Start by marking “The Mitochondrial Curiosities of Marcels 1 to 19” as Want to Read:
The Mitochondrial Curiosities of Marcels 1 to 19

The Mitochondrial Curiosities of Marcels 1 to 19

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Biology is not Dree’s thing. Equally heinous are English, Social Studies, her sister and mother, not to mention Edmonton in general. Toronto is where she belongs – specifically the upcoming Renegade Craft Fair where, finally, her crafts will be appreciated.

Escape is imminent: on her 15th birthday, she will get the special fund her father promised, and the day after that sh
Published October 14th 2004 by Coach House Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mitochondrial Curiosities of Marcels 1 to 19, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mitochondrial Curiosities of Marcels 1 to 19

Steph Bowe
Aug 06, 2009 Steph Bowe rated it really liked it
This was such an interesting, funny book; eccentric, artsy Dree makes for a fabulous narrator, and the troubles she gets into, the family - philanthropic and gifted younger sister Paige, deceased father Leonard who loved treasure hunts, Grandma working at a psychiatric hospital - and even the settings, made for an engaging, brilliantly different story.

Only a couple of small things bothered me: It felt like a fairly short novel, but it packs a really interesting plotline, and I think it finished
Lindy
Dree's 15th birthday is not at all as she had planned it. Her father had told her he was saving money in a special account for her and she intended to use the funds to fly to Toronto to attend the Renegade Craft Fair. Instead, her father had died suddenly and she was attending her father's memorial pancake breakfast in Edmonton. When Dree decides to search for the special account her father mentioned, she uncovers some pretty big family secrets.

Dree's voice is entertaining throughout her trials.
Kricket
this is a delightful little book that i purchased for the library half because of a good review and half because of the sock puppet on the cover.

the sock puppet turned out to be inaccurate. dree does make little creatures out of socks, but they're baby sock plushies named marcel- not puppets. she's a crafty girl, is dree, who writes her own DIY blog and dreams of moving to toronto to sell her wares. her father, leonard, supported her dream and promised her to set money aside each month in suppor
Lara
May 12, 2010 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fic
Despite some of the non-sequiturs in the dialogue and spatial relationships, which had me scratching my head, wondering what people were talking about and how on earth they got there, I liked this book with the coolest ironic crafts on the planet. Loved the nod to Anti-craft and the infamous knitted uterus. I was a bit irritated by Dree's unremitting use of 'tres','moi' and 'avec'. I know teenage girls are tres annoying, but I don't need to be hit over the head with it. The plot had some neat tw ...more
Sue
May 17, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Dree is a very crafty teen who hates living in Edmonton and wants desperately to move to Toronto. She hates school and has to go to school with her "perfect" sister in the same grade. Her father was going to give her a treasure hunt on her 15th birthday with a true treasure so she could go to Toronto. When he dies suddenly all her plans go up in smoke. But she discovers that there are some family secrets that are just begging to be discovered. She decides to try to find her treasure and figure o ...more
Tamara
Jul 15, 2013 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
I loved this one! Refreshing break from the usual teen romantic blathering. I checked out this book because it was not circulating well on my library shelf and it looked interesting and I couldn't just discard it. I wish more teen books were like this--intelligent, interesting, creative, and humorous. Unfortunately you have to actually use your brain, and pay attention, to appreciate this book. I can see certain teens enjoying this one (craft fanatics, children from dysfunctional families, smart ...more
Angie
Apr 27, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
i liked this book. i don't usually peruse the YA section, but this book's cover captured my attention and i thought, why not?
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I forget how I stumbled across this, but it sounded interesting, so I requested it from the library. Also, yay Canadian setting. But apparently even I have a limit for the amount of adolescent angst I can handle in fiction. That, combined with a sense that it wasn't moving quickly enough and wasn't gonzo enough, and a thought that the narrator was implausibly anti-consumerism for her age, are making me shelf this one. It had its interesting moments, but not enough to keep me reading.
Jessalyn King
Jun 23, 2011 Jessalyn King rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Dree is a craft-junkie who hates Edmonton and is teen-agedly dysfunctional. When her father dies after promising her a cash birthday gift she could have used for tickets to Toronto, she has to deal with the loss and staying in Edmonton with her all-too-perfect younger sister.

I read it in 4 hours as a celebration for finishing my homework. It was unexpectedly fabulous. The title caught me, but the story kept me reading.
Thorn MotherIssues
Feb 03, 2010 Thorn MotherIssues rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Cute and enjoyable, if not too deep. Every character mentioned has some role to play in the drama, of course. But I loved the excerpts from the narrator's craft blog and it was cute and felt like an accurate voice. Plus it's Canadian and who doesn't love that?
Debbie
Jul 25, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
Odd, yet very funny and touching story. Somewhat confusing, but perhaps that's in line with the feelings of this teen.
Kelly Barry
May 25, 2015 Kelly Barry rated it it was ok
Really wasn't as into it as I hoped to be. I wanted to like it more than I did
Claire
Aug 10, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
A great, quirky YA novel. A nice spin on the 'mystery-solving teen' genre.
Clare
Jun 17, 2009 Clare rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, canadian
I liked this a lot. Quirky, but not to over the top.
Crystal
Jan 28, 2010 Crystal rated it it was ok
Very intriguing narrator. Fast paced and funky.
Ghislaine
Ghislaine marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Dilis
Dilis added it
Jan 17, 2016
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Elizabeth Schroeder
Elizabeth Schroeder marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Jennifer Caloyeras
Jennifer Caloyeras rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Tarryn
Tarryn marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
M.
M. rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Rainchilde
Rainchilde rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2013
BeccaB
BeccaB rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013