Start by marking “Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (Children of the Sea, #2)” as Want to Read:
Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (Children of the Sea, #2)

Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (Children of the Sea/海獣の子供 #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The sea has a story to tell you, one you’ve never heard before… R to L (Japanese Style). Umi and Sora are not alone in their strange connection to the sea. Forty years ago, Jim met another young boy with the same powers. As penance for letting the boy die, Jim has been searching the world for other children with those same ties to the ocean. Anglade, a ...more
Published December 15th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC (first published July 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Sea, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Sea, Volume 2

David Schaafsma
The art again is the best thing about this series, the gorgeous work Igarashi does especially with nature: any ocean creatures, water, weather… he's a little less good with people, interestingly enough, but maybe because the global/cosmic themes are actually more important to him than the characters themselves. Many of the characters are mystical and ethereal and two of them look very much like girls but are boys, to no obvious purpose… but the cast is still interesting, just not as accomplished ...more
Rosa
May 01, 2010 Rosa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga, 2010
The illustrations of the animals are absolutely gorgeous. The story is getting a little bit creepy and sad but I am still enjoying it.
Nicola Mansfield
This incredibly unique story picks up where Vol. 1 left off and after reading the book I'm still left without any evidence on whether to call it fantasy or science fiction at this point. The fish continue to disappear but that aspect of the story fades to the background as this volume both takes a closer look at certain characters and propels Umi and Sora's plot forward. We are taken into the past and shown Jim's backstory which explains why he is the boys' guardian. A new character, Anglade, ap ...more
Brittany
Igarashi's drawing is still as lovely as ever. I found myself stopping page after page to adore and absorb the sketchy lines and the way he uses line shape to provoke emotion and mood. The drawings of the sea, or the animals, or the eyes, are sometimes just scratches on the paper - up close the lines recreate the swaying of the plants underwater, or the brush of a current - and when farther from the eye they create a whole scene, something moving and a moment captured. I think that's what I love ...more
Deb
Enchanting, moody artwork draws you into the fantastical legend of children adapted to living in the sea and what is to come to pass in the world as we know it.
As a side note, this book is from 2007 mentions an ancient legend of a god's semen dropping to earth and a character comes to think that is what a meteorite is. And now in 2014 we have landed a spaceprobe on a comet and have found organic matter. hmmmm
Charliesabers
The series as a whole is good. The story is interesting, deep and thought provoking, and weaves a fascinating tale about the origin of life, death and everything in between. I did not particularly like the main cast. They receive a bit of development, but are mostly there as vehicles for the story. Maybe Ruka, her mom, Anglade and Dehdeh could be considered the best of the bunch. The pacing is kind slow, but not in a bad way. I definitely was actively finding time to read it, but it is no page t ...more
Tara Schaafsma
I like these, but find them confusing. Sometimes I think several days have gone by, only to find out a page or 2 later that it's only been a few hours. Sometimes I get the characters confused, but less so as I go along.
PJ Ebbrell
Another fantastic piece of Manga. A new character is introduced and the series takes a bit more scientific bend. This is is a wonderful series, the art is stunning, the story flows and now one of the three favourite Mangas.

In awe and reading chapters slowly to make it last.
Aidan
This story just keeps getting better and better. :)
Mikael Kuoppala
This odd story about marine biologists observing peculiar phenomena that suddenly appear in Earth's oceans gets more streamlined with the second volume of the series. We get some nice scientific background to fuel sci-fi concepts that might very well turn out to be quite fascinating. And as the plot moves forward nicely and the characters get built up further, this mesmerizing exercise of dreamlike storytelling is a definite winner, promising good things ahead.
Brittany Sanford
This series has really grown on me.

I initially had issues with reading R to L, but as soon as I started this book I fell into the flow of it as if I have been reading manga my entire life. I enjoyed the pictures more and the story more.

I quite like this story although it is slow. I do hate how it ends. It gets interesting as soon as it ends.

I am really happy I kept at this series. I really like it.
Mazohyst
Still a beautiful series, Children of the Sea is definitely a must read. The story slowly unfolds, revealing more and more that only leaves me wanting to know more and more. There were a few panels that may cause me to have nightmares, but it's still beautiful art nevertheless. I'm finding myself to be drawn more and more into the children and the oceans itself.
Selena
That ending, man. That ending.

Now I have to read the last volume. MUST KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING!!!!
Starkville Public Library Young Adult Section
When Sora disappears, Umi loses his ability to speak. Ruka decides to help Umi find his brother, and they set off on their own to look for him. Jim, a man with ties to other children of the sea, believes that Sora and Umi are running out of time. Will Umi and Ruka find Sora before it's too late?
Pinky
The story continues with Sora running away from the aquarium and Umi and Ruka chasing after him. Sora and Umi are going through some sort of transition and we are left as Sora explodes into the ocean. Does it have something to do with the meteorite?
Agent
Philippe Lhoste
L'intrigue se poursuit, à la recherche de l'origine de ces deux enfants de la mer.
Difficile à résumer, ce manga doit beaucoup à son ambiance étrange et ses dessins originaux et beaux.
Je lirai le tome 3 avec intérêt.
Timothy
Sort of like where "Lost" meets "The X-Files", set in the ocean. All buildup and mystery, wrapped in mysticism, but no real answers. I have a feeling the end of this series might be somewhat of a letdown.
Scott Robins
Exactly the kind of manga I've been looking for - a mysterious and unfolding story about children that live in the sea. The ending to this volume was a shocker. Definitely looking forward to volume 3.
Nelly Paulina
was not as crazy about all the scientific explanations that got introduced late into the volume, but this is still a beautiful story - peaceful, still and aimlessly wonderful.
Courtney
This story is beautiful and mysterious. Love the artwork and the characters. Thematically stunning. I wish more people were reading this series...
Alexa
Mar 22, 2012 Alexa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Weird. They have a guy that I swear is a girl. Oh, and read the first book before the second. It'll help you understand.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Beautiful art and the mystery surrounding Umi and Sora continue in this second volume of Children of the Sea.
-FROZEN-
I love love love this book so so so much.
Rose
An intriguing, slow-building story - I'm hooked.
Susan
So beautiful. I love Igarashi's art.
Jamil
ghosts in the tsunami
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • Sunny, Vol. 2
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 5
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 2
  • Spera Volume 1
  • Vinland Saga, Omnibus 1
  • not simple
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 2
Daisuke Igarashi (五十嵐大介 Igarashi Daisuke) is a critically acclaimed manga artist. He began his professional career in 1993. Igarashi is known among manga fans for his bold, detailed art style and innovative storytelling.

While he is not a major commercial force in Japan, Igarashi is well respected in critical circles. His manga Witches received an Excellence Prize at the 2004 Japan Media Arts Fest
More about Daisuke Igarashi...

Children of the Sea/海獣の子供 (5 books)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 3 (Children of the Sea, #3)
  • Children of the Sea, Vol. 4
  • Children of the Sea, Vol. 5
Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1) Children of the Sea, Volume 3 (Children of the Sea, #3) Children of the Sea, Vol. 4 Children of the Sea, Vol. 5 Witches 1