or Little. This is a great story that is relatable to both parents and toddlers. The illustrations add to the text and help create the Big or Little being described. I liked how the e-book zoomed in on the il
Ana Calabresi
The original book was published in 1983. This is a new version with a much simpler text and more vivid illustrations. I like the new version best, as the struggle of the child between feeling small or big is more pronounced with the shorter text. The child in the new version is also younger than the one in the original version (looks like he’s 4?), so maybe that’s why the text needed to be rewritten.

It can sure be used in storytimes for preschoolers. Kids that age can certainly relate to the epi
Caryn Caldwell
Jun 03, 2014 Caryn Caldwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
As the boy in this board book remake goes through his day, he encounters some tasks that make him feel big, such as when he can put on his shoes all by himself. Unfortunately, other things make him feel small, like when he has to take a nap even though he's wide awake. In the end, though, being little does have its advantages.

This very simple, very short board book would be perfect to share with toddlers and preschoolers who are experiencing the frustrations of not growing up quite fast enough.
Andréa
I always have a soft-spot for picture books in which the family pet can be spotted in the background of most of the scenes. Add to the fact that the little narrator reminds me of my toddler self, and it would have been difficult for me not to like this book. Stinson does a good job of illustrating the many things that can make children feel big and those that can make them feel little. And sometimes it's kind of nice to be little!

Note: I received a digital copy of this book through NetGalley.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
"Big or Little?" is a book that's been around for quite awhile. In fact, it's celebrating it's 25th Anniversary, and on this occasion it's being reprinted, this time with updated artwork by Toni Goffe. [Toni's artwork is gentle and fun and has little features that make me laugh -- like the mom's car is full of the debris one accumulates as you transport kids to and fro.:]

The reason "Big or Little" has stayed in print is because it manages to perfectly capture children's ambiguity about growing u
Rob Slaven
Feb 02, 2014 Rob Slaven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I received this title for free via a NetGalley giveaway. Despite that I'm honest below.

This is a very, very simple book but it has a good message. Kids can sometimes be very frustrated that they're not growing up fast enough and this book captures that but it also gives kids the counterpoint viewpoint that sometimes it's OK to just be the age you are.

The book also has bright, welcoming illustrations that invite the reader to keep going. In summary, a very sweet and easily digested book.
Lindsay Kaiktsian
Oct 06, 2014 Lindsay Kaiktsian rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Stinson, K., & Lewis, R.B.(2009) Big or Little? Annick Press.

Library of Virginia

Concept Book

Interesting book that teaches the concept about big and little through the eyes of a young boy. Takes the reader through scenarios of what a child that age goes through. Great book to teach about being special no matter how big or little the person is. This book would be a great lead to teach other opposite concepts in the classroom.
Mary Prado
Jul 10, 2014 Mary Prado rated it really liked it
It's All About Growing Up

CBZ book review for ---

Big or Little

Written by Kathy Stinson
Illustrated by Jennifer A.Bell

A cute book about the perils of growing up. The young girl in the story feels big when she can count to ten and help to water the plants yet she's feels too little when she needs help getting her shirt on or has to sleep in her big, big bed. It's a cute story about growing up and fitting in.
Ryan
Feb 13, 2014 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book, but after looking for it on Good reads I just realized its a reprint with different illustrations. Either way, its a nice book. I can see why it has been re printed. It will probably happen again in 10 years.
Jayna
Apr 15, 2014 Jayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is a simple, well written, engaging board book. The colors are vivid and the illustrations are eye catching. Any 1-5 year old would love this book!
Theresa
Jan 25, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
Stinson, Kathy
sometimes i am big sometimes i am little there are things i can do myself but some things i need help with...
Oct 07, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute look at how you can be a big kid and a little kid all at the same time.
Nancy
Oct 13, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
cute book for one on one reading...
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
AO
AO added it
Mar 06, 2016
Julia
Julia added it
Feb 09, 2016
Shantay Hurst
Shantay Hurst marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Olivia
Olivia added it
Jan 12, 2016
Diya Dinesh
Diya Dinesh rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kathy Stinson, author of internationally acclaimed Canadian children's classic, Red is Best, also writes novels, short stories, and nonfiction for young people of all ages.
More about Kathy Stinson...