Start by marking “All My Darling Daughters” as Want to Read:
All My Darling Daughters

All My Darling Daughters

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  384 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews

By the Eisner-winning author of Antique Bakery and Ôoku. R to L (Japanese Style). Yukiko, a salarywoman in her thirties, still lives with her mother Mari. But their relationship suffers a sudden change when Mari announces that she’s getting married—to an ex-host and aspiring actor who’s younger than Yukiko. Yukiko, convinced he’s out to fleece her mom, can’t stand to stay
Published January 19th 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about All My Darling Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All My Darling Daughters

Fun Home by Alison BechdelAnya's Ghost by Vera BrosgolNimona by Noelle StevensonHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton
Comics & Graphic Novels by Women
115th out of 618 books — 684 voters
Black Butler, Volume 01 by Yana TobosoDengeki Daisy, Vol. 01 by Kyousuke MotomiKamisama Kiss, Vol. 1 by Julietta SuzukiAlice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 01 by QuinRoseStepping on Roses, Vol. 1 by Rinko Ueda
Manga Released in 2010
43rd out of 101 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria Shuffit
Feb 04, 2015 Maria Shuffit rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this josei about relationships that adult women have, specifically with their mothers. If I had to choose just one adjective to describe this manga, it would be "tender." Not just in the sense of gentle, loving tenderness, but also the sense of a tender wound that is fresh and hurts with the lightest touch. This book explored some of the bitter, some of the sweet, and some of the bittersweet aspects of the relationships that women have with their mothers and friends. Will it b ...more
Korynn
Jun 17, 2010 Korynn rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Five short stories featuring a mixture of the same characters with a theme of permanence. In the first story Yukiko is introduced as the beleaguered sullen daughter who puts up with Mari, her harsh no-nonsense mother, until she marries a much younger man, Ken. In the second story, we are introduced to Kiyo, a friend of Ken's, who is having a bit of a dilemma with a female student. The third story is about Sayako, a friend of Yukiko's who is considering an arranged marriage. The fourth story begi ...more
Joy
Mar 08, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it
A selection of loosely connected about mothers and daughters, women and their friends. I'm not sure if I'm rating it higher than I should simply because I'm so glad to be getting such woman-centric storytelling. I think I liked the last story--on mothers, daughters, and beauty--the best.

Meanwhile, the downside of reading several works by a single creator: the use of the same character designs & faces in every series becomes more of a distraction with every iteration. Ack.

I can see some older
meeners
Aug 11, 2013 meeners rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
i really want to assign yoshinaga fumi in a class someday, but unfortunately time limitations make it hard to assign tons of manga volumes by a single author. found this while looking around for 短編漫画. i found the individual stories to be rather thin, but i think the last chapter (a wonderfully thoughtful sketch about three generations of women, moving precisely because of its restraint) could work quite well on its own.

(random note: have to admit that the title gives me cognitive dissonance eve
David Schaafsma
Apr 29, 2014 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, gn-women
By the author/artist of Ooku, which is for older readers.more sophisticated, and Antique Bakery, for teens and those in their early twenties. This is manga slice of life for older teens or more likely women in they twenties, mother-daughter stories, five of them intertwined, focused on a young woman in her late twenties, not close to her mother, a cancer survivor, dad dead, and mom decides to marry an aspiring actor who is three years younger than her daughter… there's memorable single panels/pa ...more
Belinda
May 30, 2016 Belinda rated it liked it
A book of vignettes linked by the family of Yukko and Mari. For the most part it appears to work, but I still do not get the sequence with Mr Kiyotaka Izumi in it. A girl who likes to be abused and who gives men blow jobs because she "doesn't deserve sex" (she might enjoy it). I found that deeply disturbing simply because there's no resolution, no connection to anything else in this book except that Kiyotaka is a friend of Yukko's boyfriend. I guess it gave Yukko the opportunity to let Taka have ...more
Caroline
Jul 08, 2010 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, manga
"Knowing, forgiving, and loving are all different things."

Five interwoven tales about the complex lives of ordinary people. It's hard to describe what makes this book so effective, but like a great short story collection, it delivers great insights in a small space. Yoshinaga is incredibly effective at getting to the heart of her characters.

I'd recommend this even to non-manga/non-comics readers.
Meepelous
Dec 25, 2015 Meepelous rated it really liked it
At first I wasn't too sure about this manga, I was really impressed by how the short little vignettes really built on each other. This might be technically a collection of short stories, but there's really no way to read them except from cover to cover. Each new scene giving us a more detailed idea of what being a woman in Japan has meant to Fumi Yoshinaga.

Because that is what this amazingly moving story is really all about. Exploring what it means to be a female to a level that is still uncomm
RoseAdagio
Really enjoyed all the stories except for the second one (not only was it off-putting, but it was unclear how it connected/overlapped with the other stories). Besides that one, I found the characters to be very interesting to follow and felt that this was a good collection of woman-centric short stories.
Reader17 Der
Mar 06, 2011 Reader17 Der rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-read
This was a very nice one-shot volume. The thing I liked about it was the relationship between the Mother and the Daughter. The other thing that was really nice was there was multiple stories but each of the characters tied in with the Mother and Daughter.

The begin starts with the Mother and Daughter and the Father had died. It shows how the Mother is asking her Daughter to pick up her messy room and that she wants a cup of tea. From their we go to the Daughter being grown up and the Mother still
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Connected short stories that explore the relationship between mothers and daughters; remarriage; and women and marriage.

Each one is a gem. I have always loved Yoshinaga's work and her slice of life short stories always touch me differently than her multiple volume stories do. Perhaps it's because few manga artists have the ability to tell a quality short story. I don't know.

I think my favorite story in this bunch is the final one. "I would cry wholeheartedly at your funeral." Geez, that tells e
Klelly
Sep 16, 2014 Klelly rated it liked it
Women in their twenties understanding their mothers as people and the effects of their mothers on theirself. Insecurity and tumult while moving through dating relationships. i thought it might hit closer to home. but enjoyed reading it anyway.
Jocilyn
Sep 29, 2014 Jocilyn rated it really liked it
So... interesting. A short story collection with some overlap. I liked it... but it isn't her best work and the content isn't even really the kind of stories Yoshinaga does best. I'm not sure i get why it was licensed, but hey, why not.
Sandy
Jun 22, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing
I loved this. The art is beautiful, the stories are moving. There are funny and profound moments.

Content notes for mentions of domestic abuse and one dub-con sex situation.
Ruth
Oct 23, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I have always been a fan of short stories, particularly when they're loosely tied together through an anthology. That's just one of the reasons I found myself enjoying All My Darling Daughters. There's also the art, the simple poignancy of the stories, and emotional attachment to the characters that Yoshinaga so skillfully builds. It was easy to find a character to identify with, or to find one that reminded me of friends or acquaintances. She built truly believable characters, which can often b ...more
Rise
Mar 18, 2012 Rise rated it really liked it
Dibaca untuk kelas "Japanese Society through Manga and Movies" tahun lalu. Komik ini untuk dewasa dan berkisah tentang perempuan-perempuan Jepang berbeda generasi. Cerita utama berkisar di nenek, ibu, dan putrinya. Cerita tambahan datang dari teman dari pacar sang ibu. Namun kesemuanya sama, berkisah tentang bagaimana tokoh-tokoh di dalamnya berusaha menempatkan diri dalam kehidupan, bagaimana menghadapi hubungan dengan keluarga, teman, kekasih, dan juga masyarakat secara luas. Ceritanya mengali ...more
Mizuki
Mar 12, 2014 Mizuki rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, pretty-good
Fumi Yoshinaga does not disappoint, is all.
Pomme de Terre
While some stories are better than others (the second still leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth), the first (and last) story is wonderfully written: a subtle, complex, warm and slightly bittersweet portrayal of two women and the mother-daughter relationship between them. I love Fumi Yoshinaga's ability to breathe so much life into her characters in so few pages, and how Mari, to whom I felt a kind of mild dislike in the first story emerged by the end as my favourite character.
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 27, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
Somewhat sappy but ultimately insightful, “All My Darling Daughters” is a glimpse into the life of a family of women, all dealing with everyday life and finding their place in the world. The concept is just slightly “Sex and the City”-ish, but the focus isn’t mainly on coupling and women defining themselves through men. The piece is nicely modern and nuanced, unafraid to challenge norms but sticking with the plausible context of everyday living. Real and smart.
Jennette
Jul 11, 2015 Jennette rated it it was ok
It kinda bored me :( yuck every day normal adult dating nothing to interesting
m_miriam
Nov 22, 2011 m_miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
There is so much sadness in this book, yet it's such a quick and fun read. The interconnected vignettes are an interesting portrayal of gender dynamics and changing relationships; I especially liked the inter-generational storyline. All the 'darling daughters' had a sense of deep melancholy about them; while this mood did not overwhelm the entire storyline, it was a constant presence, which felt genuine to the characters' experience of the world.
Lesley
Apr 17, 2010 Lesley rated it liked it
This is by the author of the excellent Antique Bakery manga. Since this volume was a series of related one-shots, by it's nature it couldn't go into as much detail or build up as a series, but the author's trademark slice-of-life charm was abundant and entertaining. Slice-of-life can often be reeeeeally boring, so it's nice when you find one that makes you fool soothed or interested or intrigued, and this manga manages all three.
Tane
Dec 09, 2015 Tane rated it it was amazing
A very nice read about interactions of mother-daughter, the daughter's friends and the mother-grandmother.
The author depictions of what love is is shown through and I love the presentation.

Mostly I love the mother-new husband-daughter-daughter's husband interaction. So funny yet, so endearing. Even after finished the book, I re-read it again 2 times in 24 hours.

Definitely a keep!
Mangaphan
Jan 29, 2012 Mangaphan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Wonderful standalone manga. Yukiko is the thread throughout the various stories that show women with different choices and outcomes. Dreams are fulfilled; hopes are dashed. There is growth and stagnation. Just like real life. In fact, this is a manga with an odd sense of realism to it.

Above all, it is about daughters and love.

Awesome book that I will recommend to everyone I know.
Barbara
Jul 25, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
One of my favorite manga in general, I'm surprised I didn't add it to my list before. Though Yoshinaga's distinct style lacks in much variation between her characters, her stories are the best part of the book. I especially loved the story of a woman seeking an arranged marriage, though the ending frustrated me (I understood the character's decision, though)
cEe beE
Fumi Yoshinaga is now my favorite mangaka!

All My Darling Daughters is a series of short stories about the dynamics between grown-up daughter living with her mother who later marries a much younger man. We also see life with her friends, her boyfriend turned husband, former classmates and grandmother. It's funny, touching and very real.
Ilib4kids
Oct 27, 2014 Ilib4kids rated it really liked it
741.5952 YOS
Shannon
Sep 19, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, manga
I love Fumi Yoshinaga's storytelling and artwork. This standalone manga tells the story of a few different women who can be traced by to one person in common. Some stories are funny, others are really touching. All of them are really well done. This book is ideal for women in their 20's to early 30's.
Natalie
Mar 29, 2010 Natalie rated it liked it
One of the first full length right-to-left manga I've ever made it through. Yay me. The art and story- five interlinked threads of women making big decisions in their lives- was good, but since it was a contemporary realistic setting, I felt like I was missing a lot of the cultural touchpoints.
Cassandra
Apr 23, 2013 Cassandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Mothers and daughters, the lives of women, explored through loosely linked stories that shift the focus along the way, so it is like standing in a museum walking slowly around the statue, seeing how the theme changes as light and shadow move across it.
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • What a Wonderful World!, Vol. 1
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 1 - Japanese Cuisine
  • Happy Mania Volume 1
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Banana Fish, Vol. 1
  • Aria, Volume 1 (Aria, #1)
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 (Saturn Apartments, #1)
  • Tekkon Kinkreet: Black and White
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
195779
Japanese: よしなが ふみ

Fumi Yoshinaga (よしなが ふみ Yoshinaga Fumi, born 1971) is a Japanese manga artist known for her shōjo and shōnen-ai works.

Fumi Yoshinaga was born in Tokyo, Japan in 1971. She attended the prestigious Keio University in Tokyo.

In an interview, she said that "I want to show the people who didn't win, whose dreams didn't come true. It is not possible for everybody to get first prize. I wa
More about Fumi Yoshinaga...