Start by marking “Know Your Power: A Message to America's Daughters” as Want to Read:
Know Your Power: A Message to America's Daughters

Know Your Power: A Message to America's Daughters

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  67 reviews
“Never losing faith, we worked to redeem the promise of America, that all men and women are created equal. For our daughters and our granddaughters today we have broken the marble ceiling. For our daughters and our granddaughters now the sky is the limit.” —Nancy Pelosi, after being sworn in as Speaker of the House When Nancy Pelosi became the first woman Speaker of the Ho ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by Anchor (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Know Your Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Know Your Power

Katie
This book was fascinating. It doesn't delve into her politics too much, but is mainly about her family life and background. She has five children that she stayed home to raise and THEN became a member of Congress.

I learned that the FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act), which protects someone's job while, for instance, they are on maternity leave, was presented to the first President Bush and that he wouldn't sign it. President Clinton eventually did sign it. I had no idea this was such a recent
Jessica
Apr 12, 2009 Jessica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I didn't think I was a fan of Pelosi, but I heard her interviewed this week by Joe Donahue on The Roundtable on WAMC (wamc.org). Radio is a great way to arrive unprejudiced to someone's views: I caught the interview midstream, and didn't know who was speaking until very near the end. Who IS this smart lady? ...lo and behold, it was Nancy Pelosi speaking such common sense & wisdom about women and power.
Wow. Surprise, surprise.
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

AS AMERICA BRACES ITSELF FOR NATIONAL ELECTIONS IN 2016!! WOMEN NEED TO KNOW THERE POWER AND WHATS AT RISK FOR ALL FEMALES.

Nancy Pelosi has a strong progressive point of view for America. She really wants the betterment of Young rils and women rights in America. Equal pay for women. Better medical care, Better leave and programs for working mothers. rights to choose and make our own decisions about our bodies. This book should be required reading for every female in America
Devon
Maybe my expectations were too high, but it wasn't the kickass, take names book that I imagined. The tips I got out of the book were few and far between.
Jodi
I was expecting more inspiration. Just a memoir listing the details of her (well-off) upbringing. Title is deceiving.
Vincent
Jun 02, 2010 Vincent rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are republicans
Except for the rabid right wing, I don't know anyone who doesn't admire or at least respect Nancy Pelosi. She made history as the first woman speaker but also has done more work to bring this Congress legislative victories than any other speaker before her.
The book has some good (but warmed over and sanitized) anecdotes about her upbringing and early years.
She loved hanging out in Ocean City, was forbidden to ride her bicycle in the street or swim out to far but did both, and was raised by a mom
Lynn
If Nancy Pelosi had been a CEO of a bank, daughter of a banker and sister to bankers this book would be seen as an inspiring tale to young women of what can be done with guts, determination, and support from family and friends. Because she is a political figure it is not always read with a generous light. However, no matter what your political background -- credit does need to be given to her for a life of influence.

This book is a conversation -- it is not always sequential, but what conversatio
Margot Friedman
It is incredible that Nancy Pelosi rose to become Speaker of the House, the first woman to ever do so. In this book, Speaker Pelosi shares some warm and friendly lessons she learned along the way, like seize your opportunities, enjoy each phase of life you are in, etc. In a time when we are challenging whether a woman -- or man -- with young children can or should run for high office, it is really interesting to note that Speaker Pelosi did not run for Congress for the first time until her kids ...more
Jen Richer
Know Your Power is the title of Nancy Pelosi's new book. She may be an incredible woman with a remarkable career, but after reading her "Message to America's Daughters" I have to say, please keep your day job. Her power is NOT in writing.

Although written with co writer Amy Hill Hearth, the narrative is strained. From the introduction to the epilogue, the tone is of obligation to women everywhere was to write all 170 pages of how she made it to the top. Well Nancy - this is not required reading.

S
Nadja
this book is the story of nancy pelosi and her rise to power as the speaker of the house of representatives. the easy-to-read but pretty short-cut recapitulation of how this remarkable woman was propelled to the top is doing a disservice to all of the author's achievement. she manages, however, to get her message across: know your power, and do not fall into the pitfall of still too many women, unterrating their possibilites. if the storyline is sometimes superficial and of the brink to being pa ...more
Amber
I was very interested to read a book written by a professionally successful mother where she stated from the beginning that her biggest accomplishment is that of being a wife and mother. Although I greatly disagree with her politics I was reminded of the importance of how we as mother's present ourselves to our children. I believe that there are seasons in life for everything we'd like to accomplish and currently my focus is on my children. Nancy Pelosi seems to feel the same way but mentions wa ...more
AuthorsOnTourLive!
Nancy Pelosi became Speaker of the House in 2007 after serving twenty years in Congress. She and her husband Paul have been married for forty-five years, and she is the mother of five children and the grandmother of seven. When Nancy Pelosi became the first woman Speaker of the House, she made history. She gaveled the House to order that day on behalf of all of America's children and said, "We have made history, now let us make progress." Now, in her book, she continues to inspire women everywhe ...more
Miri
Nancy Pelosi is an interesting public figure, but this book felt very ghostwritten (and not especially well, either). I certainly could have done a better job myself. Not to mention that I accidentally checked out a large print copy, which I never enjoy reading. (Not related: I can't believe how short this book is. The large print edition is maybe half a centimeter thick; can't imagine what it looks like in regular print. More like a pamphlet than a book.)

Favorite points:

"'Never fight a fight a
Katrina N.
Amazingly, I loved this book, even though it is about politics!! LOL. Pelosi writes about motherhood and her faith in God. I like her stories. A++
Barb
I enjoyed this book - it was a very quick and easy read but it was very interestig. I loved reading how Nancy advanced through her roles and incorporated motherhood (with its organizational needs) as a profitable experience for politics. It was also fun to read how Nancy went back in time and mentioned that when she went to Congress, her chair was crowded as she felt that Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Alice Paul, Susan B Anthony and other female history makers were with her.

I plan to adopt two of Nan
Sharon Jones
The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world!
#KnowYourPower
#WomensHistoryMonth
Nancy Spagnolo
I really enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected. For someone so polorizing I had expected a more guarded book which reads like a campaign ad or a book full of fiery political commentary railing against the other side, but it was as frank and open as a political biography can be while the subject is still in office. If you hate her already, she won't change your mind with this book, but if there is a soul out there who hasn't cast their opinion of Nancy Pelosi in iron yet, you might find he ...more
Jill
I was not a huge fan of this book at all. I thought it was going to be a great book for woman-to-woman advice about getting ahead. It was not. It was more of an autobiography for Nancy and not even an interesting one. Sometimes I thought she was overselling her political views. (At one point she says that she didn't buy a house she fell in love with because the reason it was for sale was that the previous owner transferred to work for the Nixon administration and she couldn't buy a house that wa ...more
Julie
I really liked a radio review I heard on this. There were some good sections that encouraged mothering and marriage and women getting involved. However, I was a little disappointed in what I felt were attacks on men, past government leaders, and republicans (I guess I must be one). Also, it suggests that women need more daycare options so that they can be involved in government rather than at home with the kids...wait a minute, I thought she was saying that her stay-at-home mothering was what pr ...more
I felt like she was very edited to make women like her more. It seems as though a woman with this sort of political power does not just have that power fall in her lap as the book seems to imply. I do appreciate the encouragement to women that any small effort helps and we should allude what we can to take part in the politics that govern our lives. I also agree that women need to know their power but that was the title and about a paragraph in the book. Not enough meat to truly be intriguing.
Katie
This story chronicles Nancy Pelosi's experiences from childhood through motherhood & her time as Speaker of the House. She spends much time on the people who have helped to open doors for her, but does not go the extra step to make her unique experience one the reader can relate to through generalized lessons learned. Some outstanding take aways include "timing is everything....don't be afraid to wait and be prepared." and "we have a voice at the table. but we want more [women in office:]."
Paula  Obermeier McCarty
Interesting bit of light reading. While I don't care for her political extremism I do consider her to be a brilliant politician. I enjoyed this book because it seemed to reveal her witty sense of humor about herself. It humanized her for me.

I only rated it a "2" because it was a very quick, light read and the contents didn't seem to match up with the title. It was more of a mini-biography. I liked it but I wish there would have been more to it.
Darlis
I received this book at the California State Democratic Convention. I really enjoyed this autobiography of someone who was a wife & mother who made a career for herself, followed her own family values, and built onto the political career of her family.

I admire her even more now that I have read the book for her abililties and talents that she used to rise to the top in an arena that was not open to women.

And it is a short, good read.
Sara
This was a decent book. I liked reading about Nancy Pelosi's experiences going from a stay-at-home-mom/housewife all the way through the ranks to become the first woman Speaker of the House. For anyone that has any notion of a career in politics at any level, this is a good book to read. Even for Republicans. :) There weren't too many digs at Republicans - you can tell she was trying to write it to be as partisan-neutral as possible.
Joy H.
May 09, 2012 Joy H. marked it as listened-to-partially  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, bland
Added 5/9/12.

I found this audio-book to be very bland. So I didn't continue listening.

The following is from our public library's catalog description:
"Nancy Pelosi, the first female Speaker of the House, provides insightfully inspirational words to women of all ages in this valuable tome. ... Read by Nancy Pelosi."

I didn't find the audio-book interesting enough to continue listening. I wanted to get on to other books.
Herb
Nov 12, 2008 Herb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Herb by: N/A
Great book. Full of insight and good old American common sense. Despite the sub-title, this is not a book geared solely at women. This is a person who knows what she's talking about and is not afraid to share it. There is no "good old boy" bashing; in fact, there is no bashing at all. Just her opinions and suggestions for good leadership. At the crux of this book is one simple truism: Do what's right for the people. Highly recommended.
Valerie Burnett
I found this book to be inspiring and entertaining. The stories weave details about family and political life very smoothly. Clearly Nancy Pelosi enjoys her family thoroughly. Quite a few quirky family stories caused me to chuckle throughout the book. She intersperses quotes and words of wisdom gathered along the way. She offers quite a bit to think about. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Wendy
I admire Nancy Pelosi so much but was so disappointed by this audiobook! I was hoping for some strong words of advice for women and girls from such a powerful woman. I might have even been satisfied if it had been a meaty biography of how Ms. Pelosi worked her way to the top. Instead, it was much too short and didn't really have any substance. I'm wishing for a do-over.
Sonia
I may not agree with her politics or her stance on government, but I really enjoyed the book and enjoyed reading about her life and belief and values of family and service and love of mankind. I'm glad I read it and I think I would like her personally, even if we wouldn't agree politically.
Holly
Was a bit disappointed. Thought it would be more inspirational than it was. I am a fan of Nancy Pelosi's and wanted to hear more of her thoughts, perceptions, advice, lessons learned. The book was more of a narrative about her life and path to Speaker of the House. Wanted more depth.
  • Against All Odds: My Life of Hardship, Fast Breaks, and Second Chances
  • Man of the House: The Life and Political Memoirs of Speaker Tip O'Neill .
  • Speaking for Myself: The Autobiography
  • Life's a Campaign: What Politics Has Taught Me About Friendship, Rivalry, Reputation, and Success
  • Buck Up, Suck Up . . . and Come Back When You Foul Up: 12 Winning Secrets from the War Room
  • Right is Wrong: How the Lunatic Fringe Hijacked America, Shredded the Constitution, and Made Us All Less Safe
  • Leading at the Edge: Leadership Lessons from the Extraordinary Saga of Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition
  • My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62
  • A Question of Choice
  • My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan
  • The World Has Changed: Conversations with Alice Walker
  • A   Vast Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President
  • Beyond the White House: Waging Peace, Fighting Disease, Building Hope
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Memoirs of a Literary Forger
  • American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • Sweet Caroline: Last Child of Camelot
  • Thrumpton Hall
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi is the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives. She is a member of the Democratic Party. Before being elected Speaker in the 110th Congress, she was the House Minority Leader from 2003 to 2007, holding the post during the 108th and 109th Congresses.

Since 1987, she has represented the 8th Congressional District of California, which consists of four-fi
More about Nancy Pelosi...
The Maternal Is Political: Women Writers at the Intersection of Motherhood and Social Change Dream in Color: How the Sánchez Sisters Are Making History in Congress Hidden Casualties: Environmental, Health and Political Consequences of the Persian Gulf War Moveon's 50 Ways to Love Your Country: How to Find Your Political Voice and Become a Catalyst for Change Dream in Color: How the Sanchez Sisters Are Making History in Congress