Start by marking “Lill-Zlatan och morbror raring” as Want to Read:
Lill-Zlatan och morbror raring

Lill-Zlatan och morbror raring

Mini Mia loves her Uncle Tommy. They hang out in coffee bars, go for walks, swim, and do other fun stuff. But one day Fergus appears in her uncle's kitchen. Mini Mia does not want to share Tommy with his new boyfriend. She thinks Fergus should go back to where he came from in Scotland. But Fergus doesn't disappear that easily.

Quirky watercolor-and-ink pictures accompany t
Published (first published September 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lill-Zlatan och morbror raring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lill-Zlatan och morbror raring

First let me say that I appreciate a picture book featuring a gay family member that does not make a "big deal" out of the sexual orientation factor. Mia's uncle is presented as her uncle, that's that, and although he is clearly gay and the ensuing "conflict" in the story involves Mia's coming to accept her uncle's new boyfriend, the heart of the matter lies in Mia's feeling that she is no longer the center of her uncle's attention--it is a jealousy that could be felt by any child of homosexual ...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 23, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I enjoyed this story and its illustrations. I really appreciated that the gay uncle not only is treated as just a fun uncle, but most young kids will not even pick up on his sexual orientation. I love how Mia (real name Ella) and her uncle Tommy are the best of friends and how except for Ella’s interest in soccer, share so many interests and activities. The aspect of the story I think is best and one I think kids can identify with is Ella’s jealousy when someone else comes into the picture, a ma ...more
Krysta King
Very odd story line. Inappropriate illustration. Large conflict with little solution...
Apr 06, 2013 Fjóla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who are not uptight, teaching diversity
Recommended to Fjóla by: 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
The book illustrates how hard it can be to share a special loved one with someone else. I thought Ella's (Mini Mia's) battle with herself here was well portrayed, and although it doesn't talk about the exact same feelings it reminded me of Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse where resentment is handled in a mature way.

I don't share the view of those who think the book encourages bad behavior. In my opinion, being overly didactic with children often misses the mark. Even three to four year olds often u
Sep 17, 2007 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so few good quality picture books with gay characters in them that, quite frankly, it’s a bit shocking. When people come into my library looking for “non-traditional families” it’s pretty much And Tango Makes Three or nuthin’. Any book where the entire point of the narrative is a didactic look at how everybody’s okay is going to suffer. You just can’t make a good story that’s interesting to kids that way. Far better would be to go the route of Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle. Now there ...more
Leslie Sanchez
Oct 29, 2015 Leslie Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, its about a little girl nick named Mia and her uncle Tommy. It’s a good aid or tool to help children understand that same sex couples are as normal as heterosexual couples. It was funny and cute how sassy Mia was. At first I was wondering why the author had included the other uncles that worked in the offices. But later on I noticed that they didn’t seem to love Mia as much as Tommy. The other uncles have disappointed faces when they are looking at Mia, but Tommy has no ...more
May 09, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mini Mia absolutely loves spending time with her Uncle, and this pair does all sorts of fun things together. Whether it is going for a swim, a walk, or to get coffee, Mia and her Uncle always have fun. However, things begin to change when her Uncle Tommy brings his boyfriend over. Mia doesn't like her Uncle Tommy's Scottish boyfriend, and wishes he would just go back to Scotland. This picture book is great for younger children, and great for teachers to have in their class. Often children have t ...more
A book about jealousy.

How much did I love this book? LOTS!

The facial expressions on the child are too fantastic for words. The colour is great. The humour in both text and image is delightful.

It has the same kind of storyline and function as the classic, 'Naughty Agapanthus'; one of my favourite books. This is a very reassuring shape for a story for children of a certain age. It tells them very clearly that even if you are very, very naughty, your family still loves you and it will be alright.
Sara Jones
Mini Mia loves her eccentric uncle and the time they spend together. Then Uncle Tommy gets a 'roommate' and Mini Mia rebels against having to share her darling uncle with boring old Fergus. Uncle Tommy is, obviously, gay... in an amusing but very stereotypical way: "I like meat loaf fine. But Tommy prefers sushi." Tommy is also terrible at sports, is cultured, frequents the opera and does hair. Whatever... bout as good as it gets at present. (Fergus IS good at soccer, if that helps at all.) I he ...more
Tommy is Mia's favorite uncle. They do lots of fun things together such as dyeing her hair and people-watching. One day Tommy has a new friend from Scotland, Fergus. Unfortunately, Fergus appears to be horning in on Mia's time with her uncle and she resents the shift in dynamic. When Tommy isn't feeling well, Mia reluctantly plays soccer with Fergus (who, as opposed to Uncle Tommy, can actually play soccer). It goes unsaid in the story but it's apparent from the illustrations that Mia has accept ...more
Sep 10, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a little girl who loves her Uncle Tommy. He is her favorite. They do everything together on Saturdays, just the two of them. One Saturday, when Mini Mia goes to Tommy's house, there's a random guy sitting in Tommy's kitchen named Fergus. Fergus spends the day with them. Mia does not like this. She wants all of Tommy's attention. The next weekend, Fergus is there again! Mia does everything she can to ignore Fergus.

You know how this one goes. Eventually, the two of them bond ov
Erica J
This story is very comical. Ella aka Mia has a hard time accepting her uncle's new friend fregus. She tries her best to ignore me even though he's around all the time. The illustrations are brilliantly done. However, there is one illustration I feel pushes the envelope. I'm not quite sure I'd feel comfortable with the book in my class because of it. The illustration shows Ella getting dressed at the pool, and it's like a nude cartoon scene. Additionally, the relationship between her uncle Tommy ...more
The illustrations were quirky and funny, and Mia's shenanigans will keep kids giggling. Yes, Uncle Tommy is gay and has a new boyfriend, but this is never explicitly said. I'm not sure a child would pick up on it at all. If they do, great--this is a good book to utilize to talk about tolerance and new family members. If they don't, or if their parents don't want them to, then Fergus can just be Tommy's friend who is visiting from Scotland. Again, this is a book I frequently see on challenged mat ...more
This title presents characters in a same-sex relationship (vastly under-represented in the picture book realm)--as the story unfolds of Mia, who is jealous of her favorite Uncle's relationship with Fergus. Presented with humor both in text and illustrations, the reader clearly feels the jealousy of Mia as she yells that Fergus should just "go home to Scotland!" so that she may have all of her Uncle's attention again. In the end, their common fondness for Uncle Tommy helps them come to terms.
Sep 29, 2011 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, k-6, lgbtq
Mia's dislike of her uncle's boyfriend is something that I think most little kids can relate to, whether it's dealing with a sibling's new best friend or a parent's new significant other, and this book could be a really useful tool in helping kids work through those feelings. The ways she acts out are pretty funny, and the illustrations suit the style of the story well. I wasn't crazy about the Americanization/translation of the story, though; it seemed really clunky to me.
The book was very humorous, the author kept the reader's attention and successfully grasped the attention of many different age groups as well. Mia's personality grasps the readers attention with her child-like honesty, and her struggle to share someone she loves. Because this is a reoccuring, common theme in daily lives, the reader may share a common understanding with the way Mia feels.
Jessica Lopez
I was not fond of this book, but my girls loved it and insisted that I read it every single night. I have to give the author credit for creating two male characters that are a couple without making it the storyline. As an adult, I wondered if they were a couple, but it was portrayed in a way that children would not even question it, it was normal. Like it should be.
A touching story of a young girl who does not want to share her favorite uncle with his male companion. The dialog seems believable and expresses the mindset of the young girl who eventually is made to appreciate her uncle's friend.

International Author (Sweden)--translated into English by Elizabeth Kallick Dyssegaard
I only recommend this one, really, to kids who have gay relatives. It's not that great a story, and the girl is kind of a brat. However, to have a gay uncle in a picture book, not explicitly say so, AND to have the gay uncle alive and well rather than dying or dead of some horrible disease? Priceless right now.
Jul 10, 2010 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A sweet simple story about a girl and who favorite uncle. It's pretty clear here that the uncle is gay and Mia objects when he brings a new friend around, but what's great is that's not the real issue - it's about a little girl getting comfortable with someone new - not homosexuality. A great addition to the field!
Amanda Day
Cute book. Character is very relatable, funny, and has a great personality. Also has subtle hints towards a homosexual relationship that her Uncle has, this could help students that do have similar situations in their lives understand that they are not the only ones.
Shelby Holloway
Adorable book, Mia learns about sharing, she learns how to give people a chance and she learns that people aren't always as bad as yopu think they are. Super funny as well.
Lisa Bricker
May 29, 2013 Lisa Bricker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
So very accurate! Mia's reactions are spot on for a kid who's feeling displaced. And the mens' relationship is handled so matter-of-factly--the story is about Mia, not them.
Jan 26, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Mia is jealous when her favourite uncle gets a new friend. A great story about jealousy but also nice to have gay characters that are not the whole point of the story.
Amanda Monaghan
Aug 23, 2012 Amanda Monaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I thought this book was really funny! Mini Mia is dramatic and she is always wanting attention! I think this would be a great book to share with kids of any age.
Ella AKA Mini Mia is not down with her Uncle's new implied boyfriend. She likes to have him all to herself. After a few small scale tantrums soccer builds a bridge.
Erin Mcneil
Aug 22, 2012 Erin Mcneil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very cute book that introduces a topic that many children know about, but may not be accepting of. This is a great way to show this through a story.
QuaNiyah Cooke
Perfect book for a family with a new baby or new family member moving in. Teaches children about sharing in a realistic and very relatable way.
Ashley Seigal
May 09, 2014 Ashley Seigal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good for diversity and multiculturalism!
Aug 08, 2016 Jynx73 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not appropriate for children. I came across is while reading books to my four year old daughter in a public library. I stopped reading it about half way through when "Mia" the female main character was depicted in a men's locker room with an illustration that features the naked buttocks of an adult male. Who does this in a book for CHILDREN? If a book for children is going to feature illustration of adults exposing themselves there should be a warning. This book needs to be removed ...more
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • The Bicycle Man
  • Blackout
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)
  • Very Last First Time