Start by marking “Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 2

Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 2 (Nightschool: The Weirn Books #2)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
When Alex's sister, Sarah, vanishes and all memory and evidence of her existence is erased, Alex is determined to get to the bottom of her sister's disappearance. What better place to start her investigations than the Nightschool itself? But when she discovers that sneaking into the Nightschool isn't as simple as it might seem, Alex enrolls as a student. But is she prepare ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Nightschool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightschool

Miriam
Aug 24, 2014 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, graphic, school
I enjoyed this and was planning to give it a higher rating until I went to order the next volume and saw that the series ends at books 4, which means this book ends halfway through the story -- which is absolutely not how it feels reading it. This reads like something still beginning; the setting and world-building are still going on and we're still being introduced to the characters and the supernatural types. It's good world-building, but way too rich for such a short series. What a waste. I'v ...more
Sarah Hayes
Jul 08, 2010 Sarah Hayes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
Originally posted here at Anime Radius.

Yen Press, in my mind, has always stood for quality works: Zombie-Loan; Time and Again; Black Butler – and now this, Nightschool, an OEL manga by Svetlana Chmakova in which magic and dark mischief rule the day – err, night. When the sun goes down, that’s when the real fun starts – but in the series, that’s when all the troubles start too, especially for our heroine Alex who is forced to infiltrate the spookiest school on the planet to save her vanished sibl
This volume is more linear than the first one, with part of it being Alex's introduction to the Nightschool, and the second part focusing on action. It's still engaging, funny at times, and has great art.

(Grumble, grumble. The library doesn't have volumes 3 and 4 :/ )
Jessie Radford
Jan 14, 2013 Jessie Radford rated it it was amazing
As soon as I finished the first one I had to pick this one up right away and keep reading. The story and characters are just that great. It seems like everyone in these mangas have a secret that their hiding from everyone else. It makes you want to keep reading just to find out what i may be.
Kendra
Jul 16, 2011 Kendra rated it really liked it
Alex, still searching for her missing sister, Sarah, enrolls in Nightschool in order to look around where her sister was night keeper.

I love the artwork here and would read this series even if the story wasn't good. But, this series has an excellent story as well. I'm intrigued with the odd characters and strange occurrences in the Nightschool, as there are plenty of mysteries here. I'm sure the next volume will have Alex and Mr. Roi interact and I can't wait to see that. B rating.
Jessica
Aug 07, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
The weird just keeps getting weirder. Sarah has disappeared and no one even remembers she ever existed. Alex is having memory loses. Three Hunters have had their time stolen from then. To top it all off, the super hot Mr. Roi keeps refusing to show-up to teach his classes!
Penny Raspenny
May 04, 2015 Penny Raspenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga
The story is very interesting, the characters are fascinating and the drawings are A-mazing! I don't know why I'm not giving 5* yet. Maybe I'm waiting for some good answers first. I'm falling in love with the characters though!
quinnster
Jan 18, 2012 quinnster rated it it was amazing
Talk about a cliffhanger! I'm loving this even more than I did in the beginning. I love the astrals, especially Alex's.
Lara
Mar 29, 2010 Lara rated it really liked it
I really like this series! The characters are very well-developed and interesting, the story seems fairly complex, and I really like the art as well. I'll keep reading.
Hope
Aug 20, 2011 Hope rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm enjoying this story - my only problem with manga like this is that each book is so short and the story goes slowly b/c there isn't enough room for more.
Laurel
a great addition to the nightschool series. Can't wait to get started on the next one!
Werewolf☆Vi☆Iran♥
Jun 27, 2010 Werewolf☆Vi☆Iran♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, loved-it
The awesomeness continues! If you're into anything supernatural, you need to read this series!
P.
Sep 02, 2011 P. rated it really liked it
I'm continuing to enjoy this, for the same reasons cited in my notes on vol. 1.
Daniel Garcia
Mar 20, 2017 Daniel Garcia rated it it was amazing
I like miagc and ghost black help people learn good skills and wing reason live no one human without nice never see nightschool. just like most all animals or demons?
Courtney
Sep 12, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
This review is from my blog, Studies in Storytelling. To see the complete version, please visit http://studiesinstorytelling.blogspot...

Nightschool is an American-published manga by Russian-Canadian mangaka Svetlana Chmakova, most famous for Dramacon.

A normal school by day, The Nightschool teaches vampires, weirns, mermaids, etc. The coarse, homeschooled Alex Treveney tries to track down her sister, Sarah, a teacher at the Nightschool. She also has a slight tendency to black out and leave slow,
Andrew Waldron
Mar 25, 2015 Andrew Waldron rated it really liked it
Cornerofmadness
Feb 14, 2010 Cornerofmadness rated it liked it

Determines to find out what happened to her sister, Alex Treveney tries to break into the night school where her sister was night keeper before she disappeared. Summarily caught and tossed out, Alex comes across two people she saw last book, a human girl and her vampire boyfriend. He gets Alex inside so she can investigate to no avail. She’s thrown back out but not before she meets up with another young woman and they sort of explode each other magically even though they don’t know why.

Alex ends
Shazza Maddog
Oct 31, 2011 Shazza Maddog rated it liked it
When we last left Alex, she was enrolling in the Night School with the help of a vampire and his human girlfriend. Now she's in the school, and things aren't going as well as she wants. She has managed to explore almost the entire school, but the only time she thought she might feel any link to Sarah is when she sneaked into the school in the first place. Alex has now met the lead girl of the school - and has been found wanting - however, she's also gotten enough attention with the way she and h ...more
Barbora
Nov 20, 2011 Barbora rated it liked it
Shelves: in-german, comics
Z jedničky jsem měla dojem, že být čaromějkou je obrovská vzácnost. Ve dvojce zjišťuji, že i když nejsou na každém kroku, tak je jich na magická stvoření celkem dost. Což je zajímavé z toho hlediska, že vidím různé designy astrálek (tahle stvořeníčka jsou boží) a scéna s démonickou učitelkou na hodině není špatná, ale doufala jsem, že Alex bude výjimečnější. I tak se zdá, že Alex má v rukávu další tajemství a i když není jedinou čaromějkou, tak je velmi nadanou čaromějkou.

Není to nic z čeho bych
Andre
Oct 30, 2014 Andre rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga-comics
I think this was a worthy sequel to the first volume. It keeps its good sense of humor,(view spoiler), but also had a few clichés, like the one wizard once finding Aramaic good, even though there is nothing really special about that language. But it's nonetheless pretty good so I do not want to spoil anything since it wou ...more
Mel
Dec 23, 2015 Mel rated it it was amazing
Diese Serie im Manga-Format, hat nichts mit den Büchern “Night School” von C.J. Daugherty zu tun. Es geht um Hexen, Vampire, Gestaltenwandler und Weirn (eine stärkere Form der Hexe). Alex ist ein junges Mädchen, die durch einen Vorfall, Zuhause unterrichtet wird. Ihre große Schwester Sarah ist Nachtwächterin an der Nightschool, die speziell für die Geschöpfe der Dunkelheit besucht wird. Ok, Hexen sind ja nicht per se Geschöpfe der Dunkelheit, aber ich denke ihr wisst schon was ich meine. Eines T ...more
Sarah Maddaford
The first book introduced a lot of things, but this one doesn't even begin to explain most of them. The majority of this book seems to have been taken to explain how the Night School works and that Alex is pretty powerful, but not much else. You get another glimpse of Sarah, but nothing new about what happened to her. You get two more encounters with Shifters, but no explanation of the Treaty. The author explains why the Seer was being mistreated, but not why she was there in the first place oth ...more
78sunny
Feb 10, 2014 78sunny rated it liked it
Ohne Band 1 gelesen zu haben, braucht man sich wirklich nicht an diesen Band wagen. Ich kannte Band 1 und war trotzdem am Anfang sehr verwirrt. Allgemein finde ich, dass am Anfang der Mangas alles etwas hektisch und verwirrend zugeht. Alex ist weiterhin auf der Suche nach ihrer Schwester und tritt nun der Nightschool bei. Die Charakterschwemme ist dabei wirklich nervig und man kommt kaum mit. Außerdem sind die meisten Charaktere wirklich unsympathisch. Zum Ende hin wird es dann wieder sehr spann ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 14, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it liked it
Alex's sister has disappeared and Alex goes to the Nightschool to find her. Getting in proves difficult and she ends up enrolling, but once inside everybody denies ever having even heard of her sister. Alex does make a friend, one of the hunters, a girl her own age and Alex has an astral attached to her which is mostly visible but can disappear when required, very cute. The hunters from book one are still in comas but no one knows Alex's connection in any way, including herself. The story progre ...more
Soobie's heartbroken
I read the first volume more than a month ago and it was a bit difficult to get into the story again. While reading I could piece together the most important details and then the plot started to flow again.

I can't say anything about the art because Čmakova is a wonderful artist. I especially love the way she draws the astrals. But she's a good artist also because she can draw different characters without me mixing them up.

The plot was a bit confused in the first volume and it keeps being confuse
Megan M
Mar 18, 2012 Megan M rated it it was amazing
Now we're getting into it!

Alex's sister, Sarah, has disappeared and her only clue is the location of the disappearance - the Night School. So Alex enrolls herself in the school to get closer to the action. We see a lot more of the school in this volume and continue to learn more about why Alex was homeschooled in the first place. I'm more interested in the story of the Hunters, a side-but-still-mostly-main-story-related story that is progressing quickly.

This manga is a great mix of humor and par
Dani
*Mild Spoilers*

Love the turn of events with Sarah and Alex's actions to try to fix them. I enjoyed Alex's determination to find Sarah. Facing fear is important. Roi and Dameon are pretty cool as the adults in the story.

This is really all plot. You like Alex and sympathize with her so it is easy to go along with the story. The drawings while comic book in flavor are really quite fitting for the nature of the story.

BOTTOM LINE: A nice installment of the story.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Apr 09, 2015 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
You know 4 volumes seems short for a series. Considering how many manga series lately have more than a couple of volumes and all, I don't know, guess I'm used to reading series with a lot of volumes. But its nice to find one that has a couple. This series is just getting interesting as we meet more characters. Love the covers for these.
Ricki
Aug 28, 2011 Ricki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, oel, horror
Svetlana Chmakova has got to be one of my favorite English-language manga-kas. Her work is so much fun with a style that is all her own! In the second installment of Nightschool, the mystery just keeps getting deeper and we learn a little more about all of the characters and the school itself. I cannot wait to read volume 3.
Storm
May 24, 2014 Storm rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, fiction
Ooooh! The Plot thickens! Sarah might not be permanently gone, someone wants Alex out of the way, the downed Hunters aren't looking too good and Alex's powers are showing themselves rather nicely! Seems at least one student half-remembers Sara too but is refusing to help. I can't wait to see what happens in Volume 3!
  • Bizenghast, Volume 4 (Bizenghast, #4)
  • Clover: Omnibus (Clover, #1-4)
  • Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 2
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #2)
  • Chibi Vampire, Vol. 03
  • +Anima 3 (+Anima, #3)
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries, Vol. 1 (Sorcerers & Secretaries, #1)
  • Gothic Sports: Volume 1
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 2
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund Vol 8
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 5 (Library Wars: Love & War, #5)
  • Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning, Vol. 06
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 10
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 4
Svetlana Chmakova (Russian: Светлана Шмакова) (born 1979 in Russia) is a comic creator. She is best known for Dramacon, an original English-language (OEL) manga spanning three volumes and published in North America by Tokyopop. Her other work includes the 2-page The Adventures of CG for CosmoGIRL! magazine and the webcomic Chasing Rainbows for Girlamatic. Though born in Russia, she immigrated to C ...more
More about Svetlana Chmakova...

Nightschool: The Weirn Books (4 books)
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1