Start by marking “Finding It: And Satisfying My Hunger for Life Without Opening the Fridge” as Want to Read:
Finding It: And Satisfying My Hunger for Life Without Opening the Fridge

Finding It: And Satisfying My Hunger for Life Without Opening the Fridge

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  502 ratings  ·  74 reviews
A humorous and highly personal tale of a continuing search for answers to life's big questions, anemotional story crossing three generations
Published October 6th 2009 by Free Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Finding It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding It

Vilo
Mar 14, 2010 Vilo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoir
You've all heard that you should not go to the grocery store on an empty stomach. Well, for me stopping by the library to pick up a book for Dave after a 10-hour work day is equivalent. I ended up with about 5 books for me all grabbed from various display shelves on the way to the reserved books rack. This one was a surprisingly satisfying read (no pun intended). Valerie Bertinelli is down to earth, honest, and funny. She wrote an earlier book about losing weight. This one is about "maintenance,...more
Barbara
Richard Collins
Can a TV and movie personality married to a rock star and living in Beverly Hills lead a wholesome life?

Well, yes. At least in Valerie Bertinelli's case.

Her second and logically titled auto-biographical book, Finding It, follows an inspirational and successful first book, Losing It. Both books tell of her Jenny Craig affiliation. In Losing It she sheds 40 pounds; In Finding It she fights the demons who threaten to thwart her efforts at maintaining her hard-won weight loss.

I bought Finding It ass...more
JoAnn Jordan
This is a very good book about Valerie's adventures in maintaining her weight and living her life more fully. She overcomes obstacles and comes to a better understanding of what her life means.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has struggled with weight or simply with the difficulties of daily life.
Heidi
Dec 17, 2009 Heidi added it
I loved it and I got some good ideas from her. I enjoyed this book as much as her first.
Marsha
Valerie is quite normal for a celebrity and in this book she shows just how normal she is by exposing her insecurities, her temper when she gets upset or frustrated, her disbelief in “how lucky” she has been with her career, and her struggle to keep weight off and in good shape, despite her past struggles to use food to comfort her when she was upset. As a Jenny Craig spokeswoman, she was asked to model in a bikini and Valerie writes about her exercise training and dieting to meet this goal.

Prob...more
Tanya
Nov 12, 2009 Tanya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Others who struggle with weight maintenance
Shelves: 2009-books
Wendy
Losing It was the story about growing up, getting married, getting fat, getting divorced, and finally, getting the weight off, with Jenny Craig's help. There's a good deal of growing self-awareness in that book, some of the self-discovery that's expected in any "how I lost the weight" story; one of the tools of losing the weight is identifying how and why you put it on in the first place, what your triggers and bad habits are, what attitudes you've developed about food and life and self that nee...more
I liked this one much more than the first one (Losing It). I'm not sure why....maybe because this one didn't read like a "Behind the Music" for Van Halen! This one was all aroung more interesting to me; less like a biography and more sharing of her everyday experiences and struggles. Honestly, I'm not sure why I ever picked up Losing It in the first place. I was too young to be a fan of One Day at a Time, and I only had a vague idea of who Valerie was to begin with. After reading this one, howev...more
Erika Jones
Here's the thing. I got this book at the dollar store! Why do some books end up at the dollar store? In the case of this book, the easy answer is the frequent English grammar problems. But why did this book have so many technical problems? Thats a harder question, and I don't have the answer. What I do know, is that I really liked it anyway. I liked it enough, that when my three request books from the library came in, I finished this one first, even though the countdown clock had started on my l...more
Debra
I can identify with Valerie Bertinelli in so many ways. We are close in age, and struggle with weight gain. But, unlike Valerie, my accumulated weight came after several health problems that went undiagnosed for years, and simple exercise alone does not make my pounds fall off quickly. I'm also like her in the fact that I really enjoy good food, and want my eating experience to be worth it. But, unlike her, I am not an emotional eater. And, finally, I know the fear of a bikini. But with me, it's...more
Kellyanne Lynch
It's a little disjointed - particularly in comparison to the first one - but I appreciate the way she talks about what "maintenance" after weight loss means. She also seems as genuine in this book as she did in the last.
Cherri
Valerie was miserable being 40 pounds overweight and losing the weight didn't just change her body, it changed her demeanor, her self-esteem and her outlook on life. I guess, if I were a TV actress, I'd be obsessed with my body too. Luckily, I'm not.
I just finished this audio book today. It was good, but not great. Valerie's philosophy and advice about weight loss are not universal. Not everyone is miserable with themselves because of being overweight and not everyone who loses has all their pr...more
Katie Christian
While I did find this book entertaining for the most part, every once in a while she would just go off on such an odd tangent that it's hard to 'get' at times. She was basically mocking her boyfriend's religion until she decided to have some faith herself. I have a theory that it's something chemical in some people's brains that makes them relate everything to food. I don't believe she was doing it for the book, I think she actually have a different brain process than I do when thinking about fo...more
Tim Chavel
I have been a fan of Valerie Bertinelli since I was a kid watching "One Day at A Time." In this follow up book from "Losing It," Valerie tells how she not only kept the weight off but how she lost even more. This book is more then losing weight and maintaining weight lost, but it is more about her life. I found it very interesting that she seems to be seeking a relationship with the Savior. She mentions several times how she knows there is a higher power and sometimes prays. I know I will contin...more
Erin Martin
Ok I love Valerie Bertinelli. But for crying out, I really could have done without her talking on and on about her political views. That was NOT why I wanted to read this book. I DON'T CARE! And her comparisons to the government and her weight loss were so far-fetched that you could just tell she was only doing it to get her political agenda out there. It was SO annoying. She did have some good points and I learned some valuable things from her. But if I wanted to know who she voted for and why,...more
Erin
Valerie B. is as cute in this book as she is on screen. Sadly, she's also as beige as she is on TV, too.
Tricia Andrews
I didn't like this audiobook as much as her first book (Losing It). This is the follow up on how she has managed to keep the weight off while being a Jenny Craig spokesperson and her new marriage. There isn't as much depth and history in this book. It seems like it was thrown together as a followup but it only covers a few years of her life. She talks alot about her son in this book with lots of personal details of his life. Just what every teenage wants his mom to do. I do like that she read th...more
Wendy Dawn
Not a huge fan of Bertinelli, but have developed more respect with the reading of this book. I recently experienced a huge weight loss and wanted to read her take on life "maintaining."

Realistic and down to earth as you would expect from Bertinelli. She essentially reaches the commonality in many of us who struggle with maintaining more than weightloss, but life.

Humorous and poignant. Worth a read, especially for middle-aged women who are realizing the longer we live, the less we know, but the...more
Shayna
A fun, honest, quick read... Not as great as the first book, but I love Valerie! One problem I found with this book is, if it's that hard for her to get down to a certain weight and maintain it... that's pretty discouraging to the rest of us ~ who are without personal trainers, marathon & bikini goals and Jenny Craig help... But good for her.. she did it and looks Fabulous... although she has always been adorable :)
Patti
Aug 04, 2012 Patti rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I loved this follow up to Losing It - a very encouraging read about the difficulties with losing weight and maintaining it. Valerie Bertinelli shares her personal stuggles with finding the reasons behind her eating habits and how to handle her food addictions through new techniques. Very motivational for anyone wanting to lose weight ... and keep it off!
Tisha
Maintenance. After Valerie loses 40 pounds she wants to keep it off. This is her struggle to keep the weight off. Its has some valid points but the thing I keep coming back to is that she gets her hair done "every 12 days". I am not sure why this bothers me since I have my roots done too, usually every 10 weeks. Glad I read the book though.

Gayle
I just started listening to the audio narrated by the author. Her playful tone sucked me right in.

I liked it but it's a good thing we have so much in common such as age, motherhood and politics.

It was a decent non-fiction listen but I highly DO NOT recommend it if you have a lot of weight to lose or are Republican. I'll leave it there.
Dawn
May 30, 2012 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has dealt with weight issues.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read Valerie's first book "Losing It".
A good read, but I liked her first book (Losing It) better. Valerie shows that losing weight is just not enough to make you happy. You have to be happy in all aspects of your life to be truly happy with yourself. Her take on losing weight and being happy has encouraged me in my weight loss journey that I started in March.
Tara D-K
I love VB! I think she's a little wacky, but who isn't? She's honest, as usual, in this book. I got a little worried with the God/spirituality stuff, but she doesn't push it, it's just her thoughts on finding some kind of spirituality. I found it touching and interesting. I love that she just bears all her soul, warts and all.
Diane
Ok was being kind. I won't be reading any more from Valerie Bertinelli. When she wasn't consumed by the prospect of wearing a bikini she was rambling about her relationship with her son Wolfie. I was hoping for insight and inspiration and got a self-absorbed rant.
Carol
This is a frivolous memoir written after the success of her first book about her journey in losing weight. I could not get interested in reading about her trying to have "the sex talk" with her son. It is entertaining and still inspirational but just barely.
Melissa
This book covers the time in Ms. Bertanelli's life after she reached her weight loss goal, while she was attempting to begin maintenance. The focus is truly on the maintenance where her first book had alot more about her life in general.

Teri Nelson
Valerie show that life can go on and move forward. It's not always easy, but she tells how she couldn't help herself without God and sharing your beliefs can open up doors for other people. In the end nothing can be accomplished without His Grace.
Maria Potts-tussing
Ok so this one was good. Inspirational!! I was hooked and excited and couldn't wait to read more. Then...she admits to having a personal trainer...talk about a let down. I struggled to finish the last few chapters from the disapointment.
  • Found: A Daughter's Journey Home
  • Life is Just What You Make It: My Story So Far
  • The Beck Diet Solution
  • Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)
  • The First Time
  • The Day Diana Died
  • I Had a Hammer: The Hank Aaron Story
  • The Big Skinny: How I Changed My Fattitude
  • Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter
Valerie Anne Bertinelli is an American film and television actress best known for her role as Bonnie Franklin's smart, nice, and lovable daughter, Barbara Jean Cooper, on the long-running television series One Day at a Time.
More about Valerie Bertinelli...
Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time One Dish at a Time: Delicious Recipes and Stories from My Italian-American Childhood and Beyond Sportspower: A Comprehensive Program To Put Power, Speed, And Endurance Into Your Game