Start by marking “Revolution” as Want to Read:
Revolution

Revolution

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  509 ratings  ·  45 reviews
World-renowned pollster George Barna has the numbers, and they indicate a revolution is already taking place within the Church?one that will impact every believer in America. Committed, born-again Christians are exiting the established church in massive numbers. Why are they leaving? Where are they going? And what does this mean for the future of the Church? Using years' w ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published September 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolution

David Gregg
Not the best book out there on this subject, but it's okay.

In my opinion, the author doesn't sound like he had passed through the cynical phase when this book was written. But if you can filter that effectively, or if you are cynical enough yourself, then this may be the book for you. It is a mostly deconstructive book, so if you read it and especially if you are going through the deconstructive phase, then remember that you will eventually need to go through a constructive phase. At that time,
Bart Breen
What's Going on with George Barna?

George Barna's "Revolution" is now almost 5 years old and in writing this review I realize that I am late to the party and further I realize that the discussion has progressed beyond this work in subsequent books published. Nevertheless, it remains an important and seminal work today both because of what it has to say and who is saying it.

George Barna is one of the most listened to voices in the organized and institutional church for the past 25 years. This is e
Annette
A very timely read as I have been considering where I fit into the whole church/Sunday morning structure and wrestling with things I have been told by other Christians, pastors and leaders about why I HAVE to attend every week, the same place, be on a serving rota etc.

This book answers those questions and now that I feel free to choose, I'm choosing connection, because it's right for this season of life.

There may be other seasons where I will connect to Church in a different way. So I'm guessi
Thomas Kinsfather
Even if Barna's approach is over-dramatic, his data and ability to read social trends is spot on. The institutionalized churches in the US are becoming less and less effective. Revolution attempts to examine experience, statistical date, and the Scriptures to discover why and what alternatives exist.

Jump to the End: In short, Revolution is Barna defending his decision to embrace home churches and more casual missional communities instead the the top-heavy, big buildinged, traditionalized, social
Wow! This book was awesome. If anyone asked me to hand them a book about where I am spiritually, I would give them a copy of this book. This book so describes me and my family. It was encouraging and reignited my passion to live for God, no matter the cost. I am a revolutionary!
Deborah
Very through-provoking. Don't read if you are happy with the status quo.
Lane Douglas
In "Revolution," Barna investigates the growing reality that more and more people are seeking alternative ways to grow deeper in Christ. Not content to stick with the traditional model of the local church service on Sunday mornings, these "revolutionaries," as Barna calls them, are turning to house-church, cyber-church, and family-church strategies.[return][return]As with any revolution, Barna's book is bound to meet with controversy. The very fact that he named his book by this title shows he i ...more
Matt Black
This was an interesting and quick read. I agree with Barna's study that "there are radical changes that are reshaping the Church in America." This book was written in 2005 and I see some of those changes and shifts still occuring today. I'd be interesting to see if there is a followup study to this 7 years later.
The overall premise of the book is that Barna seems to be noticing that people whom he calls "revolutionaries" are not going to "c" church on Sunday, but are still living a spiritual li
Joshua
George Barna is an inconsistent archer. Or at least that's why I thought after reading only a third of the book.

I was surprised seeing that Barna wrote this book as it looked different than many of his statistically heavy books I've read (or skimmed) in the past. After reading the first several chapters of Revolution, I was slightly disappointed.

Barna describes a new "revolution" of Christians who are becoming the church and not having the church define their Christianity. And although this boo
Aisha
Great little book! In George Barna fashion, there are a few pages of mighty compelling statistics to help build the case of simple church attendance not equalling a Spirit Filled life. Lest we think that once we get someone involved in the local church that is an indicator of spiritual maturity. Not at all! Just as someone could technically not be involved in church yet have a very vibrant and (albeit the rare situation) active walk with The Lord and ministry. The examples he gave rang true with ...more
Rock Rockwell
Oct 11, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
The Beatles' song is better.

Barna's stats are good to show that the "corporate" church in the West will see a significant demise in attendance over the next 10-20 years and a revolution of people independent of rituals and religion will emerge. This is largely due to the church's non-relevance to today's culture, poor leadership, distrust in authority and religious polity, and a host of real problems that have plagued 'the church' over the years.

As much as the Scriptures teach that God wants hi
Ilona
Barna evaluates the current state of the local church, the people.

His findings are not anything new nor surprising parse, he just articulates the present times well and has research, statistics - gathered by surveys, to back it. A surge of people zealous for an intimate relationship with God are forced to leave the local church and be the Church instead.

As he stated the individual reasons for the walk out I found myself in much agreement with him, for I have seen it and cannot deny it. But he
Ron
Mar 04, 2014 Ron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: church
This book discusses the "revolutionary" type of Christian who grows their faith outside of the local church. It is an interesting discussion and I see more and more of these Christians. Barna lists their 7 core passions:
Intimate Worship
Faith-Based Conversations
Intentional Spiritual Growth
Servanthood
Resource Investment
Spiritual Friendships
Family Faith
It is a fairly quick read.
Charlie Brill
Jeff
May 23, 2011 Jeff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No not really.
Recommended to Jeff by: Just wanted to read based on the Hype
Discernment! While there are some good spots of info here and there in this book, what the author is missing "Is" Church. There are so many places in the bible that talks about the "church" as people, as well as the "Church" as a building or place. I choose to hold this book up against The Word of God and follow Christ and His Word. I really don't think God would be leading a "Revolution" of people to leave Church, and not stick around a Make A Difference at the Church they seem to think is "not ...more
Brett
Here, it would seem, is Barna’s self-styled magnum opus against the local church: the church is – in general – a dead institution, ineffective in creating fully devoted followers of Christ. Based on his national polling, Barna is proclaiming a shift in what it means to be a follower of Christ: the revolutionary Christian is one who finds his/her primary spiritual growth outside of the structures and programs of a local church (be it a service club, independent bible study, or other niche group). ...more
Michael
Used research data from his research organization to show what is happening within Christianity today and what we can expect in the coming years. Shows that many people are leaving organized churches because they do not like being told what to believe and do not being expected to pay for multi-million dollar church buildings and recreational programs. It also shows that most people are most effected by Christianity not by churches but by para-church organizations such as women's groups or men's ...more
Angela
Interesting read. I agree with the idea of being "sold out" to Jesus. To live your life with total dedication to him an a kingdom/eternity world view.
There are points in this book however where matter how diplomatic the author is, I am left with the impression that the author dislikes organized religion ie the church.
I am also uncomfortable with the the statement that people should be willing to do "anything" to know God better. This could lead to very dangerous territory. We must compare all
Ryan
A great read. This is the first book that I have completed in a long time. Finally got back in to reading and I am really glad I started with this one. What I loved about the book is that it didn't negate the churches involvement in Spiritual Growth, but reaffirmed it's place in Spiritual growth. The cover seems a bit misleading "Worn out on Church" but eye catching enough to pick it up. This is something that boosted my Faith in Christ and the church that I attend.
Kent
Sep 19, 2007 Kent rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love innovation
Shelves: pastreads
Many people seem to love God and dislike the common church. Interestingly, these people are often the highly innovative, creative, passionate, and committed. Barna suggests that the shape of Christian spiritual worship and development will dramatically shift to a number of non-traditional delivery systems.

Christian leaders are well served to understand the times and know how to respond.
James
Disappointing from someone of Barna's potential. His sociological statistics are sharp weapons in the culture war. This book is not. It sounds like an encyclopedia.

I like encyclopedias. But if I'm plowing through something that sounds like an encyclopedia, I want to look at the cover and see the word "Britannica", not "Revolution"!
Cindy
An interesting look at the direction of the Church. While some of his projections are based on research and some on conjecture, it makes sense that we will need to become revolutionary to meet the needs of the world. Parts of the book reminded me of Crazy Love in that our love for God and others needs to be crazy (Chan) or revolutionary (Barna).
Paul
Barna's research is always helpful, and his comments on the research are sometimes helpful. This book fits into that category, highlighting the urgency that something in the Christian system is broken, or missing, or foundationally incorrect ... or church-centered instead of Israel centered if you want to throw in a suggestion.
Timothy Hall
Interesting, but I think he doesn't pay enough attention to New Testament models of body-life. Surely he's right that the local congregation-in-a-building isn't the only form of New Testament church, but body life must also be more than simply family worship or meeting a fellow believer for coffee at Starbucks.
Chris
I scored this low, not because it's poorly written or unfounded, but more because the information was obvious to me. The seven behaviors Barna says characterize a revolutionary are almost exactly the seven disciplines we try to cultivate among our people at Prairie Lakes. Good, affirming reinforcement.

Bud Hewlett
I'm not a post modernest and there is a lot not to like about the emergent church, but this book simply sets out the way things are going in the church. As a disenchanted church goer this book really scratched me where I itch. I bought three copies and the CD. Like it or not, this is what's happening.
Courtney
If anyone understands the current state of the church,it's George Barna, who has conducted a great deal of research on the church. In this book, he argues that there are many Christians who have given up on church as an institution although they are still a part of the Church as the body of Christ.
Marja Meijers
Whether you agree with Barna's conclusions about the future of the established church or not, this book is a must read for anyone who has a genuine interest in 21st century church culture. The book confirmed many things I see happening every day. It's an eye opener for sure...
Ron
Shallow, weakly speculative discourse on existence of new Christians, Barna calls Revolutionaries who are going deeper in Christian faith outside the church. His daring redefinition of the church is not convincing nor revolutionary.
Rebekah
Jun 28, 2007 Rebekah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the church
An interesting reflection on where the church is and where it's headed. Unfortunately, the writing left quite a bit to be desired. If you can make it through the first chapter, though, you're through the worst.
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • Don't Waste Your Life Study Guide
  • Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church
  • Essential Church?: Reclaiming a Generation of Dropouts
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community: The Posture and Practices of Ancient Church Now
  • Jim & Casper Go to Church: Frank Conversation about Faith, Churches, and Well-Meaning Christians
  • The Misunderstood God: The Lies Religion Tells About God
  • The Last Word: Beyond the Bible Wars to a New Understanding of the Authority of Scripture
  • I Am Not But I Know I Am
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • Repenting of Religion: Turning from Judgment to the Love of God
  • Making Small Groups Work: What Every Small Group Leader Needs to Know
  • Love Is an Orientation: Elevating the Conversation with the Gay Community
32052
George Barna was raised and educated on the East Coast before moving to California in the early 1980s. He held executive positions in advertising, public policy, political campaigns, and media/marketing research before beginning his own company, the Barna Research Group (now The Barna Group), in 1984. The firm analyzes American culture and creates resources and experiences designed to facilitate m ...more
More about George Barna...
Revolutionary Parenting: What the Research Shows Really Works Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority Growing True Disciples: New Strategies for Producing Genuine Followers of Christ The Power of Vision A Fish Out of Water: 9 Strategies to Maximize Your God-Given Leadership Potential

“You either stand for Jesus or you stand for all that He died to repudiate.” 0 likes