Start by marking “The Doyle diary : the last great Conan Doyle mystery : with a Holmesian investigation into the strange and curious case of Charles Altamont Doyle” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The creator of Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle's father, Charles Altamont Doyle was incarcerated in a Victorian asylum due to his alcoholism. His random jottings and exquisite illustrations in an attempt to prove his sanity, later became this fascinating journal.
Published January 1st 1979 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Doyle diary , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doyle diary

Natalie

Loved the research, reproduction of Charles Altamont Doyle's illustrated diary and the photographs.

Didn't go in so much for the way Doyle's biographer tries to wrap the story of Charles Altamont Doyle's life in a Holmesian metaphor. Seems a little twisted to tell the tale of the father in terms dictated by the fictional constructs of the son? Someone more immersed in Freudian theory can tackle explaining why for me!

What is incredible here are the illustrations . . . the elder Doyle was indeed
Linda
Oct 12, 2007 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!...
Thank you Mr. David Silverman for introducing me to this book! I remember that you found a copy of this at a goodwill you'd worked at years ago and then you told me to look at your copy. it took me a while, but then i got obsessed!

it's a facsimile copy of charles doyle's (aurthur's father) watercolor diaries while he wa incarcerated in a Dumfries mental asylum for 'insanity'.
Wendy
I found this at my local Good Will today. This might top the $19.00 cashmere coat for best thrift store find of all time.
Jay Mandeville
This book is as beautiful & mysterious as the imagination of Charles Altamont Doyle.
Monica
Monica is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Anthea Mitchell
Anthea Mitchell marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
William Worsham
William Worsham marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Scott Cinsavich
Scott Cinsavich marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Laura added it
Feb 19, 2014
Alyssa Rushton
Alyssa Rushton marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Louise Bendixen
Louise Bendixen marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Dead Heather
Dead Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013