Start by marking “The Gingerbread Pirates” as Want to Read:
The Gingerbread Pirates

The Gingerbread Pirates

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  394 ratings  ·  81 reviews
What if a brave Captain Cookie stood up to Santa? A fresh, funny story that sparkles with all the excitement of a pirate adventure — and all the magic of Christmas morning.

It’s Christmas Eve, and Jim and his mother are making pirate gingerbread men to leave for Santa. Jim’s favorite is Captain Cookie, who carries a gingerbread cutlass and has a toothpick peg leg. The capta
Published September 8th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Gingerbread Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gingerbread Pirates

The Library Lady
It takes a lot to come up with an original idea for a Christmas book, but Kladstrup has done it. Pirates! A gingerbread theme that isn't Holly Hobbie cute! Santa as a potential villain--though of course he turns out to be a nice guy after all. And a happy ending.

Only one thing missing. There should have been a recipe for those gingerbread pirates--but would the kids have EATEN them?
Nancy
I have to admit, I had never thought of Santa Claus as a cannibal, but now that I see the world through the eyes of a gingerbread man, I can see his point quite clearly.

This year as little Jim is making Christmas cookies with his mother he has a brilliant idea, since pirates are his favorite thing, why not make gingerbread men that look like pirates.

That evening, as Jim is going to sleep, he wishes that Captain Cookie had a pirate ship.

They must have been magical words since suddenly Captain Coo
Rachael
While looking for a Christmas book other than a Nickelodeon-esque retelling of The Night Before Christmas at BN last night, I found this and knew my littles would love it, and they did! Luckily I enjoyed it too, since they want me to read it every night before bed until Christmas (and probably after as well!)

The Book Maven
Imaginative Jim has a great idea— “Let’s make gingerbread pirates!” he proposes to his mother on Christmas Eve. Captain Cookie, Jim’s favored creation, even has a peg-leg (in the form of a toothpick) and even comes to bed with Jim rather than being set for Santa to eat. But as we all know, animals talk and inanimate items come to life on Christmas Eve. And Captain Cookie, devoted to his gingerbread men, and is appalled to hear that Santa Claus is coming to eat them.

Never fear, for a happy endin
Paige Freeman
I absolutely loved this book! I stumbled upon this story while searching for a different gingerbread tale and I am very glad I did! I loved how this story puts a completely different spin on the traditional tale. I was drawn to this story because of the illustrations and the theme of pirates. I think that my class would be highly interested in this tale and would get a kick out of the captain interacting with Santa. I thought that this story also had a strong opportunity for rich vocabulary expo ...more
Eliot
If your child is anything like my 2-going-on-3 little girl, this will be a hit for you. It combines two of her favorite things--Christmas and pirates--into an enjoyable narrative. One of the attractive features of the narrative is that many pages end on a "cliff-hanger" (such as: "What Captain Cookie saw next ASTONISHED him...") that make it very good for dramatic bedtime reading. (Until she memorized the story, my excitable daughter would follow up these lines with "What's going to HAPPEN, Dadd ...more
Daniel
This book goes to show that when you write a story about gingerbread men, they don't have to be plain. When we think of gingerbread men, we usually picture them with frosting smiles, gumdrop buttons, and not much else. I would've never thought about a gingerbread pirate before I read this book. I kinda wished this was a series of some sort with all kinds of gingerbread men (think about it, gingerbread cowboys, gingerbread aliens, gingerbread policemen, gingerbread superheroes, etc.) I'm sure aft ...more
Alyn
I felt this book was well done. There is a bit of Christmas magic in it.

It's Christmas eve and the captain of gingerbread pirates goes on a search for the rest of his crew. He has heard that someone wants to eat them. Not only does he find his crew, but Santa too. The funny thing is that none of them know who Santa is or even about Christmas. What happens to them at the end of the story is a nice twist. I didn't see it coming at all. My son didn't understand what happened.
Alissa Sparks
This book is one of my favorite holiday books because it makes me see how one can be creative making gingerbread cookies. I find students would like this story and want to go home and make their own. Or if I do an activity in class for Christms, I could have them decorate their own gingerbread houses just like these Pirates. Oh what cool houses would be made. What happy faces all young students would have.
Katie Krimmel
You’ll need your pirate hat and sword for this book by Kristin Kladstrup. It’s about gingerbread pirates made by a little boy named Jim. He decides to save his favorite gingerbread that he names Captain Cookie and he has peg leg made from a toothpick. Late at night when everyone has gone to sleep Captain Cookie comes alive and sets off on a daring adventure to save his crew from being eaten by Santa Claus.

The Gingerbread Pirates is such a fun and adventurous book for any little kid during Chris
Barbara
Just as the Gingerbread Man came to life and rolled down a hill to avoid being eaten, so does Captain Cookie, a gingerbread pirate fashioned by Jim and his mother on Christmas Eve. Jim always leaves a snack for Santa, but he sets aside one cookie that he loves--Captain Cookie, fashioned with a toothpick pegleg and a cutlass at his side. After Jim falls asleep, Captain Cookie goes in search of his crew, intent on saving them from the cannibal Santa. But Santa turns out to be a kindly man, and in ...more
Alexandra
Didn't really care for this one. The illustrations were nice but pirates aren't really my cup of tea and I didn't really get the ending. Was the captain cookie turned into a toy or did the boy just like the toy in place of the cookie? It's weird that a child's book confuses me but like..
Kelly
The Gingerbread Pirates, written by Kristin Kladstrup and illustrated by Matt Tavares, is a perfect Christmas book for boys--or anyone who loves pirates!

When Jim gets the idea to make a crew of gingerbread pirates, he never expects them to come to life. When Jim is sleeping and waiting on Santa to arrive, the pirates, led by Captain Cookie, try to band together so that this mysterious Santa Claus doesn't eat them. When they meet the jolly old man, however, the pirates are in for a bit of a surp
Riley Sorem
This holiday tale is definitely original. Jim and his mom make gingerbread pirates and ;eave them out for Santa. Santa meets the crew and turns them into wooden pirates to be a gift for Jim. This is a cute simple story that is perfect treat for the holidays.
Julianna
Super adorable picture book, also one of my favorites. I love the illustrations, the plot, the characters, everything about it. The story was really creative and funny, and i loved the originality.
Susie
Cute, clever holiday book. I love the imagination. This season I shall be making gingerbread pirates with my grandsons. I know this book will be a favorite with them.
Katie Casey
Yes, a Christmas book in the spring. But it's about pirates and Santa Claus so it's obviously a classic suitable for reading any time. ;-)
Kim
Cute! These are some seriously adventurous gingerbread men.
Shannon Pauley
Absolutely hilarious
Rida
Jill
This was an accessory book for our gingerbread week. :)

It was cute and the kids loved it. The circulation lady at the library said it was HILARIOUS, and while I did not really agree, it was definitely readable and they wanted me to read it every single day. The illustrations were cute, too.

I did have to explain what a "cannibal" was... kind of a weird conversation to have with 6-year-olds, haha!
Lindsey
Jim and his mom are making gingerbread cookies for Santa, and Jim makes one into a pirate (with a toothpick for a peg leg!). He likes his pirate so much that he takes Captain Cookie upstairs with him to bed. After Jim falls asleep, Captain Cookie goes on the hunt for his missing crew and save them from "this cannibal Santa".

Cute story, beautiful illustrations.
Dolly
Jul 01, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about Christmas with gorgeous illustrations and an entertaining narrative that evokes the wonder and magic of Christmas and Santa Claus. I love that the story depicts the little boy baking cookies with his mom; it's a tale that will appeal to both girls and boys. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Janastasia Whydra
Kristin Kladstrup's The Gingerbread Pirates is a sweet Christmas story about how the magic of Christmas and Santa Clause can turn ordinary pirate cookies into special toys that won't be eaten. Good book to read around Christmas time, although there doesn't appear to be much of a message behind the story.
Sandybear76
Avast, me mateys!! This book is a great new Christmas story for all the pirate lovers in your family. The boy and hi mom bake gingerbread men as pirates and they set a few out for Santa Claus. Captain Cookie is left by the boy's bed at night but the Captain goes off to seek out his crew. A Christmas adventure.
Hilary
I am going to make pirate gingerbread tonight (using my own recipe, since the author failed to include one with the story). I may even make a gingerbread ship! I want to read this in storytime tomorrow! (and while Santa may not eat the pirate cookies...that doesn't mean I won't!!!!!)
Bonnie
This is a really cute picture book with a "magic of Christmas" theme. The illustrations are great-big and colorful and finely detailed. A fun bedtime story for the little ones about gingerbread pirates who come to life to save a family's Christmas.
Allison
LOVE IT! Captain Cookie searches for the rest of his cookie crew of Christmas Eve, in a bold attempt to save them from "cannibal Santa." Wonderful ending. Perfect to describe the magic of the Christmas spirit, minus any preachy-ness.
Tricia
Jim loves pirates so much that his gingerbread men created on Christmas Eve for Santa are gingerbread pirates! Delightful story that exercises a child's imagination about Santa and the magical transformations that occur at Christmas.
Mikaela
This is a great Christmas book with a bit of Christmas magic happening. My younger kids love this book and I also read it to about 100 4th and 5th graders and they all enjoyed it as well. I'm glad I added it to my Christmas collection!
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Turkey Claus
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?
  • A Christmas Tree for Pyn
  • Brontorina
  • Little Santa
Kristin Kladstrup is the author of the middle-grade novel THE BOOK OF STORY BEGINNINGS and the picture book THE GINGERBREAD PIRATES. She lives near Boston, Massachusetts.
More about Kristin Kladstrup...
The Book of Story Beginnings Garden Princess A Night in Santa's Great Big Bag Le Livre Des Débuts D'histoires