You and Me Together: Moms, Dads, and Kids Around the World

You and Me Together: Moms, Dads, and Kids Around the World

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Award-winning author Barbara Kerley has written a charming, heartwarming book about parent and child togetherness worldwide. You and Me Together is ideal for reading aloud with children to explain and reinforce the bond between moms, dads, and kids everywhere. The pages are illustrated with gorgeous imagery from National Geographic’s stunning archive, capturing the univers...more
Published April 1st 2005 by National Geographic Children's Books

Kathryn
The premise of this book is wonderful. It tells the story of what a parent and child do together throughout the day and the accompanying photographs show that this is not just one parent and one child do together, but parents and children around the world. The diversity here is just wonderful, the photographs beautiful and touching, some poignant and some charming and humorous. In the back of the book, the country and situation of each photograph/subject is explained and there is a world map to...more
Randie
Kerley, Barbara. (2005). You and Me TOGETHER. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Society.

Annotation: For children in preschool to second grade. This book brings everyday moments between children and their parents to life with its fun text and real-life photos. The text throughout the book is short and is ideal for beginning readers, while the variation in the text is a fun way to attract the reader to the words. The large colorful photos allow readers to see how children are similar and diffe...more
Dolly
This is a wonderful book of pictures of parents and children spending time together all over the world. The narrative is short and sparse and really helps to convey the simple joys of just being together, doing the everyday things that we do. The photographs are gorgeous and help to show different cultures all over the world, but it also shows that we all love our children and enjoy spending time with them. We really enjoyed reading this book together.

Note: It was late last night and our girls...more
Jenny
Love the photographs and the way that family life around the world is presented...in just a few words but focussing on the commonalities we share. Somehow, though I think it is an important message, the note by Marian Wright Edelman seemed a little depressing...not in the spirit of the rest of the book. I agree with her comments, but just found the tone different from the words by Kerley and the amazing photographs.
Barbara
All across the globe, families spend time together engaged in the simple pleasures of life, and this photoessay does a wonderful job of capturing those moments. Mothers and fathers may share a laugh, a musical moment, a nap, a walk, a meal, or even a prayer, and all is well, provided that they are together. The photographs are often large; for instance, a double-page spread of a mother and daughter in Kyoto, Japan, shows the girl's face, and her fingers clutching her mother's one finger, joy spr...more
Rachel
A National Geographic book depicting mothers, fathers, and their children from around the world (including the US, Iceland, Saudi Arabia, China, Thailand, Bhutan, Japan, India, Uganda, Canada, Tanzania, Italy, Suriname, Indonesia, Brazil, Papua New Guinea, Guatemala, Germany, and Australia) doing ordinary things that children all over the world do, including taking a walk, holding hands, playing with a pet, playing on the swings, fishing, etc. Easy text and large color illustrations demonstrate...more
Morgan
I absolutely loved this book. It's pictures were so cute and the story was touching. Gave you a world-like awareness and so tender. Unique, sweet, and a good read for anyone. Photography is exceptional and words are simple.
Lin Lin
In early childhood education programs, if we could focus on cultural universal concepts, such as food, shelter, clothing, family living, childhood, etc., children will learn to appreciate the universal and diverse features in everyday life of different people around the world. This book can be used in this effort.
babyhippoface
Terrific picture book from the amazing photographers of National Geographic featuring scant words alongside beautiful photos of parents and their children living their lives in areas all around the world. Just lovely. Great for PreK and Kindergarten studies of families and homes around the world.
Matthew
I liked the book. The text was minimal, and the photography was great. The last page had a message from the head of the Children's Defense Fund that seemed a bit preachy for my tastes, though protecting children is a noble pursuit. All in all, it was a nice book.
We just got a new copy of this book in our branch. It is another good book for the summer reading program this year, it illustrates how families all over the world share the world together. It is very simple and would work to read in toddler storytime even!
Kim Upton
This was a fantastic book that introduces children to other cultures. The premise of the book is that we all have parents, no matter who we are, or what part of the world we in habit. The photos were captivating and stunning. Good book all around.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
The book represents special moments shared between children and their families.Children participated in different activites with their families such as cooking, playing holding hands.
These activities are done by children all over the world.
Kim
The repetition of phrases and simple word choices make this read poetic. The accompanying photographs accentuate the text and are stunning. Complete with indexes for reference of the global scope.
Paula
Beautiful pictures tell the story from children and there parents all over the world. Not mentioning the different countries but showing that life can be the same no matter which country you live in
Cheryl in CC NV
Beautiful. Not my favorite of the type, somehow, but whether or not you have a child to share this with, if your library has a copy, borrow it.
Ms. D
It's a National Geographic book, so of course, there are beautiful photographs of parents and their children, from all over the world.
Becca
I don't think the goat held by the little African boy would be a "pet"--more likely raised for milk, then meat.
Maureen
Another well done picture book of families around the world.
Lindsay
families, fathers, mothers, diversity
Christine Turner
Would work for storytime.
Ecl  Storytellers
Ecl Storytellers marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Barbara Kerley was born in Washington, D.C. and has lived in many places, including Seattle (in grad school), Nepal (in the Peace Corps) and the tropical island of Guam (in her bathing suit.) She has written about almost everything: 19th C iguanodons, Teddy Roosevelt, world peace, Mark Twain's donkey, and the simple pleasure of a nice cool drink of water. Visit her website to meet her dog.
More about Barbara Kerley...
What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy! The Dinosaurs Of Waterhouse Hawkins The Extraordinary Mark Twain (According To Susy) Those Rebels, John and Tom One World, One Day