Stolen: A Letter to My Captor
read excerpt

Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  27,653 ratings  ·  4,028 reviews
It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.

This is my story.

A letter from nowhere.

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a characte...more
Published May 4th 2009 by Chicken House Ltd

Captive in the Dark by C.J. RobertsStolen by Lucy ChristopherSeduced in the Dark by C.J. RobertsConsequences by Aleatha RomigComfort Food by Kitty Thomas
Kidnapped!
2nd out of 367 books — 1,114 voters
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskySpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonLooking for Alaska by John Green
Best Teen Books About Real Problems
51st out of 1,526 books — 8,582 voters

More lists with this book...

Annalisa
Feb 12, 2014 Annalisa rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: f words
Recommended to Annalisa by: Kat Kennedy
When I was a teenager, I remember watching a movie with my family and the couple onscreen kissed for the first time and of course five seconds later were sleeping together. My dad, trying to keep the morality of four teenage girls intact, complained about movies always doing that, making you root for something you didn't believe in. I remember thinking "it's just a movie; you're supposed to want that," because I had wanted it.

Christopher is a smart woman. She realizes this power, that as an auth...more
Lyndsey
This book completely reaffirmed my fascination with the beautiful land that is Australia.

But the people who live there seem to want everyone to think it's a lot like this:

Or this:

Or even this:

Gemma, just a regular 16 year old school girl, has been captured by a handsome and alluring young Australian man named Ty. Although Gemma seems to think so, it never feels like she's in any imminent danger, from Ty at least. From the environment - yes.

The stakes and suspense don't seem that high, as I fully...more
Nina ♥
Jan 25, 2012 Nina ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nina ♥ by: Maggie Stiefvater
Shelves: favorites
"I made it," you said, gruffly, "for you."
You shoved it onto my finger. It was roughly carved, shaped from a lump of something colourful and cold...a ring made entirely from a gemstone. It was beautiful. It glinted emerald greens and blood reds over my skin, and had tiny flecks of gold catching the light. I couldn't stop staring at it.
"Why?" I asked.
You didn't answer that. Instead you touched the ring gently and looked piercingly at me, unsaid questions in your eyes.

HOLY SHIT! I should not have...more
Basuhi (Is not reading anymore)
When you think about this book, I bet this is what comes to your mind.
These words.

You saw me before I saw you.

Those six words, merely six simple and enchantingly austere words that fascinate you like nothing has or ever will.

The story starts with Gemma sitting at a coffee shop in the Bangkok airport checking out an apparently random but seemingly familiar hot guy. Little did she know that this guy knew her better than any other living person in the world.
They strike up a conversation - flir
Kat Kennedy
Stolen is such a singular reading experience that its difficult to decide how I feel about it.

Gemma is a sixteen year old English girl kidnapped by Ty and taken into the Western Australian outback where she is held prisoner.

I had to give this book five stars for several reasons. One of the reasons is because it was so fantastically well written. Beautiful, touching, heart breaking and real. Christopher doesn't spare on the details both good and bad. Never before have I felt a book to be so real,...more
Maggie Stiefvater
I just had a copy of STOLEN by Lucy Christopher put into my hands at ALA, and I am definitely, definitely sending a quote for them to use for the paperback edition. It’s a YA novel about a girl who is kidnapped from an airport by a crazy guy and taken to a shack in the Australian outback. The novel features

1) crazy guy
2) camels
3) strong heroine
4) poisonous snakes! (did you know that Australia is the only continent where species of poisonous snakes outnumbers non-poisonous ones?)
5) hallucinating
6...more
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

----------------HYPERVENTILATING------------------
-------------------AUGUST 2013 UPDATE--------------

Look what I just saw on Lucy's FB:

Lucy Christopher
If I tell you I'm about to fly to San Diego to work on the screenplay of Stolen .... would you be excited?
Me gusta · · Compartir · 83 · Hace 3 minutos ·

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE CAN I BUY MY TICKETS????!!!! NEED THAT FILM LIKE YESTERDAY!!!!

P.S. Sorry for updating an old review but this was soooooo good for me that I had to do it!
------------
Sam
Nov 20, 2012 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sam by: Buddy read with the lovely Leanne!
“You saw me before I saw you. In the airport, that day in August, you had that look in your eyes, as though you wanted something from me, as though you’d wanted it for a long time.”

Thankfully, I still have the ability to type. Ask for my thoughts in spoken words and you’ll receive incoherent mumbling, gulping sobs, and maybe the occasional wistful sigh. It’s complicated, my relationship with this book. It doesn’t make sense to even me. I am overwhelmed, exhausted even, but completely thrilled t...more
Inge
… that’s it?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Well, that was a shit fucking letter, wasn’t it? Can you even call that a letter? It’s just a recollection of everything that happened between Gemma and Ty. As if someone would be able to remember every conversation that had happened on every day for a month. It’s fine as a story, but I did not accept the letter concept. It reminds me of a certain Friends episode where Rachel and Ross are fighting and Rachel wrote him a letter.

Ross: “I fell asleep!”
Rachel: “You fell asleep?!”
Ross:...more
fяσzєη, kupo~
This review is also available over at my blog.

___________________________

I'm still crying as I type this.

This review will very likely be brief and will very likely be a hot mess, because . . . I just can't believe how gorgeous this single piece of literature is. I can't believe it took me this long to read it. I'll definitely say it was worth the wait, though.

It's been a while since I've read something that touched me this deeply. How this book is written just gutted me and left me breathless at...more
Tatiana
Jul 19, 2010 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kat, Penny and just about everyone else I know on GR
It is with sadness I am giving Stolen an "it was ok" 2-star rating. I expected to love this book. What's not to love? The premise was right up my alley - a psychological thriller, an exploration of Stockholm Syndrome, a story about a kidnapped person who finds herself emotionally attached to her captor. It's a treasure for a reader like me, fascinated by crazy and sick. But somehow Stolen didn't move me in any significant way.

While I found the premise to be extremely interesting and pretty much...more
Debra

♥ 5 CAPTIVATINGLY BEAUTIFUL STARS. ♥

"You saw me before I saw you..."

Where to even begin with a review on a story like this...

Let me start off by saying that this was not an easy story to read. From the moment I started reading it, I felt like there were dark clouds looming over me and something bad was going to happen any minute. And I pretty much felt that way throughout the entire book, which explains exactly why I was so hesitant to start it at first. But in the end, I'm really glad I fina...more
Kristalia
FINAL RATING: ★★★★★/★★★★★

“How long will you keep me?" I asked.
You shrugged. "Forever, of course.”

ATTENTION PLEASE!!!

This book is FANTASTIC.

WHY? because it's UNIQUE, and it's not usual KIDNAPPING STORY. It's something else entirely, and it's WORTHY OF YOUR TIME.

Stolen is also quite REALISTIC, CREEPY and EXCELLENT STORY.

And, the one thing that made me love it is THE UNIQUE WAY OF WRITING. This is a letter... a LETTER TO HER CAPTOR - LITERALLY. And it's ENDING was what i loved the most....more
kristina
You saw me before I saw you.

[image error]

This book was just WOW!I fell in love with the characters but mostly with the writing style.To be more specific , this book is written like a letter,a letter to her captor, which means that she is refering to him.This is very beautiful because the reader takes part in the story and the book is alive.

Gemma never thought that a friendly stranger could harm her.The story begins when she is in a coffee shop at the airport.There she spots a familiar face but...more
Arlene
Feb 04, 2011 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Arlene by: Gift from Flannery - Thank you!
Wow!! What an emotional, gripping and addictive book! I was hooked to this story from the beginning and despite how I knew nothing good would come of it, I drove head on collision with the conclusion and was left with a wreckage of angst and sadness.

But before I tell you how I really felt, excuse me a moment, while I self-reflect...

Felt an emotional pull toward the captor? Check.
Believed that he deserved some semblance of happiness because of his past? Check.
Recognized moments where the captor s
Keertana
I literally just put down Stolen and my brain...it can't think. I just need to let this book sit and saturate into me, every part of me because it can and it will and I will let it.

I do want to say, however, that Stolen was not what I expected. When I went into it, I was almost expecting an eventual romance, but there is none and I'm glad there isn't. Stolen is a novel of abduction, but it is also a novel of hope and faith and beauty. I only really fell in love with Stolen seven pages from the...more
Christy
 photo 3cd3931a-0e56-4078-83bb-2a12991c4aff_zpsfa8f7ac0.jpg

Okay... I just finished this book and I need to take some deep breaths and calm down a little- alright, here it goes!

Sixteen year old Gemma is at an airport coffee shop in Bangkok when she sees him. Ty is in his mid twenties. He looks familiar to her, something about his beautiful blue eyes, but she can’t place him. He buys her a coffee, they chat, then she starts to feel funny. She has been drugged. She is being kidnapped.

Now, meet Ty and Gemma:
 photo d44026e7-e26e-4a7d-8ebd-aefd31ce0ab0_zpsf48da3d7.jpg

photo 2b169280-44bc-4828-8493-478c6726a779_zps6c3dbf48.jpg

When Gemma comes to, she is surprised. She is...more
Nic
Favourite Quote: "Lets face it, you did steal me. But you saved my life too. And somewhere in the middle, you showed me a place so different and beautiful, I can never get it out of my mind. And I can't get you out of there either. You're stuck in my brain like my own blood vessels."

Stolen is one huge emotional rollercoaster ride. It had my stomach all tied up in knots and made my heart ache but it was AMAZING. Truly, a stunning and thought provoking read.

Lucy Christopher is a brilliant writer....more
Hershey
What would you do if you're abducted to the middle of nowhere?

I hate deserts. I winced when Christopher described about the heat and the rawness of the desert. Why are we even talking about deserts?
Why?
Because in reality it's actually beautiful. It shows the vastness of the world, the rawness, the emptiness and the loneliness.
I read this short story called the Tears of the Desert by Paulo Coelho. It's a story about this man who listens everyday to the sobbing of the desert and a missionary...more
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

I’ve wanted to read Stolen for a long time. Sadly, it was pushed to the side so many times, but I’m glad I finally picked it up because it was a powerful and gripping read. All my nerves and emotions felt stretched tight while reading this, the tension high. I felt the zing of excitement as I turned the pages, both hoping for things to turn out one way and dreading if they did, as well.

Sixteen year old Gemma is drugged and kidnapped from an airport and taken to the endless desert in th...more
Elle
Australia

The proud Aussie chick inside me was majorly pissed off with this book.

An English friend of mine (who thinks he's fecking hilarious BTW) recently developed his own slogan for Australian tourism:

"Snakes. Spiders. Jellyfish. Weather.
Australia - countless ways to get assfucked by nature"

- D. Crowley

So you see, we're having a hard enough time AS IT IS to entice the world to visit us without Lucy Christopher raining on our awesome parade.

Further thoughts on the actual story to follow shortly...
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Beautiful. Evil, but beautiful. Evil because I now have Stockholm Syndrome. Beautiful because I didn't realise it was happening, the writing was so subtle yet engrossing and real. Gritty.

I fell in love with Ty, the kidnapper. He was so kind, considerate and almost harmless really (Hello, Stockholm!). He'd saved Gemma's life so many times and eventually sacrificed his freedom for her. How can anyone not love him a little for that?

I understood his motivations. He was lonely and had been badly tre...more
Alexa
Gemma is a 16-year-old from London. She and her parents are at the airport in Bangkok, preparing to catch a flight to Vietnam, when she meets a man, Ty, who steals her away and changes her life forever. Stolen is a letter written by the victim to the captor. Gemma's letter reveals what happens between her and Ty during her captivity in the Australian outback.

Throughout the book, I had conflicting feelings towards Ty. Which were kind of similar to the way Gemma felt about him. Ty was patient with...more
Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)
This book. I read it. And it gave me feels. Sometimes the narrative. Drove me crazy. Sometimes The Ty. Drove me crazy. Sometimes The Gemma. Drove me crazy. Sometimes The Camel. Made me laugh.

Okay, in all seriousness, if anyone wants a test for how much “crazy” they have, this book is it. All you have to do is find a piece of paper and something to write with and start making strike marks for every scene in which Gemma should attempt to KILL Ty. I think I got up to 27 or so, with each murder bec...more
~Tina~
TBR Reduce Challenge #9- 2011 (Alexa)

Aussie Book challenge 2011 #2

:Spoiler Alert:

Wow! What an outstanding story!

Lucy Christopher pens a remarkable story that will leave you torn, rattled and emotional raw. She will have you question between madness and sanity, love and obsession and ultimately right and wrong. She will dare you to choose what you know and what you actually feel once this story is said and done.
Stolen has no chapters, it is a long-running letter written from victim to captor.
This...more
Kristy
Wow this was a different sort of book. Not really what I expected. I liked it. But it really left me feeling very conflicted, much like the main character Gemma.

Gemma was kidnapped or "stolen" by her stalker of 6 years, which she never even knew she had. He took her out to the middle of the desert in Australia where he had built a house for them to live in.

The thing that left me so conflicted is even though Ty took her against her will, and at times he seemed crazy, I ended up feeling for him....more
Jillian -always aspiring-
***WARNING: THIS IS NOT A CONVENTIONAL REVIEW, AND THERE MAY BE SPOILERS***

Dear Gemma and Ty,

I have just finished reading your story -- yes, I do consider it a story about the both of you -- and I'm still wondering how I should react. Should I feel relief for what happened? Should I feel sadness for what was lost? Should I feel something like restlessness in my own soul as I wonder what awaits you two? Or should I feel a mixture of all three? I don't know what to feel.

Gemma -- I thought you wer...more
Mizuki
Pre-review:

I must confess, I'm still in the middle of the book and I'm already at the verge of giving up. Stolen: A Letter to My Captor annoys me so much.

At first I thought I'd like this story, because I'm deeply interested with Stockholm Syndrome and the conflicts between kidnapped victim and the kidnapper...and not to mention I had also tried my hand on writing yaoi fanfic with similar themes. But so far the author had failed to get the job done. If Ms. Lucy Christopher didn't redeem her creat
Penny
Apr 02, 2014 Penny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone, especially lovers of YA novels
Recommended to Penny by: Kat Kennedy
This book really made me think, especially about all the dysfunctional relationships disguised as romance in YA novels and movies.

I had an interesting conversation with one of my nieces about this book (she read it during our family reunion). She's twenty-four years old and she felt as conflicted as I did about how this book ended. We were both frustrated with ourselves (or the book--it's hard to tell) because we kept wanting the relationship between Gemma and her kidnapper to develop. How sick...more
Merna
Stolen was a different and fresh read compared to the rest of YA genre. It kept my eyes attached frantically to the pages, but at the end I couldn’t help but feel as if the story was rushed, therefore whatever message this novel was attempting to convey to the readers had been slightly lost, in my opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, stolen was an enjoyable read and to say the least that earns four stars solely, but it was simply lacking at compelling me about the main concept of the whole book: Stockho...more
ALTERNATE ENDING???? 16 209 Apr 12, 2014 12:15PM
What did you think of Ty? 46 463 Mar 14, 2014 01:13PM
Did you feel that Gemma was being kinda heartless toward Ty? 29 269 Mar 14, 2014 01:11PM
Wild Things: YA G...: April 2013 Stolen by Lucy Christopher 10 60 Mar 07, 2014 01:37PM
Possible Sequel 165 868 Mar 02, 2014 09:30PM
  • Stay
  • Fury
  • Holier Than Thou
  • The Piper's Son
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
  • Pan's Whisper
  • Please Ignore Vera Dietz
  • Living Dead Girl
  • Split
Lucy Christopher was born in Wales but grew up in Australia. She obtained an Undergraduate degree at Melbourne University. She moved to the UK to earn a distinction in a Creative Writing MA from Bath Spa University. The novel she wrote for this class, The Long Flight, was picked up by a publisher under a new name of FLYAWAY.

Lucy’s debut novel, Stolen, was written as part for her PhD degree. Stolen...more
More about Lucy Christopher...
Flyaway The Killing Woods

“Lets face it, you did steal me. But you saved my life too. And somewhere in the middle, you showed me a place so different and beautiful, I can never get it out of my mind. And I can't get you out of there either. You're stuck in my brain like my own blood vessels.” 451 likes
“I can't save you like that Ty.
What you did to me wasn't this brilliant thing, like you think it was. You took me away from everything - my parents, my friends, my life. You took me to the sand and the heat, the dirt and isolation. And you expected me to love you. And that's the hardest bit. Because I did, or at least, I loved something out there.
But I hated you too. I can't forget that.”
260 likes