Selected Tales
read book* *Different edition

Selected Tales

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  3,391 ratings  ·  47 reviews
In 'The Fall of the House of Usher' and 'The Black Cat' he wrote the first and best tales of terror; with 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' and his fictional detective M. Dupin he invented the detective story; and tales such as 'MS. Found in a Bottle' and 'Von Kempelen and His Discovery' pioneered modern science-fiction.

As readers will discover, Poe possessed an unrivalled c...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1895)

Nikki
Oh, look, I can review this book from my computer. The ins and outs of this problem deeply, deeply confuse me...

Anyway, to actually review the book: the Penguin edition of selected tales of Edgar Allan Poe is an interesting one. His writing is interesting, reasonably absorbing most of the time, and it was quite good to read the forerunners of modern detective fiction in the form of 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue', and 'The Mystery of Marie Roget', though both of them got a little tiresome by the...more
Anna-Kathrin
E.A. Poe is for me, personally, one of the best writers of all times.
I love all of his work, it's perfect to me.

While this collection does of course not have all of his work, it features the most well known stories and is a good start for everyone who wants to get to know Poe's haunting tales.

But honestly:
If you love dark and morbid stories, get everything by him!

I know Edgar Allan Poe is credited with being a master of horror stories, pioneering the first real sci-fi tale, and inventing the detective genre; but does that really mean I have to like him?!
Firstly, good God he has an obsession with premature burial/entombment. A horror story isn't necessarily inventive if each one he writes involves some element of claustrophobic tomb and/or a question mark over death, madness, or the reliability of a narrator. Once or twice, then fine, wonderful, it's int...more
S. J. Bolton
We’re supposed to love and revere Poe, we writers of scary tales, but I rather struggle to do it.

I had to read him again, just recently, because I was taking part in a discussion at the Danish crime fair, Krimimessen, in Horsens, on the subject of the macabre in crime fiction. Invariably, on such occasions, Poe will raise his ashen face. I dug out my old paperback copy and re-read a few of the tales: The Fall of the House of Usher, The Black Cat, the Masque of the Red Death, The Premature Buria...more
Chris
It's hard to wrap your mind around in the 21st century, but in this one volume you can watch the drug and depression-addled mind of Edgar Allan Poe invent the horror story, the detective story, the genre of science fiction, and perhaps the cornerstone of English absurdist and manic fiction that blossomed out of the fresh corpse of post-war modernism. The real genesis of this could probably be attributed to Rabelais, whose obscene epic probably does much more than, say, the relatively terse Masqu...more
Isabel
And then my vision fell upon the seven tall candles upon the table. At first they wore the aspect of charity, and seemed white slender angels who would save me; but then, all at once, there came a most deadly nausea over my spirit, and I felt every fibre in my frame thrill as if I had touched the wire of a galvanic battery, while the angel forms became meaningless spectres, with heads of flame, and I saw that from them there would be no help. from "The Pit and the Pendulum"

This book includes so...more
Nikki
As expected, this was a great collection of stories. My personal favorite has to be 'The Pit and the Pendulum', which is by far the scariest story of the bunch. Other ones I loved: 'The Man of the Crowd', 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' (despite the rather silly denouement), 'The Masque of the Red Death', 'The Tell-Tale Heart', 'The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether' and 'Hop-Frog'. The only story I genuinely didn't like because I had no idea what it was doing there, was 'The Domain of...more
Irma
This took TOO. LONG. What to say? There were stories I loved, there were stories I liked and there were stories I thought 'what on Earth was THAT?' As, I guess, with any collection. Still, most of the stories I really liked and, well, it IS a classic.

A warning though, especially for those whose native language isn't English - the language can be quit difficult no matter how much or how long you've already been reading in English. Still, once you get used to it, it's quite fun discovering new (ol...more
Lilith711
I really enjoyed "Selected Tales" by Edgar Allan Poe. All the stories were unique and interesting. None of the stories seem to be the same. The writing was really good and had good descriptions. I think one of the things Edgar Allan Poe did the best was fluency and thoughts. The thoughts he incorporated into most of the short stories were very expressive and long. Being that the stories were written in another time period, some concepts are hard to understand. But apart from that, I liked readin...more
Ronaldo Quercia
Een beetje misleidend is het wel. Met een voorwoord van Jan Wolkers staat er voor op de bundel Verhalen van Edgar Allan Poe. Dat voorwoord blijkt echter het essay De bretels van Jupiter te zijn, verschenen in het NRC Handelsblad van 24 december 1987, in 1991 in de bundel Tarzan in Arles en in 2001 in de verzamelde essays De schuimspaan van de tijd. Niks nieuws onder de zon dus. Maar goed, ik las het nooit eerder, dus waar klaag ik over?

De bretels van Jupiter is een prachtige inleiding. In zijn t...more
Eric
While I previously thought Poe only did randomly rhyming poems in story form, this was a pleasant read. Granted the 'horror' wasn't exactly horrifying, but that was part of Poe's charm. I particularly enjoyed the length to which Poe went to describe things, like the scenery and the characters, leading to an altogether interesting narrative.
Anne
"I blush, I burn, I shudder, while I pen the damnable atrocity."

I bought this book more than four years ago, but it is only a few days ago that I decided to read it completely. Sure, I've read some of the stories, but only about five or so. I have always loved The Black Cat and The Tell-Tale Heart, the latter I read for at least five times. I will first present my individual ratings of the stories (the rating three stars for the book would be the average):

The Duc De L'Omelette ★☆☆☆☆
MS. Found in...more
Luigi
E' stata una lettura un po' sofferta: alcuni racconti troppo pieni di descrizioni(il peggiore �� stato "The domain of Arnheim") che, forse anche per via della lettura in inglese, non mi hanno preso per niente; quelli di Dupin pure non mi hanno entusiasmato molto, forse per via del genere.
Quelli del terrore invece mi sono piaciuti, anche se, a parte "The masque of the Red Death", non mi hanno suggestionato come mi aspettavo, probabilmente un po' per la mediazione delle immagini provocata dal legg...more
Hannah
i wanted to die because i didn't like it but i mean maybe he's not my style or whatever i just didnt like it but here are a few faves i did like and read and loved because they made sense to me or that it was narrated well or whatever...

the fall of the house of usher
the black cat
ligeia
william wilson
the murders in rue morgue
the oval portrait
the masque of the red death
the tell tale heart
the facts in case of M. valdemar

and those are my faves thoug i have read more than those stories the others i re...more
Maria
Classic, creepy, horror and amazingly written. What else does one need?
Blair
I knew I would enjoy this, but even so I was surprised at how readable the stories were. I preferred the tales with a supernatural twist to the ones with more logical conclusions - 'William Wilson', 'The Fall of the House of Usher' and 'The Masque of the Red Death' (despite its brevity) were among my favourites, but I lost interest in 'The Murder of Marie Rôget' halfway through and was disappointed when 'The Gold-Bug' had a rational outcome rather than ending with a paranormal flourish. Great to...more
Hassan Chaudhry
Edgar Allan Poe as most of you should know was a poet who was not really know during his time. By the way this isn't the exact copy of the book of selected works but I could not find the one that I had read. Anyway the book contains some of his famous works like such as Annabel Lee and and the cask of amontillado. They are good but you should already know a lot of his work is quite depressing to read. So if depressing works of death and despair are not your thing, then the work of Edgar Allan Po...more
Anna Schno
I enjoyed some of these stories very much. Other's had me lifting my eyebrow but kept me ging and the rest I did not finish because I couldn't get into them.
Overall this is a great mix and my reading might've turned out differently if I was more in the mind to read Poe. His stories are not for everyday I think and one has to be in the mood for his style and topics.
Maybe it's best not to read it consecutively but only when the mood strikes?
Pat Tucker
He is still worth reading. I read The Cask of the Amontillado, The Fall of the House of Usher, the Purloined Letter.
Ola Allam
There's no doubt that Edgar Allan Poe is a master of short stories and horror tales. His style of writing, the way he describes the events, and his narrations makes it impossible for the reader to forget the details of the stories. I definitely recommend this book for anyone who's a fan of the Gothic literature, the supernatural, and the horror genre.
Brittany Rivera
Classic Poe. I liked many of the stories, but reading Hawthorne at the same time I actually found the latter more mentally thought provoking and eerie. It was good to read Poe again, especially some new ones.
"She died; -and I, crushed into the very dust with sorrow, could no longer endure that lonely desolation." -Ligeia
Richard Reinhart
Edgar allen poe is just amazing in this book there are alot of his short stories so i am just going to focus on some like the mask of the red death and the murder in the rue morgue. The theme of these short stories are darkness and Poe uses it to show you the terror that life can leave on your doorsteps .
Alessandro
It doesn't get any better than this, folks. Edgar Allan Poe is the unchallenged master of horror and what got me into reading books. His short stories always deliver and are imbued with a unique horror aura. The stuff of legends, ladies and gentlemens.
Apr 11, 2014 Sarah marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Much though I appreciated the general creepiness of these stories, the language was so impenetrable to read that it took ages to slog through each one and that rather took the enjoyment out of the whole process. Didn't finish.
Sean
Many of the stories in this collection tend towards the monotonous and dull. There are the odd one or two which are engaging but overall the writing comes across as laboured and grinding. A great little dust collector, this one.
Sam Snideman
Some good stuff in there; mostly a lot of second-rate stuff (in my opinion). I learned from reading this book that I don't much care for Poe. More power to those who do.
Alice
Sep 19, 2012 Alice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: EVERYONE
All the classics and some I've never heard of. I love an awful lot of Poe's stories but of course, as with any collection, some I really hate.
A must read!!!
Hanane El
i'm not a huge fan of Allan Edgar Poe,but i found the tales quite entertaining and fun to read,and you're not bored or suffocated by a long,complicated one story .
Maria S.
i think the selections chosen in this book were quite adequate! Though "Murders in the Rue Morgue" was kinda dull. In enjoyed it thoroughly.
Cats 274
This is probably the most boring book I ever tried to read. After three attempts in the time period of ten years I finally give up.
  • The Collected Works of Oscar Wilde
  • Grimms' Fairy Tales
  • Sherlock Holmes: Selected Stories
  • Selected Essays (Penguin Classics)
  • The Devil's Elixirs
  • H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 3: The Haunter Of The Dark
  • The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Other Tales (Modern Library Classics)
  • Life's Little Ironies
  • The Man Who Would Be King and Other Stories
  • Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories
  • Can Such Things Be?
  • Coraline and Other Stories
  • Gothic Short Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • The Birthmark
  • The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 20
  • First Light
  • Les vacances (Comtesse de Ségur, Tome 03)
  • Eurico, o Presbítero
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado

“In pace requiescat!” 5 likes
“Enough," he said; "the cough is a mere nothing; it will not kill me. I shall not die of a cough." "True - true," I replied;” 4 likes