The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,901 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Tarek Malouf opened the first Hummingbird Bakery in London's fashionable Notting Hill district in 2004. This cookbook allows you to step inside this unique bakery and bring its trademark butter cream swirls, sprinkles, and layer-cake slices into your own kitchen. The Hummingbird's Cupcakes fly off the shelves faster than any other cake. Who can resist an adorable Vanilla C...more
Published April 15th 2009 by Ryland, Peters & Small Ltd (first published March 1st 2009)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareTiger's Quest by Colleen HouckHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Favourite Books Of The Last Decade
147th out of 350 books — 167 voters
The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook  by Cheryl DayBarefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina GartenThe Homesick Texan Cookbook by Lisa FainBasic to Brilliant, Y'all by Virginia WillisSouthern Biscuits by Nathalie Dupree
All-Time Favorite Cookery Books
56th out of 82 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Ali
not impressed with these recipes at all. cupcakes are simple to make usually, and I have made some great cakes in my time. the sponge was extremely crumbly with the cakes I made, and I followed the recipes to the exact measurements and did everything as it says in the book, complete rubbish!
Also I made gingerbread men, and it didn't make a dough at all, it was like thick cake batter, so I added a little more flour to bind it more, only to find the following day when I cut the men out, these so...more
Trine
This is one of my favourite cookbooks. The brownie recipe is a staple in my repertoire now, and I've only ever had the cupcakes turn out well. I haven't yet tried any of the pies or more fancy cakes, mostly for lack of proper baking equipment (and my fear of pie crusts). I plan to try out all the recipes in the book though!
Caroline
I know this cookbook gets rave reviews, but I was disappointed, and didn't end up using it, because it seemed like almost every recipe was loaded with sugar and butter. I'm not necessarily a low-fat cook, but it's expensive to bake that way, and I do avoid excessive sugar.
Joolz
Bought this for my daughter but have made nearly all recipes at some point or another! The red velvet cupcakes are to die for, and i made a selection of the cupcakes for my 40th birthday party. Just divine!
Emily
Lovely book looks wise, but the recipes are not great & don't always turn out well.
Lydia
The chocolate and hazelnut (i.e. Nutella) cupcakes alone justify five stars.
Scott
Jul 07, 2012 Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Finally! a moist chocolate cupcake!
Laala Alghata
Do you guys count cookbooks as a book read? I mean, I read the entire thing, so it counts, right? Anyway. I’m not going to go into an enormous amount of detail, but it’s an excellent dessert book. I love all the recipes, they seem simple enough to make and I’ve had the cupcakes and brownies at the Hummingbird Bakery before, so I know the results are delicious. I’ll include the first recipe in the book for anyone who wants to give it a go:

Vanilla Cupcakes

120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tea...more
Libby
Usually 'celebrity' endorsed products turn me off. Sorry Paris I don't want to smell/dress/ be like you. However, when I saw Gwyneth Paltrow's gushing recommendation of the hummingbird bakery, I was intrigued. Gwyneth Paltrow, who ( if the tabloids are to be believed) lives off a teaspoon of flaxseeds a day, eats cake? And not just any cake, cakes with lots of BUTTER and SUGAR and CREAM. There is even a pecan pie where you have to have dark corn syrup flown in from America ( where the fat people...more
Melanie Garrett
This book had the endorsement of two trusted sources before I even opened the cover. The first was my friend Laurel, who is an outstanding cook, and who sent me this for my birthday. The second was the fact that right on the sleeve, Gwyneth Paltrow, who not only knows a thing or two about great food, but tends to also know the chef who invented it, raves about it.

In the past, my attempts at Red Velvet cake have produced rather disappointingly pink results. But as you can see from the photo on m...more
Karen
Picked it up for €15 last week. (Dutch 2010 edition without the mistakes I hear people mention in the editions before May 2009) This weekend's try-out: chocolate cupcakes with mint buttercream. Rave reviews from guests and kids. Even I liked them. Since then I read a lot of not-so-good reviews.
Used the exact recipe/ingredients, even cooking time was good. I had less batter then expected. Need to test bake more before I can say anything. So far I loved the easy recipe and that it turned out just...more
Zelly B.
A great book with several different recipes for things more than the delicious cupcakes the Hummingbird Bakery is known for.

Of course, there are also the classic famous Hummingbird Bakery recipes like their red velvet cupcakes included too - in case you're in search for the things that made them what they are today.

I definitely recommend this book for your cookbook collection. The food photography is something to drool over.
Jo
I just like looking at the pictures..... might have to try one or two. But my husband complains that I am trying to give him a heart attack.

Made a version of a tea-cake - instead of the blueberries I used mango cause that was all I had..... it must have worked as it disappeared in less than 3 hrs.
Julia Fandechicklit
One of my favourite cookbooks of all time! Excellent baking recipes: the cookies (oat and raison, and chocolate chip) are delicious, so are some of these cakes. I made the Banana bread yesterday evening and the result is amazing! Highly recommended to anyone who loves baking!
Jennie
Seriously not impressed. There are better baking books out there. The frosting on the cakes and cupcakes looks grainy and disgusting. I think they were going for "rustic" in some of the photos, but the finished products look sloppy instead.
Really, nothing special.
Kay
As soon as you get your hands on this cookbook, try the raspberry cheesecake brownie...delicious!

Also, have since tried the strawberry cheesecake cupcake, Chocolate Hazelnut cupcake and a lemon cupcake...every single one was awesome...better than the bakery!
Christiane
I haven't tried the recipes yet but there are a few (lemon cupcakes, blueberry cake, traditional brownies) that I can't wait to try. The photographs are so beautiful, little food works of art. This would be a great gift for someone who loves sweets!
Gillian
My partner makes the most delicious banana bread in the world from this book but it seems to be another one where the recipes weren't tested thoroughly for quantities first. Oh and the green tea cupcakes were...not so good. Cute book though.
Kim
Some pretty good recipes in here, including the very delicious lemon loaf cake. Cupcakes are not bad either. The method and the ingredient quantities appear odd, but I've had good results. I know that this is not universally the case.
Png
Jan 21, 2013 Png rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Png by: goodreads
Shelves: cookbooks
Delicious-looking illustrations of classic desserts. Very tempted to make Double Chocolate Cookies. Being an intermediate baker, I'm more inclined to make fancier recipes but for traditional sweets, this is a good recommendation.
Bunnyk
I've already made one of the recipes from this book - did the Lemon Bars last night, they were VERY popular at work! Glad I saved some at home for Pete, else he'd've not got a look in! I might try freezing one for me.
Rachel
Jan 06, 2010 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: cake lovers
Recommended to Rachel by: Lynne Woodcock
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
This is full of beautiful recipies from the beginner to the expert- a must have for cake lovers. Full of beautiful full page photos and enticing recipies, I am going to enjoy piling on the pounds eating my creations!
Laura Mccarthy
i LOVE THIS BOOK. The Vanilla cupcakes are divine take minutes to whip up and they are a firm fave in my house. So much so I visited the bakery in Soho on a recent trip to london. amazing
Great value, over 100 recipes from the London cupcake bakery to the stars! Scrumptious photography.

You can buy a signed copy of the book at http://www.rylandpeters.com
Khaled Jarrah
The book has so many nice ideas and amazing photos, but it was a big disappointment as most of the creams are too sweet. And not all of the recipes are correct.
Sukanya
This is an amazing and inspirational cook book especially for those who enjoy baking desserts....... there are several recipes on evry dessert you could think of!
Rosa
El libro de recetas una de las m��s famosas bakeries londinenses, en Portobello Road. Aunque vivo s��per cerca, ya no tendr�� que ir para probar los cupcakes :)
Leanna
I am going to get ingredients for those Rocky Road bars (no bake!!), as well as practically all of the cupcakes. I love baking in the fall!
Tracey
Lots of beautiful cakes and contains one of the best cupcake recipes I have found. Don't buy if you don't want to be tempted!
  • Bake
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
  • Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Crazy About Cupcakes
  • Cupcakes!
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • What's New, Cupcake? Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Baking
Tarek Malouf was born in London and studied at London and Los Angeles universities, where he discovered American desserts. After working for ABC News in the UK and enjoying American desserts on trips to the USA, he decided to set up The Hummingbird Bakery on Portobello Road. The Bakery's home-cooked cupcakes, pies, brownies and other high-quality American desserts were a huge success and the Baker...more
More about Tarek Malouf...
The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to Make Every Day Special The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home: 100 New Recipes for Baking Brilliance Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes & Muffins The Hummingbird Bakery Cupcake Kit Süße Sünden - Cupcakes, Cheesecakes, Pies & Co. The hummingbird bakery. Die Kultbäckerei aus London