Start by marking “Golden Buddha (Oregon Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Golden Buddha (Oregon Files, #1)

Golden Buddha (The Oregon Files #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  8,805 Ratings  ·  318 Reviews
Juan Cabrillo's first adventure with the Oregon-a state of the art spy ship disguised as a nondescript lumber hauler-takes him and his crew into dangerous waters, as they try to put Tibet back in the hands of the Dalai Lama by striking a deal with the Russians and the Chinese.

Cabrillo's gambling chip is a golden Buddha containing records of vast oil reserves in the disput
Published (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Buddha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Buddha

William
If you take a look at the cover of this book, Clive Cussler's name is clearly the focus of the page, but the words inside are, for the most part, certainly not his words. I know the recent trend of some authors is to allow their names to be used as a launch pad for young and upcoming writers (a la Craig Dirgo) but the Golden Buddha is a great example of why this practice is destined to fail. When I pick up a Cussler novel, I want a Cussler plot: action-packed, detailed, and over the top. And whi ...more
Fred Hughes
Dec 14, 2011 Fred Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of well financed mercenaries, a boat that looks like a wreck but contains high tech defensive and offensive systems and can travel 70 knots a Golden Buddha that weighs 696 pounds of solid gold, a crooked art dealer, two egotistical billionaires and a standoff between the Russians and the Chinese. Stir it all up and you have a romping adventure.

In Clive Cussler’s spin-off series from his Dirk Pitt series he has established another skilful and charismatic hero.

In the first book of the seri
Kandice
Mar 16, 2016 Kandice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just didn’t enjoy this. Don’t get me wrong, I can tell Cussler knows how to weave a plot, it’s just not one I want to unravel. My favorite part of the book is the fact that this super equipped, awesome-sauce ship is disguised to look like a pile of crap. Unfortunately, a small curiosity is not enough to keep me reading Cussler’s books.

I can honestly say I gave him a shot.
সপ্তকা
I gave it a 3 just because there were a lot of characters I couldn't keep track of.

Otherwise, It was a good and a detailed one. It feels good to resume Cussler again. I don't regret my decision. I have complains towards the narrator though. It could be better. I did have a feeling that it would be way more fun to read the original book rather than the narration. I did not have this feeling when I was reading other Cussler books(narration) back in 2009/2010. So, yes a little blame on the narrator
Andrew
Mar 04, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book without being a great book. Being the first book in the series it was a good introduction to the many characters that make up the Corporation. It was interesting how the author tried to weave a real situation into the plot line, i.e. The Dalai Lama being in exile. It has caught my interest enough to continue reading on in the series, especially given the recommendations of people whose reading opinions I respect. I do feel the characters could do with a bit more fleshing out ...more
Antonia
i do enjoy novels where some sort of plan is well designed and executed, you know a la count of monte cristo. also, i listened to another instalment of the oregon files series (The Jungle. Clive Cussler with Jack Du Brul) and liked it. additionally, some good cheap action where the good guys are hot and have guns etc. and show the bad guys that they will never win is some good entertainment after (and before) a good day's work.

that said... this was a bit weak. i really did not like the characte
Teo Hoppe
Cussler is one of the few authors who have NEVER disappointed me and I buy his books day of release without fail. I even liked his collaborations with Dirgo as it always seemed to me to be a Cussler book, UNTIL NOW. I totally agree with the reviewer who wrote that the book just died. Reading about the Dali Lama got me hooked as i thought there would be a few plots going on at once and the Dali Lama part could be quite intriguing. Did Cussler even see the book before Dirgo went to publisher?
I kep
Barbara ★
I liked the complicated cons the crew of the Oregon pulled with elaborate costumes and disguises. Seemed more like a troup of actors than mercenaries. However these guys are mercenaries working for profit though usually working towards a worthy goal. They just work "at any cost" to get their objective completed. Some of their actions were terrorist-like and that was disturbing. They were hired to return the golden Buddha to Tibet and then they volunteered to put the Dhali Lama back in power. Thi ...more
Brenda H
Mar 06, 2016 Brenda H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new Clive Cussler series for me. Different from the Dirk Pitt books I'm most familiar with, this has an ensemble cast. Yes, it still has the classic cars and the detailed technical descriptions, but you don't get the same character building. I am guessing that will happen as I get to know the members of the team better in later books. In any case, it was an interesting, enjoyable read that I would recommend to readers who enjoy action adventure (or as my favorite used bookstore labels it, Men' ...more
Peggy
May 09, 2015 Peggy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is just simply not my cup of tea. I have never read any Clive Cussler. I listened to this audiobook and found it very dry. I kept thinking I should have more appreciation for the research and detail that goes into to this kind of story I just couldn't get excited about it. The Oregon looks like a rust-bucket cargo ship on the outside. On the inside it is a marvel of modern technology. Run by a group of mercenaries, the Oregon is a for profit company of highly skilled ex-militar ...more
Dave
Oct 07, 2015 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the Oregon Files, but its a good think I didn't start of with this full version as my first venture into the lives of Juan and the crew as I might not have returned. The first version I read of this book was a condensed version. Although a few key elements were omitted from this condensed version, it had a more natural flow. I think this book, as the first book in a new series, was OVER written with WAY too much detail and too many characters as well. It was an okay book, but as a ...more
Challis
Aug 17, 2008 Challis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Challis by: abram
Shelves: adventure
This was pretty enjoyable. I loved the idea of having unlimited funds, firepower, connections, disguises, skills, intelligence etc in order to accomplish your "righteous" mission. I thought the book should've ended about 3/4 or 8/10 of the way through. It got tiresome towards the end when the espionage aspect took over. The who is schmoozing who, how to connive and buy votes and hide money and so forth was not as interesting to me as the ACTION.
Lisa
Jul 10, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
The first of a great new adventure series by Clive Cussler, about a "Corporation" that is hired by various conutries to take care of situations for them. The Corporation is extremely well-funded and covert, and pride themselves on only excepting jobs that "right wrongs." This story was about them procuring a golden buddha that had been stolen from the Dalai Lama, as well as helping him return to power in Tibet. It was a fun and exciting read.
Eadie
Mar 13, 2016 Eadie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This was an entertaining adventure read but I would prefer a little mystery mixed with the adventure. The characters were interesting but too many to keep track of. The plot was a little confusing at times but came together in the end. I look forward to check out his Isaac Bell series as I feel I would enjoy that series better.
Brian
Jun 12, 2010 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just meh. A bunch of details and nothing to make the thing hang together. It's like a bad summer blockbuster - here's a bunch of explosions and car chases, pay no attention to the plot please. I just never really cared what happened. Some promising ideas splattered here and there, and some other oddball stuff that never develop.
Jay Schutt
Aug 12, 2016 Jay Schutt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book honestly stank. I got the sense around page 150, but kept going because I have enjoyed so many of Cussler's books in the past. I did not finish this one. Gave up after 250 pages. This was co-written, and I think Cussler had very little to do with it. Just not up to his usual standards like his Dirk Pitt series.
Sara Tuschen
Definitely an action/adventure book. I like character driven stories. There were lots of characters, almost too many, and they were flat. This was disappointing for me. The story was movie-like, a little far fetched, but entertaining. If you are not a character driven reader, you might enjoy this book more than me.
Kathy Davie
Aug 30, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love the mix of people and their approach to life. And all those lovely gadgets!
Ruth
May 22, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. Action packed nail biting fun.
Suzanne Garland
Mar 10, 2011 Suzanne Garland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series.
Shaun
Jan 24, 2017 Shaun rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“Golden Buddha” is the first novel of the Oregon Files that I’ve read, and.. it’s not a good start.

Throughout the book, I felt like I was missing something, as if it was the third book in the series and I hadn’t read the first two; I just felt like… it wasn’t a stand-alone book, even though it’s the first book in the series. Even more than that, it just felt like I was missing out on the plot. It kind of reminds me of Ocean’s Eleven, where all the characters know what’s going on and what the pl
Gregor Eder
I am not sure, who I shall say it. Its a great book with a lot of trickery and technology, which I realy like to read about. There are a multitude of nice Characters with their own Job and Abilities. A party fictional Story about a great Action. But...

... its to perfekt. I really liked the situation, the charakters got into. But, there is no real Problem for them or even if, there is allways a perfect solution. Of course I like a perfect plan as every military/scifi-reader, but in this book, its
Rhonda
Feb 25, 2017 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rhonda by: Found at Good Will
Shelves: fiction
This book was written by Clive Cussler and Craig Dirgo.
I've read many of Mr. Cussler's books, but did not know that this particular series existed.
This is the First Novel of the "Oregon" files.

The book was a pretty fast read, but they kept adding more and more characters as the book progressed, until it started to get hard to keep track of everyone.

I did like what the "Corporation" was all about and the fact that the book at the end followed along a true historical event in our more recent times
Michael
Dec 15, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
If you've read a few Clive Cussler Books, you learn that they are mostly alike, especially the Dirk Pitt series. Good books, but the same basic formula. The Oregon series breaks away from the standard Cussler path, perhaps due to the influence of his several co-authors. The series follows Captain Juan Cabrillo and the clandestine designed ship Oregon through a series of entertaining adventures. I liked them all and I think you will also.
Chris Mcgowan
Jan 18, 2017 Chris Mcgowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Audiobook Jan 2017) - Looks like I found another action adventure author to occupy my commutes with the kind of audiobook I enjoy - action packed. The story was amusing and the introduction of the ship and crew was well crafted. If you like "Die Hard" and "Ocean's Eleven", then you'll like this book - backed into unusual situations there are escapes and team work that boggle the mind.

I did not realize until starting that this author lent his name to others or something like that. Does not matte
Marlene
Feb 08, 2017 Marlene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first third and was not interested enough to finish.
Meredith
So not good. First, way, way too many characters, with almost none of them fleshed out enough to be memorable. There's the Chinese police officer, Po who is ethical enough to keep going after The Corporation for stealing even knowing they've stolen from a man who is shady and questionable. The other is the financial manager who knows the most about 60s music, so steps in to be the leader of a cover band. (That's being used as cover to infiltrate - how clever is that!?)

And among the myriad of cha
Lisbeth Zabihi
Jan 08, 2017 Lisbeth Zabihi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spænding
Man ved altid hvad man får, når man kaster sig ud i Clive Cusslers romaner: spænding for alle pengene. Og "den gyldne Buddha" er ingen undtagelse. Masser af aktion til lands, til vands og i luften. Jeg giver kun to stjerner, for jeg blev aldrig rigtig grebet af historien. Måske fordi personbeskrivelserne ikke blev specielt dybe, hvorimod de mange kampe blev fortalt lidt for detaljeret. Jeg er dog klar til at kaste mig over andre af Cusslers romaner når lejlighed byder sig.
Kate
Jan 02, 2017 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This the first of the Juan Cabrillo series. It was full of action, thrills and heart stopping adventure. I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this to everyone. The characters are well developed (there is a list in the front of the book to help identify everyone). The plot is fast paced and will keep you turning the pages. I got this book out of our local library and I'm glad I did.
Jack Laschenski
Oct 05, 2016 Jack Laschenski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always with Cussler, it starts with history and then goes fantastic!

Edge of the seat.

But the good guys win.
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Death Wave (Deep Black, #9)
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • Clive Cussler
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Sean Dillion, #17)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

The Oregon Files (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Sacred Stone (The Oregon Files, #2)
  • Dark Watch (The Oregon Files, #3)
  • Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files, #4)
  • Plague Ship (The Oregon Files, #5)
  • Corsair (The Oregon Files, #6)
  • The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files, #7)
  • The Jungle (The Oregon Files, #8)
  • Mirage (The Oregon Files, #9)
  • Piranha (The Oregon Files, #10)
  • The Emperor's Revenge (The Oregon Files, #11)

“Readers, A few years ago, while I was writing Flood Tide, I realized that Dirk Pitt needed some help on a particular assignment, and so I dreamed up Juan Cabrillo. Cabrillo ran a ship called the Oregon, on the outside completely nondescript, but on the inside packed with state-of-the-art intelligence-gathering equipment. It was a completely private enterprise, available for any government agency that could afford it. It went where no warship could go, transported secret cargo without suspicion, plucked” 0 likes