Start by marking “Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)” as Want to Read:
Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)

Forest Born (The Books of Bayern #4)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  17,491 ratings  ·  1,908 reviews
Rin is sure that something is wrong with her…something really bad. Something that is keeping her from feeling at home in the Forest homestead where she’s lived all her life. Something that is keeping her from trusting herself with anyone at all. When her brother Razo returns from the city for a visit, she accompanies him to the palace, hoping that she can find peace away f ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Forest Born, please sign up.

Jessica I read them when I was 11.
I read them when I was 11.
There is a little sword-fighting and battling with magic, but not too much graphic stuff…no more gory description than, “He bled heavily onto the stones” or “He was charred.”
There is a little romance, but nothing overly explicit. In Enna Burning, Enna and Razo share a tent and Finn says he has to protect Enna’s honor but there’s really nothing there. In River Secrets there’s a brief bit of suggestive material, but I think it’s pretty PG. It just says that Finn is sleeping beside Enna because she has nightmares, and Razo thinks they’re together-together.
There is not much offensive language. In Goose Girl and Enna Burning they use the word “bastard” and in Forest Born Razo says Enna was “through some hell” but I don’t think he meant it in a bad way. Enna is a little sharp-tongued but her language is pretty PG.(less)
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownAn Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
The "Can't Wait" Book of '09
27th out of 437 books — 2,069 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
83rd out of 1,395 books — 6,768 voters

More lists with this book...

Tanja
Having grown up in a large family I could instantly identify with Rin. She is the youngest agget-kin and just does not know where she fits. So she imitates. How many of us do this? We try to figure out what our parents, brothers, sisters, friends want us to be and we try to imitate that. Rin was grown up for her age of 15. She was introspective and aware that she is not the only one that matters. Very unlike normal teenagers. I enjoyed this book the most out of the bayern series. I feel like I h ...more
Cara
Dec 14, 2013 Cara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Shelves: fantasy, series, 2010, siblings
I don't know why every single time I pick up one of these books I'm always surprised that it draws me in so quickly. After I turned the last page I decided right there and then that one day I'm going to re-read the whole series again, and cross my fingers that Shannon Hale will get the notion to make one more. Though I should add, that really like with the other books it can stand alone and ends well.

For the fourth book of Bayern we get to explore the life of Razo's little sister, Rin. Rin is
Laina
I almost feel guilty giving this five stars after reading Shannon's latest blogs on star-ratings, but I can't help myself! This book... oh my goodness. Let me try to put this into words.

Shannon Hale has outdone herself... again. I cannot BELIEVE how much I loved this book! It was different then her other books... so much more internal conflict. I felt like she wrote this book specifically for me; it's taken such a special part in my heart.

The writing was wonderful. Of course. Enough said.

The sto
Anila
I first read this book years ago, as a galley, and I haven't reread it since. In the interval I've changed my own self-perception a lot, both via the 'normal' self exploration of college and via diagnoses for depression and anxiety - so it was weirdly comforting to come back to this book and remember that, years ago before I realized what was going on in my brain, I read Rin's story as an allegory for depression, and that it still holds true now.

I know there are some people who don't find this b
Josie
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Another Bayern book, which I wasn't really wild about...but then again I didn't love Enna and River right away, so it might grow on me to be a 4 star review. My problem was that Rin was such a non-character, in the beginning. She is quite literally a shadow who eventually takes form. And it's hard to identify with a shadow. I will not spoil the two big twists Shannon Hale has said not to spoil, because that's just mean. I will say that I felt the book had too many cliches, Isi has a baby, baby i ...more
Miss Clark
Aug 18, 2011 Miss Clark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Shannon Hale and Bayern
Lia
Belabored. Drawn out. Page after page saying the same plot piece. Characters re-enacting their same "idiosyncrasies" endlessly--every time they open their mouths. One of the characters was so repetitious and persistent, that I skimmed whatever he said toward the end of the book.

There is also a very strong and frightening co-dependency that is only given a passing nod rather than actually being dealt with. Through most of the book, the main character is addressed in a condescending, mocking, or
Kathy
oliviasbooks
I have to say it: In my personal opinion Shannon Hale is a one-hit-wonder. I truely loved every page of 'Goose Girl', but every other book - with the exception of the middle-grade-targeted 'Princess Academy' maybe - turned out to call for heavy ploughing machinery to get me through. I barely stayed focussed reading 'A Book of Thousand Days', gave up on 'Enna Burning', skipped 'River Secrets' because I didn't own it yet and now abandoned 'Forest Born' around page 88.
There are fairytale elements i
Jessica
New gifts are discovered in this fourth Bayern book, as Rin (Razo's sister) takes the center stage. Things come full circle from Goose Girl, with Isi, Enna, Dasha and Rin fighting an old enemy.
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature. Life's too short to read bad books!

Everyone thinks of Rin as her mother’s shadow. She belongs to a large extended family that all live near each other in the forest and, until recently, Rin has always been her hard-working mother’s helper. She cooks, cleans, fetches the water, helps take care of all the kids, etc. When she needs a little peace, she communes with the trees of the forest. She doesn’t really “speak” w
Valerie
I didn't think I was going to read the fourth book. I thought it was fine with the third one but Hale is a great writer and I really just couldn't help it. Once I started reading Forest Born I remembered why she is one of my favorite authors.

Rin has a secret and a confusing one at that; Rin herself isn't quiet sure what it is. She doesn't know what is wrong with her; she just knows that something is (its fairly easy to figure out what it is). Rin is constantly copying people’s behavior because
Kathryn
Reading Vacation
REVIEW
In one word. MAGICAL. Forest Born is a captivating ending to The Books of Bayern series.
I absolutely loved the way Hale describes the various gifts. My favorites would be water and wind speaking. They are so graceful and are shown as the least destructive. A magical land where some of the people have speaking abilities is like a fairy tale world.
As always, Hale’s characters are well written. Rin’s innocence is what made her special. Although she possessed two powerful gifts, Rin was asha
Jen
Confession: I bought this book only because they rereleased it in a cover that matches the first three of the series that I already owned. I'm not a fan of the new covers. Maybe it shouldn't matter, but it does. If I'm going to spend money on a book, I'm going to get a copy that looks good.

I read this series somewhat out of order, picking up Enna Burning and reading that before I realized it was a sequel to The Goose Girl. (Gold star to Shannon Hale for writing a series wherein each individual b
Nikki
[Advance Reading Copy:]
What's not to love about Shannon's books? Her gorgeous descriptions and page-turning stories keep me up late every time. I can imagine Rin would be a difficult character to write: unsure of who she is and reflecting other people's personalities when she's around them. But I loved her and was cheering for her the whole time. She felt fifteen, and I know I could have related to her at that age. At the same time, I loved seeing nineteen- and twenty-year-olds Enna, Razo, Dasha
Donna
It pains me to give this one star because I love Shannon Hale and all that she has done to make reading fun for kids. I started this book this morning, and even before the morning was over, I was asking myself, "Why are you still reading this?" So I caved and walked away, which must really say something since I have only walked away from one book so far this year.

All I can offer in the way of a review is that it failed to grab me and pull me in. Rin rubbed me the wrong way to the point where I j
Teri
This book rated more with Enna Burning than with Goose Girl and Water Secrets. It could be that it's the fourth in a series (burnout),or that the character wasn't as appealing (shy and mousy),or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood (needs more violence). Just kidding about that last one - I needed a 3rd thing to round out the sentence. Anyhow! It had plenty of girl power and I always enjoy Shannon Hale enough to neglect many chores while I try to finish her books. Enjoyable read.
Candi
I love Shannon Hale books and this is no exception. It's not quite my favorite as much as Goose Girl but still quite good. The characters are strong, the villain is excellent, exciting story line. I did miss a good love story, but... oh well.
Annia Lennox
It’s taken many years, but I’ve finally finished this series. I think I put this off because Rin is a new character and I didn’t have anything invested in her. But I grew to like her and her story. Plus, this really brought together to past storylines and characters.
Although, I did have a few issues. Sometimes, she was a little childish and I would just want her to grow up. And all of the characters made some stupid decisions-both in action and their willingness to just believe what people tel
Kat
Mar 04, 2015 Kat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 5-star
Gosh! How to sum this book up. Razo, Enna, Rin, Isi, Dasha, there's so much to say.
Firstly, how awesome is the fire sisters? Three girls, all who can speak fire. I've always loved Enna, but this book just made me laugh! Her skill known by everyone. How she must have felt.
Also, can we take a second to laugh at Enna being a doting lover? She simply doesn't fit the role. She's too funny to believe.
Does anyone die in this series though? The scene when Razo and Dasha met. That was just too perfect.
Elizabeth
This was originally posted on my blog.

I thought this book was a perfect ending to the Books of Bayern quartet. It addressed something that I thought was very important, but can't say what because of spoilers. But I loved that Shannon Hale saw that something and decided to write a story around it, because I loved that. Gah! It's always so hard to talk about the books in this series because my favourite parts about them are always spoilers!

I really enjoyed Rin. She's much more internalized than an
Emily Michelle
I liked it more than Enna Burning but less than the other two books in the series. As other reviewers have pointed out, Rin is a difficult character to get into. This is necessary, given that Rin herself doesn't know who she wants to be, but it also means that I was bored by the book until about halfway through.

As with all the books in this series, Forest Born features a heroine struggling with some internal flaw or failing, and Rin's was an interesting one: she knows that she has the power to d
Debbie
I enjoyed the underlying humor in Forest Born, but I was confused by why Rin was acting oddly (her reaction seemed blown out of proportion to the events because the author kept some early, critical events deliberately vague). So I didn't bond with Rin in the first half of the book because I couldn't understand her.

When the author finally revealed what had happened, Rin suddenly became a sympathetic character to me because I knew what a burden she'd been struggling with. But by the time we learne
Claire
Oct 27, 2009 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8th grade and up-
Recommended to Claire by: Susan- another fan of Bayern
As noted this is book #4 in the Bayern series- I hope they go on and on each book is a treasure in its own way and can stand alone because of the strength of Shannon Hale's writing. All deserve 5 stars, in this case I notched it down because (its just me I'm sure) had to struggle through Rinna's self loathing to continue reading. Faith in the author kept me going to a satisfying conclusion.

Rinna is Razo's (of the wonderful River Secrets #3)adoring young sister. Her innate talent is to truly unde
Angela
Oct 18, 2009 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Do you ever look at a stack of books and know that at least one of them is probably really great but you just don't know yet that it's really great and you don't want to waste your time on a not-so-great book and so you just don't know which book to choose so you just keep staring at the stack of books and put off reading any of them?

- OR -

Do you ever pick up a book by an author simply because you have loved past books by the author but you don't really know much about this book or you aren't su
Heidi
Miss Bookiverse
Nachdem Enna Burning und River Secrets mich eher enttäuscht hatten, hat mir Forest Born richtig gut gefallen. Ich vermute das Timing hat diesmal einfach gestimmt, zu einem anderen Zeitpunkt hätte ich das Buch auch sterbenslangweilig finden können. Aber dieses Wochenende hat es einfach gepasst. Klar das Buch könnte gut 50-100 Seiten kürzer sein und das Tempo ist wirklich nicht das eines Rennpferdes, aber irgendwie war's trotzdem schön. Der Schreibstil ist ruhig-märchenhaft und als die ganzen Figu ...more
Margaret
Forest Born is the fourth book in the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale. Shannon is one of my favorite author's so whenever a new book comes out by her, I am excited. The first book in the Bayern series was one of my all time favorites , The Goose Girl. I wasn't that excited about the second and third books in the series. I had high hopes for Forest Born and I was not disappointed.

It is the story of Rinna who grew up in the forest in a big family and doesn't know where she stands in life. She deci
Selia's feelings 5 36 Apr 14, 2015 06:30AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 01:56PM
The Nerd Herd: Forest Born 3 11 May 05, 2014 06:00AM
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • Princess Ben
  • The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of "The Ballad of Mulan" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • The Dragon Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #6)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • The Princess and the Bear (The Hound Saga, #2)
  • Secondhand Charm
  • Destiny's Path (Warrior Princess, #2)
  • The Truth-Teller's Tale (Safe-Keepers, #2)
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more
More about Shannon Hale...

The Books of Bayern (4 books)
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1) Austenland (Austenland, #1) Book of a Thousand Days Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)

“I hate them," Enna said. "Whoever is responsible for making me sleep outside without pillows, I hate them."
Mmm-hmmm...," Dasha said. Rin had noticed that the Tiran girl often had trouble remembering how to speak in the morning.
If Finn were here," Enna continued to mumble as she rewrapped her head cloth, "he'd let me rest my head on his chest at night. Or leg. Or arm. And then he'd find whoever was responsible for the whole sleeping outside with no pillows situation and hold him while I kicked him in the shins.”
86 likes
“The to Cathal was battered and only one wagon wide, with swells of hard earth where mud had frozen during cold ad rainy seasons. Enna tripped often, and cursed each time she tripped, until Dasha said, "Enna, you might watch your language."
Enna grimaced. "I was. You should hear my thoughts.”
46 likes