Start by marking “Forbidden (Bartlett Brothers #1)” as Want to Read:
Forbidden (Bartlett Brothers #1)

Forbidden (Bartlett Brothers #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,366 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Caught in a Montana snow storm, Kayla is rescued by Cal Bartlett, the brother of the man who'd wanted to marry her. But she didn't discover that until too late--after they'd kissed by a roaring fire and Kayla felt a desire she'd never known.
MP3 CD, 1 page
Published December 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden

This was a great read, although originally published in 1997 and just 245 pages, Brockmann still manages to spin a surprisingly deep adventure story. Our hero here is a true-blue Montana cowboy, that doesn’t stop him however from going all Troubleshooter-ish in the hunt for his imprisoned brother. Throw in a corrupt foreign government, assorted spies, bad guys and a heartbreaking romance, that although doomed from the beginning exudes so much sexual chemistry you just gotta hope, maybe, somehow… ...more
3.5 Stars!!! ***Audiobook***

This was a good audio listen.

Two years after Cal's brother's death, Kayla, his brother's ex-fiance has traveled from Boston to Montana to ask for Cal's help because she has reason to believe that he is still alive.

What ensues is a thrilling romance with some adventure and a surprising love connection.
it read like a B-rated movie. the thing is: i like B-rated movies.

Kayla was told her fiance had died in a foreign war-torn country. nearly two years later, she hears a rumor this may not be true. so naturally she does what any 20-something single gal would do - she goes out in search of her fiance's older brother, to ask for his help to find the brother he thinks is dead - even though she's never met him.

lost in a storm, she is rescued by a cowboy. he digs her from the sod, where she has buried
This is another one of SB's that kind of snuck up on me, yet I think it turned into one of my favorites. There is just something about a cowboy.

Kayla Grey is in Montana on a mission. She needs to find the brother of the man that asked her to marry him before he left the country and was killed. Before she can really look for him she is caught in a storm while out walking, and burrows into the sod to keep from freezing.

Cal Bartlett gets a call one night just as a storm is hitting, that a tourist
3.5* rounded up for goodreads.

Reviewed for Speaking of Audiobooks Column on All About Romance 5/1/12.

Before Suzanne Brockmann achieved fame for her Troubleshooter series, she wrote other series and stand-alone books. Most were on the short side (250 pages or so) and have a lot in common with other category romances. Forbidden is one of these titles published in print in 1997 and released in audio in 2007. I enjoyed the print version when I read it several ye
This was a very fast read about a sweet story.

Kayla is finally able to face the brother of the man that asked her to marry him, the only catch is that Liam died 2 years ago. While in Montana working up the courage to see Cal, she is out walking and gets stranded by the weather. And who should come to her welcome, but Cal. Neither one knows who the other one is and sparks fly. But then the truth comes out, Liam may not be dead and Kayla needs Cal's help to try to find him.

Cal finds himself stun
Well, I'm happy to say that I'm glad Brockmann moved on from writing category romance. This was a fun read, but it's pretty well steeped in genre convention. The hero and heroine spend an inordinate amount of time just pining for each other, such that even when their lives are in danger, they're still all, "wow, s/he's so sexy!" Plus there was a general lack of suspense, since I knew the book had a sequel, so I knew how things would pan out. Still, it's a fun, quick read with a little more depth ...more
It was an ok book. A little too predictable.
Deb F
Lost 1/2 a point for the horse!

Mi(Kayla) Grey goes for a walk shortly after she arrives from Boston to Asylum, Montana, and gets caught in a storm. She's rescued by Calvin Bartlett. Kayla has arrived because she has information which leads her to believe that Liam, Cal's 10-years-younger brother, who he basically raised, is still alive. Liam had proposed to Kayla just before he left on a journalistic assignment two years before.

When Cal finds her, there's an ice storm, that becomes snow. She's
This is my monthly Wendy Super Librarian challenge: to read an author who has more than one title in the TBR pile. I took a look and found I had a few Suzanne Brockmann books--some of her old ones. I cut my teeth on her Prince Joe and discovered the Navy Seals, devouring each book as it came out when they were good old Harlequinn-style reads. Now, her books are longer, more serious, and really intense so I was happy to discover this one. Kayla and Cal are a great team and I really like the actio ...more
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
Genre Contemporary Romance

MC1 Cal Bartlett
MC2 Kayla Grey

Kayla travels to Montana to tell the brother of the man who had asked to marry her then had been reported killed during an investigative reporting mission to a small war-torn country that he may not be dead after all, but she gets lost. Then she finds out the man who rescued her & kissed her was Liam's brother. She & Cal travel to San Salustiano to look for Liam to find out if he's really alive.

First Cal believes th
Kayla Grey travels to Montana and is caught in a snowstorm, only to be saved by the very man she came to see. Cal Bartlett is the brother of the man who'd wanted to marry her. Now she is here to tell him that his dead brother may not be dead after all. Cal doesn't want to be drawn to the woman his brother loved. Now she is insisting that he might be alive and asking Cal to join in a dangerous search. Cal hopes if he finds his brother, his feelings for Kayla won't tear them apart.

Fast moving stor
Tonya Warner
Kayla Grey is rescued by one other than the man she was in search of. Cal Bartlett is the older brother of the man that had asked her to marry him before he went off and got himself blown up and killed. Now, she believes he is still alive, just held prisoner.

Cal Bartlett has finally come alive after two years of believing his brother is dead. Can he believe he is really alive? Can he keep his hands away from the woman that he believes his brother loves? Can his heart survive.

A nice story.
This is the first book I finished of 2012 and I'm hoping it doesn't set the tone for the year! The audio book was well rated on my library's website so I downloaded it. When it appeared that the characters were going to sleep together within the first ten minutes, I started to wonder if the high rating was simply because this book was the closest thing to erotica my library stocked! But don't worry, the characters respectfully wait until the last quarter of the book to have sex.

There are more c
So there's a guy and a girl. The guy goes off to some war-torn country to report on said war, gets himself killed and girl is heartbroken. But is he really dead? When girl finds evidence that he might not be dead and pays guy's brother a visit so he can help, girl and the brother fall madly in love - except they can't b/c that would dishonor guy's memory... Ooh, the drama!!! ;) Lots of slightly unbelieveable action and steamy romance but a fun read overall. :)
A run-of-the mill romance, nothing surprising or interesting about this book really. The characters were one-dimensional and their development seemed forced and unreal. Never really understood why Cal took Liam's death so hard, why he denied himself feelings and joy and relationships because of it. Neither did I understand why he changed and suddenly fell for a girl he rescued in the beginning. It was as if all the interesting character development happened BEFORE the book?? Not worth the money, ...more
In Suzanne Brockmann's Forbidden, the first installment in the Bartlett Brothers romantic suspense series, she beautifully told us a love story with an awkward love triangle story twist. When Kayla Grey traveled from Boston to Montana, the last place she expected to be was huddled up in the middle of a snowstorm. And the last person she expected to rescue her, Cal Bartlett, was the very person she wanted to see, the brother of the man she wanted to marry. But she didn't know that, until it was t ...more
Some of the writing is excellent, especially that depicting the delicate nuances between characters. The story line was fun and the female protagonist is also fun -- a lively, normal, intelligent woman.

BUT, the some of the scene development is a poor second -- especially bloated sex scenes that slow down the story, rather than add the enticing love interest that can be fun. Actually, the author seems to have the ability to get a sex scene right, but then leaves it too wordy and over-explained.
Suzanne has always been a favorite author of mine and her story telling is just amazing. In this story Kayla tracks down Cal because she believes his brother is still alive after being captured on assignment overseas. It just so happens the brother is the quintessential hero on horseback come to save her from a quiclky descending snowstorm. Did I mention the brother proposed to Kayla? Well that doesn't sit well with Cal, especially since he can't help but find Kayla attractive. Read this book, n ...more
Lisa Lap
This is my first Suzanne Brockmann novel, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for cowboys, and apparently so is she. ;) This was a quick read that moved a good pace and kept the romantic and sexual tension building at a believable rate. For a relationship that seemed to be forbidden, I still found myself rooting for Cal and Kayla to get together - even while hoping they were successful in rescuing Kayla's presumed dead boyfriend, also known as Cal's younger brother, Liam. The ...more
Maybe audio books are not for me or maybe it's bad books on audio. This was horribly cheesy and just overall bad. There were story gaps and so much above and beyond cheesy moments that I was constantly rolling my eyes!
A good book. It kept me entertained, but I think with all the stuff going on with finding Liam it should have spanned a larger period of time. While the romance happening that quickly didn't bother me to terribly much with the unsure state of Liam being alive or dead it made it seem quick. Although under the circumstances I think I could have gotten past that. But the kind of information they needed to find someone being held prisoner by a corrupt foreign government I'm sorry, but all the inform ...more
T.M. Carper
William "Liam" Bartlett always relied on his older brother to help him. Since their father died, Cal raised him, even paying for his college tution while working on the ranch. Liam is killed in a bus bombing in worn-torn San Salustiano. His body is never recovered.

Kayla, Liam's sort-of fiancee, doesn't believe Liam is dead. When rumors reach her that point to Liam being alive, she tracks down Cal.

Together, they fly to San Salustiano in search of the truth behind Liam's death, all while trying to
Kimberly Morris
This wasn't a bad book. It was interesting and kept my attention well enough. The characters aren't bad and the plot was good. I liked the way it all ended.
A nice, medium to fast-paced love and adventure story where the "good" guy does get the girl, just like you were sooo hoping. We need more good guys.
It's quite ok, but not fantastic. More like a 2.5 for me.
I really liked the beginning of the book, which had a lot of potential with two characters feeling a deep attraction for each other, despite being convinced they should not and their going to a small country plagued by civil war to find the hero's long disappeared brother. Unfortunately the story did not fully deliver;it felt rushed at time, the whole plot behind the search for Liam was not as captivating as SB's later romantic suspense. A
I enjoyed, I think I would have enjoyed more if I had read it instead of listened to it. I do want to jump into the 2nd book.
Cal Bartlett's half brother was reported killed in a war torn country. Cal has mourned his death for 2 years when all of a sudden Kayla Grey shows up at his ranch saying his brother is alive. Kayla is strongly attracted to Cal but he realizes she is the girl his brother proposed to. However, Kayla tells Cal there is a strong possibility that Liam is alive and together they go to find him. Kayla and Cal fight their attraction for one another because Cal believes he is betraying his brother and Ka ...more
Found this on my shelf and may have already read it, but not bad.
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • Night Shadow (T-FLAC, #14)
  • Too Far Gone (SEAL Team 12, #6)
  • Willing Sacrifice (Sentinel Wars, #8)
  • The Highlander's Desire (Highlander Brothers, #2)
  • One With the Shadows (Companion, #5)
  • Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
  • To the Limit (The Bodyguards, #2)
  • Her Outlaw (Bad Luck Brides, #7)
  • Code of Honor (Special Operations, #1)
  • Phantom Waltz
  • Mackenzie's Pleasure (Mackenzie Family, #3)
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married with Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romanc
More about Suzanne Brockmann...

Bartlett Brothers (2 books)
  • Freedom's Price (Bartlett Brothers, #2)
The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1) Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4) Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6) Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)